Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:43:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 202
Total: 202

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Hiv needle  (Read 19272 times)

Offline snakeman

• Standard
Hiv needle
« on: October 16, 2012, 04:46:54 am »
Hi
I have read lot of posts and many of you experts say that infection cannot happen during blood draw. I want to know why.
I went to a private clinic in London for a HIV test (I did not have a exposure I understood after reading your forum and there was no need to test but still I did it). The test came back negative and I was very happy but then I panicked and thought that doctor has infected me (he was a good doctor but still) so went to another private clinic and requested for a test complaining about the previous one. The doctor said you are in the window period and comeback after few days. I went after 2 days but there was another old senior doctor in his 60's waiting for me to get my blood taken for PCR test. He looked weird and did not talk to me a lot and said that you have to stop this and showed me the box of green needles. I picked one and saw it and put back in. Then I dont know whether he used a fresh needle from the box or had a tainted one waiting for me. He was doing something with the needle but I was not able to see that. I saw some needle in a white stopper but not sure whether it was a clean one. He just put that into my vein. I was not able to see whether there was blood on it or in the tip. If I was able to see the tip I would not be worried but now I am. I called them up but the doctor was not freindly at all and refered to me to a councellor who is works with him. The test also came back negative. I doubt the reliability though.
Please help me by answer my questions.
1. Will blood dry in a needle in 5 mins as it will take 5 mins for him to prepare a blood tainted needle I suppose.
2. Is it possible that even if there is blood on the tip it will be exposed to air  and not able to infect. Bood drawing is not a risk at all compared to injecting as read in other forums.
3. I know this is irrational thinking but there are criminal doctors and nurses in the world.
4. I know I was lucky with my previous doctor but can I be lucky this time. I know you will say irrational thinking and move on etc but still there is a chance if there is no chance tell me why.
5. I am going to take a home test so that I am completly safe doing it and hope so will end my story. I should have done this before but did not know that this existsed.

You guys are doing a great job by helping people like us giving us right advice. Please help.

Offline snakeman

• Standard
Re: Hiv needle
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 04:10:22 am »
Hi
Please someone reply.
Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 04:56:23 am »
Reread your thread an look at how irrational it is. No doctor is going to reuse a needle.

Offline snakeman

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 05:47:58 am »
Thanks Rod.
I know no doctor will do it. But what if someone wants to do it and can he really do. Is that really possible. Will the virus survive in such a needle. Does the virus dies immediately it comes in contact with air unable to infect. If there is blood on the tip of needle how fast it will dry. Please help

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 07:03:33 am »
Snake,

If a doctor or other health care professional wanted to infect you they wouldn't try to do it during a blood draw, because that is an extremely inefficient method. They would need to inject blood into you and that cannot happen during a blood draw.

It would be next to impossible to reuse a needle for a blood draw anyway, because any blood left over in the needle would clot and block the needle. That's why if they're having a hard time getting blood from you, they will use a new needle after a minute or so.

Blood on the tip of the needle is out in the environment and would not be able to infect.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is primarily transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse where the virus never leaves the confines of the two bodies. Once outside the body, small changes in temperature, and pH and moisture levels all quickly damage the virus and render it unable to infect.

I don't understand why you're going private in London when you can avail yourself of the local GUM services with the NHS. London has some of the best GUM clinics in the country. They're not going to push you to have unnecessary PCR tests - and furthermore the services are free. Private clinics will push unnecessary tests on you because that's how they make their money. However, perhaps you should see a counselor like the second doctor suggested, because you have all the hallmarks of having an hiv phobia.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline snakeman

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 12:17:37 pm »
Hi Ann
Please let me know whether I need testing as is not clear from your post. Since I have done following test, PCR and hiv duo after 31 days neg (from second doctor)after my low risk exposure of going to a strip club without any sexual activity and also no oral sex. Since I had hand job sexual exposure with condom 1.5  year back I panicked and landed in HIV testing trap.
I cannot get appointment of any therapist, and the second doctor had suggested his clinics therapist who is expensive. Also if really second doctor had evil intentions I can get infected as he did not sound freindly or reassuring and I have not seen the tip of the needle whether it had blood or not nor it had sterile seal. So please let me know I have to do additional testing. Also I have some sores in my mouth yesterday which have partially cleared today.
Please suggest

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 07:06:21 pm »
You never had an exposure and didn't need testing.

