Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 15, 2024, 01:38:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37594
  • Latest: FloBeee
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772732
  • Total Topics: 66292
  • Online Today: 218
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 215
Total: 216

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sustiva and Impaired Motor Function After 6 Years?  (Read 15730 times)

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
Sustiva and Impaired Motor Function After 6 Years?
« on: August 29, 2008, 10:16:20 pm »
I am frustrated.  I have been on Sustiva since Labor Day 2002.

I started with Sustiva/Videx EC/Zerit and switched to Sustiva/Truvada in October 2005 due to lipo issues.

And no its not the blonde hair, either, I've had that checked.    :P

I read the Drug Lesson here tonight to be sure I had all of the facts.  I just think that this stuff is wearing on my CNS.  I'm not referring to the buzz you get an hour after dosing, that stopped happening to me years ago.  I have motor function probs and visual perception probs.

I have had increasingly, although mild, problems while walking.  This started Summer 2004, about two years after starting Sustiva.  I would be walking down the street and my PERCEPTION of when my feet would hit the sidewalk seemed a little "off."  I wouldn't stumble, but I would feel off-balance.  This has gotten increasingly worse and I feel I'll have a faux pas in public soon.  I feel like my knees will buckle sometimes.  There's also a slightly light-headed feeling at times.  I feel like I need to be using a cane at age 38 to steady myself. 

Wouldn't that be a sight.   ::)

Since 2006 or so, I have started having problems while driving as well.  Its as if there is sensory overload, too much too fast in my field of vision.  Bright sunny days make it worse, sometimes temperature and the radio can be big distractions, depending on how tough it is to concentrate.  If I drive over 50mph I feel like my hands aren't even on the wheel, very intimidating.  This is why I don't take the highway to work.  Not only because its more congested, but if I had to do 60mph for more than 10 minutes, I would become extremely fatigued from sensory overload, feeling like I would lose control of the vehicle.  What do they call this, "visual-spatial" something or other?

I have been checked for everything under the sun, very aggressively over the past 18 months:

allergies (started daily meds March 2008)
diabetes (on insulin since 1981)
fibromyalgia (since 2001)
neuropathy (NONE)
stress test (no probs)
blood pressure (no probs)
neurologist visit (no probs)
nerve conductivity test (no probs)
ENT docs x 2 (no probs, highly sensitive hearing)
MRIs of brain x 5 (all clear)
rheumatoid arthritis (not detected)
lupus (not detected)
Lyme disease (not detected)
low iron (slightly low, supplement recommended)
anemia (not detected although I beg to differ)
B12 deficiency (no probs but I wonder)
vision (no probs)
anxiety (no probs)

Whew, enough already.               

I DID read in the Lessons that motion sickness is a possible side effect from Sustiva, but from WALKING?  Are they referring to the buzz an hour after dosing, or just general motion sickness?  I am going to start taking Dramamine and also take the Sustiva earlier in the evening so its effects aren't as bad the next morning when I drive, if that's what this is.

How long has Sustiva been around anyway?  I started it Labor Day 2002.  Happy Anniversary to the stuff, huh?   

I have googled this topic and there seems to be some preliminary research on it, so maybe these types of probs are just surfacing in those of us who have been on Sustiva for awhile?

Any feedback from those of you experiencing this would be appreciated.  I hate to think I would have to change my regimen because my numbers are so good right now, but this is becoming DEBILITATING and exhausting.

Thanks,

~Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
Re: Sustiva and Impaired Motor Function After 6 Years?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 10:20:10 am »
Hi Moonlight

Have you considered that it might be the Truvada instead of the Sustiva?  My first bottle of Truvada had a bright red warning sticker that said "May cause dizziness"  And the Truvada website says:
"The most common side effects associated with Emtriva or Viread when taken in combination with other anti-HIV medications are dizziness, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, headache, rash and gas. Skin discoloration (small spots or freckles) may also occur. Few people stop taking their anti-HIV drugs due to these side effects."

http://www.truvada.com/114SideEffects.asp

The timing sounds like it is more linked to the Truvada too, if you started it in fall 2005 and have been having problems since 2006.

