Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:20:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 215
Total: 215

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Switching to Stribild for the convenience of a one a day  (Read 2297 times)

Offline keven

Switching to Stribild for the convenience of a one a day
« on: May 25, 2013, 11:33:45 pm »
I asked my Dr. what he thought about switching from Isentress + Epzicom to Stribild.   He asked me why I wanted to switch and I told him simply for convenience.  My current regimen is one pill in the morning and two pills at night vs. one pill per day and really it is not that big an issue taking three pills per day.

He suggested that unless I really have an issue with compliance, which I do not, he would recommend not switching to Stribild since it has two drugs that can be hard on the kidneys and my current regimen does not have this issue.

My Dr. has been working with HIV for many years and I consider him to be knowledgeable about HIV care.

Is the kidney issue with Stribild really an issue?  Being new to the market, is the data in on this?  I would appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Offline buginme2

Re: Switching to Stribild for the convenience of a one a day
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 12:16:30 am »
Your current meds are Epzicom and Isentress.  Why are you on Epzicom and not Truvada?  Was it because of Kidney issues or resistance?  If there is a particular reason that you are not on Truvada then Stribild isn't for you because it contains Truvada.

Regarding Stribild and the kidney issue.   Yes it is an issue.  How big of an issue it is is still a question.  Because Stribild is so new there isn't a lot of data.  All we know Is that it does affect your kidneys because it causes certain kidney tests to be elevated.  Combine that with Truvadas effect on your kidneys and its a double whammy.  Some doctors are hesitant in prescribing it because there are still some unanswered questions (including mine). 

There are other one pill combos such as Complera and Atripla. 

There are also other combos that you just take once per day (although more than one pill). 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Reishi

Re: Switching to Stribild for the convenience of a one a day
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 04:47:27 pm »
A month ago, I was treatment naïve and had virtually no knowledge of HIV meds.  The only one I was familiar with is Atripla.  Since I had no preference one way or the other, I decided to go with Stribild because I wanted a one-a-day and that was the only one available to me.  The other kinds were not an option due to resistance.

I hope I made the right choice.  I intend to stay on this regimen as long as it doesn't cause any major problems.  In addition to kidney issues, it should also be noted that Stribild contains cobicistat, which suppresses a liver enzyme, so it may affect your digestion.

My thinking is:  "If it isn't broken, why fix it?"   If your current regimen is working fine and your numbers are good, you might as well stick to it.  Just my 2 cents.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.