Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:07:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 461
Total: 462

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How to report someone who is telling everyone my HIV status?  (Read 44211 times)

Offline jam_borg1987

I used to be friends with this guy, and he was my best friend. As such, he was the first person I revealed my HIV status to.

Me and him had a fight some time ago, and now he is telling everyone that Im HIV positive. This is a very immature thing to do, even if you stop being friends with someone you should still keep their secrets to yourself.

I know it's illegal to reveal someone's HIV status without their consent. Right now, Im simply denying everything with everyone. Whenever someone approaches me and tells me that he told them, I just simply say, "Its not true, he's being a jerk". But, I still want him to stop, and he's not stopping.

I want to report him for this, how would I go about doing this?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: How to report someone who is telling everyone my HIV status?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 08:43:07 pm »

I know it's illegal to reveal someone's HIV status without their consent.

It's illegal for a healthcare worker to do this. As far as Joe Blow on the street you have to be joking.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 08:55:47 pm »
Hi

As uncomfy and anger-making as this is, there's no reporting this to anyone who will do anything on your behalf. Read the Friends section in this article http://www.aidsmeds.com/cn/printView.php?page=/articles/Disclosure_7570.shtml&domain=www.aidsmeds.com  for added perspective.

Instead of feeling compelled to lie to people who like and respect you enough to come and tell you, may I suggest a twist? Why not say and ask them this -- " I appreciate you being thoughtful and coming to me about this. Why do you suppose he's doing this? "  And let them think about that instead of you feeling trapped into saying it's not true when it is and that he's a jerk which they can conclude on their own.

These people may not be as likely to be as protective of you when/if they learn you lied.

I have no control over what anyone who's ever wanted to seriously date me says after I tell them the deal breaker news. I can walk away knowing they didn't have the goods in terms of intellectual curiosity and the want to consider navigation. But, I can't shut their mouths, nor the mouths of family, friends, or anyone else.

There's one other thing I might consider doing were I you. Call this guy up, meet him for coffee and have a chat about what he's doing and why. It might be revealing and there's a sliver of a chance you can get him to STFU.

Take care.
Em

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 08:59:57 pm »
Unfortunately Jam, you really don't have any real options.  There are no statutes on the books that state that your friend's behavior is criminal.

Also, the only relief you'd actually be able to pursue against him would be civil, meaning that you'd have to attempt to sue him in court for damages.

The only grounds you'd be able to attempt to bring a case would be either (a) defamation or (b) intentional infliction of emotional distress, but you don't meet the standards for either based upon what you say here.

In order to successfully win in a defamation case [which includes libel (written word) and slander (spoken)] the following elements have to be met:

(1) The person accused must make a defamatory statement - meaning they must say something that will harm your reputation.

(2) The statement must be false.  This is not the case as you ARE poz.

(3) The person must communicate the statement to other people besides yourself

(4) You must show some injury as a result of what was being said

As far as intentional infliction of emotional distress (IIED), the person's actions must be proven to be so extreme and outrageous that it causes you serious emotional harm and it must be more than a one time occurrence.

Your friend's merely telling everyone that you are poz is not sufficient to qualify as being extreme and outrageous, no matter what you think.

So, as Philicia said, you basically don't have a leg to stand on.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:02:00 pm by Solo_LTSurvivor »
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 11:10:43 pm »
Hmm, Solo has laid out the legalities very well. But I was thinking: do you reckon threatening to take him to court (even though it is an utterly futile exercise) would shut him up, if he doesn't know better ? It might scare him a little bit and get him to stop.

Just thinking aloud.

Best
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:12:50 pm by spacebarsux »
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 11:11:18 pm »
Deleted duplicate post.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline jam_borg1987

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 11:29:28 pm »
Im sorry, when I was diagnosed, my doctor told me it was illegal for ANYONE to disclose my status to anyone else without my clear consent. I have searched the New Jersey Criminal Code and found that no such law exists. My mistake on the that one lol

Offline jam_borg1987

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 11:34:44 pm »
Hmm, Solo has laid out the legalities very well. But I was thinking: do you reckon threatening to take him to court (even though it is an utterly futile exercise) would shut him up, if he doesn't know better ? It might scare him a little bit and get him to stop.

Just thinking aloud.

Best

Honestly, I think what Im going to do, now that I have researched this a little bit and found that no such law exists to prevent him from telling everyone my status, Im going to continue to deny it when people ask me about it.

