Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:37:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773293
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 653
Total: 653

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: superinfection  (Read 11880 times)

Offline Ray3164

superinfection
« on: August 10, 2014, 09:14:49 pm »
How screwed am I  :(. I tested positive last year. Havnt been on my meds for a few months. Feel ok though. Meet a female who is also hiv positive.  We engaged in unprotected intercourse. What are the odds that her and I now have superinfection?

The road ahead keeps getting better and better I had no idea.

We slept together a few nights back. Does this mean I should expect to see the symptoms of the window period again in 2 to 4 weeks.

Offline Ray3164

Re: superinfection
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 09:54:24 pm »
Can anyone assist with information in regards to superinfection? Will this make treatment harder or worse for me? Really regretting this incident. My parter told me it didn't work like that. She says msm do it all the time when both partners are hiv+.

Offline Ray3164

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 10:32:41 pm »
I can't believe all of this. Why does life have to keep getting worse and worse.

Offline absopozilutely

• Love to chat/text/talk/encourage!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 11:07:08 pm »
Is your partner on meds? I also think the bigger question is why aren't you on meds?!
12/18 Infected
2/4 12:22pm tested POZ via ORAquick
2/19 WB Confirmation
2/4-2/19 VL 104,678 CD4 407
3/2 Genotype back, and Started Complera
4/2-CD4 688 38% and VL 1,600
5/1-CD4 592 42% and VL 336
5/22-CD4 732 31% and VL 109 :( STILL NOT UD!
5/31 Switched to Stribild :( I'll miss you Complera!
6/19 CD4 508 35% and VL UD!!!!! Crying at work like a baby.
9/19 CD4 799 46% VL UD yayyyy
5/1/19 CD4 1100 VL still UD.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 11:16:17 pm »
Eh, superinfection. There's some information here that might be helpful to you: Click! but it's a few years old.

I always understood that superinfection was a bit overblown but I've seem some stuff recently that suggests it's under reported and considered to be a bigger issue than previously thought.

That said I still wouldn't worry too much about superinfection. If I were you I'd be more concerned about other STDs like chlamydia (very common in straights) gonorrhoea, herpes, genital warts, syphilis and so on.

Go to your local pox doctor and get a full STD screen.

MtD

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 11:23:49 pm »
"superinfection" can only happen when partners are not on successful therapy - meaning either partners are not on medication or not properly adherent. The unmedicated partner is then susceptible to becoming infected with the other partner's HIV - and any mutation/resistance they might have.

MSM HIV+ partners who tend to have unprotected sex, that is condomless sex, are actually having protected sex if both partners are properly medicated.

Abso is entirely right though in saying your biggest issue at this moment should not be bemoaning your poor choice of not staying protected by condoms; but your poor choice of stopping your medications and not protecting your own health.

Please see you doctor ASAP to discuss what medications you need now (you may have developed resistance of your own or contracted resistance from your partner) and to discuss some mental health counseling to learn how and why to remain adherent to your meds.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Ray3164

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 11:40:43 pm »
Thanks all for the quick reply's. I stopped taking my meds because I could no longer afford them. I'm in the process of getting this straightened out. The female partner was not on meds either (I cannot speak to the reasons of this). We had intercourse a few times that night. I will read up as much as I can to better prepare myself.

How common is resistance to medications nowadays. I mean there are so many options. Does this sort of thing still happen? Everyone I have spoken to tells me how manageable the virus is. Even the 20+ year people. 

Offline Ray3164

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 11:49:49 pm »
Would I expect to experience seroconversion again possibly? Or get get sick? How will I be able to tell if I get superinfection.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 11:49:59 pm »
Thanks all for the quick reply's. I stopped taking my meds because I could no longer afford them. I'm in the process of getting this straightened out. The female partner was not on meds either (I cannot speak to the reasons of this). We had intercourse a few times that night. I will read up as much as I can to better prepare myself.

How common is resistance to medications nowadays. I mean there are so many options. Does this sort of thing still happen? Everyone I have spoken to tells me how manageable the virus is. Even the 20+ year people.

I don't think resistance is that uncommon, alas. I have resistances to a number of drugs but am on combo that works even though I fuck up and miss doses quite a bit. I take Darunavir/Ritonavir/Raltegravir/Tenofovir+Emtracitabine and it's been pretty forgiving. Apparently I also have something called an X4 resistance which means I can't take Maraviroc. Something to do with co-receptors, my sexual health physician did explain it but my eyes glazed over and I tuned out.