Just a suggestion.  This must feel very unnerving; I hope you can find a solution.

Regards
Assurbanipal
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 10:24:46 am »
I guess I always thought it was stemming from the Sustiva because the probs started back in 2004, and because the Sustiva would give you that loopy feeling, initially.  I have always thought of Sustiva as the more evil of the two! 

Either way, I am going to talk to my doctor.  From what I recall, a lot of these meds have "dizziness" as a side effect, but this is really becoming worse for me.  I'll read up on Truvada.  Thanks for your reply.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 07:18:21 pm by MOONLIGHT1114 »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 10:32:53 am »
Some of it really sounds like neuropathy, though in your list it says they said "no" (of course, doctors are often wrong with this particular issue).  PN is VERY common from Videx AND Zerit... and you were on both at the same time (?)

PN doesn't always happen overnight when you take the meds that cause it.  It can take years to damage your nervous system and thus the symptoms can seem delayed.

What type of doctor exactly have you seen for that issue?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 10:43:41 am »
Hi Philly~

I often wondered about PN as well, too.  My ID doc put me on Vitamin B6 (?) a few years ago, and it didn't help.  The relationship with my ID doc was strained, many people in the area don't like her.  I have since found a new doc who I have only seen twice, I will see him in October.

I have brought up these issues to ALL of my docs.  My PCP did the nerve conductivity test,  ordered all of those MRIs of my brain, ordered the stress test and sent me to the neurologist as well.  My endocrinologist (for diabetes) is in the same office as my PCP and he did some nerve testing to see if it was stemming from the diabetes.

These guys have been my docs for 10+ years, but they admit they aren't schooled in the field of HIV.  I am going to really dig deep when I see my ID doc in a few weeks.  He is wonderful, he listens and I can trust him.

Maybe it IS PN, but I just don't know.  I am having increased trouble with my "gait" as they call it, and there's no way in hell I could walk and look back over my shoulder at you at the same time (insert blonde joke).  I just would lose all sense of balance.

Yes, I was on Sustiva/Videx EC/Zerit all at the same time from Sept 2002 to Oct 2005.

~ Cindy

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 10:51:53 am »
Maybe ask them if you can try out a low dose (I'm on 900mg) of Neurontin and see what it does for you with PN.  Neurontin is the most prescribed for PN because it doesn't interact with any HIV medications.  It's worth a try -- not feeling your feet or hands is simply not acceptable, and considering your use of Videx and Zerit I'm rather surprised that they've not gone this route... but of course I'm not a doctor.

PCP's I find little value in.  I'd try to locate and ID doctor who will be your PCP as well, even if it involves more travel time.

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 10:54:59 am »
Philly~

I know that PN is related to the extremities, of course, but could it manifest itself in your head as well?  Sounds funny, but how do I describe it.....Like a disconnected feeling?  Did you ever experience this?

~ Cindy

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 10:57:42 am »
Did you ever experience this?

~ Cindy

No

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 12:17:39 pm »
I am frustrated.  I have been on Sustiva since Labor Day 2002.

I started with Sustiva/Videx EC/Zerit and switched to Sustiva/Truvada in October 2005 due to lipo issues.

And no its not the blonde hair, either, I've had that checked.    :P

I read the Drug Lesson here tonight to be sure I had all of the facts.  I just think that this stuff is wearing on my CNS.  I'm not referring to the buzz you get an hour after dosing, that stopped happening to me years ago.  I have motor function probs and visual perception probs.

I have had increasingly, although mild, problems while walking.  This started Summer 2004, about two years after starting Sustiva.  I would be walking down the street and my PERCEPTION of when my feet would hit the sidewalk seemed a little "off."  I wouldn't stumble, but I would feel off-balance.  This has gotten increasingly worse and I feel I'll have a faux pas in public soon.  I feel like my knees will buckle sometimes.  There's also a slightly light-headed feeling at times.  I feel like I need to be using a cane at age 38 to steady myself. 

