Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 07:34:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773408
  • Total Topics: 66364
  • Online Today: 307
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 267
Total: 268

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How long does it take for side effects to show up?  (Read 8725 times)

Offline Jeff1959

How long does it take for side effects to show up?
« on: January 17, 2007, 12:15:16 pm »
I just started on meds, and was wondering how long it takes for any side effects, if there are going to be any, to show up.  I am currently on Truvada and Sustiva, along with Septra.

Offline Tucsonwoody

Re: How long does it take for side effects to show up?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 01:05:59 pm »
Hey Jeff -

I am no expert so can only tell you what I have learned on the few months since my diagnosis and starting on Atripla.  For myself, I havn't really had much impact from side effects since starting at the end of November.  I read up on the possible side effects on different websites including this one and was ready to have everything from rash all over to throwing up and running to the john all day, so for me the mental expectations for something that never happened was the worst part so far.

My doctor had also gone over the possible side effects pretty throughly, but also said that most of them would last for only a short time if I got them at all.

But I have read alot here in the forums of people who have them from day one to people who seem to get some years into their treatment to people who never have any, so it seems to vary from person to person for all kinds of reasons.

Best thing to do is be aware of what to look for and know what is a major side effect that requires attention and other side effects that you can just deal with.

Hope that helps a little and that you have few side effects and great results from the meds, which makes it worthwhile.

Kevin
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline ademas

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 01:34:24 pm »
I'm sure there's no set time frame.
As Tucson said, some people here have gone for years without any major side effects.
I was on my first combo (Crixivan, AZT, 3TC) for over 5 years before any major side effects (not counting diarrhea...)
After a few years, I was convinced that not only were the meds working for me, but that I would always tolerate them well without many side effects. 
It didn't end up that way for me, but hey...I'm just one person.

Offline Jeff1959

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 11:13:15 am »
Thanks for the input.   Like I said, I'm just starting.  Last night I did start to feel a little itchy after taking them, but I think I'll just pick up some Benedryl for that.  I don't itch today, so I guess it's just a temporary reaction after taking it.   My Doc said if I do well on the Truvada and Sustiva, he would switch me to the Atripla, and once I get to undetectable, he would stop the Septra.   That will be fine with me....I already take too many pills everyday.  I'm also on Vicodin and Neurontin for nerve pain from disk problems at L5 S1 and L4 L5, but that's another story.

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 09:54:36 am »
My doctor did the same thing on the Sustiva / Truvada combo.  I initially had itchy skin but a benedryl (half dose) kept it in check for me.  I also have heard taking an bath in Aveeno can help with the itching.  It passed within a week and never was too bothersome. 
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline Morton Salt

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 03:44:26 pm »
Hey Jeff.

Ive been on meds a few months now.  Truvada, lexiva and norvir is what i take.  I was asking that same question to my doctor and she said this, " DONT SIT AND WAIT FOR THE SIDE EFFECTS, GO ON AND LIVE YOUR LIFE".  So my advice is, dont look out for it.  Dont create catastrophy's that might never happen.   Good luck to ya mate.

~Morton

Offline Morton Salt

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 03:45:47 pm »
Oh, and i forgot to mention. I have no side effects.   They never happened.

~Morton

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 03:51:05 pm »
It also depends on what you mean by 'side effect'.  Do you mean nausea, diarrhea and such...or more severe things like lipodystrophy and kidney problems?  There is commonly nausea and the like a few days after one begins taking the meds that can last for days to weeks or more.  Some lucky joes never have the first problem.  Any of the problems- from simple to complex- vary from person to person and regimen to regimen.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 04:13:18 pm »
yah... I've been on almost all the available meds at one time or another.  Some I've had side effects from, some not.  Some have been kind of major, some minor.  Generally stuff like nausea and headaches can happen in the first few weeks and then as your body adjusts to the medication will gradually diminish and you're over the hump.  To be honest I've been lucky and never had much nausea from stuff, but headaches yes.  Aspirin works so it's not that big of a deal.  Only one time did I have to stop something and that was Ziagen... whatever side effect for that one that makes you have to halt taking it and never take it again.  I think that's the only medication like that... was it a rash?  It was about 7 years ago so I don't recall it that well.

Then I had a bad sulfur based reaction to bactrim a decade ago or so.  I was on it for a good year or more before my body started to have a reaction, so this caused my doctor and I to take a while to identify it.  I started having frequent low-grade fevers.  Enough to be miserable, not enough to miss work though I might have missed a day.  Anyway, by that time my cd4's were up high enough to quit it so in the end it wasn't a big deal.

Then there's the long term effects.  PI's have always give me LOTS of the trots.  LOTS, and I didn't complain about them enough because, well, everyone knows to expect them but evidently once I complained enough they said mine were more than others were having.  I've popped copious amounts of immodium (prescribed loperamide) for around 8 years.

Anyway, bottom line is it all varies and the more you fixate on expecting them the more you will trick yourself into thinking a paper cut is a side effect of your HIV medication.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 09:03:17 pm »
Hello Jeff ,

Can't really give you more information, then what has already been given to you. Everyone is going to react differently. Some have problems, with the meds, others can get by relatively easy on the meds.

Some people will have diarrhea, I have never had those problems with the meds that I am on.

I am sure your doctor will be monitoring you through blood test, to make sure everything is ok. Hopefully you will get through this starting phase with very little problem. I believe ( from what I understand, side effect can begin within the first two weeks, and take up to 6 weeks. If you drink, alcohol, you should probably avoid it for a while.

Make sure to drink plenty of water. You should have at least 8 full glasses of water a day. It is very important, to drink enough water, just don't overdo it !!

Let us know how you are doing-----------Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mathewscity

• San Francisco, at the beach
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 04:32:17 am »
I started meds (Atripla) on the first of this month (February).  Today is the last day of the month, and as far as side affects, the only thing that I can see a difference of is that I am STARVING when I wake up in the morning.  That started probably on the 2ND or 3rd night I took them.  They say to take it before bedtime, but I never have had a specific bedtime in the past 20 years.  So if I am awake when the meds start kicking in, I feel the same way when I am stoned!!  I just sit there sometimes and watch T.V. and either fall asleep or just wait till it wears off.    Nothing yet as far as those other side affects that we've both heard about.  Hopefully it'll stay that way.  So good luck.....
"wherever you go, there you are"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.