Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:39:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 628
Total: 628

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Nutritionally complete veggie diet?  (Read 11711 times)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
Nutritionally complete veggie diet?
« on: July 15, 2007, 07:05:05 pm »
With the smallest amount (if any) vitamins/supplements needed?

I've spoken to people about it before but not with the added element of being HIV+, so, (under Matty's insistance, hahaha) I've decided to post a thread about it.

I was veggie a while ago, but it didn't work out. Mostly a lot of weight loss, and a bunch of other things, and I just wasn't doing it properly. I'd really like to again, though, because I think it'd be a lot better for me (and I'd feel a lot better in general by doing it).

I'd appreciate some tips and advice and links and stuff to check out. Planning on researching it properly and having some actual meal plans this time. Thanks guys!

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
Re: Nutritionally complete veggie diet?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 08:57:33 am »
Mouse,

Eating vegetarian or vegan and maintaining/gaining weight are not incompatible.  Where people lose weight, it's because they are not maintaining sufficent caloric intake for their activity level, and that is almost always due to a drastically lower consumption of fats in their new food choices.  People start eating "rabbit food" and forget about nuts and healthful oils;  worse, they forget about the body's need for a variety of aminu acids and some tricks for creating protein without resorting to tofu -- think rice, corn, and beans.

Still, that's not to say that veggie is automatically lower in fat--it's all in how one approached vegetarianism/veganism.  I've gone veg and lost weight, and I've done it and porked up.

Check out these great online resources that contain outstanding recipe and nutrition guides:

Vegetarian Resource Group
http://www.vrg.org

VegWeb
http://www.vegweb.com
And above all else, remember VARIETY and SPICES to make a vegetarian/vegan diet more fulfilling and easier to follow.  Try new fresh produce, different kinds of beans and grains, and blends of new spices.  You'll find a meat-free way of eating very delightful as a result!

Cheers,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 12:52:57 pm »
Matty the Damned wants it noted that a vegan diet is NOT acceptable for the Smaller One.

MtD
(Who as the lad's Fairy Poz Father can impose arbitrary rules as are necessary)

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 05:48:00 pm »
Veganism is tough. It's not only no meat, no milk, no eggs. If you go vegan, you have to dump all your leather boots and wear rubber boots instead. No honey, honey. No bee wax candles, no fluffy eiderdown quilts, no wool jumpers, no jelly beans.

mouse, I thought you wanted to start exercising and shaping your body. Going vegan doesn't go very well with this idea.
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 09:30:57 pm »
Veganism is tough. It's not only no meat, no milk, no eggs. If you go vegan, you have to dump all your leather boots and wear rubber boots instead. No honey, honey. No bee wax candles, no fluffy eiderdown quilts, no wool jumpers, no jelly beans.

mouse, I thought you wanted to start exercising and shaping your body. Going vegan doesn't go very well with this idea.

Not vegan, vegetarian.

Matty would kill me. --;.

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 08:15:45 am »
Vegetarianism/veganism is fine for athletics.  I lift weights, build lots of muscle and mesmerize the boys...  and I don't worry about protein.

Good info. here as well... http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/faq.html

Drew

Offline bear60

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 07:25:51 pm »
I suspect a growing boy like you needs a big mac once in a while.....seriously....do you really think there is some unseen benefit from being vegetarian, that your health will improve and you will no longer need to worry about HIV?  There isnt.
Will you feel better and be happier....only being a vegetarian will tell.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 06:34:07 am »
To be honest, I don't really worry about protein either. Being lacto-vegetarian, I don't eat eggs, the only animal product I consume is dairy. Most people in the developed world eat far too much protein anyway, and this gives people wanting to go veggie a false perception of how much protein we actually need in our diets.

I get my protein from milk, yogurt and cheese primarily, with lentils and beans thrown in for good measure.

There are plenty of resources available on the internet that will help you make sure you're getting enough protein for your growing body, Jaser. Just Google "teenage vegetarian" and you'll get plenty. Here are a few:

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/teennutrition.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Teens-Vegetarian-Cookbook-Judy-Krizmanic/dp/0140385061

http://www.healthyplace.com/Communities/Eating_Disorders/vegetarian_teens.asp

Here's a quote from the last link:

Here's the good news. If they are properly planned, vegetarian diets can provide all the nutrients adolescents need . A plant-based diet might also protect your teen's future health. Large studies suggest that, compared to their meat-eating peers, vegetarians have a lower risk of type 2 diabetes, heart attack, high blood pressure, gallstones and certain cancers.

I probably don't eat quite as well as I should, but it has had no effect on my hiv infection whatsoever. I'm ten years hiv positive, ten years hiv med-free and going strong. Vegetarianism has had no ill effects for me and I suspect it does a lot to keep me healthy.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline redhotmuslbear

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 08:20:17 am »
One can also enjoy very decadent desserts while eating vegan.  I did vegan, gluten-free kosher brownies Saturday morning, and they were a huge hit among a party of about 70 college kids.

Ingredients
1/3 cup flour (I use a mix of spelt and oat bran flours)
2/3 cup cold water
12 oz extra firm silken tofu

1 cup semi-sweet chocloate chips

1 3/4 cups sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup oil

3/4 cup good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder

Directions
In a blender puree the tofu, flour and water until smooth. Pour it into a sauce pan, and wisk constantly over low heat until it thickens (it should not boil, if it starts to turn the heat down). This takes about 10 minutes. [or nuke the mixture about 6 minutes on 50%, stirring every two minutes to thicken]  Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips, salt, vanilla and sugar. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted. Set the mixture aside to cool completely.

