Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:31:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 476
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 457
Total: 457

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Yes Virginia, This is Another Results Thread . . .  (Read 7516 times)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Yes Virginia, This is Another Results Thread . . .
« on: November 08, 2006, 04:43:11 am »
. . . . but only coz I said I would post the results of last weeks tests. So let's see if we can keep this nice, shall we? ;)

As some of you may know Matty the Damned's numbers have gone to pot in an extraordinary fashion over the last few weeks. Very unfabulous. Despite my overwhelming desire to blame the Welsh, I think that HIV (and certain large doses of corticosteroids prescribed by a certain idiot immunologist) may have had something to do with it.

As is customary in these threads I shall post my previous results for the purposes of perspective.

October 2006 (or thereabouts)

CD4 Absolute: 15
CD4 %: 5
VL: greater than 500,000 (Log 4.9)

I think we can declare that to be a true blue w00t n00b l00z3rz!!!! gilt edged AIDS Victim result. Jeff Whathisname would be proud.

So I decided to restart HAART. Last week, after two weeks on the Blessed Pills That Make Life Great bloods were drawn by my Clinical Nurse Consultant and the results were delivered today. To wit:

November 2006
CD4 Absolute: 36
CD4 %: 6
VL: 13,000 (Log 4.1)

To which my response was: dubble U tee eff? Greater than 500,000 down to 13,000 corresponds to a log shift of .8?

I don't think so. But what would I know? I passed Year 10 Maths with a C grade. Which, incidentally, makes me a doctor in certain parts of Latin America and the South Pacific.

On a related note, various other tests were performed by Frau Eva, including tests for CMV, Toxo and so on. Apparently I have "cotton wool spots" or something on my left retina. I don't really know the significance of these since it was all getting rather boring and my mind wandered off while she was talking.

The Good Frau also is fretting about MAC and she wants me to do other tests which involve defeacting in three jars. Now Matty the Damned has no shame. He'll crap in just about anything on demand, just check out some of the more declasse threads around here, but these tiny little jars I've been given are just unacceptable!

They read "Product of Australia". No way baby. Anybody who knows anything about these matters will understand that quality shittin' jars are only manufactured in Germany.

Fondly,

MtD
(Who has standards) :-*

Offline Jeffreyj

Re: Yes Virginia, This is Another Results Thread . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 05:22:46 am »
MTD, You are indeed one of a kind. I don't know how you maintain your whit during your difficult time here, but much to my amazement, you always make me smile. And for that I thank you.
I really do wish you the best thorough all this hell. And major props to you for keeping that sense of humor. that I believe, will take you further than any HAART drugs ever will.
OK no more nice comments. I don't want you to rip me a new one for being a kiss-ass (or do I? Might be entertaining)

Jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline Nadine

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 05:45:08 am »
Looking good Matty...

((HUGS))

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 07:00:41 am »

All I can think of is the time me mum told me to "wish in one hand and sh*t in the other, and see which one fills up first." Absolutely of no relevance, but somehow completely appropriate. I like the way your numbers are trending.

May this thread be mercifully mundane and brief. ;)

AD

Offline RobT

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 07:20:08 am »
Matty-
Keep on that HAART. I really like how ur #s r treading.

RobT

Current meds: Truvada/Sustiva
VL: undetectable
CD4: 564
Current meds: Atripla
VL: undetectable
CD4: 630

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 07:57:57 am »
Matty,

...to be boring, factual and unwitty.  The log value of a viral load of 500K+ is 6, not 4.9.  Log value of 13,000 is 4.1.  So a 2 log drop.  This is a good result, if the numbers is correct. Viral load count for log 4.9 would be about 79-80,000.

I sincerely hope the combo thing does not come off the rails for you just now.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 08:26:44 am »
..to be boring, factual and unwitty.  The log value of a viral load of 500K+ is 6, not 4.9.  Log value of 13,000 is 4.1.  So a 2 log drop.  This is a good result, if the numbers is correct. Viral load count for log 4.9 would be about 79-80,000.

Then tell it to my doctors doll. I just go on what they tell me.

