Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:33:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 334
Total: 336

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What Do We Need To Do?  (Read 22440 times)

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
Re: What Do We Need To Do?
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2007, 12:17:24 am »
Please pass the Thorazine.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2007, 12:56:09 am »
Lisa: When you're done with it, please pass it over to me. Thanks so much. I think it's time to watch those edited preacher videos again. DingoBoi's "I loved my neighbor"post made me think of the last time I had a good laugh. Although, on the down side, I'm sorry to hear, DingoBoi, you're having med issues. I hope things straighten out.

Tim, Brothers and Sisters is quite good. I've managed to watch it, without planning to, a couple of times and it is well cast. Sally is doing a great job. Rob and Calista are definitely holding their own and soon, I suspect, will be holding each other.  I, too, don't watch much TV, but this show makes sitting for a spell easy.

Em
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 12:57:55 am by emeraldize »

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2007, 07:52:53 am »
We were discussing the TV campaign that they had last year.

Eldon,

You still did not answer my question in a way that gives me any understanding to what this thread is about.  What TV campaign are you talking about -- and who is "they" (I'm assuming the people behind this mystery campaign, but I hate assuming).  I am seeing nothing in this thread that discusses any campaign, and your original post only referred to "controversial issues".  I'm not sure what it is that you are trying to do with this thread or some of your others, but you might end up being far more successful if YOU speak with CLARITY and stop having others decipher your agenda (which we probably get wrong far more frequently than not).

Mike

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2007, 08:01:47 am »

'O see ye not yon narrow road,
So think beset with thorns and briers?
That is the path of righteousness,
Tho after it but few enquires.

'And see not ye that braid braid road,
That lies across the lily leven?
That is the path of wickedness,
Tho some call it the road to heaven.

'And see not ye that bonny road,
That winds about the fernie brae?
That is the road to fair Elfland,
Where thou and I this night maun gae.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 08:16:15 am by Dachshund »

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2007, 09:31:58 am »
I'm pretty sure that I'll go to Hell for saying this, but the picture in post #3 looks kinda homoerotic.

Trust me Tim when I tell you, THAT is not the reason you are going to hell!!! LOL
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2007, 09:38:45 am »
I like the sounds of your denomination.  As a mostly firm ANTI believer its nice to see that some out there preach what I think God and Jesus would have wanted.  I think there main message was... DONT BE A DICK!

And as Bill Maher says... God is simply grown mans imaginary friend!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 09:48:19 am by ACinKC »
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Eldon

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2007, 05:36:13 pm »
Mike,

The original question was..."What do we need to in order to get along with each other?" "Regardless or our differences?"

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2007, 08:47:02 pm »
So I take it you took a peek at Brothers and Sisters?  I am totally hooked.  Housewives is an ongoing addiction.  I've gone for years barely watching any televison at all.  Not so these days...5 or 6 I see each week.

Gonna put that show on the TIVO to do list!

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2007, 08:53:46 pm »

Eldon,

You still did not answer my question in a way that gives me any understanding to what this thread is about.  What TV campaign are you talking about -- and who is "they" (I'm assuming the people behind this mystery campaign, but I hate assuming).  I am seeing nothing in this thread that discusses any campaign, and your original post only referred to "controversial issues".  I'm not sure what it is that you are trying to do with this thread or some of your others, but you might end up being far more successful if YOU speak with CLARITY and stop having others decipher your agenda (which we probably get wrong far more frequently than not).

Mike

A new television ad by the United Church of Christ that stresses the church's diversity has already been rejected by major networks as "too controversial," the second time a UCC ad has been banned from the airwaves.

The 30-second "Ejector" ad features several people -- a black woman, a gay couple, a Middle Eastern man, an elderly man in a walker -- who are ejected from their church pews.
"God doesn't reject people," the ad says. "Neither do we."

The new ad, which cost about $1.5 million to make, will debut on April 3, but not on ABC, NBC, CBS or Fox. The three networks rejected the commercial as an inappropriate "advocacy" ad because of its references to homosexuality, race and ethnicity.

Last year, the networks rejected a similar ad featuring bouncers behind a velvet rope keeping various people out of a church.

"The message of the commercial is simple," the Rev. John Thomas, the UCC's general minister and president, said Monday (March 27). "No matter who you are, or where you are on life's journey, you are welcome here at the United Church of Christ."

Thomas said he found it "odd and bewildering" that the ads would be rejected. The UCC has launched a new Web site, www.accessibleairwaves.org, to prod the networks towards including mainstream religious voices.

The ad will be shown for at least three weeks, with hopes to extend its run through Mother's Day (May 14). It has been accepted on a dozen cable networks, including CNN, the Discovery Channel and A&E.

Ron Buford, who directs the UCC's "God is Still Speaking" campaign, said the 1.3 million-member church was not trying to take a swipe at other churches by billing itself as more welcoming and diverse.
"It does not mean to suggest that other churches reject people and that we have not; we have," Buford said. "We too can forget our core business, and these ads speak to us as well."

