Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:32:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772786
  • Total Topics: 66297
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 204
Total: 206

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Who else is Fed Up with the RED Campaign?  (Read 26094 times)

Offline ChattyJay1

Re: Who else is Fed Up with the RED Campaign?
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2007, 01:23:36 pm »
At first the "red campaign" pissed me off too.  And it did so because there are so many HERE in the U.S. that need help, and aren't we supposed to take care of "our own" first before we tackle the world's problems?  Then i sat and really, really thought about all of this.  OK, the "red campaign" helps those in Africa....big deal!  We have a political voice, we have a voice period!  WE can change things here.  This is America.  Don't get me wrong....i'm not holding up some stupid idealism, we have our problems and the road won't be easy, BUT we have the power to change things whereas in Africa they are pretty much powerless and poverty-stricken.  So LET THE RED CAMPAIGN CONTINUE.   Are we just jealous that WE didn't come up with the idea first? LOL
We should all be working together to make activism our first tool, and our first line of OFFENSE not Defense!!!  :-)

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2007, 01:28:13 pm »
The message body was left empty
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 01:33:18 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline ChattyJay1

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2007, 01:35:11 pm »
Sonoma...that was hilarious, but sadly true.  I pay a fortune to have my cell service when the money could go elsewhere...I have my reasons for keeping my service though.  And the "can you hear me now" quote, that's Verizon's thing LOL.  I totally agree though!   ;)
We should all be working together to make activism our first tool, and our first line of OFFENSE not Defense!!!  :-)

Offline ChaplinGuy

• Eat my left foot
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2007, 01:38:46 pm »
I can see why this campaign would raise some concerns - particularly in that is seems to direct American attention towards Africa at the risk of blotting out our own HIV/AIDS issues here at home.

However, I think that it reinvigorates both the discussion and the symbolism of this crisis - and that regardless is a positive step. At a time when most people seem to think HIV and AIDS is "so 1980s" it's healthy for us to have a new "ribbon" in this next phase of the battle.

I tout my "RED" iPod on the subway every day - and feel somewhat freed by the statement that "Yes, just like every other white young professional in a suit here, I too can have HIV."

Just my two cents.

Offline lucas

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2007, 01:41:31 pm »
I understand the frustration you have about this topic and yes I agree that there should be more help to us living with the virus in the US, however I will like to remind you that until you walk a mile on someone elses shoes it is hard to have a clearer perspective. I am from another country however I live in the US for the last 16 years.
 I talked to my sister who lives in El Salvador and when I told her about my condition she panic since people with HIV back there die rapidly due to the lock of help, and meds. She also informed me that hospitals and clinics don't help to get appointments for other infections and much less to get hiv  meds. The goverments of third world countries like that do not want to spend money on what they call a lost cause; it goes further funeral homes refuse to prepare the body for a proper awake they just place the body on a casket and give 2 hours to their familly to have them indinerated or in the hole.
I know that we here also need help but at least even without health insurance you are still seen at the clinics and you have a posibility to pay back.  One can always find a job unlike in those countries where there are no jobs available.

Offline ChattyJay1

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2007, 01:51:32 pm »
lucas....EXCELLENT POINT!  may god bless you and yours!

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2007, 05:26:36 pm »
You know it's so interesting that everyone here is just so heart broken over this country or that and yet none of you are being declined assistance.   I'm sure we could locate several who have an equally pitiful story here in the US.

I'm sick and tired of everyone being "Politically Correct" and faking concern and empathy for foreigners.   Like any of you would give up your personal care to help out some tribe in a 3rd world country.   I'd say pretty much most of the sympathetic people here are a bunch of hypocrits.   Give me a break!

Regardless of that, I do still feel that we help our own first.   Just as I would help my own family first, I would help my fellow citizens first.   So does that make me more Patriotic, and everyone else less Patriotic?  NO!    All it says is that I strongly believe that charity starts at home. 

Do I feel empathy for those other nations?  Absolutely!  I also feel they need to work at helping themselves, just as I feel the US should be focusing on our own issues and not policing the world.    But many of the issues brought up have nothing to do with why I started this thread.   

I'm still not going to buy any junk at the Gap.   So bless your precious souls for purchasing fashion in the name of AIDS.  I'm sure it's made a tremendous help in Africa and other nations, and know that you are truly a better person for being so thoughtful when you shop!  God Bless!