Offline snakeman

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 04:06:41 am »
Hi
Thanks for the update. Yes I had no sexual exposure but what about the hiv test i took which I think was dogy as the doctor was hiding the view of the needle from me when he was preparing the needle. So you think I should not be doing one more test may be a finger prick one just to be safe after the doctors episode.
Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 08:14:54 am »
You've already been told what we think of this situation. You're having a frankly irrational fear.

You can go ahead and get tested if you want to simply to resolve your doubts. It's a waste of money and assets in order to get the inevitable negative result. That's up to you.

There is nothing more we can say about your situation.
Andy Velez

Offline snakeman

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 10:06:44 am »
Hi Andy
Thanks for the reply. I did a home test Dried blood spot PCR qualitative (2500 copies) and it has comeback undetected now. I hope the test was done correctly by the the doctors labaratory which claim it is good at 10 days of exposure. I am going to move on with my life and tell my wife that everything is fine with me and she does not have to worry about getting infected because of me.
The support given by the forum was excellent

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 07:51:08 pm »
You took a test that is not approved for diagnostic use for HIV.

Offline snakeman

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 04:41:15 am »
Hi
Sure. But I dont need a test in the first case right. Do you think that I should wait for 6 weeks and take HIV instant test and then after 3 months.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 06:32:17 am »
Hi
Sure. But I dont need a test in the first case right. Do you think that I should wait for 6 weeks and take HIV instant test and then after 3 months.
Correct, you finally understand what we have been telling you,.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 08:42:05 am »

Do you think that I should wait for 6 weeks and take HIV instant test and then after 3 months.

Snake,

YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST. You do NOT have hiv.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

This posting rule applies even when you have taken out a subscription.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline snakeman

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 08:59:11 am »
Thanks Ann

Offline snakeman

• Standard
Re: Hiv from lancet
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 06:05:16 am »
Hi Ann
Please help again
I have landed up in another big anxiety problem again due to my thoughts.
I had ordered the hiv test from a website which is not actually authorised to do that I guess.
They had sent three loose lancets for the test. It was not in plactic wrapper.I used one and returned it. Then I startred thinking what if the lancet has hiv blood in it.
I though about it and said to myself that lancet cannot be resused and thats correct I checked the other unused lancet which I had kept luckily and it can be used only once.
But it had a cylindrical plastic cap on the needle and to my surprise it can be capped again. I panicked and thought that what if there is blood
in the cap and some on the needle and it is recapped to purposefully infect me. The blood would be in an perfect airthight condition capped to the needle just like a syring i guess. I know nobody will do that but since its from unauthorised website anything can happen.Please help to answer my questions-
1. It took around 30 hours for the packet to reach me. Will the virus would remain sustainable in the airtight capped lancet.
The contents of the test like alocohol cotton, lancets was in resuable plastic bag so there was no possibility of the virus drying as there
is no contact with air.
1.When I removed the cap of the lancet needle will virus be inactive immeditaley in contact with air. I pricked my finger after 2-3 seconds of removing the cap
2.Since I removed my blood from the finger will the virus flow out with it.
3. Since it was not from authorised website I am really worried, please assess my risk.
Thanks for your support.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 06:29:57 am »
Snake,

1. NO!!!!

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is primarily transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse where the virus never leaves the confines of the two bodies. Once outside the body, small changes in temperature, and pH and moisture levels all quickly damage the virus and render it unable to infect.