MtD
(Who is terribly confuzzled and convinced someone is lying to him)

Offline Iggy

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 08:49:32 am »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 08:03:11 pm by Iggy »

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 08:54:32 am »
Well Matty,

It looks like Hortencia was born pregnant and has had repeated illicit intercourse with some of her fellow survivors.

That's good news.

Great drop in the viral load, regardless of what the damn log read. I have never understood the log thing and never use it myself. I hear it promotes rust.

Keep it up honey.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 09:13:14 am »
Yeah, I'm tripping over myself with joy. A whole 36 CD4 cells, it's really something to roast a goat over.

More to the point, what's this confusion over my VL about and why won't anyone explain? Not my fucking doctors nor the professional know-it-alls in this place?

Eh?

MtD

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 09:55:06 am »
It could be worse Matty ole boy.......(and you have had some ups and downs)
Got to appreciate the little things....Hang in there :P :-* ;D
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 10:18:14 am »
Take heart deary, when I worked in Gastro we handed out nice glossy paint cans for the "special people" to poop in. ;D
Nice turn around for your numbers kiddo.

PS...I'm more inclined to believe someone left an all all imortant other '0'(zero) in your numeric reading.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 10:20:08 am by Lisa »
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 10:52:27 am »
Well Matty, nice to see that you have doubled!! Love it!! Keep it up...and oh..Matty...the video comes out in about a month or two! ;D
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Teresa

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 11:43:35 am »
Matty,

Glad to hear that your CD4s went up. Hope they continue on that trend.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 12:01:09 pm »

Matty,

Glad this most recent test showed improvement instead of a decline.

Thomas

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline allanq

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 12:19:16 pm »
When you start out with such a high VL and low CD4 count, it takes a while to recover. I had similar numbers, and it took 8 months before my CD4's went from 12 to 150 and my VL from 300,000 to undetectable.

A two-log decrease in your viral load in just one month is encouraging. You're doing good. Give it some time.

I also had those "cotton wool spots" in one of my eyes. The spots went away after my viral load went down.

Allan

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 12:25:52 pm »
" Log value of 13,000 is 4.1.  So a 2 log drop"

What do you think the log value will be on those 3 jars you gotta top off with some good ol Australian Outback river mud?

Thank you! Thank you!  Im here all week, 2 shows on Thursday!  Try the veal and tip your waitstaff!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 12:31:13 pm »
Tres bon!

Offline Christine

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 01:48:24 pm »
Numbers going up is better than down....

In regards to the "cotton wool spots" did that have to do with CMV? I have cmv retinitis, and I first noticed it with a fuzzy looking shadow floating around my right eye. To me it looked like I was looking out of a dirty window. An opthamology appointment can rule out any problems.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 02:39:26 pm »
Since you named 12 of the suckers earlier, do we need to come up with new names..... :)
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 03:20:43 pm »
Hello, wish I had some answers for you, but I don't. I am glad to see that your #'s are improving. Keep on taking the meds and maybe they will improve more.  Love , Cristy

Offline Eldon

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2006, 04:28:30 pm »
Hey Matty,

Looking good and headed in the right direction. Focus on YOU.

Make the BEST of each and every Day!

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2006, 04:19:45 am »
Hey Matty! I'm glad things are looking up for you.  :-*...I'm also glad you are back so now I can have what I affectionately call my Matty-fix....Great to see you again.

Hooray!!!! The bitch is back!

And I use the term bitch with much affection!!!! And as they say, well atleast around these parts, it takes a bitch to know a bitch.. ;D ;D ;D
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2006, 09:34:14 pm »
Hey babybear..

It's about time those farken cd4's got randy and started breeding!  Can we name the new ones?

xxx
Papabear

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2006, 10:14:43 am »
Hi Matty,

Been out of the loop lately, but so very glad that you are showing some progress.

Take it slow......................  'n ........................ easy.......................... .  This takes an inordinate amount of time.  Find some research, or other distraction that will keep your mind and body busy.  Little can be done by us when we are w - a - i - t - i - n - g   for the recovcery of CD4s.

I know, you want no coddling, but truth is, your body needs it now.  Sleep loads, drink loads of water, enjoy the water results, and eat all you can stomach.  Your body is now at war and you will feel it for some time.  Just hang in there, it is worth it!!!

In true Love,
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.