You can't guilt me into believing misleading advertising campaigns like RED are appropriate.
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2007, 06:44:59 pm »

Oh I guess it can't hurt, although I doubt it'll do that much to help.  Of course the US needs to deal with its own problem...but what's new?  It's not like I don't think Africa shouldn't get the aid it's receiving.

Having said that I was thinking about getting a new ipod since I broke my old one, and I just couldn't bring myself to get the RED one because it looked too much like a Target logo.  Good to know my having HIV hasn't thrown my high standards out the window. :P

brian

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2007, 08:08:30 pm »
I'm sick and tired of everyone being "Politically Correct" and faking concern and empathy for foreigners.   Like any of you would give up your personal care to help out some tribe in a 3rd world country.   I'd say pretty much most of the sympathetic people here are a bunch of hypocrits.   Give me a break!

What is "personal care" and why would one have to lose some in order to help a tribe in a 3rd world country?   Am I willing to give up all I have to save my fellow humans?  Unfortunately, no.  Those sorts of acts are ultimately self-destructive unless 1. maybe you go live with the 3rd world tribe or 2. you are disgustingly rich already.  (I'm not disgustingly rich but if you want to know what my net income is PM me!)... (as if).   I support causes as a consumer by donating money directly to the organization as well as buying products (like tee shirts -- there are always tees available at places like the hunger site or the NRDC or Amnesty International or some other cause I might support (google "Bernard Baran" but you'll find no merchandise) and if it's 100% cotton I'll pay $10 for it because I know part of the money goes to the charity.  Maybe it would be better to donate $10 directly to the charity but I'd still have to buy tee shirts, so I make a compromise).

You can't guilt me into believing misleading advertising campaigns like RED are appropriate.

Wesley, no one is trying to instill guilt but I personally ask for your compassion as another human on this planet.

You're throwing the baby out with the bathwater (you can quote me on that).  I take your word that the commercial campaign is deceitful.  Can't you see beyond that to the very real problems smoldering in 3rd world countries for over 25 years now, making the USA's AIDS situation look like a picnic in the park?  Both of the situations are equally important to me as a citizen of the USA and a citizen of the world.  Of course it's horrible that US citizens are dying, we must try to prevent further deaths.   The scale of infection and illness in many poor countries is so severe that then-Secretary of State Colin Powell listed the fact as one of several global threats needing immediate attention, before 9/11 changed the world.

I may donate if solicited but it will be a nominal donation since that's all I can afford.  I'd donate as much or more to a USA based campaign to provide health care to all US Americans, especially those with HIV.

Paz,

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2007, 08:33:16 pm »
I'm talking about HIV care.   Treatment like drugs etc.   

I don't think any of us aren't compasionate for their desperate plight.   Hell, even Bush was shoveling another 1.2 billiion more in aid To Africa in his State of the Union.   Yet, mentioned nothing about AIDS in the US.

So, I think the US has done our bit for the cause overseas while completely neglecting people at home.

And I do think all the politically correct phonies are trying to guilt me into changing my opinions about the RED campaign.

It's nothing more than a deceptive marketing stunt to snatch more money out of consumers pockets on the pretense that they are actually doing something which benefits people with HIV & AIDS here.

If all the commercials clearly indicated the money was going straight to Africa I wouldn't take issue with it.  As far as I'm concerned it's fraud!

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2007, 08:44:58 pm »
Wesley
Earlier this week, I watched a RED campaign commercial for one of the phone companies and it very specifically stated the funds are to be used against AIDS in Africa. It was audible, slowly spoken and I believe it was backed up with print on the last image. Other companies are doing the same. Given how such campaigns typically go, I'm betting it's part of a template and/or mandate that it be noted where the funds will be directed to avoid misinterpretations and (Cliff could likely clarify this) if there's a non-profit component involved it's required that it be clear as to recipient(s) of funds.
Em
Addendum: Just went to the website and their manifesto is noted at this link. It is not a charity it turns out. Read on http://www.joinred.com/manifesto.asp
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 08:49:28 pm by emeraldize »

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2007, 09:01:44 pm »
Hey E,

I know their website.  Not all the commercials indicate it.   Most of the ones I've seen chant on about the "global fight against aids"

Last I looked, the United States was still on the globe!

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2007, 09:58:31 pm »
Hey folks,

I'm throwing in the towel.  None of what we're writing to each other is making any difference.  This is like a CD that skips the same 5 notes over and over until you go over to the player in an insane rage and smack it.

