Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:49:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 250
Total: 252

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Worried  (Read 10024 times)

Offline dontknow_much

Worried
« on: June 15, 2006, 10:00:43 pm »
To start with, I had an acount in the previous forum with a similar login name, which I'm not able to log into, hence i had to create a new account. If there's a way to retrive the same I'd be glad to.(I tried searching the old posts also)

The cause of worry and concern, as I had mentioned in my earlier postings are:
1) Protected vaginal sex with sex worker approx 2 yrs back, no symptoms then, that I can recollect.
2)Protected oral(insertive) a year back, approx five days after which I had fever, then hospitalised and diagonised as Typhoid. While in the hospital i had a few night sweats, a white spot on the throat, and a rash on the penis.

Now I'm back since I've had a break out of what my GP diagonised as Hives. Get these itchy bumps which disappear in couple of hours, and it's been happening for more than a month. COuld this be a sign of HIV infection? Also my wife complains of being tired quite often, losing some hair and gastro issues. Of course she is unaware about the episodes and the possible cause. More than anything i'm haunted by the thought of having infected her. Please advise.

Thanks.

Offline dontknow_much

Re: Worried
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 10:06:01 pm »
Sorry for the extra post, also worried about fingering before vaginal and having got vaginal fluids on my hand, which would have touched my penis. ....No condom failure that i recollect, though i did not put water and check. Also i'm not circumcised.

Offline cflas

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 10:21:31 pm »
you stated that you had protected vaginal and oral sex on both occasions mentioned here.  Protected sex is 'safe' sex.  Why do you think you'd have HIV after a situation in which both encounters were protected?

Hives can be related to many things and, it appears pretty obvious, that stress would be one of them. 

If you are that worried, no matter what we say here, you won't be satisfied (or shouldn't be satisfied) until you get tested.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 10:36:49 pm »
Please reread the LESSONS section of this site regarding transmission. It is VERY thorough, and covers all the bases.

If there is not a caveat on the section, then there is NO HIV RISK associated with that behaviour. Seriously, do you honestly believe we HIDE risk factors from people?
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 05:12:23 am »
Don'tknow,

Everyone had to re-register - don't worry about your name being slightly different.

As you were told in your thread in the old forum you did NOT have a risk of hiv infection, no matter how many details you can think to add or what sort of spin you want to put on it.

The bottom line here is that you used condoms. Condoms have been proven to be very effective for preventing the transmission of hiv. Keep using those condoms and you will avoid hiv infection.

I hope you are aware that anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs. If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

You did not have a risk of infection and the only reason to test would be as part of an annual, routine sexual health care check-up.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline dontknow_much

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 02:40:50 pm »
Hello everone...i know that we do not discuss symptoms here and my risk was assessed as non existent, but i'd appreciate if someone could tell me if Hives is generally a common problem with HIV infection? Sorry to ask again...its getting the better of me...and ofcourse Thanks.

Offline dontknow_much

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 02:03:00 am »
Hello everyone...can someone reply to my previous question? Guess by oversight it was unanswered...
Thanks

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 03:08:48 am »
Hello everyone...can someone reply to my previous question? Guess by oversight it was unanswered...
Thanks

There was no oversight. It's already been answered.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 08:21:18 am »
OK. No, hives are not in anyway an HIV specific symptom. But then as you ought to have read in the lesson on transmission, neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms of any sort will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status.

If you have had a genuinely risky incident then testing is the only way to reliably know your HIV status.

In your case it's irrelevant because you didn't have a risk to begin with.

Tell your mind to give it a rest and if you continue to come up with more what ifs, take a breath and get on with your life.

This is not an HIV situation. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline dontknow_much

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 09:01:41 am »
Hello everyone...down with cold,cough and fewer(100.5F) second time in the last three months....just down and stressed, so i posted, no particular question. Sorry for the unwanted post.... feeling foggy on the mind. thanks for bearing

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 12:04:18 pm »
Well, those things happen. And it doesn't change the fact that you were not at risk and happily, HIV is not an issue for you.

