Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:55:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 187
Total: 187

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Follow-up doctor visits needed?  (Read 6013 times)

Offline charlienj

Follow-up doctor visits needed?
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:47:06 pm »
Hi,

I've been on treatment for a couple of years and don't ever miss a dose.  For the past two years my viral load remains undetectable and my cd4 count continues to trend upwards. Life's not bad.

My question is, has anyone had any luck convincing their doctor to not require an office visit every time they get their results, especially if the results continue to be the same and improving every three months.  Office visits require some time off work, and cost me and my insurance money just to have my doctor say, "looks like everything is good." 

Email or even text can tell me that. Luckily I have insurance, but I can't help to feel like I'm being used as a cash cow. 

What is everyone elses experience?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Follow-up doctor visits needed?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 08:59:47 pm »
Hi Charlien , I sometimes feel the same way you do about this but if I were to play devils advocate I can see some valid reasons why doctors and patients need those visits .

After I was stable I was able to get my doc to see me every 6 months but I wouldn't want to push it further than that even if all is well with my health because then you are essentially asking a professional to take up their time and not get paid for the service they provide . They still must review you lab work and have the expense of staff and sometime even the lab itself to maintain . So its true , we are cash cows LOL .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:01:38 pm »
How often do you get labs done and see a doctor?  Once every six months isn't too much to ask. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline charlienj

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 09:08:34 pm »
I get my labs done every 3 months, and because I'm in a discordant relationship- it's important to me that I keep this frequency.

Regrading paying for labs and nurse's time- I still have no issue paying and going for the tests- and that's when I'm charged for the actual labs and nurse's procedure to take blood.  As far as I can tell, my doctor just reads a CD4 number and an undetectable viral load while I'm in the room.  It takes 45 seconds.

My goal is to see her only once a year for an annual (or if my numbers show any real change).

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 09:19:48 pm »
HIV can be so inconvenient .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 09:28:32 pm »
I get my labs done every 3 months, and because I'm in a discordant relationship- it's important to me that I keep this frequency.

I am in a discordant relationship also and go every 6 months.

If your doctor wants you to go every three, then either go every three or find another doctor. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 09:52:43 pm »
Hi. I used to see my doctor and [vampires[ every three months, now that I've been undetectable, I see them every 5 to 6 months. But when I have to see my cardiologist, I tell him "I do not know what I am doing here, I've been feeling good" and he responds to me. "you are here making my car payment" haha

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 08:02:50 am »
THE  nurse in the office always gives me the viral load  and cell ct over the phone and then i decide if i need to see the doctor!!

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 08:04:35 am »
i always get a copy of the labs and compare them to previous lab results,if i see a change,i set up an appt.

Offline randym431

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 08:24:44 am »
Im on an every 6 month thing. Many here probably are. My doc suggested it, not me. But I gladly agreed to the 6 month as long as he doesn't have a problem refilling meds when the drug store calls in. I also have a co-pay card making my cost -zero-. I haven't paid a copay for years.
But as I draw nearer to retirement age, I wonder how medicare and their drug prescription program pays for expensive meds?
I know a close friend with a rare form of leukemia where a med called gleevec (ie the magic bullet) keeps this in remission. The cost for 30 pills (one month) is $9000.
And he plans on retiring in a year at 66.
I'd like to know how this works if one lived in Canada on their national health plan?
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline buttom_98

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 09:32:09 am »
If your numbers are stable, 6-month follow-up is the norm. It is suggested by the treatment guideline, not like your doc just wanting to see you. You might decide not to go. But your doctor has to set up the f/u schedule as the guideline says.

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 02:23:57 pm »

Regrading paying for labs and nurse's time- I still have no issue paying and going for the tests- and that's when I'm charged for the actual labs and nurse's procedure to take blood.  As far as I can tell, my doctor just reads a CD4 number and an undetectable viral load while I'm in the room.  It takes 45 seconds.

My goal is to see her only once a year for an annual (or if my numbers show any real change).