I'm gonna avoid going insane.  We all go a little insane sometimes.  A mother is a boy's best friend.

Boo

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2007, 06:53:29 am »
You know it's so interesting that everyone here is just so heart broken over this country or that and yet none of you are being declined assistance.   I'm sure we could locate several who have an equally pitiful story here in the US.

Regardless of that, I do still feel that we help our own first.   Just as I would help my own family first, I would help my fellow citizens first.   So does that make me more Patriotic, and everyone else less Patriotic?  NO!    All it says is that I strongly believe that charity starts at home. 

Do I feel empathy for those other nations?  Absolutely!  I also feel they need to work at helping themselves, just as I feel the US should be focusing on our own issues and not policing the world.    But many of the issues brought up have nothing to do with why I started this thread.   

I'm still not going to buy any junk at the Gap.   So bless your precious souls for purchasing fashion in the name of AIDS.  I'm sure it's made a tremendous help in Africa and other nations, and know that you are truly a better person for being so thoughtful when you shop!  God Bless!

I think we could get this into the guiness book of records for being the most stupid thing ever said by a human being!  Whats all this looking after our own bullshit.  We will never agree on this and at the end of the day I live on planet earth and you live in america.  I'm signing out of this thread before I say something that gets me banned!
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline Cliff

« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2007, 08:40:01 am »
Looks like we got a visit from the drama llama!

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2007, 11:56:45 am »
Boy you aren't kidding!   Apparently, Freedom of Speech is only allowed if it's "politically correct".   

Whew!

Say what you will and attack me personally.   I'm still not changing my mind and I still think the people have been mislead by the RED campaign.

Offline FiercenBed

« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2007, 01:33:24 pm »
i made a post a while back about a full page ad for the red phone by best buy and got stompled on. it stated, "buy a red phone and cure aids". cure!?  talk about misrepresentation and a cheap uninformed marketing plan.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2007, 02:20:55 pm »
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2007, 02:34:18 pm »
i made a post a while back about a full page ad for the red phone by best buy and got stompled on. it stated, "buy a red phone and cure aids". cure!?  talk about misrepresentation and a cheap uninformed marketing plan.

This is just one more outrageous example of blatant misrepresentation from the RED campaign.   I've seen numerous tv and print ads just like this.   I do think some may have started complaining because as of just recently some of the commercials have been changed. 

LOL @ Benj!   

Why anyone is advocating deceptive ads is beyond me!

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2007, 03:17:56 pm »
Wesley
Thanks for the clarification. I've certainly not seen the variety of ads, TV and print, that you and others have. I don't disagree with the notion that we need to pay attention to our citizens' needs, but I also believe that we must contribute to the betterment of those who don't even begin to have our barest minimums: clean water, food, shelter, access to basic medications, access to hiv meds. I believe we can accomplish both.
Em

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2007, 05:36:49 pm »
Hey E,

My opinion is that the bottom line in false advertising is that it will hurt future campaigns.   Every time one of these scandals is eventually revealed it leaves a very bad taste in people's mouths.   

Without dragging up specifics there have been some really messy HIV/AIDS fund raisers which got embroiled in scandal and litigation.   The result was donors stopped contributing to these campaigns and contributors were very gun shy for a long time.

So, I just believe that it should be an honest portrayal whether it's promoting HIV prevention around the world or just among a specific minority group in the US.

If you lie to the public, it can really come back to bite you in the ass later.   When people find out they've been decieved it's gona leave them with a bitter distrust of other campaigns and they won't open up their check books so quickly again.  Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me right.

Clearly, an add equating the purchase of a RED Phone with a CURE isn't accurate advertising.   It's nothing more than a very deceptive marketing scam.   

Wesley
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 05:38:56 pm by AustinWesley »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2007, 05:44:27 pm »
I went to buy cloths today at the Gap. Nice big sign describing the Red campaign. Tells that the money is going to be used to buy medication that will be distributed in Africa. It's not a hidden agenda. So I bought RED.

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2007, 06:53:41 pm »
I went to buy cloths today at the Gap. Nice big sign describing the Red campaign. Tells that the money is going to be used to buy medication that will be distributed in Africa. It's not a hidden agenda. So I bought RED.

All I bought was a tee shirt online but, even though my usual tee costs no more than $10-20 I was able to spare the remaining few dollars (even though I had to pay N.O. sales tax!).  Supposedly I'm providing 41 pregnant women with nevirapine to help prevent mother-to-child transmission. 

