Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:23:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 216
Total: 219

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I've been thinking about World AIDS Day...  (Read 6301 times)

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
I've been thinking about World AIDS Day...
« on: January 13, 2008, 01:24:48 pm »
World AIDS Day is December 1...why?

I have been thinking about this for the last few months and I read on these forums how there isn't enough being done to end stigma, or that there isn't enough money to go around...yet every year on one day we talk about things like this. Then we sit and fuss about it the remaining 364 days...

I propose a challenge to each and every person on this forum, both positive and not: Tell at least one person a week about HIV...you don't have to disclose your status if you don't want to...but if each one of us, and there are at last count: 6572 members on this board, tells one person a week, think about the impact that could make! Think about the affect you, one person could make in your community...

I am tired of whispering about HIV...you know, I did a play called "Brighton Beach Memoirs" and I played Eugene. In the play Eugene talks directly to the audience about how adults used to talk about diseases, mainly cancer. He said: "Aunt Blanche's husband died from (whisper) cancer. I think that they are afraid if you said it out loud that God would hear you and he would say: "I heard that, you said the dreaded disease, just for that, I smite you down with it." And now that my aunt and her daughter's moved in with us, my dad will die from (whisper) high blood pressure!"

Though the line itself is funny, there is a lot of truth behind it.

We want to be respected, listened to, we want to erase stigma...the only way we can do that, is be an activist in our own back yards. I read in this particular forum about activism, yet we attempt to bite off more than sometimes we can chew...but if we each do our own part to engage one person a week, and we ask that one person to tell one person...I know this sounds like an ad for Amway, but word of mouth really works. Grassroots is where it starts and we need to take message to our neighbors and our friends.

So, if we are serious about activism, lets be serious and true to ourselves, and most importantly be true to our communities...get out there, take up my challenge and let us stop stigma where it starts...at home.
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
Re: I've been thinking about World AIDS Day...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 03:42:53 pm »
hear hear
jeromy i second your fine suggestion. lets become the disease that wont shut up!
 :-*
xxxx

ps and yes, i realise that some of you already think that i am the disease that wont shut up!  ;)
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 07:07:10 pm »
Jeromy

I would like to add a suggestion for all US members of the site. Take the first or second week of the 52 you're proposing, and participate in the HIV Travel ban thread to send a letter to legislators. Gerry set up an easy to use template that automatically sends the letter and your optional additional comments to your senators and congressional reps based on zipcode.

It may be important to many members here to understand that participating does not out you or your status, it passes on your opinion to your representatives that the ban must be lifted and Barbara Lee's legislation implemented.

If passed, it should have a direct favorable impact on stigmatization related to the virus. So, it's important because of the benefits to be realized in the our personal lives, the US and worldwide.

Em

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 08:31:23 pm »
I have been thinking about this for the last few months and I read on these forums how there isn't enough being done to end stigma

Hi Jeromy

I have always been open about my status by talking to Med students/college students and nursing staff in my area..mainly about living with HIV and stigma.

I'm about to do this again on a much grander scale, along with 3 other Ladies from the North Island of NZ (I'm the only one from the South Island).

On the 20th of February we will be launching a "De-stigmatisation Campaign" in Auckland..We had the photo shoot on the 8th of Dec and the posters/leaflets and brochures are now all ready to go, our faces will be on posters on the backs of public transport in every major city, and the leaflets/brochure's will be in all the major hospitals and clinic throughout New Zealand in the hope that we will finally be able to get the message across.

This has never been done before in NZ so we are all very excited and pleased about the publicity we have had so far, the media will be present on the 20th to do interviews, and we have been booked to do interviews with two NZ woman magazines..and thanks to the generosity of one of the local TV stations we have been given some free air time to do a small documentary about stigma, and we are hoping this will be picked up by a few more nation wide stations.

I hope when it's all over I will be able to share a few links about the campaign with you all.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 09:27:31 pm »
Hi Jeromy

I have always been open about my status by talking to Med students/college students and nursing staff in my area..mainly about living with HIV and stigma.

I'm about to do this again on a much grander scale, along with 3 other Ladies from the North Island of NZ (I'm the only one from the South Island).

On the 20th of February we will be launching a "De-stigmatisation Campaign" in Auckland..We had the photo shoot on the 8th of Dec and the posters/leaflets and brochures are now all ready to go, our faces will be on posters on the backs of public transport in every major city, and the leaflets/brochure's will be in all the major hospitals and clinic throughout New Zealand in the hope that we will finally be able to get the message across.

This has never been done before in NZ so we are all very excited and pleased about the publicity we have had so far, the media will be present on the 20th to do interviews, and we have been booked to do interviews with two NZ woman magazines..and thanks to the generosity of one of the local TV stations we have been given some free air time to do a small documentary about stigma, and we are hoping this will be picked up by a few more nation wide stations.

I hope when it's all over I will be able to share a few links about the campaign with you all.

Hugs

Jan, that is AWESOME!! I can't wait to hear all about it. Jan you inspire me!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 10:28:48 pm »
Here in Hoosierville, we used to talk to students at Notre Dame, Purdue, Indiana University etc.  Don't know what happened.  The demand has not been good at all lately.  It seems like people are tired of hearing about it.  I'm really not sure what to do to get it started again.  I've always been open about my status as well. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 01:23:58 am »
Hi Betty

I'm not sure what you mean about "We" were you part of a group?

If you are up to doing something on your own, then maybe you could call a few schools and talk to the head principle and let them know you are willing to talk to the students about living with HIV.

Is there a training hospital near you?..you could call the director of nursing to see if they would like you to talk to their Med students..if not then ask your ID doctor about giving talks to the nursing staff at your local hospital, this is how I got started, once people know you are willing to do this it's surprising how word gets around.

The rewards are well worth putting in the effort.
Hugs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.