Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:05:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 340
Total: 341

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Took The Plunge !!  (Read 6415 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Took The Plunge !!
« on: June 24, 2006, 02:13:31 pm »
Hey Everyone,

After debating on getting a new computer,( for some time), it has finally been done !  This past Monday, I decided I had better get a new computer desk first, As the old one was leaning on a 30 degree angle. So, I bought a nice solid one, that will hopefully last, without the keyboard tray falling off, when you rest your elbows on it  :)

Wednesday, I decided to call Verizon, and check out their DSL service. I was quite happy with dialup, but they have an offer out there, I couldn't resist, for 14.99/month DSL. , so I signed up and paid for a year of it. I was paying 19.99 a month, so there is a little savings there.

I Am currently still on dial up, the UPS deliverery should be here Monday with the modem, and all that stuff. The actual service won't be activated until June 29 th.

Friday, Ed and I went out and got the computer. Also decided to get a new scanner and printer as well, also the 17 inch flat panel LCD monitor. This looks pretty great, but I am so used to the faded colors and dulness of the 6 year plus old CRT that we had.

Anyway, did a lot of shopping around fior the computer, that would suit our needs, which aren't many.All in all, I think I did allright, for the budget. I just have to figure out Windows Xp and this whole media edition thing.There is a lot of little settings I have to figure out also. Hope this computer last as long as the other one 6 1/2 years. This processor is soooo fast as compared to the old one.

Thats been my week. Hope everyone is well, and enjoying the weekend !!  8)

Take care-------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Teresa

Re: Took The Plunge !!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 02:29:39 pm »
Congrats on the new computer, monitor, and all the other stuff you got. Sounds like you are all set up!

Hubby got me a 17" LCD flat panel and i love it..i got him one for his birthday off ebay and i like his better than mine.. They are nice..gives you so much more room on your desktop.

We also have DSL and i like it. Hubby likes the cable better but i cant tell any difference. We cant get cable out here (too far out in the county) so we have the dish.

Have fun with your new computer and all the other new stuff.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline BB

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 02:35:55 pm »
I had to get a computer in a hurry too. I ended up with an HP with windows XP. I've learned not to trust my set up ability especially with computers, so I let the store nerds do it.

Everything works!

Have fun with your new toy.

BB
Damn the Torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Adm. D. Farragut.

Started Atripla 8/18/06 and if I eat the right food when I take my meds, I get to go on a-trip-la.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 02:47:28 pm »
Welcome to the 21st century Ray.  We missed you.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 03:15:31 pm »
Ray

Congrats buddy,  New puter, new provider, new desk, new scanner, and new something else I forget what!  Boy you really did take the plunge.

RAB
(Who's ignoring all the "media stuff" on his computer, hoping it will just go away!)

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 05:09:09 pm »
Ray dont forget about Norton or Macafee!!

Have fun with XP...

Offline Gary85741

• Native Virginian living in Tucson AZ
    • Good guy, good heart
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 09:25:53 am »
When I replaced my computer (laptop...they're easier on the eyes) about four years ago...my only real difficulty was trying to transfer Quicken onto it.  The computer wouldn't accept it...so I had to hand enter everything from scratch (each transaction)...grrr.

But that was a walk in the park compared to when my VCR gave out and I decided to replace it with a DVD+RW/VCR combo.  Oh the hookup part wasn't bad...but the dad blame "contraption" as I call it didn't half work properly for the first two months.  Now it seems to have settled down and is basically dependable.  Also frustrating was trying to call Sony's customer support line.  Their center seems to be in Calcutta...and they barely spoke English.  It was enough to make me taken a Valium...LOL.

Gary
Poz since '89. 
Current regimen: Rescriptor, Emtriva, Kaletra, Invirase, Acyclovir, Lisinopril, Lipitor, Prilosec, Valium, Testim, Nandrolone, Loperamidr, Marinol.