Another thing -- I've often been told that resistant viruses are often less virulent than the wild-type virus which is susceptible to all drugs.

If I were you I'd focus on getting the no medication situation sorted out. Resistant virus or not, if you don't take medications you are fucked my friend.

And get that sexual health screen. A lot of STDs can be asymptomatic, especially in blokes.

MtD

Offline absopozilutely

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 12:37:11 am »
Ray, I'd assume that because your viral load is already high, and CD5s dropping going through seroconversion again is unlikely, I would think that would only happen if you were UD and then got hit again with a large viral load, in which case your body would react. My best advice, go see your local ASO, and get on ADAP and get your situation fixed, you're stealing time off your life. Plus, it would be wise to build up a surplus for you so this may not happen again.
12/18 Infected
2/19 WB Confirmation

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 09:33:21 am »
resistance happens from someone improperly taking their medications. If you don't keep the med levels high enough in your system, HIV can learn to circumvent the meds, mutating to become resistant.

according to the treatment cascade, there is still quite a number of people who do not remain adherent to medications and who could have resistant issues occur. As you noted though, the virus is quite manageable - however you have to remain adherent to medications for HIV to remain manageable.

seroconversion issues do not affect everyone; but as you have already become HIV+ you would not experience seroconversion again. However, if you continue without meds and end up with a very low cd4 count, you could experience IRIS (Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome) symptoms after restarting meds. (IRIS is when your immune system has been so damaged it wasn't working. when restarting meds and your immune system recovers, it can begin to fight again, making you seem to be quite sick although you will actually be becoming healthier.)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 10:29:38 am »
Ray, I'd assume that because your viral load is already high, and CD5s dropping going through seroconversion again is unlikely,
Where does Ray say that he has a "high" viral load?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline absopozilutely

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 10:43:25 am »
I read his previous posts.
12/18 Infected
2/19 WB Confirmation

Offline mecch

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 10:54:23 am »

Alright well maybe none of us should assume anything. Always better to get doctors to get to the facts. Speaking of,
Ray,
How long did you stay on Truvada, Prezista, Norvir and Isentress?
Why did you require  4 (or arguably 5) drug combo?
Did you get followup labs after you started?
Did the co-pay cards not help you afford your treatment?
Have you ever visited a ASO or some sort of service agency to figure out how to afford your treatment? The present situation is not constructive. 
Have you seen a therapist to get a grip on being more healthy and proactive?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 11:04:19 am »
Where have you been since February?
Why no posts?
Why didn't you turn for advice here about not being able to adhere?

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 11:10:30 am »
are you referring to the post prior to his start of meds?? I haven't noticed any post from Ray since Feb and he sure hasn't mentioned labs after he started meds (and subsequently quit taking meds). So we (and I imagine Ray) have no idea of his cd4 count or viral load.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Ray3164

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 02:39:04 pm »
For those of you who have read my previous post. I have come to the terms that I realistically contracted hiv from a previous encounter with a female. As for the meds, I stopped taking them after about a month due to becoming unemployed. I figured I wouldn't have access to healthcare for my hiv since the free care is only offered to those in more advanced stages. In addition, I don't have any money at the moment unfortunately. That being said, I have no clue what my numbers are at the moment. I don't feel sick, however that doesn't mean anything.

I sort of fell off the map because of depression. Also, I didn't have internet for a little while either.

I really appreciate all the input and help from all of you.

Offline mecch

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 02:50:37 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about the job loss.
Its certainly understandable to get depresses with everything you are going through.
Tell me, what country do you live in, where free care is only offered to those in advanced stages?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 02:59:52 pm »
He lives in the the states and as usual he is not making any sense . I do not think the OP has HIV so we will just keep an eye on him .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 03:00:26 pm »
For those of you who have read my previous post. I have come to the terms that I realistically contracted hiv from a previous encounter with a female.
Also, color me a bit confused by this statement.  You announced back in Feb that you were HIV+.  Why is this necessary to state again now....  Your February announcement came after long discussions in which many people wondered if indeed you are HIV+....    But then you started your meds so....

