Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:46:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 252
Total: 253

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Symptoms Question  (Read 27934 times)

Offline assistancerequired

Re: Question
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2007, 07:54:20 pm »
Well folks.  Quick update.  Mind is playing games with me.  Am on Risperdal at night so I can sleep.  Seeing my doc tomorrow for my various ailments.  Cough, headaches, runny nose/congestion still there after 2.5+ weeks.  Stomach varies as does the diarrhea.  Pain under my arms -- am not overdoing it either.  Dehydrated and now have weird pain under my tongue?  Fatigue side has been brutal.  Operating in a continual fog.  This is sucks in many ways.   Am planning on getting tested next week for everything.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2007, 07:57:06 pm »
It's good to hear that you're getting your medical problems sorted out. Like I said before, I expect that HIV test next week to return a negative result.

MtD

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2007, 11:00:00 am »
Guys on the lymph node side -- what does it mean if they are inflamed because mine (or at least under arms/in my armpit on both sides) really, really hurt this morning.  Am worried.  Am seeing my dr. today.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2007, 11:08:14 am »
It generally means you are either STRESSED or you arent leaving them alone and you are poking and prodding them!

Im betting for you, its BOTH.

Lymph nodes mean nothing regarding HIV.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2007, 11:13:44 am »
assist,

Lymph glands can swell any time there is any infection in the body. They can also swell and become sore when you keep feeling them all the time. Keep your hands OFF them and show them to your doctor.

It's highly unlikely that what you are experiencing has the slightest thing to do with hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2007, 01:18:06 pm »
Many thx.  I saw my dr. yesterday.  Clearly he was disappointed since he view this as I am in a precarious loop of which I agreed.  That being said, I forgot to mention the glands.  He does believe I have some type of bronchial infection.  Ran blood work, Hep A, B and HIV.  Wants to do the same in 3 months.   Also went back to my psych yesterday and am seeing him again today.  Am taking meds at night to sleep.  Informed a few close friends of my situation.  Definitely feeling down -- cold never leaves (congestion), right side headaches,  bad stomach, fatigue, pains in arms/legs/back, periodic, but very strong nausea.  Am hoping all of the you are so right (i.e. this is a bug or something stress related).    I really do.  Have also come to another conclusion regarding Alcohol problem, although my friends do not have "blackouts" at the frequency that I do, I view some of them as excessive drinkers as well.  Anyway -- I should get results for 3 weeks in Monday (which in your view may be meaningless, but I will probably retest around 6-8 eweeks on my own) and then finally at the 3 month mark.  Thank you for your support.  Have of this is talking it through to calm yourself down.  To me I can get very overwhelmed by all of this. 

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2007, 09:49:15 pm »
Well.  Two to three days til first results in.  Don't feel like these will be good outcomes.  Issues still troubling me: 1.) really bad stomach (to the point where I had to call the Dr. on call to get some "behind the counter" stuff to tide me over this weekend.  Lot's of gas/some diarrhea.  As for the rest -- head cold (congestion, runny nose, headaches..particularly right side).   In addition, something new.  Pain in legs and lower abdomen/rear end.  When woke this morning my stomach/abdomen was absolutely on fire and in pain.   Lastly the lymph nodes are not calming down.  They show themselves throughout the day -- without touch.  They just hurt.  A couple of things.  1.) Local HIV/STD group that supports the gay community suggested an RNA test ASAP (comments)?  2.) They also suggested a titus (sp?) test for HepB -- which I imagine is a special test  -- am not familiar with it, but the national HepB folks suggested a PCR for HepB.  Too many tests for me.  Am going nuts with anxiety.  Just trying to take it day by day.  One other problem seems to have begun -- pain in/towards the end of my penis.  Not often.  Once or twice a day.  Not during urination.   Regarding the tests, am going to wait until I get the regular results back from my Dr. on Monday/Tuesday and see what the results say.  Am surprised he just went with the regular tests?  Why?  If the results only come out at 3 months why then?  Also why are other support groups suggesting other tests?  Why can't everyone just agree on tests early on -- state what the error rate is at least so anxiety is kept to a minimum.  I don't know.  I hate this and I hate the fact that other people who make mistakes (or god forbid fall into this through other means) have to go through this horseshit.  Everyone be safe this weekend and I will probably log in tomorrow. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2007, 06:28:13 am »
assist,

You do NOT need PCR testing of any sort.