See the ads at http://www.stillspeaking.com/media/

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2007, 09:13:46 pm »
I like the sounds of your denomination.  As a mostly firm ANTI believer its nice to see that some out there preach what I think God and Jesus would have wanted.  I think there main message was... DONT BE A DICK!

And as Bill Maher says... God is simply grown mans imaginary friend!

Well, the raison d'etre for many institutions, organizations, structures, movements, etc is to answer questions regarding man's relationship not only to his fellow man (i.e. law, government, religion etc.), but to his Creator (most definitely religion here); to his habitat (architecture, environmentalism) - so Eldon's question as to What Do We Need To Do could have answers framed in different perspectives.  I think the problem with "Don't be a dick!" is that it uses a subjective standard as what actions comprise being a dick...lol. 

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2007, 09:24:00 pm »
Unbelieveable.  So a second ad had also now been rejected?  I remember the first ad clearly.  It did not make any message beyond "God welcomes all, and so do we''.  This new one sounds like it does the same.  I am failing to grasp what the objectionable part of that is.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2007, 10:24:13 pm »
It sounds like adjustments are in order on their part.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2007, 08:39:44 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean, Eldon - adjustments are needed are on their part....it sounds to me that if someone "rejected" your commercial you would change your commercial.  While Jesus says turn the other cheek, he doesn't say to change who you are or what you believe in.  If your solution to what we need to do to get along despite our differences, is to change your differences then I believe you would be what is known as a syncophant.  So gay should become straight so that others can get along despite their differences...black should become white...

Offline Eldon

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2007, 09:42:21 pm »
A commercial can be presented with the same intent with a different approach. Change is adjustment to the certain variables that exists. The entire marketing indusrty makes adjustments on a daily basis in order to compensate with the flow of the consumer market today.

No one is saying that it has to do with your private life. In this situation it is no ones business what goes on behind closed doors. What IS important is the intent of making the difference and to get the job done right the first time in order to find a effective solution to suffice for the needs that are in existence.

"What Can I do today to make a better Tommorrow?"

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2007, 10:43:20 pm »
Sigh ... i guess i am just too cynical to take anything presented in a commercial seriously, and find it profoundly disappointing that people either:

1.  take them seriously   or
2.  feel they are so much more intelligent than everyone else that they worry about whether or not commercials are sending some kind of profoundly important message to the masses

Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2007, 10:45:06 pm »
Well said. The TRUTH cuts like a knife.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2007, 07:58:24 am »
An inherent part of a message is the way that message is packaged and delivered.  Some insults are best served hot, some best served cold.  Yet, the message remains.  The question then devolves into who should decide whether the message is delivered at all, especially over public airwaves.  Its not a question of "mak[ing] adjustments on a daily basis in order to compensate with the flow of the consumer market today."

What IS important is the intent of making the difference and to get the job done right the first time in order to find a effective solution to suffice for the needs that are in existence.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.  I have no idea what job, what effective solution or what needs you have identified.  Your solution may be that of a harried mother who is tired of her six children bickering, "Everybody sit down and SHUT UP!"  There, now everyone is getting along despite their differences....

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2007, 08:02:18 am »
With time you will find that neither does he.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2007, 08:08:23 am »
Sigh ... i guess i am just too cynical to take anything presented in a commercial seriously, and find it profoundly disappointing that people either:

2.  feel they are so much more intelligent than everyone else that they worry about whether or not commercials are sending some kind of profoundly important message to the masses

Certainly, most commercials would tell you that you need to drive the right car, wear the right clothes, use the right toilet paper and toothpaste and indeed, the world would be a better place.  Networks are used to and comfortable handling that type of message and I imagine despite your protests above, that you have been influenced in your selection of merchandise and services by commercials..

The underlying message in the UCC commercials is that "No matter who you are, no matter where you are on life's journey, you are welcome here."  Simple.  Surprisingly, profound, at least enough make network executives squirm.  And yet, a part of the puzzle as to What Do We Need To Do...To Get Along Despite Our Differences...

Offline Eldon

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2007, 03:54:18 pm »
In every situation there IS a middle ground. It just has to be found.

"What Can I do today to make a better Tomorrow?"

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2007, 09:48:14 pm »
Person A: I believe in the death penalty for criminals.
Person B: I do not believe in the death penalty for criminals.

There is no middle ground for these two positions.  Yet, the surprising thing is that no middle ground need be found for these two people to get along despite their differences.  Rather, each must merely admit that while they disagree with the other's position, they respect the other's right to that position.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2007, 10:11:40 pm »
What's that saying?

"A good compromise leaves everybody mad."
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2007, 10:26:12 pm »
Person A: I am a top.
Person B: I am a top.

Ah, shit - compromise and take turns.  Grin and bear it.  Take it like a man.  Clearly, the middle ground doesn't work here.

