Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:38:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 351
Total: 353

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My state may be next  (Read 8054 times)

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
My state may be next
« on: January 04, 2012, 05:56:55 pm »
In what seems to be an increasing move by states to legalize gay marriage, albeit somewhat frustratingly slow, our Governor has come out in support and will be proposing legislation to enact it.

I live in a fairly progressive state, but one that has a track record of going either way.  Currently the Dems hold the majority in the House and Senate, and every statewide office except the AG, (who's running for governor next year as Gregoire is not seeking reelection).
So, while I'm still skeptical about the possibility, given all the other challenges this state faces in the upcoming legislative session (read: BUDGET)
it could happen.  :)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45870588/ns/local_news-portland_or/

Edit to add:  From the Seattle Times  http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politicsnorthwest/2017157564_gregoire_to_introduce_gay_marr.html

RAB

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:27:41 pm by RAB »

Offline Jody

Re: My state may be next
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 08:30:04 pm »
Go Washington state!!!

Jody :)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 09:26:01 pm »
SWEET! You've gotta love progression, and WA seems to be a state that is one of the best examples of forward thinking. My corporate headquarters is based in Seattle and I love visiting there.
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 02:12:01 pm »
The state Senate passed the bill and it is now headed to the House, where it will easily pass.  The Governor will sign the bill.

Never in my lifetime did I think something like this could happen, but it appears to be the case.

The only hiccup is the threat of putting an initiative on the ballot for voters to decide.  Opponents have until June 6th to gather 120,000 for this to be the case.  But they can't file their initiative and begin to collect signatures until after the Governor signs the bill.  In other words the longer she waits to sign the bill, the less time they will have to gather those signatures.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2017398387_gaymarriage02m.html

All I can say is WOW!

RAB   :)

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 08:04:29 pm »
I know the focus is on the recent 9th circuit court ruling that Prop 8 is unconstitunal.

But please allow me one small grain of pride in the state in which I live.  Washington appears to be on the verge of becoming the 7th state to legalize gay marriage.  My partner and I will celebragte 25 years come this July, we can't think of a more special gift.  Threat to tradional marriage?  Hell give me a break!

It already passed the Senate and today it passed the house, and is headed to the governor for her signature.

There will potentially be a referendum fight, assuming opponents can gather the necessary signatures to place it on the ballot.

That's a story for another day.  Tonight is a night to celebrate.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2012/feb/08/Washington-house-gay-marriage-vote/

RAB

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 08:22:43 pm »
RAB, you in Seattle also (me too)
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 08:28:21 pm »

Yeah, we discussed this during our last AMG in Seattle.   ;D 

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 08:36:06 pm »
Yeah, we discussed this during our last AMG in Seattle.   ;D 

Wolfie

Um, I knew that!

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 12:25:43 pm »

No bug I don't live in Seattle, although did for 20 years.  But I do still live in Washington.

So what are your thoughts on this?

RAB   ;D

Offline buginme2

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 12:49:42 pm »
Well, unfortionately Washington is one of the 24 states that permits referendum's.  So even though the legislature has passed this and the governor will sign it, the people of Washington will get to vote on whether my partner and I can get married. 

Putting what I consider to be a civil rights issue up to a popular vote really upsets me (especially since it cooncerns me).  I do not know if the people of Washington will support it.  Washington (and Seattle) play itself off as being liberal and open minded but, I question whether that is really the case. 

One thing I am not looking forward to is the tv commercials starting talking about how marriage equality (i dont use the term gay marrige) will destroy society.  I remember the commercials in California during prop 8.  I dont want to see that again.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 09:43:17 am »
Hopefully the Mormons will not pile on en mass in the run-up to the referendum like they did in Californication. I agree that civil rights issues should not be subject to a popular vote.

I hope this passes into law. That would be awesome!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 12:37:10 pm »
I know the focus is on the recent 9th circuit court ruling that Prop 8 is unconstitunal.

But please allow me one small grain of pride in the state in which I live.  Washington appears to be on the verge of becoming the 7th state to legalize gay marriage.  My partner and I will celebragte 25 years come this July, we can't think of a more special gift.  Threat to tradional marriage?  Hell give me a break!

It already passed the Senate and today it passed the house, and is headed to the governor for her signature.

There will potentially be a referendum fight, assuming opponents can gather the necessary signatures to place it on the ballot.

That's a story for another day.  Tonight is a night to celebrate.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2012/feb/08/Washington-house-gay-marriage-vote/

RAB

You have every right to be extremely proud of your fellow citizens, who elected leaders that support full equal rights.  I am so happy for the both of you and maybe you could both come to the AMG and have a reception to honor your union.