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 03:35:16 pm »
free care is only offered to those in more advanced stages.
that is totally incorrect. The AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) under the Ryan White CARE Act has been available since 1990 to ensure that HIV positive people have access to treatment. Without treatment, HIV is still a terminal disease. Without treatment, an HIV+ person can still transmit HIV. The Ryan White Act ensures that people don't die and that the rate of the epidemic stops as people will not transmit HIV. While financial eligibility and medical eligibility can be factors, assistance is offered to anyone who doesn't not make enough money (based on federal guidelines) and who is simply HIV positive needing treatment. There is no special program for just those in "more advanced stages".

California is filled with AIDS service organizations (ASOs), which you clearly need to seek assistance from immediately. They can help obtain medications, health care, and mental health care for you.
http://directory.poz.com/
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 03:39:11 pm »
I just read through all of Ray's posts and this is the first mention of any numbers:

Is there anyway to qualify for assistance with medications. I have health incurrence and a good job. But the dr. Can only prescribe name brand medications in the us. Although incurrence is covering most everything. The copay's on the name brand medications are looking costly per month. Does anyone have any other alternatives for assistance?

CD: 553
VL 54,000
12/5/13

Joe

Offline absopozilutely

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 04:11:07 pm »
He lives in the the states and as usual he is not making any sense . I do not think the OP has HIV so we will just keep an eye on him .

Well, eff me feeling bad for the Bloak then! Why would people want to be on the forums if their not poz?!
12/18 Infected
2/19 WB Confirmation

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 04:52:20 pm »
Why would people want to be on the forums if their not poz?!

For the same reason someone would put up a fake paid profile on rentboy.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 05:00:01 pm »
Details pretty please?

Offline absopozilutely

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 12:16:53 am »
For the same reason someone would put up a fake paid profile on rentboy.

Lol well, that's definitely not me. Lol. Grrr the nerve of some people, very irritating. Mecch, details from who, you didn't quote.
12/18 Infected
2/19 WB Confirmation

Offline Ray3164

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 02:06:33 pm »
Well, eff me feeling bad for the Bloak then! Why would people want to be on the forums if their not poz?!

I'm sorry if you don't want to believe me. I too in some ways wish it all weren't true (the past is the past). However, the poz forums are one of the few places a person can go for help and education.  I don't know all the technical scientific research things like some of you. Even the medications confuse me.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 02:50:05 pm »
Even the medications confuse me.
you don't really need to "understand" the meds. You need to get access to meds (through ADAP, an ASO, copay cards, patient assistance programs) and you need to take them - EVERY day! that's all there is know about the meds.

have you contacted an ASO yet?? Were you eligible for ADAP and did you start the paperwork? You better get cracking! Every day you go without meds is a dead closer to AIDS and eventually to death.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline drewm

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 02:59:08 pm »
OK...so is Ray a pozzie or a poseur?
Diagnosed in  May of 2010 with teh AIDS.

PCP Pneumonia . CD4 8 . VL 500,000

TRIUMEQ - VALTREX -  FLUOXETINE - FENOFIBRATE - PRAVASTATIN - CIALIS

Numbers consistent since 12/2010 - VL has remained undetectable and CD4 is anywhere from 275-325

Offline absopozilutely

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 07:39:47 pm »
OK...so is Ray a pozzie or a poseur?

Even based on his last post, he didn't deny not being confirmed poz, so I'm gonna say he's not.
12/18 Infected
2/19 WB Confirmation

Offline drewm

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 08:23:46 pm »
Maybe he is a psychotic chaser....   ::)

Numbers consistent since 12/2010 - VL has remained undetectable and CD4 is anywhere from 275-325

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 08:43:31 pm »
I never should have posted what I did doubting the OP . I do have pretty good instincts about this kind of thing and where I still have doubts I think the best course is to give the OP a chance .

Ray ... my apologies .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline drewm

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 09:01:04 pm »
Some of my comments are tongue in cheek but that being said, when an OP, any OP, leaves a lot of holes in the conversation, it makes the subject difficult to follow at best.

Offline zach

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2014, 03:05:34 am »
holes?! not for nothing. less than a year ago ray was posting in the am i forums. deep kissing a girl at the bar, bleeding gums, something stuck him in the foot. he tested positive! but, thats all in the past, c'est la vie. now he's worried about superinfection.

i like you ray. its been a rough year

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.