Offline chm02

• id est
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2007, 10:43:04 pm »
1.As much as possible, try to let go of the blame/shame game. Begin practising this with yourself. :)

2.Don't believe everything you think.

3. Have some understanding of your strengths and weaknesses, and be able to share this information. (see 1.)

4. We're all doing the best that we can, all the time.

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2007, 12:48:56 am »

While I believe the vast majority of commercials are merely vehicles for brainwashing sheep into believing their lives will be improved by a toothpaste, mouthwash, deodorant, brand of underwear, car, etc. there have always been exceptions.  The UCC commercials definitely fall into the latter category.  TV is the most common form of infotainment for the majority of US Americans and PSAs/commercials about aging, cancer, AIDS, pollution, racism, sexual discrimination, etc. have been successful in altering some peoples' views or at least sparking a thought in their consumeristic heads. 

I really don't understand no. 2 -- who said or implied they were more intelligent than anyone else?  I don't see that in the thread anywhere.   Why shouldn't advertisers such as the UCC want to promote acceptance of others?  The question isn't whether the message is profoundly important or not, it's whether the message is valid.  I think the message of acceptance is extremely valid in our society today as much as it ever was.

For the record, I don't watch cable, satellite, or network TV so if not for the link above I wouldn't ever see the commercials anyway.  If I were stuck watching TV and one of those commercials came on it would hold my interest a lot more than most of the crap shoved down the throats of your "average" viewer. 

As an atheist I usually pay attention to organized religion only when it tries to infringe on my rights.  As fondeveau pointed out, however, the UCC was one of the first religions to speak against slavery, a view unshared by mainstream religions at the time.  There was no TV to get the message out then but slowly society understood the enormity of enslaving fellow humans and the practice was abolished (in its then-present form -- now slavery is more a matter of class).  TV has the capability to reach millions of people with the same message at once, which is why I applaud commercials like those of the UCC, which attempt to foster the slow but positive changes still needed in our society.  TV is a vast wasteland, yes, but even among all the hours/days/years of shit there are occasionally a few worthwhile minutes.

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2007, 04:24:51 pm »
While I believe the vast majority of commercials are merely vehicles for brainwashing sheep into believing their lives will be improved by a toothpaste, mouthwash, deodorant, brand of underwear, car, etc.

I really don't understand no. 2 -- who said or implied they were more intelligent than anyone else?  I don't see that in the thread anywhere. 

TV is a vast wasteland, yes, but even among all the hours/days/years of shit there are occasionally a few worthwhile minutes.

Boo

Boo... Assuming you actually believe statements 1 and 3, then it follows that you would not understand the implication I made (in my statement 2) as they demonstrate exactly the kind of intellectual superiority complex to which I refer.  That being said, I am guilty of such things myself. 
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2007, 07:19:20 pm »
Benj: Better yet...What IS the truth?

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2007, 07:26:49 pm »
Benj: Better yet...What IS the truth?

I'm an empiricist... so I would say the truth is that which is experienceable and verifiable through observation.  Facts, in other words. 
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Eldon

« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2007, 07:32:47 pm »
Benj: Take A Bow.

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2007, 02:01:20 pm »
Boo... Assuming you actually believe statements 1 and 3, then it follows that you would not understand the implication I made (in my statement 2) as they demonstrate exactly the kind of intellectual superiority complex to which I refer.  That being said, I am guilty of such things myself. 

Um, your initial post seems to be an example of the superiority complex you ascribe to me...

I've spent my entire life assiduously avoiding intellectuals.  I am not superior to anyone, intellectually or otherwise, even George W. Bush, for we are all fallible humans. 

I tried to join MENSA but was rejected.  My IQ is too high.

Boo
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 02:17:30 pm by Boo Radley »
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2007, 02:29:00 pm »
Don't scare me...for a second there I thought it was another Lazarus rising.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 03:46:52 pm by Dachshund »

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2007, 03:13:19 pm »
Don't scare me...for a second there I thought it was another Lazurus rising.

Ok, Aunty Doxie~~~ You fooled me, I thought Eldon was back. I have been wondering where he has been? All I can say is that I hope everything is ok with him.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline David_CA

« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2007, 04:17:40 pm »
Person A: I am a top.
Person B: I am a top.

Ah, shit - compromise and take turns.  Grin and bear it.  Take it like a man.  Clearly, the middle ground doesn't work here.

Maybe no middle ground, but an easy solution...

Person A: I am a bottom.
Person B: I am a bottom.
Solution: Go find person C who is at least versatile (and hopefully a top)
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2007, 04:39:33 pm »
Maybe no middle ground, but an easy solution...

Person A: I am a bottom.
Person B: I am a bottom.
Solution: Go find person C who is at least versatile (and hopefully a top)

I vote for versatility and try to practice it in my own life.  Unfortunately, it seems the vast majority of gay folks are one or the other.  Invite me to your next orgy -  ;D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.