You admit you drink far too much and here's the thing - excess drinking will cause many of the problems you report such as digestive tract issues and not being able to shift respiratory infections. Excess alcohol really does a number on your body. Does your doctor know about your drinking habits? If not, tell him.

Once again, it's highly unlikely that a sex worker would have sex with you without using a condom. Once again, you're worrying yourself sick. Stop it.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2007, 12:12:59 pm »
Ann, thx. for the "dose of reality".  My dr. knows about the drinking -- has watched me go through this same type of thing -- 3x before -- same basic deal, it's just this time seems quite different in terms of post blackout effects with a sex worker.  Am convinced I did have sex -- she did not take the wallet, but all of the larger denominations were gone, yet the wallet was still there as were smaller dollars/change as well credit cards.  1.) I am assuming something happened and 2.) I have no idea what that is -- the corner of a condom wrapper on the floor is probably the only thing I can try to rest some idea of safety from.  Outside of that -- I hope you are right about me making myself sick.  I do many times over.  Thanks for your patience for dealing with me.  My apologies.  Will keep you posted over the next few days.  Hope you are well.

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2007, 12:15:08 pm »
i forgot to mention that I have committed to my friends and myself rehab after I get through this.  I have to do it.  there is no other way out.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2007, 02:10:54 pm »
Good move to get help and good luck with your test result, which like Ann I also expect will be negative.

Andy Velez

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2007, 08:14:59 pm »
thank you Andy for your support (as well  as Ann's and the rest of moderators).  This board has been so helpfuil for me at far too many bad tiimes -- when the guard comes down and you think you can handle a drink, maybe two, particularly when you are traveling because noone is there to say no.  It's here where the wheels comes off and many bad decisions fall into effect.   To net it, I can't do this anymore.  It's hurting me an friends and I don't know what to say.  Thank you all for your support.  Am going to AA tonight.  Have a good night.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2007, 09:00:42 pm »
Good luck with the hard work required to reclaim your life. You ought to be able to get a lot of support in AA.

Andy Velez

Symptoms Question
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2007, 01:13:04 am »
All: hope everyone is having a good weekend.  Put simply, I had protected sex with a female sex worker.  Condom did slip about half way down the shaft -- only saw this at withdrawl.  Head of penis was protected at all times.  Was a dark stain on the sheets -- don't what it was.  24-48 hrs later I have very bad diarrhea/bad stomach/slightly runny nose/somewhat run down feeling.  Any thoughts or am I just reading way too much into this?

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
Re: Symptoms Question
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2007, 01:21:44 am »
you need to keep all questions in your original thread as stated in the welcome thread to this forum
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2007, 01:28:19 am »
My apologies.  Do I just search through the forum to find my original thread?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2007, 05:08:05 am »
assist,

If you'd read the Welcome Thread like you're supposed to, you'd know how to find your thread.

• Please do not start a new thread every time you have another question or thought - regardless if you think your questions are related to each other or not. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Additional threads will be merged.

• If you cannot find your thread, click on the "Show own posts" link in the left-hand column of any forum page, under your name.

Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection. The head of your penis was covered so you were protected. The skin on the shaft of your penis is a barrier to the virus, just as the rest of your skin is. You didn't have a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2007, 06:53:26 am »
Sorry about that (i.e. not reading the note above).  I will next time.  One other question for you -- if I already have HPV and a form of Herpes, would this increase the probability of the transmission of HIV or Hep B/C?  I would assume no for HIV, but maybe for Hep B/C.   I just wanted to ask.  I have only had one of the three Hep B shots so unfortunately I am not completely covered, but from what I have heard regarding Hep B, it's primarily blood transferred, but much more easily transmitted than HIV.  Any help would be appreciated.  thx.

« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2007, 01:29:44 am »
Folks sorry to bother all on the board.  It's been 2.5 weeks since the potential incident and here's where I am at: diarrhea 2x over that period.  Over the past 48 hrs my stomach has turned and nausea has become bad.  Very lethargic.  Headwise, very congested and have sore throat.  Eyes burning/itching a bit as well.  Dehydrated.  I am trying to "cough" this up to the fact that the stomach flu is going around, but am a bit worried in truth.  I read another thread about someone in Asia with a similiar incident and the condoms not fitting properly, and I concur, I ran into the same problem.  I am planning on getting checked at the 6 week line.  Until then trying to keep my head above water.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2007, 04:55:36 am »
assist,

See your doctor about your physical problems. They're nothing to do with hiv as you did NOT have a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2007, 08:53:15 pm »
Ann,

Thank you.  I am beginning to panic.  I woke up this AM felt really, really bad.  Like a really bad stomach flu -- nausea, sweats, headaches, mucous in my nose/lungs, very bad stomach -- particuarly across the top of my stomach.  Pretty consistent all day.  Went to my Dr. at 2:30.  He went to run a series of tests which I should get results on Tuesday.  To say I am flipping out would be an understatement.  help.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2007, 09:01:10 pm »
Reread Ann's last post to you. It has nothing to do with HIV.

« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2007, 12:40:42 am »
Understood.  Quick question -- I read through your lessons above regarding Hep B.  Need to ask a question.   How long would it typically take for Hep B symptoms to show themselves?  i.e. It's been three weeks for me since the incidents and I have been very ill since Tuesday.  Nausea just does not seem to go away.  If it was the stomach flu it would have passed by now I would think.  What are your thoughts? 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2007, 06:05:39 am »
assist,

As we've told you, you need to take your symptoms to a doctor. We cannot diagnose you here.

You didn't have a risk for either hiv or hbv. Now go see your doctor about your tummy trouble. If you need a time out to encourage you to go to your doctor, that can be arranged.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2007, 01:53:14 am »
I am having trouble navigating the board so my apologies if this is "out of thread".  So I felt I was getting better until last Saturday when I reverted back to "old habits".  I was in Munich at Oktoberfest and drank far, far too much.  Had an alcoholic blackout.  Very big one.  From mid to late afternoon to the next morning.  Do not clearly remember leaving the beer tent.  Spotty.  Worst part, remember partially being at a strip club with a woman asking if I wanted to have ex.  Have no memories if I received it.  Don't actually remember sleeping.  Remember the next day wandering around block to block unsuccessfully trying to find my hotel.  By noon found it (I was only one block away and yet could not located it).  Tried to go to sleep -- noticed all of my money (euros were gone).  Several days later noticed that my credit cards had charges that I had never, ever remembered granting -- luckily they were invalidated by the bank.   For two days had a Very bad pain in my lower right side.  Was generally ill for the following day and the day after.  Flew home Monday.  Today is Tuesday and have developed a terrrible cold (runny nose, very bad sore throat, itchy eyes, bad stomach, etc.).  Am very scared.  Seeing my psych tomorrow.  Am also seeing my regular Dr. as well.  I have an alcohol problem that I can't seem to kick.  I also have a manic depressive issue that has been steadily creeping up on me.  I have trouble concentrating and sometimes -- I know this sounds bad -- can't seem to concentrate while driving.  I have bad thoughts -- and they become overwhelming.  I think that this may also contribute in some way to the alcohol issue.  I am really scared right now because I don't know what happened, but i know that I am really sick.  All I know was the next day I was walking around fully clothed.  Please help.  Sorry to post again.  I have some serious problems and hate including my family (brothers, sisters, parents, etc.) in them.  Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.  thx.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2007, 02:16:29 am »
I don't see how we can help you. You drank yourself into oblivion and can't remember a damn thing, what do you expect us to say?

All I can advise is that you get medical help for your alcohol problem.

MtD

« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2007, 10:51:11 pm »
Understood.  Here's where I am at.  I spoke with a counselor today and will be speaking with my doctor tomorrow about some type of fluid you can take that has a negative effect with alcohol + will get back into AA.  That being said I went to the city clinic to get tested today -- (and to try and get PEP -- they said I was too late by one day).  I tested negative today with Oraquick/sure (I don't know which) and they are sending my blood for an RNA test.  I told them that does not help me now.  They want me to come back in 30 days.  Here is my problem: I returned Monday and have been sick since.  Started as a head cold/sore throat -- now a headchest cold, periodic pains in my arms/legs, and now nausea/diarrhea.  Am very scared.  Very.  The woman at the clinic tried to reassure me that getting HIV via woman to man is difficult, but it's still very possible for there are many people who have had this happen.  Am pissed off at myself for not remembering about PEP sooner.   They tried to assure me that HIV symptoms do not happen this fast -- is this so?  I know you guys don't want to help someone who has time and time again failed with alchohol and repeated their past mistakes, but any guidance you could provide would be much appreciated.  I just filled one my relatives in on my situation and their comment was "not again -- don't ever learn"...now you know why I can't really go to my relatives.   Someone please provide some feedback.  I am struggling to stay afloat.  thx.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2007, 10:57:58 pm »
I still don't see how we can help you any further.

