Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:50:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 235
Total: 235

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Plz help me  (Read 30623 times)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Plz help me
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2011, 12:19:04 pm »
No, this incident as you have reported it absolutely would not be one for which PEP is indicated.

I am also going to warn you about starting a whole new cycle of what ifs over an extremely low level risk incident. We're not going to indulge you in that. For you getting tested is mainly for your peace of mind and not because you had a for real risk.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2011, 01:03:48 pm »
aa,

You do not need PEP over this brief, insertive incident.

I urge you to re-read your entire thread, like Rodney suggested.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline aa554

• Standard
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2011, 08:37:47 am »
Hi Ann,
A couple of cases on the "I just Tested Poz" forum claim that they got infected due to broken condom. Could you clarify whether they had experienced a broken condom where the penis was withdrawn immediately or they realized after ejaculation? Also what does your experience say about me getting tested and coming out Negative?

Thanks,
aa

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2011, 09:15:43 am »
aa,

I have yet to see the insertive partner end up positive over a condom break, in over ten years of being on this forum.

I suggest you stay out of forums where you do not belong and obviously do not understand half of what you're reading.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline aa554

• Standard
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2011, 05:15:37 am »
Hello All,
A few days ago i noticed discharge from my penis and was given cefixime 400 mg and Azithromycin 1g + 7 day course of Vibramycin twice a day for treatment. However, after taking the medicine I started getting bouts of diahhrea and headaches a few red pimples on the arm and on the back. I have not noticed any high temperatures or fever, or enlarged lymph nodes. Could this be seroconversion or just a reaction to taking these antibiotics. Also I know that symptoms are no way an indication of HIV but could u tell me which are the BIG 3 signs of seroconversion. Today is exactly the 14th day after I had a broken condom incident. I am scared and confused of the outcome of this particular episode. Kindly guide me through this.

Thanks,
aa

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2011, 07:47:01 am »
aa,

There are no "BIG THREE" signs of seroconversion. ARS is flu-like and there is nothing specific about it.

Diarrhea is common with antibiotic use. Stop reading things into it.

Once again, you are highly unlikely to end up hiv positive following a condom break as the insertive partner. Chill out already!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline aa554

• Standard
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2011, 02:46:59 pm »
Hello Ann and Andy,
I must say that you guys are doing a wonderful job. It is exactly 17 days since I experienced a condom break with a CSW. Today I have started feeling dizzy and slight headaches and also slightly irritated throat. I am not experiencing any fever and to the best of my knowledge I do not have enlarged lymph nodes. Could this be sero conversion? Also what are the chances me coming out of this incident alright?

Thanks a lot,
aa

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2011, 02:50:01 pm »
Your "symptoms" are not in anyway HIV specific. Not even remotely so.

We continue to expect you to test negative when you test over an incident which was a very minimal risk. In the meantime you need to make a real effort to focus on other things in your life. It will make the waiting time to test pass much more easily than you may imagine is possible. Really. And don't bother saying you are too worried to do that, because I can tell you that response won't fly here.
Andy Velez

Offline aa554

• Standard
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2011, 09:14:15 am »
Help!!!!
I have been experiencing light headaches and extreme dizziness during the day and it is making it difficult to concentrate on my work. So far I have not experienced any high fevers. However, the extreme dizziness and muscle aches is making it very hard to get through the day. Please help me...I hope it is not the signs of seroconversion. Ann, could you plz point out in all honesty whether you have heard of anyone getting infected through broken condom as an insertive partner. I will be grateful if you could help me through this. Also how accurate would be an antibody/antigen test be at 20 days past exposure?

aa

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2011, 09:31:40 am »
aa,

We have repeatedly answered your questions. Re-read your entire thread. The same information that we gave you the last time you experienced a condom break applies in this instance too.

You need to read through the condom and lube links in my signature line. If you're having this many break on you, you're obviously not using them correctly. A correctly used condom RARELY breaks - and I do mean rarely.

I warned you back in February that if you insisted on continuing with this hysterical crap, you'd be given a time out, window period or no window period. That warning still stands.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline aa554

• Standard
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2011, 10:18:57 am »
Hello,
     After going through many of the posts from the respected and very knowledgeable moderators Ann and Andy that the average seroconversion time is 22 days I got myself tested on the 21st day after my broken condom incident. I had been going through many symptoms including a pharyngitis (diagnosed by my doctor), very enlarged lymph nodes in the neck and head, extreme weakness and dizziness that was making it hard for me to get through the day and pressure in the head. The test was a fourth gen test checking for antibodies of both HIV1 and HIV2 and the p24 antigen and it came back NEGATIVE.
    I realize that the earliest that I should have tested was 6 weeks but reading a post where jjrrgg22 tested positive after three weeks and very suggestive symptoms, I could not wait and got tested.
I have two questions:
1)If I am going through seroconversion for atleast one week and am infected would the test indicate atleast indeterminate?
2)Although 4th gen test is not conclusive till the end of three months...can i relax to some extent with this negative under my belt?

Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2011, 10:30:56 am »
aa,

1. Yes, if your illness had anything to do with hiv, you'd probably test indeterminate, if not positive.

2. Any negative result is a good result, but yes, you will need to confirm at three months.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline aa554

• Standard
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2011, 10:33:18 am »
Thanks Ann. What about the presence of p24 antigen at this point in time?
Also when they say that average seroconversion time is 22 days only, is it with 4th generation or 3rd gen tests?
Lastly when you say average, does that mean 50%?

