Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:42:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 350
Total: 352

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pre-existing health insurance plans  (Read 3546 times)

Offline gregftl

• Standard
Pre-existing health insurance plans
« on: July 14, 2010, 06:01:13 pm »
Well the new health insurance plans for people with pre-existing conditions kicked in july 1st. U can download an application online i'll provide a link after my short little rant here. Ok, I thought health reform was supposed to provide ...and i quote "affordable health care for all". Well according to the FAQ on the pre-existing health insurance website there will be a 2500 dollar deductible. 30 dollar copays on doctors visits. 3-40 dollar co-pays depending on the prescription. I dont like that word "depending". And u pay 20percent of any other costs......meaning stuff like bloodwork. OK here is the biggie. 500-600/month premiums! That's affordable? Who in the world can afford to pay out a 2500 deductible plus 5-600/month on a premium. Good god. Funny it says on the faq if you cant afford their plans you might consider applying for medicaid. LOL. That's funny u pretty much have to be at poverty level income to get medicaid. Do they actually think a person making 40-50 grand a year that has to support 2 people can afford 500-600 a month premiums on top of the deductible and 20percent of all other costs plus co-pays? So much for health care reform. I must say I'm very disappointed. This isnt an option for me. No way I can afford that. Link below

http://www.pcip.gov/

Offline Jeffreyj

Re: Pre-existing health insurance plans
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 06:17:34 pm »
I just downloaded the Obama Domestic Aids Policy.

>:(The Affordable Care Act, which will greatly expand access to insurance coverage for people living with HIV, will provide a platform for improvements in health care coverage and quality. High risk pools are available immediately. High risk pools will be established in every state to provide coverage to uninsured people with chronic conditions. In 2014, Medicaid will be expanded to all lower income individuals (below 133% of the Federal poverty level, or about $15,000 for a single individual in 2010) under age 65. Uninsured people with incomes up to 400% of the Federal poverty level (about $43,000 for a single individual in 2010) will have access to Federal tax credits and the opportunity to purchase private insurance coverage through competitive insurance exchanges. New consumer protections will better protect people with private insurance coverage by ending discrimination based on health status and pre-existing conditions. Gaps in essential care and services for people living with HIV will continue to need to be addressed along with the unique biological, psychological, and social effects of living with HIV. Therefore, the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program and other Federal and State HIV-focused programs will continue to be necessary after the law is implemented. Additionally, improving health outcomes requires continued investments in research to develop safer, cheaper, and more effective treatments. Both public and private sector entities must take the following steps to improve service delivery for people living with HIV:

So, don't make over 43k per year, or ou are screwed? ughhhhhhhhhhh
Positive since 1985

Offline edfu

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 07:59:09 pm »
Health-care reform?  Surely you jest.  I said it when it passed, and I'll say it again, it's really the Insurance Industry Profit Protection and Enhancement Act. 
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 09:59:47 pm »
Greg and Jeffrey,

I eyed this a little bit ago noting the 2010 and 2014 timelines and reached a similar conclusion about the unaffordability of healthcare.  Thanks to the both of you for clarifying it for us.

Although I have group coverage and a decent job now, I shudder to think about possible changes to my situation in the future along with others with pre-existing conditions who will face a huge struggle to obtain healthcare coverage.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:01:24 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 10:41:40 pm »
Greg and Jeffrey,

I eyed this a little bit ago noting the 2010 and 2014 timelines and reached a similar conclusion about the unaffordability of healthcare.  Thanks to the both of you for clarifying it for us.

Although I have group coverage and a decent job now, I shudder to think about possible changes to my situation in the future along with others with pre-existing conditions who will face a huge struggle to obtain healthcare coverage.

How is there a struggle for coverage?  As I understand it, the laws require that eole be graned access in spite of pre-existing conditions.  Its the fact that they don't seem to be wiling to cap premiums if you make 400% of poverty or more that makes the whole thing laughable.  Are they doing ANYTHING for those of us who make more than that?
09/01/2009-neg
mid april, 2010, "flu like illness".
06/01/2010-weakly reactive ELISA, indeterminant WB
06/06/2010-reactive ELISA, confirmed positive.

DATE       CD4     %     VL
07/15/10  423     33    88k
08/28/10  489     19    189k
09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA
09/15/10  420     38    1400
11/21/10  517     25    51

Offline adhoc

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 11:15:21 pm »
From all Im reading is that the current High Risk Pools are the answer till the full law takes affect in 2014 when they can no longer deny or overcharge for insurance. While the pools are outrageously priced from what Ive read so far, I keep reading that after 2014 we are to be treated just like anyone else and pay what everyone else pays. It sucks for now and the law shouldnt have been made for so many people to wait to 2014. Im glad about one thing that while HIV is expensive Im glad I dont have it worse like with cancer, I couldnt imagine that cost. I want to assert that I do not agree with the HRP pricing and the foot dragging with this disease, I still think that the bill offers much more than it leaves out. I guess the true test will be with time.
This is where I got the link.

http://www.healthcare.gov/law/timeline/index.html

INCREASING ACCESS TO AFFORDABLE CARE

Providing Access to Insurance for Uninsured Americans with Pre-Existing Conditions
National program established July 1, 2010

A Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan will provide new coverage options to individuals who have been uninsured for at least six months because of a pre-existing condition. States have the option of running this new program in their state. If a state chooses not to do so, a plan will be established by the Department of Health and Human Services in that state. This program serves as a bridge to 2014, when all discrimination against pre-existing conditions will be prohibited. Learn more about the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan.
alea iacta est

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 11:48:42 pm »
4yrs (2014) might as well be an eternity for people with hiv/aids who are on waiting lists for adap and dont have access to health insurance....and.....cant afford the pre-existing health insurance now offered. might as well be a death sentence.

I hope everyone on this forum has called or emailed their senator/congressman to get light a match under their asses to get that 150million dollar emergency funding that is needed for ADAP so we can get rid of these waiting lists. Here in Florida not only do we have wait lists now of around 605 people they have also drastically reduced the ADAP RX formulary to save more money.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:56:05 pm by gregftl »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.