Wouldn't that be a sight.   ::)

Since 2006 or so, I have started having problems while driving as well.  Its as if there is sensory overload, too much too fast in my field of vision.  Bright sunny days make it worse, sometimes temperature and the radio can be big distractions, depending on how tough it is to concentrate.  If I drive over 50mph I feel like my hands aren't even on the wheel, very intimidating.  This is why I don't take the highway to work.  Not only because its more congested, but if I had to do 60mph for more than 10 minutes, I would become extremely fatigued from sensory overload, feeling like I would lose control of the vehicle.  What do they call this, "visual-spatial" something or other?

I have been checked for everything under the sun, very aggressively over the past 18 months:

allergies (started daily meds March 2008)
diabetes (on insulin since 1981)
fibromyalgia (since 2001)
neuropathy (NONE)
stress test (no probs)
blood pressure (no probs)
neurologist visit (no probs)
nerve conductivity test (no probs)
ENT docs x 2 (no probs, highly sensitive hearing)
MRIs of brain x 5 (all clear)
rheumatoid arthritis (not detected)
lupus (not detected)
Lyme disease (not detected)
low iron (slightly low, supplement recommended)
anemia (not detected although I beg to differ)
B12 deficiency (no probs but I wonder)
vision (no probs)
anxiety (no probs)

Whew, enough already.               

I DID read in the Lessons that motion sickness is a possible side effect from Sustiva, but from WALKING?  Are they referring to the buzz an hour after dosing, or just general motion sickness?  I am going to start taking Dramamine and also take the Sustiva earlier in the evening so its effects aren't as bad the next morning when I drive, if that's what this is.

How long has Sustiva been around anyway?  I started it Labor Day 2002.  Happy Anniversary to the stuff, huh?   

I have googled this topic and there seems to be some preliminary research on it, so maybe these types of probs are just surfacing in those of us who have been on Sustiva for awhile?

Any feedback from those of you experiencing this would be appreciated.  I hate to think I would have to change my regimen because my numbers are so good right now, but this is becoming DEBILITATING and exhausting.

Thanks,

~Cindy

You might want to talk to your doctor about Sustiva, being on that for that long couldn't be a good thing, I find THIS SHOCKING after 6 yrs. I was on Sustiva well over 10 yrs. ago, did you know that they now have better drugs other than Sustiva..........I would really look into this, if I were you......... if your Doctor won't do anything about this, perhaps you should find another one, I sure would ???
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 12:21:02 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 02:58:41 pm »
I have a brand new doc that I just started going to this year, so I am confident he can help me.  The last doc was horrid and not worthy of my copay!  I have also been on Fortovase for 6 years from 1996 to 2002, before the Sustiva.  I don't know if that means anything.

I've been on meds since 1994.  Thanks for your support, I'll let you know how it goes.

:)

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 06:57:34 pm »
Mini has had fine motor problems since, well, forever.  I'm not sure if it was from her Susteva which she also started in Jan 2002 and took it until Feb. 2008.  She's been on Zerit since late 2000.  We're having the same problems you are with her PID not acknowledging that she has PN.  Instead, she's been tested for Lupus, arthritis, vitamen deficiency, and had a bone density test.  She still has problems with walking, esp. her gait, memory, and fine motor and gross motor stuff.  I guess once the meds mess with the brain, even switching the meds doesn't reverse whatever damage is already done.

It does make me curious why the doctors aren't real forthcoming in the side-effects, short and long term, of the meds. Then some, like Mini's, want to pretend that it's everything BUT the meds. Do they think that we'd choose NOT to be on meds if we knew? 

I sure hope something can be figured out for you, hun.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 07:51:56 pm »
Wow, Mum, seems like Mini and I have the same side effects.  I don't suffer any pain anywhere, but my balance and motor function gets screwy.  I feel better holding onto a handrail or something when walking.