The reason? Because if he stopped being friends with me, then people are going to know that he has a reason for trying to cause defamation. Because eventually, if I keep denying it, then people are going to think its just some dumb desperate attempt to cause problems.

If they dont, then oh well, it just goes to show they'll believe anything they hear, even if they have no evidence to support it

Offline forrest

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 11:41:48 pm »
Honestly, I think what Im going to do, now that I have researched this a little bit and found that no such law exists to prevent him from telling everyone my status, Im going to continue to deny it when people ask me about it.

Hmmm. You may want to think twice about that... I think Em's advice on this was really good.  I think it's a great way to combat it... just my two cents   :)

... Why not say and ask them this -- " I appreciate you being thoughtful and coming to me about this. Why do you suppose he's doing this? "  And let them think about that instead of you feeling trapped into saying it's not true when it is and that he's a jerk which they can conclude on their own.
2011-03-26:  Tested Positive

Date           |VL        |CD4 |4%  |CD8 |8%  |C4:C8
2011-04-06 |48,653 |603 |32.0 |646 |35.0 |0.61
2011-05-23 |64,324 |577 |36.0 |576 |36.0 |1.00
2011-08-02 |18,319 |574 |36.3 |587 |37.2 |0.98
2011-12-06 |10,375 |480 |30.1 |616 |38.7 |0.78
2012-02-22 |  9,674 |570 |33.6 |655 |38.7 |0.87
2012-05-04 |  8,439 |559 |30.4 |706 |38.4 |0.79

Offline Raf

• Bald by choice
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 12:18:22 am »
That's why no one outside my house know I'm poz. The only ones who know are the family that lives with me. besides that.... I don't trust anyone else.

jam, it seems there are no legal resources, you cannot claim defamation, because you are actually poz, so you have to decide: take the higher road, and take this chance to admit to everyone you are poz (assuming all the consequences), or just keep denying everything and that's it, and tell them that he's telling this just because he's mad at you. The choice is up to you.

Dx: 05/14/2008
Latest HIV Meds combo I've been taking:

Kaletra + Combivir (since 05/16/2008 - 05/09/2019)
Acriptega (05/10/2019 - today)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 08:18:57 am »
Or you can say "Yes, I am, and what's it to you? (name of blabber) is betraying my privacy in a horrible way. Think about that for a moment."
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 08:39:56 am »
Or you can say "Yes, I am, and what's it to you? (name of blabber) is betraying my privacy in a horrible way. Think about that for a moment."

Well, that's only an option if jam_borg wants, and is prepared, to corroborate his HIV status to these people. It quite apparent he's not comfortable with divulging his positivity to the world, which is perfectly understandable and is his prerogative.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 08:42:49 am by spacebarsux »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 08:50:22 am »
Yes obviously.

Just seemed like it was one of the three options.  And hadn't been mentioned yet.

1) Yes, I am, what's it to you?
2) No, I am not, ________ is an asshole...
or
3) (no answer, clever evasion)  "Wow, ________ said what? What an asshole."

The OP is choosing number 2 but I agree with others it may not be the most strategic and it is a bit soul eating to have to lie and accept the supposed "scandal" of being HIV+ when dealing with a bunch of people who shouldn't be curious in the first place!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 08:52:23 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline sshortguy1

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 11:40:51 am »
jam if i were you i would  ignore it , if you're not having any sexual activities with any of these people i would deny it , sounds to me if he or she is getting a kick out of telling others and knowing its bothering you he or she  will continue if you act like it doesn't bother you he or she will stop ,  think how people were in h/s if it doesn't bother you like it shouldn't , nothing gained or lost 

Offline Gomenasai

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 04:04:48 pm »
I think you should take him to the court and try to make him stop. He is damaging you, this is going to affect all your social network where you support yourself for friends, school, work, family, etc.

I would get a lawyer since "Google is not a University". In the USA there is always a way to demand for anything.

I think he ought to respect your privacy since the VIH status is something you cant talk so openly for the stigma and prejuices that a guy living with it, must face before the whole society.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 04:44:54 pm »

I would get a lawyer since "Google is not a University". In the USA there is always a way to demand for anything.

There are two members in this thread that have law degrees...

Offline Gomenasai

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 04:52:55 pm »
I didnt know that  ;D, but i still think that a personal meeting with a lawyer would help at least as a deterrent to stop the damage the ex-best friend is causing.