Thanks a bunch
aa

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2011, 10:50:08 am »
aa,

You can find the definition of the word average here.

The p24 antigen is only present in the first couple weeks of infection. It starts to disappear as antibodies are made.

As far as I am aware, 1st and 2nd generation hiv tests are no longer being manufactured. 3rd and 4th generation tests will normally pick up an infection within four to six weeks, and often earlier.

You need to get busy with other things in your life. The time when it is appropriate to test will come much quicker if you're not dwelling on it 24/7. All the fretting in the world won't change the ultimate outcome.

As we have told you time and time again, you are highly unlikely to end up positive when being the insertive partner and having a condom break. So chill out! I do not expect your negative result to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline aa554

• Standard
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2011, 07:38:00 am »
Hello,
Just for information purposes when you say that the average seroconversion time is 22 days does that imply that the average time to test positive on an antibody test is 22 days after exposure.

Thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2011, 07:49:58 am »
aa,

Yes. Seroconversion means the blood (sero, the root of the word serum, which is basically another way to say blood) has converted from hiv negative to hiv positive.

As I've said to you before - You need to get busy with other things in your life. The time when it is appropriate to test will come much quicker if you're not dwelling on it 24/7. All the fretting in the world won't change the ultimate outcome.

As we have told you time and time again, you are highly unlikely to end up positive when being the insertive partner and having a condom break. So chill out! I do not expect your negative result to change.

I warned you back in February that if you insisted on continuing with this hysterical crap, you'd be given a time out, window period or no window period. That warning still stands.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline aa554

• Standard
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2011, 09:45:19 am »
Hello,
I got tested on a 4th generation hiv duo test 37 days after my broken condom incident and it came back negative!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2011, 09:54:35 am »
That's good. And no surprise. We expect you to continue to test negative at 3 months because your risk was so minimal.  Meantime while waiting to test for a conclusive result you need to make a real effort to focus on other matters in your life.

And don't bother saying you're too worried to do that because I can tell you that kind of response is not going to fly here. Just do it. 
Andy Velez

Offline aa554

• Standard
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2011, 10:04:44 am »
Does this negative 37 days post exposure give me some confidence even if my risk was not so minimal?

Thanks,
aa

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2011, 10:25:29 am »
The average time to seroconversion iss 22 days. And all but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after a risk.

So the obvious answer is "yes" to your question. No cut out the drama and get on with other things. I expect you to continue to test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline aa554

• Standard
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2011, 08:15:13 am »
Hi,
This is 47th day after my broken condom incident and previously I have a negative hiv duo test result done on the 37th day of my exposure. I am having a very bad case of mouth blisters nothing like I have experienced before and I think it might be symptoms of ARS. Do you think that my 37th day negative on a 4th generation test is a good indicator of me being positive? Also what do u think about the validity of reports that say that a 4th gen hiv duo test is very very reliable after 28 days? I will be grateful if Ann or Andy could address my concerns.

Thanks,
aa

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2011, 08:38:25 am »
Yes, a negative at 37 days with a 4th generation test is a strong indication that you are likely to continue to test negative at 3 months.

While you are waiting for a conclusive result at 3 months you need to make a concerted effort to direct your attention to other things in your life. It will make the waiting time pass much more easily than you may imagine is possible. And don't bother saying you're too worried to do that because that response is not going to fly here. Just do it. 
Andy Velez

Offline aa554

• Standard
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2011, 08:44:12 am »
Could Ann also respond to this thread.

Thanks,
aa

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2011, 09:45:55 am »
aa,

I also do not expect your negative result to change.

Re-read your entire thread. If you do, you'll see that you have been repeatedly told that you are highly unlikely to end up positive as the insertive partner when a condom breaks.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline aa554

• Standard
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2011, 02:18:16 pm »
Dear Ann,
Could you comment on statements that HIV duo test being very very reliable after a month? I know its not conclusive but can we say that it is close to 95% accurate after lets say 5 weeks?

Thanks,
aa

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2011, 04:34:27 pm »
At this point I am ignoring your question and going to warn you are on the verge of getting a Time Out from the site. You've been told that we expect you to test negative. We're not going play guessing games with percentages at 5 weeks or anymore of that iffy stuff.

Suck it up and wait for your test result. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline aa554

• Standard
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2011, 07:04:46 am »
Hi,
I tested again on a 4th generation hiv duo and was negative 57 days after my broken condom incident. I think I need to put this behind me and move on because duo test after 8 weeks are conclusive.

aa

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2011, 08:03:15 am »
aa,

If you do decide to confirm at three months as we recommend, I absolutely do not expect your result to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline aa554

• Standard
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2011, 02:18:34 pm »
Hi,
Ann, have u ever heard of anyone negative at 8 weeks and then turning positive with a 4th gen hiv test?

Thanks,
aa

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2011, 06:37:15 am »
aa,

NO.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline aa554

• Standard
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2011, 03:59:09 am »
Hi,
Just wanted to share with you all that I tested negative 13 weeks after the broken condom incident. Also got tested for syphillis which came back negative.

aa.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2011, 09:39:54 am »
That negative result is no surprise but it's always a happy thing. Now you can move on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline aa554

• Standard
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2012, 10:52:37 am »
Hi,
Has anyone turned positive after 3 months negative test on a 4th gen test?

Thanks,
aa

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2012, 10:57:18 am »
Hi,
Has anyone turned positive after 3 months negative test on a 4th gen test?

Thanks,
aa

No.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.