Now you can understand why I would've been a goner on those pyramids.   ;D

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 09:06:59 pm »
Hi Cindy,

My motor problems were bad when I was having BAD anxiety and I couldn't walk in a straight line.  I also remember being disconnected on the freeway too. Could it be anxiety too?  That can make you dizzy.  I remember you saying you had bouts of anxiety in the past, right?

edit to add: oh duh I just missed that you put "no problems" with anxiety...nevermind! <-- blonde today
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 09:08:30 pm by shadowfluid »
Jan 08       321/23%  VL 92,000 (very mild shingles)
Feb 1 08    Start Truvada+Viramune
March 08    470/33%  VL 320
mid-May     Start Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada
June 08      571/ 40%     VL   80
August 08   585/ 33%     VL >50
Nov  Lab error!!!!!!!!wah.
Jan 09        535      Undetectable
March 11     756

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 09:46:46 pm »
I have always had low-dose Xanax around, but never really used it.  I never felt the need to, and the few times I did, it wouldn't do anything.  Yep, my doc thought it was anxiety, too, but its not.

I am a mixed bag at this point, lol.

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 07:26:33 am »
Cindy,
A few thoughts from my (not blonde, just aids fogged) brain

seems like you have a number of different issues which may be causing/contributing to these symptoms, either on their own or together. Good that medical team seems to have taken this seriously though and explored in a comprehensive way

Sustiva - this may well be contributing/causing, for some people the cns effects persist long term, & may change in nature over time. I guess you could discuss with your dr trying a switch to another drug to see if you notice any improvement/change. I don’t think there is any reason to believe that you couldn’t maintain your numbers etc provided you switched to another active drug. If you felt it wasn’t helping, you could always switch back again.

Balance etc - you say no pain. Which points more perhaps towards some kind of demyelinization (damage to the myelin sheath, like the socks that your nerve fibers wear, or insulation around electrical cables) This can have a number of causes, incl hiv & hiv meds. Usually this would show up in the neurological workup stuff you had done - but I think it may be worth raising again with this new dr  to get his thoughts. Drugs like neurontin etc, they just change the way the brain perceives  neuropathic type pain - so if you not experiencing this, v unlikely to be useful

In that barrage of tests you had, did they do electronystagmography (ENG) tests? - (different from nerve conduction study type ENG) looks at picking up  problems with peripheral vestibular system (the parts of the inner ear that interpret balance and spatial orientation) and/or the nerves that connect the vestibular system to brain and eye muscles

Fibromyalgia - some people do experience dizziness, sensory disturbances etc with this. So perhaps another thing to discuss with hiv consultant and/or whoever isinvolved in managing this

probably not a very helpful post, this  :-\  but i do hope you can work with this new dr to get to the bottom of these problems - let us knwo what happens.

kate
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 07:29:21 am by penguin »

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 10:56:02 am »
In that barrage of tests you had, did they do electronystagmography (ENG) tests? - (different from nerve conduction study type ENG) looks at picking up  problems with peripheral vestibular system (the parts of the inner ear that interpret balance and spatial orientation) and/or the nerves that connect the vestibular system to brain and eye muscles

Kate~

This most certainly WAS a helpful post!  :)  I've never had an ENG done before.  Funny you should mention the vestibular system.  I went to an ENT last Spring, while waiting to get in to see the one I really had more faith in.  I finally got to see Dr. Hart, the second ENT, who is the best of the best in his field around here.  I also had heard of him through work with a previous employer.  Dr. Hart did extensive hearing tests, which the other ENT did not.  He took nearly an hour discussing everything with me, from fibromyalgia to sensory perception to HIV. 

He DID write me a referral to the Vestibular Lab at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, Maryland.  He said the only reason he wrote the referral is because I really appeared to want some answers.  He guessed that I would go to the lab, have them strap me into a chair while flashing bright lights at me, and see how my sense of balance was affected.

He also said that the tests would probably come out normal, so I didn't go.  Hopkins is a long drive for someone experiencing the problems I have.  I just don't fully believe that Hopkins WOULDN'T find something wrong with my perception.  There is definitely something "not right" with how I am feeling.

Unfortunately, the thing I find time and time again is that any doc other than an HIV specialist would run you through a bunch of tests, not taking into consideration how HIV takes its toll on our system.  These docs mean well, and sure, its nice to hear you're "OK" with regard to one test or another, but......