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 04:54:37 pm »
That's why no one outside my house know I'm poz.

That's why no one INCLUDING INside my house know I'm poz.

There is no more bitter sense of betrayal than when it comes from some one close. It could get even worse when you do not know where the leak comes from

Eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 05:30:56 pm »
I didnt know that  ;D, but i still think that a personal meeting with a lawyer would help at least as a deterrent to stop the damage the ex-best friend is causing.

Unfortunately only the Lawyer has something to gain in a situation like this where Hipaa laws do not apply .
We have had threads like this before and its still true you cant silence even the biggest gossup from telling the truth in situations like yours .

I'm sorry your friend is being such an ass but if you do decide to go see a lawyer do yourself a favor and find one who does the initial consultation for free , and for gods sake don't give your ex-friend the satisfaction of knowing you wasted your time on an attorney . That would add insult to injury after all he put you through .     
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:34:24 pm by jg1962 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 06:13:22 pm »
I would tell everyone indignantly that I am in fact HIV+, that my loose-lipped friend is the one who gave it to me and I suspect transmission was intentional considering his dick is the size of a needle and he lasted about as long as a vaccination.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 06:15:09 pm by GSOgymrat »

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 12:18:40 am »
deleted due to high sarcasm content
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 02:00:50 am by emeraldize »

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 01:47:07 am »
It's not illegal unless it's a lie about you having HIV. 

Just talk to him and see if he will stop.  Tell him you are hurt by what he's doing and you trusted him.  Tell him that you are sorry the friendship didn't work out but you don't want it to be so bad that you are on bad terms with each other.
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline LoboDog

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 10:17:50 am »
Hey Jam,

A third option is to simply fight the stigma and tell the truth. If someone says "____ says you are hiv+". Just respond by saying "Yes".

If the person making the inquiry asks any further questions, just respond by saying that you told your friend in confidense when you were scared shitless. You didn't expect him/her to be broadcasting it to the world.

About 15 years ago I was at a party where a person told me a about a former friend who he had been in a cat fight with (the person at the party is a bit on the flamboyant side). The cat fight deteriorated to the point of bitchy queen saying to his friend, "How is the AIDS doing now a days." I couldn't believe 3 things... One was that someone would be so cruel of a human as to say that. Second was that they would be proud of saying that and would retell the story at a party, third was that they would disclose the HIV status of someone to a complete stranger. I asked him how he could be so crass, rude and disgusting and then just walked away. I haven't spoken to him since. (Keep in mind that I was neg at the time of this party)

You let the cat out of the bag to the wrong person. The bad thing is that since the cat is out, you can't shove it back in. Tell your friends the truth. If they are truly your friends they will stick by you.

Lying is the worst thing you can do. If you start dating someone, your HIV status will have to come up at some point. How will you tell someone that you are poz if you have been telling everyone else that you are neg?

Keep in mind these are just my opinions... You have to do what you feel comfortable with. I wish you the best of luck.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 11:07:36 am »
I would tell everyone indignantly that I am in fact HIV+, that my loose-lipped friend is the one who gave it to me and I suspect transmission was intentional considering his dick is the size of a needle and he lasted about as long as a vaccination.

**LIKE**

It may be counter-intuitive, but when you're out about your poz status, people stop talking about it. It's no longer a big secret - and big secrets make juicy gossip and people absolutely LOVE juicy gossip.

I've seen this in action personally. As some of you may know, in my little town (population approximately 4,500) there are seven hiv positive people. Oops, six. One died earlier this year. He was extremely closeted about his hiv, stayed in his house after diagnosis and drank himself to death.

Out of those seven (I'll still include the recently deceased, because he's relevant to the story), three of us are out about our status and four are closeted. Nobody whispers or gossips about the three of us who are out, because it's ancient history. It's boring.

However, the four who are closeted are whispered about and wondered about by many people still to this day (eleven years after our "cluster" of diagnoses). People still come up to me on a regular basis and ask about one or more of them. I tell them "I have no idea" and leave it at that.

Well, not quite. I usually follow it up with asking them about their own hiv status - "When was the last time YOU tested anyway? Are YOU poz? Maybe you are and you just don't know it yet! Go test. Stop worrying about other people's hiv status and worry about YOUR OWN." At this point I usually walk away, leaving them with their jaw on the ground. ;D

The four people who remain closeted are miserable. They live in constant fear of someone finding out their hiv status. One of them drank himself to death - because of the fear. They repeatedly claim to be hiv negative, but that does nothing to stop the rumours. The rumours are still rife eleven years after - and the only reason people want to know is because people hate being lied to and they want to find out for sure one way or the other.

