Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:43:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 312
Total: 312

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A cautionary tale, London Uk  (Read 6554 times)

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
A cautionary tale, London Uk
« on: June 15, 2007, 07:37:48 pm »
I gashed the back of my thigh badly the other night and was bleeding heavily. I was told at Barnet General Hospital that they could not treat me in A & E because I was a 'health risk'. I have subsequently found out they are allowed to do this if you don't come in as a 999 case!! YES I'm complaining to the PCT, PALS, my consultant...everyone, but most people dont who have HIV as theyre scared of their status becoming public. Anyone who knows me will know how FURIOUS I am, but I'm also saddened. Because of my honesty, I'm being discriminated against...pure and simple. Its a policy that evidently several PCTs are employing in the cases of those 'with a communicable and infectious condition' and citing health and safety for justification.
OK my GPs nurse stitched me yesterday after removing over 20 bits of glass and she was brilliant...and complained herself, but until things change so we are ALL able to complain without fear, it will just get worse
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: A cautionary tale, London Uk
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 07:41:03 pm »
Tiggles,

You were refused medical care on the basis of your HIV? Outrageous!

I hope you're healing well.

MtD
(Who would have screamed the place down had he been treated in a similar fashion)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 08:38:22 pm »
Hi Tigger

Ths is taken from a NHS document I had in one of my study folders, I'm not sure when it was printed but I'm sure it is still in effect today.

"Your PCT must make sure there are enough services for people within their area and that these services are accessible. They must also make sure that all other health services are provided, including hospitals visits,...they are also responsible for getting health and social care systems working together to the benefit of patients"

Clearly this did not happen in your case, I'm sorry you had to go throught the trauma and stigma that is very much alive and kicking in the medical field.

Please don't give up until you get the answers you want..and to your satisfaction....like Matty I would have screamed and kicked up such a stink they would have been left no choice but to treat me and get me out of there.

Stay focused and keep on the backs of the powers that be.. eventually someone will get it.

Hugs
Jan :-*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 03:47:29 am »
I am sure the National AIDS Trust would like to hear about this.

NAT

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Cliff

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 03:48:08 am »
That sucks.  You would hope a hospital would be prepared for any type of health risk.  I hope your complaints result in some satisfactory explanations (and an apology).

cliff

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 09:51:13 am »
On top of having the injury to deal with at the time, how infuriating to be mistreated that way.

If you're up for investing a some time in writing a letter, I recommend sending a registered letter, return receipt requested, (which means someone has to sign for it), about this experience and exactly what happened directly to the UK Minister of Health, whomever he or she is. Do a cc to the head administrator of the hospital and to the Health Editor of whichever newspaper(s) and tv stations you want to add on. Maybe cc whoever the parliament rep is for the district as well. I mean MAKE SOME NOISE and scare these jerks!

I'm betting you'll get a response. And you'd likely be doing a favor to other future patients.

Hope you're mending ok now.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 10:00:58 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline ajm_ldn

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 04:12:49 pm »
I know it's not ideal (or very brave), but this issue is the reason why I go by a pseudonym at my HIV clinic, and why my regular doctor / clinic has no idea I'm HIV+.

I just don't want to deal with the potential problems caused by some people's shocking / appalling level of ignorance.    ::)

PS - I hope you follow up on Matt's suggestion to contact NAT, so they can nail the b*stards who treated you that way, and make 'em think twice before trying that stunt again!   :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 04:23:21 pm by ajm_ldn »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 04:20:18 pm »
I know it's not ideal (or very brave), but this issue is the reason why I go by a pseudonym at my HIV clinic, and why my regular doctor / clinic has no idea I'm HIV+! 

I just don't want to deal with the potential problems caused by some people's shocking / appalling level of ignorance.   ;)

I can't imagine you not telling your doctor you're HIV+...you might be compromising your healthcare. How in the world do you get away with a pseudonym? Is that legal?

Offline ajm_ldn

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 04:26:22 pm »
Dachshund,

I rely on my HIV docs to sort out my HIV issues.  Othewise, I'm healthy as can be and smart enough to look after myself.  Thanks!

Legal or no, who cares?  I think society has more pressing issues to deal with.