......you're still left with questions as to why you feel like crap.

I just might have to see my HIV doc in the next two weeks for an extra visit, to discuss how I'm feeling.  The suspense is driving me crazy!

Thanks for your feedback, esp on the vestibular aspect.  Yes, it has been noted, but not explored.  :)

~ Cindy
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 07:26:36 pm by MOONLIGHT1114 »

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008, 02:05:18 pm »
You might want to talk to your doctor about Sustiva, being on that for that long couldn't be a good thing, I find THIS SHOCKING after 6 yrs. I was on Sustiva well over 10 yrs. ago, did you know that they now have better drugs other than Sustiva..........I would really look into this, if I were you......... if your Doctor won't do anything about this, perhaps you should find another one, I sure would ???

Denb -- are you sure we're talking about the same drug?  Sustiva, which is also part of Atripla, is probably the most commonly prescribed antiviral on the market these days.  Also, you said you were on it well over 10 years ago.  Sustiva came to market in 1998, exactly 10 years ago.  So maybe your thinking of another drug, and getting the names confused.

I agree that Cindy might want to consider switching off of it because of the issues she's having, but your broadstroke statement about Sustiva doesn't make any sense.

Offline denb45

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 02:54:23 pm »
Denb -- are you sure we're talking about the same drug?  Sustiva, which is also part of Atripla, is probably the most commonly prescribed antiviral on the market these days.  Also, you said you were on it well over 10 years ago.  Sustiva came to market in 1998, exactly 10 years ago.  So maybe your thinking of another drug, and getting the names confused.

I agree that Cindy might want to consider switching off of it because of the issues she's having, but your broadstroke statement about Sustiva doesn't make any sense.

I was on Sustiva in 97/98 when it was in clinical trails, and after it was approved "98" then was on it untill 2002/2003, (about 3 or 4 yrs) I was on it, but, it didn't work all that well for me, so, I was put on something else I forget what my ID Doc replaced it with, ( might have been Reyataz or Zierit?) but I had VERY BAD neurotpathy, couldn't feel my hands or feet, and the DREAMS were down-right SCARY, I also had the altered LOC = level of conciousness ( I would run into walls, tables, or just about anything that was in the way) I was glad when I was taken off the Sustiva, afterwards most all of the side-effects dissapaired as well  ;D......I wish I could recall all of the Meds I've been on ( in the last 20 yrs) ,but I'm not as good at remembering like you are  ;D at 52 yr old my memory seems to elude me.....LOL  ;D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 03:03:47 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 11:07:10 am »
I have an appointment set with my ID doc, scheduled for 9/16.  I'll let you know what he thinks!

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 12:57:17 am »
Hey Cindy,

There is emerging evidence that Sustiva can cause and/or worsen facial lipo as well.  You mentioned this in one of your posts but you don't look like you have facial lipo - very nice pic by the way.  I have heard others mention co-ordination issues with this drug after taking it for a while.  They reported improvements when they stopped - I can't offer any research to support this just individual reports.  Hope things improve for you.

Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 01:41:27 pm »
Hello Moonlight,

I can offer my experience in this area with the hope that helps.

I've taken Sustiva at 400mg daily (less than the regular dose) since 1999.  I had no balance problems until October last year.  But, the cause turned out to be a middle ear infection that was originally misdiagnosed as food poisoning.  The balance problem came on all of a sudden one morning at work and I began to throw up and had to go to the bathroom with severe diarrhea. I could not stand up and had the experience of the room spinning. I could not turn my head right or left without it feeling like it wanted to keep turning. I also could not walk forward and look back, left and right at the same time without the sensation that I might fall down. Always a fast typist, that skill was also greatly diminished during that time. That also signaled to me  that something had gone quite wrong.  There was no pain at all the first day but the second day I experienced tenderness below my jaw line and a swollen gland. The doctors ran all sorts of tests and gave me antibiotics when I then told them that I thought I had an ear infection.  I took the antibiotics and greatly improved in about five days. I had lingering balance and coordination effects for about a month after the antibiotic treatment and then it all went away completely.