The three of us who are out about our status are happy - and no one gives a shit that we're poz. We're treated no differently to anyone else around town. In fact, I've lost count of the people who have said they admire all three of us for being honest about who we are and what we have - and educating people about hiv at the same time. We don't even have to say much about it - just by being around them in the community, we're educating people that people living with hiv are just like them.

When we hide our status, we feed into the idea that hiv is something to be ashamed about. It's not. It's just a damn virus that anyone could get through doing what nearly every adult on the planet has done at some time in their life - unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. Where's the shame in that?

The more we hide, the more we add to the stigma and discrimination. The more we hide, the more we have to hide. It's a vicious cycle that only we can stop.

edited to fix a couple annoying typos
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 02:10:55 pm by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Mrmojorisin

• My Blog
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 11:12:41 am »
Thanks Ann,
 I have been contemplating on who to tell and not tell..You have given me much to think about
Started Meds On 5/1/2012 Norvair, Truvada, Prezista, and Bactrim

4/17/2012--CD4 83/ VL 353,000  7.0%
5/15/2012--CD4 218/ VL 4,970    14.1%
6/27/2012--CD4 146/ VL 420      6.1%
10/11/2012-CD4-223/ VL-62       9.5%
2/14/2013--CD4-215/ VL-119      13.6%
7/3/2013---CD4-256/ VL-UD       18.0%
10/18/2013 CD4-223/ VL-UD       22.2%
01/23/2014-CD4-381/VL-UD       25.3%--Dropped the Bactrim
05/01/2014 CD4-370/VL-UD       23.5%
01/08/2015 CD4-455/VL-UD       28.7%
06/18/2015 CD4-422/VL-UD       31.9%
01/07/2016 CD4-275/VL-UD       31.3%
02/10/2016 Switch meds to Tivicay and Truvada
04/25/2016 CD4-426/VL-UD        34.1%
07/14/2016 CD4-414/VL-UD        38.0%

"arrrrhhhhh ahhrrhhhhh aaaarrhhh"- Chewbacca

Offline drewm

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 11:39:56 am »

YES! LIKE! LIKE! LIKE!  :o
Diagnosed in  May of 2010 with teh AIDS.

PCP Pneumonia . CD4 8 . VL 500,000

TRIUMEQ - VALTREX -  FLUOXETINE - FENOFIBRATE - PRAVASTATIN - CIALIS

Numbers consistent since 12/2010 - VL has remained undetectable and CD4 is anywhere from 275-325

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 11:45:09 am »
Thanks Ann,
 I have been contemplating on who to tell and not tell..You have given me much to think about

You're welcome, Mojo. I hope my own experience (and that of some people in my community) helps others as well.

One thing I forgot to point out (to make it clear) is that when you are open about your hiv status, nobody can use it against you.

That's one of the biggest reasons people want to know what you would rather keep secret - when it's secret, they can use it against you. If it's not secret, it loses its power. Nobody cares anymore. It turns what someone hopes will be an "OEEMGEE" moment into a "YAWN" moment.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RWR

• if You think You can’t you can’t
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 11:55:15 am »
Thanks Ann  ;D
Hiv+ 1986

Bobby

Offline geobee

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2012, 01:01:49 pm »
I was tired of having secrets / feeling shame about being poz.  I told all my friends I was poz just to get it over with.   Turns out it was no big deal to them and it helped me to get it out in the open.

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2012, 01:55:40 pm »
I've only told one friend and he is poz too.  I had another acquaintance that was poz, but I never told him.  Other than that the people at my doctors office and HIV discussion group know.
Pray God you can cope

Offline Pilot

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2012, 08:46:16 pm »
Only four people other than my doc know I am poz.  I do not hide it, reveal it, or deal in gossip about anyone that I know is poz.

I may be old school when it comes to people like this who are so dumb as to spread this type of information around to hurt someone. True or not.

