Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:05:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 171
Total: 173

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tattoo U  (Read 9387 times)

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
Tattoo U
« on: June 12, 2006, 12:10:00 am »

Just something I've been curious about. Have any of you gotten a tattoo while being positive?

I have two tattoos and I'm not even sure if I'd like to get more, but it'd be nice to have the option. Do you have to find an artist that doesn't care about your status? I remember the last tattoo I got I had to sign something saying I didn't have hiv or hep.

thanks,
brian

Offline Markmt

Re: Tattoo U
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 06:31:51 am »
I got a tattoo some 12 years ago. I also had to fill in the form and i ticked neg because i have never been tested for hiv anyway and I could have maybe been already infected. I think that Tattoo artists have strict guidlines on procedures so at the end of the day it should not really make much all that difference. Will be interesting to read other experiences of getting a tatoo while hiv pos and what the procedure was.

mark
"Live to love and love to live."

Leo Buscaglia

Offline BooBoo

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 07:54:46 am »
I got both of my tattoos while being HIV+.  I didn't disclose my status to the tattoo artist and he never asked.....no forms to fill out or anything.  All tattoo artists should be following "universal precautions" so you really shouldn't need to disclose.  I actually know someone who has a tattoo on his arm that says HIV+ so obviously there are some tattoo artists that will give you a tattoo even if they know you are POZ.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 07:56:34 am by BooBoo »

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 08:42:04 am »
I had gotten an armband tattoo on my right arm about 10 years ago that said HIV+AIDS.  I had just gotten out of a relationship controlled by drugs and didn't want to deal with disclosing so I thought I'd just tattoo it for everyone to see.  Several years later I decided to get a cover up tattoo.  I found an outstanding tattoo artist in Toledo who told me he takes the same precautions for everyone and did not require disclosure.  To play it safe he goes into every tattoo assuming the client could be HIV or Hep+  He appreciated my honesty but said he took the same precautions

Offline Sdgirl

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 09:38:08 am »
I was interested in getting a tattoo and called a very popular place here in town.  I spoke with the manager and he said "I treat everyone I tattoo as if they have the plague"  LOL

Just like doctors, they must take universal precautions.  It should not be a problem.

Lisa
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline chris_in_georgia

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 12:59:00 pm »
I have gotten 8 since testing poz. I discussed my status with the artist before hand, mostly for my own piece of mind. To him it was no biggy, but seemed to really appreciate the honestly. I do the same thing with a new denstist, oral hygenist, piercer, nurse, doc and what not. It makes ME feel more comfortable to do it. As of yet, I have never had anyone run out of the room screaming in terror.....but the day is still early.   :o

Go get a kick-ass tattoo if you want one, and disclose your status if it will make you feel better. Please post a pic here when you get it.

Good luck,
Chris
"I wear my life right on my sleeve. Where I've been has left it's mark on me."http://www.jodeemessina.com/music/index.html

Poz since '88 - in it for the long haul.

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 03:43:27 pm »

Thank you all for your suggestions. They do seem cautious enough that one wouldn't necessarily have to disclose, but I think I'd need to be upfront about that for myself. I imagine there has to be a tattoo shop in 'boys town' (the gay area in Chicago) that wouldn't care.

Next time I run into money I'll have to inquire...could be awhile.

brian

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 04:00:03 pm »
I wouldn't feel any need to disclose to a tattooist and probably wouldn't since they are to follow standard precautions with all customers.

And I am interested in a getting inked again..... just not sure what or where :(

Offline terpie82

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 09:26:41 pm »
Thanks Brian for posting this topic. I for one have always wanted to get a tattoo but was afraid with my status that I would be turned away. I'm sure there are places that still discriminates against positive folks though. If anyone was curious, I want to get a pair of large angel wings (hopefully, it will guarantee my entrance into heaven) and a growing vine on my arm with each leaf listing a hobby or the name of something/someone inspirational in my life :)
Diagnosed in 2003
UD since 2004 and >35%
Three-month treatment interruption for NIH study and back on Stribild 1/8/16

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 01:39:24 pm »
Before David died, he and I discussed getting ME a tattoo.  He had three and I wanted at least one.
Something like the Greek figure he had on his pelvis ( A winged Picarus)
but Brian I wouldn't feel the need to disclose to a Tattoo artist....  I would ask about his precautions.

Dingo...you need a dingo on your cute little bum.  Something to smack while bumping your bottom :P
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 01:43:42 pm »
I disclosed to my tatoo artist in New Orleans three and a half years ago. Got a cool fleur di lis on my shoulder... and a free tee shirt :)

it's the little things, ya know.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline travisfranklin

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 02:47:51 pm »
I was thinking about getting a Tattoo of something but not sure where or what? I tend to change my mind a lot and it has to be something I REALLY want, but I have heard that some places with not tattoo HIV+ people...So I guess it just all depends...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.