I am happy to report that I am back to my old executive secretary typing speed and efficiency.  I continue to take Sustiva daily at 400mg. Although I and my doctor are aware that Sustiva can contribute to motor skills impairment in some patients, my doctor has not recommended that I discontinue the drug as it was not ruled to be the cause of my particular problem at the time.

Finally, here is a link you might find interesting that deals with mis-diagnosis:

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/e/ear_infections/symptoms.htm

Take care.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 01:45:16 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 09:23:34 pm »
Thanks for your replies.  I was on Zerit which really caused some facial lipo in 2004 - 2005, and then my doc took me off of it.  I sure don't have the same round, Polish face I did before, but this could also be due to a number of things (AGE!  lol).  :D

Yes, I thought of the ear as the problem, too, but I went to two ear doctors, the second being held in very high regard.  I have slight tinnitus now which may be from allergy meds.  I am wondering if the onset of seasonal allergies in the past 1-1/2 years is the culprit.

Thanks for the link, I am going to read through it.  I never had the severe symptoms you experienced -- no spinning, no nausea, no vomiting, just really having balance and perception issues.

Somehow I think my doc won't know what is wrong with me.  Sigh.

Wish me luck next week.

~ Cindy

Offline denb45

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 10:41:19 pm »
I have slight tinnitus now which may be from allergy meds.  I am wondering if the onset of seasonal allergies in the past 1-1/2 years is the culprit.

Humm......... I never knew that allergy Meds may cause tinnitus, thanks for the tip on that, I do know, that I don't like to take them unless I REALLY need them, as they are VERY addicting  ??? so I will AVOID them if I really have to  ;D I can say THIS.......(sometimes my tinnitus in my arms) get's so bad, that I cannot even lift weights, I have to ride-out-the pain for about a week or so, before I can resume my weight lifting again  ???
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 10:45:18 pm by denb45 »

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 08:26:51 pm »
Tinnitus in the arms?  I think you are mistaken, my friend.   ;D

Wikipedia.............

"Tinnitus can be perceived in one or both ears or in the head. It is usually described as a ringing noise, but in some patients it takes the form of a high pitched whining, buzzing, hissing, humming, or whistling sound, or as ticking, clicking, roaring, "crickets" or "tree frogs" or "locusts", tunes, songs, or beeping.[3] It has also been described as a "whooshing" sound, as of wind or waves.[4]. Tinnitus can be intermittent or it can be continuous. In the latter case, this "phantom" sound can create great distress in the sufferer."

Yep, damn tree frogs are always with me these days.   :-\

Offline denb45

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 08:42:25 pm »
Tinnitus in the arms?  I think you are mistaken, my friend.   ;D

Wikipedia.............

"Tinnitus can be perceived in one or both ears or in the head. It is usually described as a ringing noise, but in some patients it takes the form of a high pitched whining, buzzing, hissing, humming, or whistling sound, or as ticking, clicking, roaring, "crickets" or "tree frogs" or "locusts", tunes, songs, or beeping.[3] It has also been described as a "whooshing" sound, as of wind or waves.[4]. Tinnitus can be intermittent or it can be continuous. In the latter case, this "phantom" sound can create great distress in the sufferer."

Yep, damn tree frogs are always with me these days.   :-\

"Tendinitis"...........is what I thought you meant.........but thanks for the definition of "Tinnitus" at least I now know what that is....thanks for the schooling..................I was way off, wasn't I  ;D
I was talking Apples, and you were speaking Oranges.........LOL  ;D

"Tendinitis" or From Wikipedia,

Tendinitis or tendonitis (from the Greek Τενοντίτις, 'itis' denoting inflammation or swelling) used to be thought of as a painful inflammation of a tendon, however, there is rarely much inflammation associated with the condition, thus 'tendinitis' is an inaccurate term, 'tendinopathy' being currently used. More recent research indicates that tendinopathy is an overuse injury resulting in microtears in the muscle fibres, leading to an increase in tendon repair cells, yet an absence of inflammatory cells. This may lead to reduced tensile strength, thus increasing the chance of tendon rupture. Generally tendinitis is referred to by the body part involved, such as Achilles tendinitis (affecting the Achilles tendon), or patellar tendinitis (jumper's knee, affecting the patellar tendon). Chronic overuse of tendons leads to microscopic tears within the collagen matrix, which gradually weakens the tissue.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 08:46:25 pm by denb45 »

