Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:09:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773196
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 425
Total: 427

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bone tired..  (Read 6714 times)

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
Bone tired..
« on: February 28, 2007, 07:19:07 pm »
Over last week have got intimately involved with my duvet as everythings a REAL effort. Went to theatre last nite and its wiped me out. Have slept almost all day and am crawling back in my pit as soon as I've posted this. I've heard other people talk about how tired they get and I'll usualy nap in the afternoons but this feels like I've moved house EVERY day for last month. Everything aches. Viral load only up by 15 (not 15,000) just 15 and cd4 ok.Any ideas on how to cope or make it easier? My doc just says its something I have to deal with but I feel 100!
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline koi1

Re: Bone tired..
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 08:14:36 pm »
I feel very tired as well. I usually come home at about 5 or 6:00 in the evening and I am super tired. My cd4s are low though, and I don't know if this fatigue will get better as that improves. However I can totally identify with you, how tired you feel, how you feel like you have been doin' hard labor. I am a lower grade teacher
and it gets exhausting, even though I love my job. I have noticed the tiredness for about two years now, but I always thought, oh well I am not in my twenties anymore, but it has been getting worse. I hope people chime in with good news about this. But my friend has told me that this a comon symptom of fighting the virus, and of course the meds.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 08:47:38 pm »
Hi tigger.

I can't remember.  Are you on meds now?  And for how long? In addition to low t-cells, I think meds contribute a lot to fatigue.  Sure, there are the initial side effects of nausea, dreams, skin discoloration, etc but these are relatively short-lived.  But I found the fatigue factor doesn't peak for another 18 months or so.  I remember it had been a year and a half and I was in the back yard working and I was so tired I didn't even have the energy to walk inside and lay down on the sofa.   I got as far as the sidewalk, laid down on the warm cement, closed my eyes and fell asleep.  Scared the bejesus out of my partner.  He thought I had gone to see the big kahuna in the sky.

I've been on meds a little over 3 years now and I still have to take my naps everyday.

robert

Offline koi1

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 09:00:36 pm »
Yeah Robert,

I have never been a napper. But my best sleep is achieved with a nap, right before I have to take my meds. I think it is at this point that the lowest concentration of drugs is in my system. I love my naps.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline tigger2376

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 09:09:30 pm »
Its only been 6 months and I've changed meds 3 times,had PCP and stephens-johnsons so its probably no real surprise that my body has screamed for mercy! Its really screwing with my sleep patterns too. The doc offered me sleeping pills but think quite enough toxins floating about right now! Does forcing yourself to do more exercise help? i'm also getting real chocolate cravings...not just the usual greed but reall 'must have ems'
My Cd4 is 347 and VL 65,perfectly Ok so maybe its just a culmination of all thats happened. Could it also be that I've really cut down on a bottle of wine a night habit? sorry,after 5 years I feel I should be more informed but all comments gratefully accepted.
HIV is just like Santa..it keeps on giving
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 12:25:27 am »
Hi there,

Yeah it sounds like yer body is in recovery mode.  I think chocolate is part of a healthy diet and a little caffeine in it or green tea might perk you up in the morning.  Dark chocolate has antioxidative things like flavonoids. 

Excercise definately gives me energy as well.

In fact... I am going to make some hot chocolate right now!  http://www.chocolate.org/health/antioxidants.html

Get yer rest, eat well and I hope you feel better soon!

Cheers,
Drew

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 05:33:51 am »
Tigger,

Over the past 18 years since my diagnosis, I've learned the importance of "listening" to messages my body sends me at any given time.

In addition to the workload of the medical changes your body is handling, cutting down on your nightly wine intake is probably / definitely linked to your cravings for chocolate too.

Chocolate and Craving
There May Be a Relation with Alcohol

For years people have claimed to be addicted to chocolate and now there is new scientific evidence that reveals some addictive qualities in the tasty treat. The same alkaloid compounds found in alcohol are also present in chocolate, researchers say.
(see: tetrahydro-beta-carbolines)

Exercise might help get you get back on an even keel. I usually find walking beneficial for most any ailment - it's easy to do and releases those feel-good endorphins without any harmful side effects.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline mjmel

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 06:24:56 am »
Hi there,...
Exercise definitely gives me energy as well.
Cheers,
Drew
I want to make a comment or two on advice in ndrews' post. This is surprising but working out in a gym or an at-home routine is excellent energy restorer. Join a gym if you can afford the expense and can find the time. It will give you more energy. Doesn't seem like it would work since that tired and fatigue feeling lurks around you like a somber shadow. But time and time again the following method has worked for me, as well. If you push past "tired" with physical activity it will lessen considerably or go away completely. If you work out after a 9-5 job hours you will find yourself going home with more energy than you previously felt. Of course I am suggesting something reasonable to your own body conditions and using some good ole common sense in your workouts.
My job is to take care of a few animals we have and do outside and inside maintenance on our small farm. I am not young; neither very old...at 56, and HIV+ for 17 yrs. Sometimes it's tough getting out the door into the active mode especially when I'm having a particular bad episode of fatigue. (Two hours after I awake on some days!) I found exercises/physical activity does restore my endurance level and sense of well-being.
Day nap (or two) helps me too. I do one daily......around midday.