Joe
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 12:40:01 pm by killfoile »

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 08:47:38 pm »
Although we discussed this on the phone the other day I'm still as confused as ever, so just let me know when it all goes through...I really don't get politics... ;)

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 01:46:42 am »
Bill Maher talked about this tonight on his show.  He was saying how unAmerican it is (or should be) to put civil rights up for a vote.  He also said reporters should be asking Mitt why his church dumped $20 Million into California, when their Mormon population is less than 1%.  And, whether that was a good use of $20 Million. 

Here is some progress.  In the past when looking for b-day cards for my partner, I always had to search and search for one that wasn't sex specific.  I found this for him at good ol' Walgreens.  It is sad how shocked and surprised I was.  At first, I thought maybe one was a woman with a very masculine looking arm.  Good for Hallmark!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 04:44:09 am »
Bill Maher talked about this tonight on his show.  He was saying how unAmerican it is (or should be) to put civil rights up for a vote. 

Absolutely. Not only unAmerican, but just plain unHuman/inhumane. Civil rights are human rights and not a fad, fashion or something that should be the subject of what is basically a popularity contest.

He also said reporters should be asking Mitt why his church dumped $20 Million into California, when their Mormon population is less than 1%.  And, whether that was a good use of $20 Million. 

$20 million is small change to the Church of Latter Day Saints.

I hope there is a huge backlash from the residents of Washington state if the (out-of-state) Mormons interfere with the referendum like they did in CA. Beware the clean-cut young men in black dress pants, white shirts and conservative ties. Slam the door in their faces!

Have any of you guys here read up on the history of the Mormon church - and some of the crazy things they still believe in to this day? (Baptising dead people? Really?) I did after becoming fascinated with the telly series Big Love. Talk about lunacy.... !!! Their choir may sound heavenly, but their politics have the potential to make life hell-on-earth for many people.

BTW, is a referendum a sure-thing? How's that petition going? Is there such a thing as a counter-petition to stop the right-wing nutjob petition?

Questions, questions, questions.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 04:59:00 am »

$20 million is small change to the Church of Latter Day Saints.

This is true . I'm hoping for the day to come when churches lose their tax free ride when they insist on venturing into political matters that try to sway or influence what happens at the ballot box .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 05:14:03 am »
This is true . I'm hoping for the day to come when churches lose their tax free ride when they insist on venturing into political matters that try to sway or influence what happens at the ballot box .

Hear, hear!  I'm sick of the "have it both ways" mentality - push religion into legislation, but then cry foul about things like this current contraception calamity that the right is all in a lather about.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 05:19:25 am »

Hear, hear!  I'm sick of the "have it both ways" mentality - push religion into legislation, but then cry foul about things like this current contraception calamity that the right is all in a lather about.

Exactly ... and it drives me nuts when they claim its not about contraception but the first amendment ... its bullshit and a sad way to futher attack the right for a woman to use family planning effectively .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 11:15:38 am »

BTW, is a referendum a sure-thing? How's that petition going? Is there such a thing as a counter-petition to stop the right-wing nutjob petition?

Questions, questions, questions.

Once the Governor signs the bill (which is happening on Monday) the group opposing the bill can register their opposition with the state.  They then will have 90 days to collect 120,000 signatures.  If they collect the signatures the law would be placed on hold until it can be voted on by the people (will happen in November).  If they cannot collect enough signatures then the law will take effect in June.

Conversly, Washington also allows for initiatives.  So seperately if enough signatures are collected this issue could be on the ballot twice (done to confuse voters).  If either vote is no the law is void. They will try this tactic as it almost always ends up killing the law.

Today, Rick Santorum announced he will travel to Washington State on Monday (same day the governor is signing the bill) to campaign against it. 

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 12:52:23 am »
I'm noticing (many are noticing) how the repub candidates are all switching to the social issues that have worked for them in the past.  Mitt has said that the economy is improving.  Many repubs went nuts, asking how is he going to make the argument that Obama was handed this awful economy, push through stimulus, and now the economy is improving--but you should still vote repub.  So, I think they're going for the social issues.  We've seen this with all the contraception and planned parenthood talk.  I just don't think it will work this time.  I guess we'll see.  I just saw a poll that nearly half of Americans believe we should bomb Iran.  Another conflict and war?  Maybe I shouldn't be so optimistic.       

Baptizing dead people-- I believe Mitt's father-in-law was either an atheist or agnostic.  They baptized him anyway after he died.  I will have to go back and look at that again, but I'm pretty sure I'm correct on that.   

Offline buginme2

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 03:42:20 pm »

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 08:45:49 pm »
Maryland senate just approved marriage equality and the governor will sign the bill. 

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/23/us/maryland-same-sex-marriage/index.html

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.