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 08:44:25 pm »
...but you made me chuckle!   :D

Offline denb45

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 08:47:54 pm »
...but you made me chuckle!   :D

Yeah do that a lot here is this forum  ;D

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 05:47:42 pm »
Well, I saw my HIV doc yesterday, made a special visit just to discuss all of my balance probs.  We had my labs from over the past year or so, but he wants to retest me for Lyme Disease, syphilis and Hep C.  I have been checked for all of these before, with good results, but he wants to make sure.  I'll have my labs done next week.

Doc also mentioned a possible drug holiday from Sustiva (4 wks) as a last-ditch effort after all other things have been investigated.  It sure would be interesting if I went off of Sustiva and felt better.  I have blamed these physical symptoms on everything else and have checked out fine.

I took a day off work today and had to go to the store to get a few things.  As soon as I got out of my Jeep and stood up, I started getting light-headed, like my blood pressure was dropping.  Maybe I'm just run-down, but this is really perplexing, why do I feel this way all of the time?  More later when I have some answers, even though I could bet money on how the labs will turn out.  F-I-N-E.

A friend mentioned possible sleep apnea?  Who knows?  I don't snore but I sleep on my tummy.  That would help to explain why I am so run-down during the day.  And maybe my lipo gut isn't allowing me to breathe "productively."   :D   I'm a mixed bag.  Wish me luck.

~ Cindy
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 07:32:00 pm by MOONLIGHT1114 »

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 07:42:31 pm »
Dear Moonlight

I have a sneaking feeling the ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM is Sustiva.

A 4 week "wash-out" with no replacement PI is v v v bad in terms of the risk of developing resistance to NNRTIs.

A straight change to something non-Sustiva will tell you in 5 days-6 weeks whether it's Sustiva or not.

There are many common and arcane things that could cause balance/motor problems etc. But, truthfully, have you been at risk of syphilis or Lyme disease etc?

I point at Sustiva and say you! discoordinating orange bomb, and advocate trying something else. That is what I would do. Even if things don't resolve, it is unlikely to make things worse.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 08:08:44 pm »
I suppose I could have been at risk for Lyme disease as a child.  As for syphilis, I really don't think so.

I have spent the evening reading up on different things and am looking more closely at diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA).  While I realize that DKA is an acute event, having suffered one in 1987 myself, I wonder if I have high levels of ketones in my blood that could be leading to disaster?  My sugars are all over the place, always have been.  Over the past two years my A1C has been above the level recommended by the ADA, but only slightly.  I have been diabetic and on insulin for 27 years, since age 11 in 1981.  I already have an appt to see my endocrinologist on 9/30, so I am going to see what he thinks.  I have incurable thirst all of the time, even when my sugars are good, and my labs always seem to show that I am dehydrated, according to my PCP.

I wonder if there is such a thing as "long-term" DKA, without the vomiting and acute symptoms that you would suffer during an actual episode?

And to think I just baked a pan of brownies tonight.  :(

Any thoughts?

Offline Finnboy

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2008, 05:09:17 am »
This will probably sound like a really silly question, but are you taking any supplements?

Your symptoms aren't a million miles away from what I was experiencing a while back. In my case, the culprit turned out to be that single solitary daily (and quite unnecessary) complete A to Z multivitamin I was taking. The only clue was an unusually high level of vitamin D which coincidentally showed up as a casual lab comment when I was being tested for something else.

Within two weeks of discontinuing the vitamin pill: not only had the slinky coils (which I swear were attached to attached to my feet) vanished; but all symptoms of peripheral neuropathy had also gone.

Selenium toxicity is top of the suspect list at the moment, but the jury is still out pending more lab results.