Offline randym431

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 01:14:13 pm »
Congrads Ray!  Strange, I've been thinking about your post where you said you needed a new pc. Where I work, they recycle out pc's and we can put our names on a list. My name came up and I got a pent 4 with 17" (tube - not lcd) monitor, zip drive, cd burner, and all that goes with a pc for $75. I thought of seeing if you wanted it, but the shipping cost and all would have been costly. I usually sell these pc's (when I get them) on ebay (if a family member doesnt need one), but the boxing and shipping got to be too much of a hassel. I put this one in the paper and finally sold it for $150. Actually a very good deal since they have XP-PRO installed on them (the ones I get from work). XP pro is like a $150 program in itself.

ANyway... You'll REALLY like highspeed when you get it up and running. You can download a ditry video from xtube.com in no time :D :D :D

I've been tinkering with the next MS windows called VISTA. Its nice, looks different, but its in beta stage and I would not recommend it just yet. It eats memory too.

Have fun with the new toys!
Randy
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 01:23:48 pm »
Hey Ray,

Don't worry too much about XP (I'm assuming you had Windows 98?) because it is so much more stable and it does many things that 98 did not do.  There are also a number of good books that will give you a solid overview of the operating system and all the bells and whistles.  So find a good that covers what you want and start playing.

One important note, since your computer is new, get used to using a feature called "system restore" which saves all your settings before you do something major, say like installing a new program, so that if the new install gets botched, you can just "restore" your system to the way it was prior to the install.  That feature has saved me major headaches and it's very easy to use.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 08:13:43 pm »

Got my DSL modem and cables and filters, and manual delivered through UPS today. But I can't hook anything up until 6:00pm on thursday, or unless notified sooner. My phone connection went off for about 5 moniutes today...They must be doing something.

OOOHHH, I feel like a little kid with a new toy !!!  Oh, and the computer is wonderful..

Randy..... Dirty videos huh !!! No comparison with my erotica collection !!   ::)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 11:57:24 am »
Good for you Ray..........Congradulations buddy :-*
I too have been angonizing over the purchase of a new computer, a laptop.
As for High speed internet...I'll just have to wait until I move....

You Go, Boy............. :P
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 12:24:43 pm »
Ray

You're almost there guy.  If you think your new processor is fast, just wait till you activiate your DSL.  Click and whammo, there it is!

One problem I encountered, the filters weren't working on the individual phones.  Once I hooked up the DSL my phones were completely unusuable with squelching and static.  The service to our house has been updated (we've got one of those gray interface boxes outside), but the wiring inside was apparently where the problem was occuring.  (Our house is very old.)

So we had to have a "house wrap"  (I think that was what they called it) done (wait no it was called a "home run" I think).  Meaning they had to put a filter on the entire house (outside in that box) except for the one line running to the DSL connection.  Unfortunately it cost an additional $100.00 (3 payments over 3 months no interest) but it solved the problem completely.

So depending on the age of your house, that might present itself.

RAB

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 08:32:17 pm »
This is GREAT !!  ;D ;D ;D

Well, I got home from work this morning, and checked out my Email, there was a message from Verizon, saying go ahead and install the DSL, that the phone line was ready.

Took about 45 minutes. Got my new email address created, and then came here, to re-sign up for the email news letter. Got my junk email box created also, and got to help Ed get his private mail box set up. I have a load of new email notifications to send out  !! :P

This is really nice. Super fast !! Actually got to see Lwoods home video this morning. It's nice to be able to watch something, without seeing someone get a case of lock-jaw every 3 seconds :) I think I am now prepared for this Hurricane season, thanks to Lwood  :o

Checked out the 4 other phones while online, and no problems. Everythings real clear, and sounding good !!

There is still a couple things I have to figure out here in the windows built in Firewall, but otherwise, everything is GREAT. I put about 25 updates into the computer this morning,for windows, they went in so fast. It would have taken me most of the day without the highspeed.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.