Hope all who experience it find some relief from this fatigueness. Likewise, hope my post has been a bit helpful.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 06:30:17 am by mjmel »

Offline tigger2376

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 06:41:11 am »
Am trying to stay awake all day today to force my body back into a routine
If I'm still online in an hour I'll be the one glued to her keyboard by drool, snoring, (in a ladylike fashion,of course)  ;D
Thanks guys, It all helps
x

Offline rick21007

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 07:38:43 am »
I gotta agree with mjmel and drew that daily exercise can lessen fatigue.  After a nasty bout with acute hep B last spring I got into hiking last summer to get my energy and stamina back and it made a big difference.  In November I came down with an OI that knocked me down again for a couple of months.  Since Januarys here are not conducive to outdoor activity unless you are up on the ski slopes I started going to the gym every morning.  Am finally enjoying being healthy again and having plenty of energy. It also makes a big difference in how I handle stress too.

Rick

Offline tigger2376

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 06:30:22 pm »
House now in a fit state for the queen to eat off the floor! Really made me feel better, probably emotionally too coz I been kind of neglecting things. Only had an hour nap and don't feel so muzzy. Still like a truck has hit me physically but realise its going to take time.
I appreciate all the help guys
One more thing, (sorry) does anyone else get quite wide ranging weight gain/loss very suddenly on meds? Am carrying a bit more than I should right now,(cookie addiction doesn't help), but seriously I can gain/lose 8 pounds in a 2-3 week period without altering my diet or lifestyle.

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 07:23:17 pm »
I have been tired lately since I had started Atripla.  My afternoon blabs have gotten worst and only at near bed time do I feel awake.  But I heard that naps can be good for the heart.  Take that what you may.
Brod
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline BKNYLivin

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 09:41:22 pm »
Thanks for this thread. Been really tired since diagnosis, also had chocolate cravings like crazy, and I was never a chocolate person, but I had cut out the wine. Now that the Atripla side effects are settling down after 2 weeks, I have been exhausted all this week(which is a disappointment 'coz I got an energy boost the first couple of days) and have to take naps. Little things like grocery shopping seem to wipe me out. I've also lost 5 pounds this week - I figured it had to be related to the meds somehow. 
Diagnosed 9/18/06
10/13/06 - CD4:449, 33%,  VL:>500,000
11/20/06 - CD4: 392  VL:425,000
02/08/07 - CD4: 361, 16.9% VL:133,000
02/13/07 - Started HAART: Atripla
03/08/07 - CD4:401, 23.8% VL:643
06/05/07 - CD4:614, 33.6% VL:225
09/14/07 - CD4:612, 37%  VL: <50
12/14/07 - CD4:582, 38.5% VL:<50
4/11/08 - CD4: 658, VL: <50
3/5/09 - CD4: 847, 49% VL: <50
7/29/09 - CD4: 965, 50.1% VL: <50
12/28/09 - CD4: 925, 49.2% vl <50
9/16/10 - CD4: 1011 vl: <50

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 09:51:18 pm »
I listen and I learn.   So far I have been lucky I guess.   I hold down two jobs, work 80+ hours a week.  Sleep 8 hours a night and have been doing this for about six years now...   I figure, if I rest, I rust.   The doctor knows what I am doing and he makes no big deal about it.   I figure when my second mortgage is done in a year, I will slow it down a bit...  But when you see the interest rates those bastards are charging me, I want it done.   I also find if I have to much down time, I tend to think a bit to much of doom and gloom.   I wonder where my cd4 count would be if I worked like a normal human being...  Ill never know...  Not for awhile...   A fear of not being able to do what I do is always a lurker in the back of my mind...

Offline Rightbrain

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 02:17:20 am »
Tigger,  I'm taking Atripla.  About a year ago I started feeling bone tired too.  My numbers were very close to yours.  I knew they were too healthy for the fatigue to be an infection and I had no other symptoms other than having turned into a zombie.  Turns out that my testosterone level had plummeted.  Now I replace it and feel well again.  If I forget the Androgel for a few days I start feeling tired again.  I think you should have yours checked.  It doesn't sound like the kind of fatigue caused by a glass of wine or lack of exercise to me.

Yours,

brother joe
If there's a cure I hope I can have all the leftover Sustiva.

Offline gardner

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 09:12:22 am »
I don't think winter helps much.  When it's warm and the sun is up early and goes down late there is more opportunity to take advantage of my "up time".

Offline tigger2376

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2007, 08:52:20 am »
Have had my hormone levels checked JIC it was the menopause but no,not that easy.
Couldn't sleep til 3.30am today despite body screaming at me, flesh is willing, mind running like a hamster on a wheel!
Going to try to get in touch with a shiatsu practioner who I used to get courses of 6 weekly treatments from free on NHS, but its now going to cost me £40 a throw and can only afford this very rarely.
I think everyone can see from my posts, I've got myself into a bit of a vicious circle. Tired, so sleep, sleep too much in day, can't sleep at night. Stay awake all day and feel like shit, STILL can't sleep at night because I'm worrying!
Know I'm doing it, but how do you break it?
At this rate I'm going to turn into a new species,with a bed surgically attatched to my ass! ;D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.