You have a problem with alcohol, you got trashed, you can't remember what you did. Now you've confected the situation into some baseless HIV drama and organised a whole lot of testing.

The real answer to your problems is not endless rounds of pointless HIV testing, but to seek professional help for your substance abuse issues and other mental health problems.

We cannot assist you with those things.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2007, 05:19:58 am »
assist,

This forum does not exist to hold your hand every time you get drunk and can't remember what you got up to. Has it ever occurred to you that when a person is that inebriated they can't "get it up" to have sex? I doubt very much that you had sex with any one that night and I think you're wasting your time running after hiv when you should be concentrating on getting sober and treating your bi-polar illness.

And it's hardly any surprise that you feel unwell - that's what happens when you abuse your body with substances like alcohol.

You won't be allowed to use this forum to publicly wring your hands over things you should be speaking to a qualified therapist about.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2007, 11:18:26 pm »
thx. for the help.  Am step 1 in AA.  Started this week and going every day.  One part of the equation and have informed several of my relatives of my alcohol problems.  Read the first chapter of "the big book" tonight.  Planning a chapter every night and getting a sponsor.  My apologies on "spamming" the board like I did earlier.  I think I may have hit bottom.  For me all HIV/STD scares have been related to drinking far too much, typically on business trip -- trying to deal. 

Here I am now and am crossing my fingers that I skate through this 90 day window okay.  Still have nausea (could be stress), a slight cough and a runny nose.  Ann, I hope you are right -- i.e. too drunk to do anything of any sort.  Appreciate the feedback from you and Matty.  At the end you have to look at your own actions.  I need to build a support group to deal with my problem. 

As a side note, my psych and I are exploring meds on the mental side, but to date I have yet to find one that did not have a major side effect be it Zoloft, Lexapro, etc.  The other area he was thinking was Lithium.  We shall see.

Thank you for your support regardless.  Feedback is feedback however candid. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2007, 07:09:25 am »
assist,

It's good to hear you are addressing your alcohol problems. It would be a good idea for you to be under a doctor's care while you quit drinking because the physical changes you'll go through as your body detoxes may be disconcerting for you. Don't start equating them with hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2007, 04:41:15 pm »
Thank you for the response.  I guess you would say that I am under my doctor's care in that I am seeing both my Doctor and my Psych once a week.   My only worry surrounding HIV was what "might have" occurred that night.  I was completely "out of it" and in the wrong area -- and I don't know what I am capable of when I am in a "black out" state.  i.e. What I might/might not do. 

Am currently taking Risperdal at night (just to knock me out) and Lorazapram (one a day) to handle my nerves/stomach (have had very bad nausea as of late), headaches, pain under arms....all this stuff.  To net it, I am very scared.  Will continue daily AA + weekly Dr./Psych visits.  I don't know much more I can do other than try to stay busy and not think the worst.  Thank you for your support regardless.  This is not easy.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2007, 05:11:23 pm »
assist,

Staying busy is the key, so keep up the good work. I hope you find a suppportive sponsor. Keep with it, it's worth it.

By the way, reading about hiv - including this forum - doesn't count as being busy. Log off and get some exercise and you'll feel better for it.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2007, 10:02:56 pm »
I just got back from another AA.  Am having big nausea problems and now have diarrhea.  I know, don't worry, but unfortunately the situation is not a good one. All I remember is for a "fraction of time" while in Europe being at my guess a strip joint of some sort with someone asking money for sex. 3-4 days later I am ill to this day.  Now more nausea than ever.  I went to the City Clinic yesterday to get the remaining results -- they had refused to give me PEP because I was 1 to 2 days late -- I still don't understand this.  If there is chance why would you say no?  Anyway, the only result back is a non-reactive for Syphilis.  Still waiting on Herpes HSV2? and HIV via RNA (of which I will just need to do again at a later date).  Regarding the remaining STDs, they did not test.  Wanted me to wait a full 30 days from the event and then come back.  This is an all time low point in life for me.  I just took my Risperdal, want to go to sleep and hope that this nightmare ends soon.  Ann thank you.  You (as well as several forum moderators in the past) have helped me through some pretty rough periods -- alcohol being the key ingredient in my poor judgement.  I just hope I get through this okay.  Good night.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.