Next month I'll probably donate money in memory of a friend to a national or regional HIV/AIDS organization which provides medical services to people with HIV.  It makes his mother happy and I love his Mom.

There... all problems resolved so tonight I can sleep peacefully. 

Boo

Offline Jeff64

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2007, 09:56:23 pm »
I am fed up with it...it is nothing but a marketing scheme.

Where is my check?

Besides, the crap they have branded with it is not to my liking anyway.

Jeff

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2007, 12:27:14 am »
Gap girl: Can I interest you in one of our RED tshirts madam..?

me (disoriented by colourful knitwear):  "er...why?"

Gap girl, big smile: because every time you buy a RED product, we’ll donate 50% of its cost to people with AIDS!

me: "..d'you take the money off right here at the till, or do I have to apply for some sort of rebate..?"

*blank look from Gap girl*

kate  :D

Kate, 

You have summed up my opinion on this subject to a T.     This is even funnier each time I read it! ;)

Cheers!

Wesley

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2007, 02:42:53 am »

You only need to read the signs in at the Gap. I didn't have a bit of trouble reading and understanding the signs, explaining the Red campaign. Africa is not the 51st state of the US. It only takes a minute to read the sign.

Offline onemoretime

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2007, 09:45:58 pm »
it was launced a few months ago and was very clear it was for aids in affica.. I support it.  they are where we were at 15 years ago.  they have NO Meds. 
08/04 diag 490 cd4 vl 50,000
10/25/05 436 50,513 hvb 1.1 billion
12/13/05 truvada sustiva
02/16/06 742 und, hpb 63,000
04/27/06 740 und hpb 60,000
01/05/07 458 und hvb und
03/08   470 undetectable still on atripla. Non smoking (chantex)
08/08 cd4 550 undetectable hiv, Hep B UND. Atripla
06/09  cd4 444, vl undetectable testo 130
09/09/09 CD4 687 46% UND  Testo 213 started androgel
10/12/09 cd4 682 46% und testo 597
01/12/10 cd4 842 48% und testo 434
041010 cd4 693  53% testo 492
100410 cd4 568 48% testo 523
012711 cd4 523 hcv 56 testo 596
083011 cd4 280 Hcv/HIV und
042912 cd4 158 hcv /hiv und, was on hep c for 11 months. do have ssdi filed and getting LTD
061912 cd4 151, bactrum, hep c and hiv und
071712 cd4 287 52% HIV HCV und
112012 cd4 520

Offline FiercenBed

« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2007, 05:03:43 pm »
rumor has it the cant give away these red cell phones. if u noticed the whole marketing stragegy changed by pushing them for valentine's day w/ no mention of the 'red campaign'

Offline koksi

« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2007, 06:12:54 pm »
I don't think the campaign is really misleading.  I understand that it goes to AIDS charities in Africa.  But I do wonder to what extent the campaign contributes to a general perception that the AIDS crisis is over in places like the U.S.  And I do wonder to what extent it is 'easier' for mainstream America to feel sorry for African than to feel sorry for gay men.

seroconversion in March of 2006
positive test May 2006

10/2013: Undetectable, CD4 1000
2009:  Began Atripla

10/2007:  VL 2,300 // no CD4 numbers! :-(
09/2007:  Begin Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
08/2007:  VL 824,000 // CD4 344 // 21%
06/2007:  VL 326,000 // CD4 351 // 17%
04/2007:  VL 410,000 // CD4 242 // 26%
06/2006:  VL 444,893 // CD4 479 // 21%
05/2006:  VL >500K    // CD4 402 // 17%

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2007, 03:02:13 pm »
I received my RED Gap tee yesterday and was pleased to find it's lightweight cotton so will be perfect for summer wear here in the big sleazy.  The word "GAP" is sewn on the front so I'll probably never wear it except to walk my dogs or do housework.  I hate being a walking billboard.

Boo

Offline Rainbow1

« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2007, 05:18:13 pm »
Well i have to jump in late as always with my reply but i have to completely agree with you Wesley, Everytime i see that add it pisses me off that they want to use our money for Africa instead of america.

Offline Jeff64

« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2007, 10:34:22 pm »
Personally, I have not bought anything branded with the Red Crap.

I am a man who buys what he likes, not things that are attached to charity.

Jeff

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.