If your symptoms persist, discuss them with your doctor.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline dontknow_much

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 12:28:06 pm »
Hi Andy. thanks for the response. it has almost seeped in that hiv is not a prob. went to the doc(GP), and he says it's a normal flu(cough,cold and fever) in the air due to the onset of monsoon here in mumbai. Thanks and god bless.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 12:40:05 pm »
Good to get those words from your doctor. Even if your mind continues to churn up doubts that doesn't change the facts of the situation.

So if and when those thoughts come up, they're only thoughts.

The reality is you were not at risk.

Get on with enjoying your life.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline dontknow_much

Risk factor
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 02:40:29 am »
Hello everyone...
Just a general question,
Is there any difference in degree of risk to a insertive partner in vaginal sex, if the receptive partner reaches an orgasm or not? To elaborate, if a guy has vaginal sex with a girl, is it any greater or equal risk if the girl reached an orgasm?
Thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 05:55:03 am »
Don't,

The receptive partner's orgasm has nothing to do with transmission.

The ONLY orgasm that has any effect on transmission is the insertive partner's. If the insertive partner ejaculates inside the receptive partner (without a condom), this increases the risk to the receptive partner only.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline dontknow_much

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 11:44:20 am »
Hello everyone,
Another risk related question...
Is it possible to be infected while giving 'love bite' to HIV poz. person, if no visible blood is involved, but a red bruise is formed?(No break in skin).
Thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 12:53:38 pm »
don't,

Love bites are absolutely no risk to anyone. Hiv does not live on the surface of the skin.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline dontknow_much

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 07:44:51 am »
Hello...
I've been going thru a lot of stuff lately:
1) Swollen and painfull gums, with one gum slightly receding
2) Hives from last 2 months+
3) Now a CBC showing low haemoglobin(12.4)

I'm almost convinced of having been infected by my single condom 'protected' vaginal with a SW. Question here is what test should i take elisa here in India comes back same day. Why does it take a week in US? Is it a diff. test?
Regards

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2006, 08:06:46 am »
You didn't have a risk period. Anything that is going on with you see your doctor. You don't need an HIV test.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2006, 09:01:54 am »
don't,

The time it takes to get your results varies from place to place and lab to lab. This can be true for the same tests, in other words, brand X might take a week in location 1, and brand X might take one day in location 2.

If you're in doubt, go test, but don't be surprised when you get a negative result. What you really should be doing is seeing a doctor about your symptoms. They are in no way hiv related. Find out what is really going on. You could be missing something serious in your refusal to look at any cause other than hiv.

Nothing you have brought to this forum has been a risk for hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline dontknow_much

Anxious
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 12:59:53 am »
Hi all. Finally took the test. Reports come in the eve. Wonder what fate has
in store? Spending the toughest seven hrs of life. Thanks

Offline dontknow_much

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2006, 09:11:55 am »
Tested NEGETIVE for Hiv 1&2. Thanks a billion all u guys. I also know most of u will say "We told u so". Well thanks for telling me so and sorry for not
listening. Have learnt the lesson and would like to tell all the worried wells' listen to what the experts say...Once again thanks a lot and God bless u all.   

Offline dontknow_much

Question
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 06:23:30 am »
Hello everyone,
Hope this post does not irritate you all, as I do agree its not 100% warranted...but still here goes:
Risk: Protected Vaginal with a Sex Worker in India. Protected Oral insertive a couple of times on other occasions.

Tested negetive for HIV 1&2(Elisa) some sort of testing kit made by Abbott.

Question: Have applied for residence in the Gulf, where HIV testing is mandatory. Should I just take another test to ensure my status to avoid getting into an odd situation/deportation, if I test Poz there.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 08:52:29 am »
You've never had a risk and no you do not need to test.

Offline dontknow_much

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 10:30:04 am »
Thanks Rodney...I'll go ahead with my residence procedure. It will put me thru the HIV test, but as you say I do not need it otherwise, hence I should not have any reason to fear it.
Thanks again and God bless.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.