Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:19:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 338
Total: 338

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: can some experts help me here  (Read 9143 times)

Offline alittlescared

can some experts help me here
« on: July 10, 2006, 04:15:29 am »
hello

I am gay and at the weekend I slept with another guy. We played around and had protected sex (condom and lots of lube so no worries there), but we finished off by masturbating next to each other. He came first and came over my chest, which left a pool of semen in one place. Without thinking, then I dipped my penis head into the cum a couple of times and finished myself off after that.

I know a lot of places say mutual masturbation is none or little risk, but if a guy can get HIV from his penis being covered in anal or cervical fluids during intercourse (and i guess fluid touching opening of urethra), then surely getting fresh cum over the penis is a risk too?

Should I be testing out to 3/6 months after this exposure?  I know from looking at other threads that you guys can be great with some science to validate what you say. I would really appreciate someone explaining the risk in this case.

I know most of you US guys will be sleepnig, so will log off now and check back later.

Offline john989

• Standard
Re: can some experts help me here
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 04:30:42 am »
alittle,

You don't need to be worried about HIV infection. Mutual masturbation is not a risk. HIV slowly becomes inactive when exposed to the air. That's why infection occurs inside the body (i.e. unprotected anal and vaginal intercourse). The risks you're trying to stretch for are purely theoretical, and don't happen.

Just use condoms for intercourse and you'll remain HIV negative.

Take care,

John

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 05:03:49 am »
alittle,

John is right, there is no risk of HIV transmission from mutual masturbation. Also you had protected anal sex so no worries there. Well done!

It's a wise idea for sexually active people to have a full STD screen at least twice a year. A full STD screen includes an HIV antibody test. If it's been a while since your last STD checkup or if you've not had one before, then you might want to consider making an appointment with your doctor or local clinic.

Please note that I'm not recommending you test as a result of the encounter you describe in your post. Read our Welcome Thread thread. It contains links to our transmission lessons.

Keep using condoms and lube and you'll be fine.

Regards,

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 07:59:38 am »
Just chiming in to concur with what has already been said. Masturbation in the manner you have described is a very, very common sexual activity. If it engendered any risk we would have known that long before today.

Often we get questions related to masturbation and concerns about whether a bruise, nick, irritation, pimple, etc. on the penis orin the public area constitutes a risk. The bottom line is there has never been a documented case of transmission through mutual masturbation. You aren't going to make history by becoming the first.

Also, although there isn't any need for testing in relation to the incident you're concerned about, for future reference it's 13 weeks and not 6 months that is used as a reliable testing point as recommended by the CDC. Six months is only suggested if the person is an IV drug user or has a severely depleted immune system because of cancer treatment or other such major health problem.

Happily yours is not an HIV situation and no testing is necessary. 
Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline alittlescared

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 05:40:36 am »
Hello sorry for coming back to this one

In the last few days there has been a lot of stuff around about how much easier it is to become infected if you are uncircumcised, basically that the foreskin is a great place to pick up infection as it is a mucous membrane.

If you rub infectious fluids into such mucous membrane (i guess like any topical cream) then surely the virus would be absored and exposed to those receptor cells abudent under the foreskin? SOrry if i am misunderstanding some basic science here, but I can't see how using cum to masturbate is no risk, when even a brief unprotected insertion constitutes a risk?

I know that HIv becomes less viable exposed to air, but if the cum contacts your penis within seconds, surely it is still infectious?

Can someone help me out here?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 06:21:04 am »
alittle,

Not one person, cut or uncut, has ever become infected through mutual masturbation, even with fresh cum, and you will not be the first. Successful hiv transmission occurs INSIDE the human body, and masturbation takes place OUTSIDE the body.

You didn't have a risk.

However, while you do not need to test over this specific incident, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence. Please also read through the Welcome Thread and follow the links for further information.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline alittlescared

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 12:52:53 pm »
hello

thanks for your responses before, they did really help and I was moving on until last week.

I managed to find my old login details to continue my thread although my concern is about something else.

Last week I was having a haircut, and during the cut, the hairdresser cut his finger and although acknowledging that he 'nicked' his finger, he only noticed it bleeding a few seconds later as he continued to snip away. He then dabbed the cut with a tissue and put a plaster over it, and then finished cutting my hair. He did not wash his hands, but at least covered the main source of the cut, saying it "happens all the time", showing me some healing scars on his fingers. 