2. It doesn't matter. You could not have been infected by a lancet.

3. The problem with "unauthorised" tests is that they are not up to standard and have a high rate of false positive results.

You have been testing over a no risk incident. You will NOT have been infected during the testing process. I suggest you discuss these irrational fears with a mental health care professional - we cannot help you with that here.

You are still in danger of being given a Time Out. Re-read reply #13.

Please consider yourself warned for the LAST time!!!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline snakeman

• Standard
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 07:16:57 am »
Hi Ann
Thanks for your answer. I am really worried now and so I needed help. Please dont give me timeout. I know you might have considered my risk from airtight recapped lancet and not just because I have hiv phobia but considering the wildest scenarios. If there was a risk you would have told me. I needed help and I come to you for reassurance as I am scared. I will definetly seek counselling and I am even thinking of paying for the same as I cannot get anything from NHS soon. I really worried for myself and my family. Your help is needed and thats why I come here.
Thanks for your continued support

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 07:21:31 am »
Snake,

You have NO reason to be "really worried".

You have NOT had a risk to begin with.

You have NOT had a risk during the testing process.

You DO NOT HAVE HIV!!!

Come back one more time with more of these irrational fears and you WILL be given that time out.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline snakeman

• Standard
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 06:05:48 am »
Hi Ann
A question for time out I guess but I need help.
I went to GUM Clinic to tell my story regarding my home test needle experience. I told the doctor and he said that no need to test and refered me to healthadvisor and I never wanted to test but the healthadvisor lady after discussing with me went somewhere for 20 mins to ask some doctor and suggested that they would like to do baseline test. I foolishly agreed. She seemed not to wear any gloves or anything and was incredibly fast. My eyes were on the needle and it was sealed one and new one with no blood on it and I was happy and test came back negative and they suggested come after one month for one more testbut then after two days my paranoid ideas kicked in.
I did not check the cotton ball and Plaster used on me. I started thinking about her why did she went away for 20 mins telling me that she wanted to consult the doctors when doctors said no testing needed and came back with suggestion of having a baseline test , whether she had some racisit oe evil intentions since I am from minority and wants to infect me. My paronoid ideas of risks are
1.Infection through cotton ball. If infected with blood cotton ball is put on my needle puncture site can I get infected. Is that small hole enough for the virus to enter bloodstream.
2. Infection through Plaster. If infected plaster is put on my needle puncture site can I get infetced. Since she was very fast I was not able to see the plaster and I threw it away after having bath the next morning without checking it.
I went to my GP finally for help and she put me on zoloft. I am having lot of side effects because of these medicines. Please help by assessing my risk and this would be my final what if question. Thanks for your support.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 06:44:49 am »
■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result,  or no-risk situation will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 04:39:20 pm »
You absolutely cannot get HIV from a cotton ball or plaster placed on an injection site. \

What's going on is something we see here far too often, actually. You have refused to believe you have no risk, and now your paranoia has gotten to the point where you actually believe nurses at a GUM clinic are out to infect you.

The next step will be turning on us, I suppose.

I hope you overcome your fear of doctors enough to let a trained mental health counselor take care of you. I honestly think that you would benefit from that.

However, your latest post shows that you are firmly beyond the ability of this forum to assist you further. I certainly with the best for you, but I doubt you will find the help you need in the rather narrow search for HIV.

I have reported your post to the moderators for review.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 09:39:32 pm »
I am giving you the Time Out for 28 days which you have been warned about. You have absolutely no basis in HIV science to think you've had a risk for HIV transmission.

We're not going to indulge you in more unfounded fears here.

Don't make the mistake of trying to get around the Time Out by creating a new account. We'll spot that right off and it will get you permanently banned from the site.

You do not have cause for concern about HIV. Cut out the drama and get on with your life. If you can't let go of your fears then get some professional help about the issue. We cannot provide that for you in this setting.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.