Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:58:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 608
Total: 608

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Chain Store Pharmacy  (Read 3839 times)

Offline Oceanbeach

Chain Store Pharmacy
« on: January 02, 2008, 08:32:26 pm »
A couple of months ago, the little independent pharmacy in Forestville closed it's doors due to complications of Medicare Part D billing.  However the same family also owned an independent pharmacy in Guerneville.  The Forestville pharmacy was sold to the SAFEWAY chain and Guerneville remains independent.

I moved my prescription coverage to the Safeway store in Sebastopol because Cindy, the best Pharmacy Tech in Sonoma County on HIV meds accepted a position there.

This afternoon, I went to pick up my Trizivir and Sustiva at Safeway.  For the first time in over 11 years of taking HIV meds, the clerk rang up a charge.  I have never had a share of cost in the entire time of living with HIV.  It was only $6.20 for what I believe to be around $2000.00, Cindy was not there and the clerk pissed me off.  They pushed the blame on ADAP not doing their jobs.

I suggested they call Kathleen Russell, Chief of ADAP, California in Sacramento because I was not willing to pay anything.  Ms. Russell and I know each other from being on the Sonoma County Commission on AIDS and sat together for two years.

I was asked to wait a half an hour for the clerk to get the OK from ADAP on the share of cost payment.  I offered an unfavorable press release to at least 1 daily newspaper in Sonoma, Marin, Napa, Mendocino and Lake Counties because after all my volunteer work on the RWCA reauthorization, there is a staff writer in each paper who will print anything I write.  Lets put the $6.20 on this Visa card so I will have an acceptable proof of purchase and give the press something to work with.

The Pharmacy Clerk is a sweet young lady who got permission from the Pharmacist to let the $6.20 slide until they caught up with their paperwork.  She gave me my card and my meds and suggested if there was a refusal to pay, they know where to contact me.

I would enjoy that because I still wish to write the press release because SAFEWAY Inc., was so concerned over the $6.20, that they were willing to let an AIDS patient do without his medications.

I got home, called the Nurse at the Center for HIV Prevention and Care to request we change pharmacy and it was just too late in the day to call Kathleen but, she will be in her office in the morning.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Oceanbeach

Re: Chain Store Pharmacy
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 08:59:45 pm »
Ladies and Gentlemen,

That didn't take long at all.  I just got a return call from our Nurse and I am now a client at a small family owned, HIV savvy pharmacy in Santa Rosa.  And I thought he would have gone home already but no... Our new Nurse lives with HIV too and he really goes the extra distance for the patients.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 07:44:14 am »
Michael, I'm glad you got that mess straightened out.  I wish here in Hoosierville (Indiana) we had the services you do there with people being the go-between for you.  Our ASO is threatening to close down at the end of this year if the money situation doesn't improve.  I can't imagine they'll do this though; they cried wolf before and the donations rolled in.  We'll see.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 07:59:10 am »
I tried to look up ASO and services in our state and the only ASO they have listed is "Administrative Service Organization".  There is a link from our DHHR for AIDS services but all it does is tell what the state is doing in way of educational "programs" and no real services.  We were needing help finding a supplier for a medication that the pharmacy was having trouble finding.  No help to be found. :-\

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 09:50:19 am »
Okay Michael  ;D You really made my day with your thread. Thanks!  ;D

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 02:27:31 pm »
I tried to look up ASO and services in our state and the only ASO they have listed is "Administrative Service Organization".  There is a link from our DHHR for AIDS services but all it does is tell what the state is doing in way of educational "programs" and no real services.  We were needing help finding a supplier for a medication that the pharmacy was having trouble finding.  No help to be found. :-\

Mum

Hi Mum,

On the front page of this site, there is an ASO Finder link.  Put in your ZIP code and the world is at your fingertips.  Give Mini a hug for me  ;D and... Have the best day
Michael

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 02:40:55 pm »
Hey Michael,

We have a couple of programs here, both ADAP and MIP, that allow HI-Fivers to get their meds without co-pay - if they qualify. If they are like me and have private insurance, they pay whatever the copays are for that insurance company.

I pay $130 a month for my meds. While I understand your constirnation, I also think $6.20 is pretty cheap.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 02:47:27 pm »
Michael, I'm glad you got that mess straightened out.  I wish here in Hoosierville (Indiana) we had the services you do there with people being the go-between for you.  Our ASO is threatening to close down at the end of this year if the money situation doesn't improve.  I can't imagine they'll do this though; they cried wolf before and the donations rolled in.  We'll see.

Hey Betty,

I spent 3 months on the Funding Allocation Working Group last year, we lost our Title I funding and are losing programs which many are dependent upon.  Our ASO is non-profit and can do fund raising activities but we lost our Alternative Medicine program and AIDS Emergency fund has taken a huge loss in the first year but... our ASO still has the doors open to help.  In March, there will be another cut to the budget.  Next year, our Title I funding will be like Scarlet O'Hara and Gone With The Wind.

I don't actually use RWCA funded programs but if you take $1.7 million out of the budget, everyone will lose.  I got a call from the Admin Assistant for the Sonoma County Commission on AIDS this morning.  I reminded the lovely lady, I had put the tools in the hands of the Commission, they dropped the ball and lost their money but, they still have their paychecks.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Have the best day
Michael

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 03:02:44 pm »
Hey Michael,

We have a couple of programs here, both ADAP and MIP, that allow HI-Fivers to get their meds without co-pay - if they qualify. If they are like me and have private insurance, they pay whatever the copays are for that insurance company.

I pay $130 a month for my meds. While I understand your constirnation, I also think $6.20 is pretty cheap.

HUGS,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

It isn't the money, it is the idea a chain store as large as SAFEWAY will refuse medications to any person on disability over chump change.  If I had private insurance, I would happily pay my share of cost because it is a bargain for what we receive.

Within 3 months after moving here to Sonoma County, I was on the Commission and every subcommittee they have.  I disclosed my status to the press and built relationships with the reporters.  ADAP will pay the $6.20, they always do.  I feel that I deserve picking up my meds without problems or issues because... My intent as a volunteer to get the job done but... was never to allow myself to be put on public display for the benefit of paid county employees.  ;D Have the best day
Michael

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 05:42:32 pm »
You're my hero.  :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 07:19:49 am »
I agree with you Michael.  It sounds like something Wal-Mart would do.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.