I would attempt to reason with them and explain that they will gain nothing by their behavior and it could be detrimental to their well being. I would explain that I have a whole bunch of unopened cans of whip your a.....s

I have never had to open a can myself.. just letting them know I will does the trick.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2012, 08:49:46 pm »

I would attempt to reason with them and explain that they will gain nothing by their behavior and it could be detrimental to their well being. I would explain that I have a whole bunch of unopened cans of whip your a.....s

I have never had to open a can myself.. just letting them know I will does the trick.

"LIKE"
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 10:45:21 am »
It may be counter-intuitive, but when you're out about your poz status, people stop talking about it. It's no longer a big secret - and big secrets make juicy gossip and people absolutely LOVE juicy gossip.

Ann's advice is spot on.  The more you try to hide it, and the bigger deal you make out of it, it becomes a bigger deal for others -- especially who loves drama and gossip (oddly, I just posted the same thing in another thread).

I like GSOgymrat's approach!

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 12:02:32 pm »
Disclosing  your status is a personal thing.  There is no wrong answer.  Do what you need to do.  I don't feel that it's anyone's business if I'm not having sex with them.  People don't go around telling other people about their illnesses or diseases.  If people find out, so be it.  If you do tell select people make sure you know their character first.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:04:43 pm by LiveWithIt »
Pray God you can cope

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 12:14:51 pm »
People don't go around telling other people about their illnesses or diseases. 

wrong, with any other illness like cancer of course they tell other people.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 12:28:46 pm »
wrong, with any other illness like cancer of course they tell other people.

So true ... here in the south a simple question of how are you today leads to a 20 minute conversation ranging from hemorrhoids to gallbladders and points beyond .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Gomenasai

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2012, 05:45:39 pm »
Unfortunately only the Lawyer has something to gain in a situation like this where Hipaa laws do not apply .
We have had threads like this before and its still true you cant silence even the biggest gossup from telling the truth in situations like yours .

I am not a lawyer, but i think about those "Hate crimes", it may work if the focus is in that direction(that´s how i see it). You(We/ The OP) are part of a highly vulnerable and rejected minority.

By exposing somebody´s/your own HIV status you can be in danger with many "Social cleaners" groups. We have a lot of them in Colombia and may be in the rest of the world they are not "groups", but there are surely individuals.

My position about the HIV Status is "Some things are better left unsaid"(Justin Timberlake´s Cry me a river), i dont hide that i am gay, but i am not so open about it. It is good to be visible, but in the right situation. This happens too with the HIV.

Here in Colombia, the HIV people is highly protected, we are almost VIP citizens in a country where the there are no laws. You win almost every case related to your rights, when the vulnerated person says it is HIV positive.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 05:47:18 pm by Gomenasai »

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2012, 05:51:14 pm »

Here in Colombia, the HIV people is highly protected, we are almost VIP citizens in a country where the there are no laws. You win almost every case related to your rights, when the vulnerated person says it is HIV positive.

This is so nice to read -- thank you for posting it ! Hurray Colombia.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2012, 06:15:55 pm »
I agree with EM , Hurray Colombia . All we have to go on here is what the OP shared and its sounds like he is dealing with a hateful person and not a hate crime .

I don't think anybody here is arguing that outing someone for their HIV status isn't a despicable act but from what we know about this case it wasn't a crime .

My point in responding to the OP was that sometime walking away from a painful experience with dignity is our only good option .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2012, 06:24:35 pm »
I would remind the people telling you this that they probably shouldn't trust a person who would betray a friend in this manner.  Perhaps it'll backfire and he'll have a lot less friends.

I love when people reveal to me things about others when they shouldn't.  It allows me to know their true character and never reveal anything to them or trust them.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Dan0

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2013, 12:19:19 pm »
**LIKE**

I've seen this in action personally. As some of you may know, in my little town (population approximately 4,500) there are seven hiv positive people.

The more we hide, the more we add to the stigma and discrimination. The more we hide, the more we have to hide. It's a vicious cycle that only we can stop.

edited to fix a couple annoying typos

What a spot-on post!  Coming from a similar location with similar 'counts', it is very true.  I never really had to worry about it because....well...apparently I'm unremarkable. The others, however, followed the same path.  Those that were out with their status ceased to be the topic of conversation and the small community quickly realized that their status wasn't the most significant or interesting thing about them. Their status (perceived or known) no longer defined them but most importantly, didn't imprison them, either.   The ones who were closeted?  Well, they were fodder at every bar conversation in the county - and from what I gather still are! 
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline Since2005

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2013, 12:42:47 pm »
After reading this, I just realized that this is a year old thread!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.