Your doctor has to be paid.  Start a charity fund for yourself if to pay him if you want him to volunteer his services.
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 03:12:39 pm »
Hi,

I've been on treatment for a couple of years and don't ever miss a dose.  For the past two years my viral load remains undetectable and my cd4 count continues to trend upwards. Life's not bad.

My question is, has anyone had any luck convincing their doctor to not require an office visit every time they get their results, especially if the results continue to be the same and improving every three months.  Office visits require some time off work, and cost me and my insurance money just to have my doctor say, "looks like everything is good." 

Email or even text can tell me that. Luckily I have insurance, but I can't help to feel like I'm being used as a cash cow. 

What is everyone elses experience?

Let's clarify.

Scenario 1 - 
So, you go get blood drawn, but don't see your doctor. 
And then you want to skip going in to SEE the doctor, to get the results?

Yes, I have done this.  BUT - CAVEAT - the doctor does have to CALL me and spend a few minutes on the phone, and he has the right to charge me those minutes and he does.  (This is Swiss law - where everything is broken down into minutes + the kind of service during those minutes.)  Yes it saves me money and time.  Saves the doc only some time...  But its up to the doc to decide if he/she is professionally comfortable with NOT seeing.  He deserves to be paid - he has to sit there, read all your results and apply his professional expertise as to whether everything is OK and as to whether a visit might be necessary or not.  Right????

Scenario 2
You you go to get blood drawn, AND at that time, you see the doctor?
And you want to avoid a 2nd visit to see the doctor?

I don't think Scenario 2 happens, anyway, because most docs want the results, when they see you.

Also, just a comment.  You have considered the possibility that the DOCTOR does not see you as a cash cow, but that office visits are his/her standard level of service.....

Also, he/she SHOULD be willing to discuss your concerns, as per time and money wasted.  And explain his/her rationale for the visit.  If he/she won't discuss this.....  hmmmmm.  not a good sign.....

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 03:15:51 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 03:17:05 pm »
But when I have to see my cardiologist, I tell him "I do not know what I am doing here, I've been feeling good" and he responds to me. "you are here making my car payment" haha

Do you find that funny?  Does your cardiologist?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 03:19:43 pm »
HIV can be so inconvenient .

Yeah, this ass flu is sure a pain in the ass.

Listen people, if you are seeing "vampires" and profiteers..... I dunno.   Change your attitude, change the relationship, or change your doctors (if you can).

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 06:29:27 pm »
when i get my blood drawn,the nurse does it ,i never see the doctor, once the results come in the nurse gives me the results and she gives me a copy,if i feel that i need to see the doctor then i set an appt.he's cool that way.i wonder if he remembers that i slept with him about 30 yrs ago?!!!lol

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 03:57:54 pm »
I go to the dr. every 3 months, have for the past 2 and half years.  I imagine I will continue to do so for awhile.  I go next week so we shall see.

Michelle 8)

How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 05:57:01 pm »
Hi klassykitty...with this numbers, you have to be tested every three months....In my case I've been undetectable for the last 6 years. Now I go see my ID doc, talk about all my problemas, neuropathy, eye's problems, etc then he send me to see the "vampires" (lab-tech)for all sorts of blood work. A week later I call my doc's nurse to ask for my bloodwork's results and if  everything is ok, she ask me when I want to come back, 5 or 6 months. I always choose the 6 months, the nurse tells me ok, if I want to come back before just call her. I have a great relationship with my doc, I've been seen him and his nurse for 18 years. I'm very happy paying them for the great way they treat me and for keeping me alive all this years.

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 04:24:03 am »
What I would prefer is to have a doctors visit, get my blood drawn and get the results via email.  Or there is some thing online that I can look into, but I have to get the info from the doctor if he or his staff even knows how.
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 11:00:47 am »
I get labs done quarterly (mostly) and visit every six months. I have openly lobbied for once a year in person. I assert they can use the time slots for someone new or sicker. If my counts stay in line then my annual visit plan should happen. Heck. When you compare this to people lost to follow-up then we are superstars of lab/visit compliance. Right?  Oh I should add I get results via email or vmail and have for years.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.