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 08:40:35 am »
I can't believe they can get away with that it's absolutely ridiculous.  Trying to justify it as a health and safety precaution as well.  Let us know how the complaints go I hope something gets done about it, where else do they expect you to go if your GP practice is closed?
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline tigger2376

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 07:23:18 pm »
All now in hand. Very dignified and unemotional letters have been sent to PCT, PALS, consultant and others. GP has sent letter of complaint too as I was advised to contact their out of hours service. Had to cool down before knee jerk reaction otherwise I think I would have sounded like a maniac...justifiable under circumstances but needed to think how to say 'your'e a buch of ignorant f@@@ers and you made me feel like I should be ringing a bell and shouting unclean' into more 'health service' language.
My reaction even a year ago would have been to have created merry hell, and a scene, but have had problems with this hospital before (on wards), and know they at best treat you as an oddity, at worst a pariah. yes, it wasnt life threatening, but it bloody hurt, as a result of their attitude I couldnt have stitches, and have had to have silver nitrate treatment AND WE ALL DESREVE THE SAME TREATMENT.
For all my restraint in my complaints I'm still bloody furious, SEETHING
will keep you informed
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline md

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 04:24:14 am »
How on earth can a hospital A&E department claim that treating someone that they *know* has HIV is a greater risk than treating someone whose status they *don't* know!!

Surely they have to take the same precautions with *all* patients to guard against the possibility of a myriad of "health risks" of which HIV is only one ...

Offline Central79

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 09:44:40 am »
Hey

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. It's great that you're standing up and making some noise over this, because it really is a disgrace. I hope you get some redress and things change as a result.

M.
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline tigger2376

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 07:53:28 pm »
Have now had a very cautiously worded apology from Primary Care trust who run the hospital. Have met with them and STILL not happy. I think they think because I'm positive I'm not going to go public with this. I also have witness statements and full backing from my care providers. The PCT seem to think I just want money. Dont get me wrong..if it wont further damage care there I probably will settle for an out of court payment, but only on MY terms. I want to make sure this never happens to anyone else.
I'm lucky, despite my HIV I'm still a relatively good healer, so whilst I've still got a dressing on my leg, and it hurts when they clean it, its getting there. IF they'd just put stitches in, my scar would have been smaller and my GP would not had had to take up valuable time treating me for longer.
I still think the NHS is largely better than this, just goes to show how ignorant and just plain stupid people still are. It also shows that my status is CLEAR on my hospital records...even if I'd wanted not to disclose it would have been accessible
Will update, NOT letting this go

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 10:23:36 pm »
You're absolutely right and I back you up ! Keep us posted, tigger!!!!!

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Ulong

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 11:10:05 pm »
 Sounds like you're in the middle of a full smackdown. Bet after you're through they won't be pulling any more crap.

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 11:46:34 pm »
Dachshund,

I rely on my HIV docs to sort out my HIV issues.  Othewise, I'm healthy as can be and smart enough to look after myself.  Thanks!

Legal or no, who cares?  I think society has more pressing issues to deal with.

Not to hijack, but fraud is fraud and is prosecuted when discovered.

Tigs-
Sorry I've not contributed before to this discussion. As with everyone else I'm appalled and waiting for how this gets resolved.

Brent
(Who hopes his Tigs is feeling springy again)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline keyite

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 07:32:15 am »
They're obviously hoping a standard letter of apology will make you go away quietly. If they had any sense they'd set up an internal enquiry to ensure there'll be no repeat of this disgraceful breach of their duty of care. The ignorance these A&E staff demonstrated is truly breathtaking and they're sorely letting down their better informed and more professional colleagues within the NHS. Glad to hear you'll stick with it! 

Offline camille07

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 08:44:12 am »
Tigs-

First of all, perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but it is utterly unacceptable that you should not be given the care you required.   Their actions have compounded unnecessary stress to your health.

I hope you fight them all the way.  Their weak apologies won't help other people down the road.

Offline ubotts

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 09:32:35 am »
HI Tigger
I went though something similar when I was rushed to the ER..They treated me like i was dirt and looked
down upon me..One triage nurse, was taking blood from me without using gloves, and i told her to put them
on and i was hiv pos..She freaked out because she had a few papercuts, and she couldnt get my vain, so
there was blood all over me and the bed..I thought that they looked at your folder before doing anything..but i
was wrong ..She never bothered to look so I had to tell her..
She was a nervous wreck worrying if my blood had got into her fingertips..I told her to get bleach and
clean herself off..She ran out of the room and didnt return..She never sent another nurse in, so i was
about to walk out of the hospital..My friend said go back in there and ask for another nurse..so i did.
and she helped me, and also gave me the name of the first nurse who freaked out..
I reported her to social services and in no time flat, she was fired.......How friggen ignorant...Ya think they would know how to handle us by now...Geesh...It was quite a day for me as it was for you..Glad u
filed a report and glad I went back inside instead of leaving........Now Nurse Crachet is gone.  :o)
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.