Assemble cocoa, remaining flour and baking powder.

Preheat your oven to 350.

When mixture is cool enough mix in the oil. (It can take about 20-30 minutes to cool, give it a stir once in awhileand stick it in the fridge to make it cool faster).

Add the 1 1/2 cups of flour, the cocoa and the baking powder together. Fold in the tofu mixture in thirds until well combined and smooth.

Spread evenly in a greased baking pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.

Optional:  Be ultra-decadent and spinkle choc chips on top during the last 5 minutes of baking and spread them evenly when the bownies come out of the overn to cool
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 09:35:40 am by redhotmuslbear »
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline bear60

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 10:46:00 am »
I would like to point out that one of the things that HIV positive people often confront is: loss of control.  We often feel angry or depressed as a result.  However, one of the things that we do have control over is what food goes in our mouth....in terms of diet. I really think that the sense of control one feels by becoming vegetarian (or whatever the diet may be) is a good thing .  Its a little like quitting smoking or going sober.....you have control and no one else.  Its a good feeling. 
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 12:07:08 pm »
One can also enjoy very decadent desserts while eating vegan.  I did vegan, gluten-free kosher brownies Saturday morning, and they were a huge hit among a party of about 70 college kids.

Ingredients
1/3 cup flour (I use a mix of spelt and oat bran flours)
2/3 cup cold water
12 oz extra firm silken tofu

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 3/4 cups sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup oil

3/4 cup good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder

Directions
In a blender puree the tofu, flour and water until smooth. Pour it into a sauce pan, and whisk constantly over low heat until it thickens (it should not boil, if it starts to turn the heat down). This takes about 10 minutes. [or nuke the mixture about 6 minutes on 50%, stirring every two minutes to thicken]  Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips, salt, vanilla and sugar. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted. Set the mixture aside to cool completely.

Assemble cocoa, remaining flour and baking powder.

Preheat your oven to 350.

When mixture is cool enough mix in the oil. (It can take about 20-30 minutes to cool, give it a stir once in awhileand stick it in the fridge to make it cool faster).

Add the 1 1/2 cups of flour, the cocoa and the baking powder together. Fold in the tofu mixture in thirds until well combined and smooth.

Spread evenly in a greased baking pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.

Optional:  Be ultra-decadent and sprinkle choc chips on top during the last 5 minutes of baking and spread them evenly when the brownies come out of the oven to cool

These brownies are not gluten free. Spelt is a type of wheat, which contains gluten.

Also, while oats themselves don't contain gluten, they are grown and harvested/processed under questionable conditions and therefore cannot be guaranteed to be gluten free.

That is why no product containing oats can carry the label gluten free in the United States.

If you want to be gluten free, you should substitute the spelt and oats with rice flour, corn flour, sorghum flour, bean flour, potato flour or tapioca flour, and add some xanthan gum to provide the adhesion/consistency that gluten usually provides.

Of course, that is also why a 12 oz loaf of gluten-free bread costs between $5 and $6. I make my own, so it is a bit less, but not much.

While we are at it, make sure all of the other ingredients are gluten free. Baking powder may or may not be. If t doesn't specify it on the label, contact the manufacturer.

Chocolate is also something to watch out for. Dark chocolate is usually safer than milk chocolate. Cocoa powder is safe, so use away.

Here are a couple of links detailing which foods to avoid if you want to/must avoid gluten and some of the processed foods to avoid where gluten lurks.

http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=185&p_catid=12&sid=91hH9H1kW7Z92wL-34107227025.50

http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=186&p_catid=12&sid=91hH9H1kW7Z92wL-14107268625.a2

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 01:22:38 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Force1

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 09:54:20 pm »
Man this is a tough topic for me, I am on a seefood diet. For goodness sake I eat really pretty darn good, lots of milk cheese,beans,pastas,some meats, PBJ sammiches, sweets to top off a meal etc.

Those crazy adventist have some really good tasting products tho.

Try google Seventh Day Adventist and food.

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 12:37:03 am »
Mouser,

What kinds of foods do you like to eat (cuisines)?  Do you like to cook?  Does someone cook for you?  How much time do you have to put into cooking?

Drew

Offline redhotmuslbear

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 12:37:33 pm »
re   gluten-free

my bad and now I can't edit the message.

I meant to indicate BUCKWHEAT and SOY flours -- both g/f from Arrowhead Mills.  Spelt and Oat is my "mancake" mixture that I was prattling about as I wrote.

Apologies.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 04:07:12 pm »
I'll try that recipe... I make the old fashion brownies with Canna butter... evenone who eats one gets a trip without leaving home... lol its better than drinking alcohol...

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 07:34:10 pm »
re   gluten-free

my bad and now I can't edit the message.

I meant to indicate BUCKWHEAT and SOY flours -- both g/f from Arrowhead Mills.  Spelt and Oat is my "mancake" mixture that I was prattling about as I wrote.

Apologies.

No apologies necessary. I tend to get on a soap box on this subject, so take it with a pinch of salt. But I LOVE buckwheat. I eat it for breakfast, I use it as a rice substitute, etc.

I also use soy flour a great deal It is wonderful as the main ingredient when making batter to dip something in. It does get sticky, though.

Anyway, the brownies sound delish and I will give making them a shot.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.