I know that I would probably know if there was a cut on my head, but under all my hair, I guess I could not be sure that there was no 'route' if any of his fresh blood dripped onto my head. I have been playing it over in my mind a little, and thinking of things like my hair was still quite wet and might have diluted any blood, although even thinking that although blood does not go through skin, on a wet head full of follicles during a haircut, it could be more risky?

Obviously I would never know for sure even if the hairdresser has HIV (or any other blood bourne disease for that matter), but i just need to know whether this should worry me.

I keep reading about 'needs to be sufficient quantity' but that is quite vague - is one drop of blood not much to worry about - ie - when blood to wound contact has happened before it has been much more severe and obvious.

Any help would be so much appreciated.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 03:20:11 pm »
This is not a worry about getting infected.

Offline goNDdomers

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 06:08:11 pm »
Mutual masterbation is not a risk for HIV transmission.  Period.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 06:40:59 pm »
goNDdomers, alittlescared was not talking about masturbation.

Offline goNDdomers

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 06:45:58 pm »
hello

I am gay and at the weekend I slept with another guy. We played around and had protected sex (condom and lots of lube so no worries there), but we finished off by masturbating next to each other. He came first and came over my chest, which left a pool of semen in one place. Without thinking, then I dipped my penis head into the cum a couple of times and finished myself off after that.

I know a lot of places say mutual masturbation is none or little risk, but if a guy can get HIV from his penis being covered in anal or cervical fluids during intercourse (and i guess fluid touching opening of urethra), then surely getting fresh cum over the penis is a risk too?

Should I be testing out to 3/6 months after this exposure?  I know from looking at other threads that you guys can be great with some science to validate what you say. I would really appreciate someone explaining the risk in this case.

I know most of you US guys will be sleepnig, so will log off now and check back later.

Sorry to be blunt......"jacking off on each other"  would be considered mutual masterbation, and there is no risk there.  Someone "cumming" on your penis is not a risk either.  Your sex was protected........so there is again, no risk there.  If you did not have unprotected, penatrative sex.....you have no risk of being infected with HIV. 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 06:50:39 pm »
Read the last post that he posted. Before you respond, read, ALL the posts. Getting blood one ones head has nothing to do with masturbation. If you have a fear of HIV please start your own thread and refrain from posting in others threads.

Offline goNDdomers

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 06:55:54 pm »
I apologize.............I hadn't read his last post.......I was responding to his first one.  I do not have a fear of HIV, but thanks for the warm welcome  ;)

Offline alittlescared

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 04:15:54 am »
sorry about the confusion...and thanks rapid rod

can i be sure that even if a drop of (infected) blood was on my head, it would not have caused an infection through a follicle or even a small un-noticed cut? Of course I don't know if any blood made contact with my actual head, but may have just been on my hair before he noticed the blood.

Any more guys and gals pitching in on this one would be much appreciated as I woke up today feeling quite scared not knowing whether to forget about this or not. Even just a little bit of explanation behind your answers would go a long, long way because i just can't seem to quantify the risk anywhere because it's not sex or needle use.

Thanx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 04:34:48 am »
little,

People don't get infected with hiv at the barber's. It just doesn't happen.

It sounds as though you are on a slippery slope to seeing the potential for hiv infection where none exists or will ever exist. I would suggest you seek the assistance of a mental health care professional to help you learn how to deal with these kinds of anxieties - because this is NOT the place for you to work these things through. OK?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline alittlescared

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 04:50:23 am »
thanks ann

i understand what you are saying and i have been considering the possibility that this is stuff that needs to be sorted in my head but i would really like to know if a drop of blood on my head would not be anything to worry about in the first place. I am aware that the risk level is low, but I would really appreciate an answer to show me that it is not possible in my case, and i will look into help to stop me coming back again in the future.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2006, 05:39:54 am »
little,

If a drop of blood on your head were anything to worry about, we'd tell you. This situation you bring to us isn't low risk, it's NO risk. Now please get some help addressing your anxieties before they run away with you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.