I am absolutely not advocating stopping all supplements; but if you are taking them and experiencing problems, please don't assume that they are benign. Take a step back, look at the whole picture and make sure your doctor knows exactly what you are taking.   

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 06:34:53 am by Finnboy »

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2008, 10:11:31 pm »
Nope, no supplements.  My tummy just won't tolerate them.  I have tried multi-vitamins, glucosamine and calcium with no luck.

My tummy knows best.  :)

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2008, 10:54:42 pm »
Hi Cindy,

Some time ago, I recall bringing up Lyme disease to you as a possibility (my mom had it and it affected her gait/motor skills in a pronounced way) and I thought you said you'd been tested for it.

The reason I first suggested it is your region of the country is prime for Lyme-carrying ticks, add to that you've got a dog and you've spent lots of time outdoors doing yardwork and running the hounds.

If in fact you haven't been tested for it, you should. It can have a long, cumulative affect and, thankfully, when diagnosed, often responds quite favorably to the intense anti-biotic regimen used.

Em

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2008, 06:12:25 am »
I just went back and re-read my 1st reply.  I failed to mention that once Mini was taken off Susteva, her falling episodes greatly diminished and much of the "fog" lifted.  It took from Feb. until about April / May to see noticable results. We literally were sitting around one evening and said, "Mini didn't fall today."

The issues have not completely disappeared. She has some really crazy hazy days, her muscles are still spastic, she falls on very rare occasions, but she has vastly improved. She's learned, too, to not wonder too far and grab a hand when needed.  Do you notice that things get worse later on in the day or when you are tired?  Mini gait seems to get more eratic the more tired she gets.

I'm with Matt.  Ask your doc about switching from Susteva to something else. 

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2008, 06:29:24 pm »
Hi Em and Mum~

I was tested for Lyme disease last March.  One of the 15 or so "markers" came back reactive -- not enough to warrant actually having Lyme disease, according to my PCP and ID docs.  The range for the test was anything over 0.90 was "positive."  I was 1.11, but told that I didn't have enough reactive markers to be concerned.  They thought perhaps I was exposed as a child?  Its confusing.

Anyhow, I go for labs this coming week, and yes, my ID doc has reordered the Lyme disease draw, so we'll see.  Gheez, diabetes, HIV, fibromyalgia, disc degeneration.... "Sure, throw in Lyme disease!"   :D

Yes, Mum, when I am tired or at the end of the work day, things get worse.  I can be sitting at my desk for an hour working, not doing anything physical, but as soon as I stand up, I'll be a little "off."  What really sucks is trying to drive home.  I can't go on the highway and speed along, too many fast-movers out there and my reaction time wouldn't be quick enough.  So, I plug along on the back roads, occasionally getting up to 55mph in some spots, but I know I can take it easy on that route.  Downside is, it takes longer to get home, but at least its safer.

Its not to the point where I need to keep myself from driving, but I fear that things may get worse, so I am being very assertive in getting some answers.  :)

~Cindy

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2008, 11:32:48 am »
I had my labs done on 9/23, last Tuesday, and they drew 12 vials.  I go see my endocrinologist tomorrow and can get a copy to look over before meeting with my ID doc in mid-October.  I hope I can get some answers.  My neck has been a wreck, but I am curious about the Lyme disease results.  I'll keep you posted.  :)

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2008, 04:50:41 pm »
I just got back from seeing my diabetic doctor and got a copy of my labs.  I should be a doctor, lol.  Everything I suspected is true, which means nothing is wrong with me except for maybe this neck!  

Here's the run-down:
Lyme Disease - same result as Jan 2008, poss infection as child, I am 1/100 over the equivocal range
CD4 & VL - 560, undetectable at 37% 
RPR - non-reactive (syphilis)
Hep C - non-reactive

So, considering all of the damn stress I have had for three months, this looks good.  I will really have to look into getting my neck taken care of, cause I think its the root of all evil, more so than side-effects from Sustiva.

Wish me luck.  I think my commute is hurting my neck!  I'm looking for a job closer to home.  Easier said than done. :-\

~ Cindy

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.