Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:49:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772948
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 479
Total: 479

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: needle stick  (Read 7498 times)

Offline scared1982

needle stick
« on: October 07, 2009, 11:59:57 am »
I live in a bad area in LA and was stuck by a needle about 12 weeks back I wanted to know what the risk was if the needle was recently used? I did test at the 84th day with a oraquick advanced test would a negative result be conclusive at 84 days exactly? am I in the clear or do I have to Test out to 6 months just to be sure I was not infected. 

Offline scared1982

Re: needle stick
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 01:50:11 pm »
Hey any info guys on a needle stick risk? and a 84 day negative am I safe?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 01:52:25 pm »
Yes, you are in the clear. As long as the test was 12-13 weeks past the possible exposure then you can consider your negative result to be reliable. From what you have written it's not even clear that you had a genuine risk exposure, but that's irrelevant now with your negative result.

No further testing is necessary.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline scared1982

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 02:49:48 pm »
hey does it matter that i took it on the 84th day exactly ? the testing center told me to come back at 6 months is it the type of test used is the orquick test good on the 84th day im sorry if this sounds dumb i dont know how this stuff works

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 03:56:56 pm »
No. It's still a valid result. And you don't need to re-test in 6 months. That's just a way for the lab to make some more money.

You're HIV negative. Period. End of story.
Andy Velez

Offline scared1982

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 10:30:45 am »
ok I have another question when I took the test the lady gave me an orasure test I had to leave the swab in my mouth for 2 min and she said come back in 2 weeks for the results when I told her how scared I was she gave me another test right after it was an oraquick adavanced oral test and I got the results in like 20 mins and it was negative now I kinda nervous about the first test being a diffrent result is the possible? also can a person be negative on an elisa and positive on a western blot im asking because i read that the wb test is more sensetive should i take that one?

Offline scared1982

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 10:33:59 am »
Should i even go back for that 2 week test result or will that 20 min test be the same thing can i be fine with that one

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 11:12:06 am »
I don't see any need for re-testing. You're HIV negative.
Andy Velez

Offline scared1982

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 11:54:09 am »
thx for your time andy... but I was not asking if I had to test again I was worried the one test was more accurate that the other the 20 min test was just a quick swab of my gums while the other I had to leave it in for a while than it gets sent to a lab  and 2 i get the results in 2 weeks so my consern was could the 20 min test be negative and the orasure lab test turn poz because its more accurate than the 20 min test I sorry if this sound wierd but I took them right at the same time at the same place is there a need to go back and pick up the results of  the 2 week test or is the result going to be the same as the 20 min test plz answer this in detail i want to be as clear as possible on how this kind of thing works thank you..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 01:23:04 pm »
No, I would not expect your test result to change.  You're HIV negative. The ONLY reason to go back to pick up the test result is if your worry is going to nag at you. You have to decide about that. I have no doubt you will just collect another negative result.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline scared1982

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 12:39:41 pm »
hey thx for all the info andy... I have one more concern the test I took was called oralquick advanced hiv 1-2 it was a mouth swab whould chewing gum right before the test effect the result? again im sorry im just curious thx again

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 01:44:24 pm »
Scared,

No, chewing gum, or eating anything or drinking anything before the swab test won't make the slightest difference.

You ARE hiv negative. You do NOT have hiv!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scared1982

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 06:19:29 pm »
Hey guys I have a new concern I didn't want to start a new thread so Ill ask on this one I went to a local clinic to test recently the guy doing the test was really rude... angry and not very helpful I wanted is it possible to get infected by a heathcare worker while taking a finger prick test. like with a lancet or him some how getting blood on my fingerprick cut? I know it sounds weird but this guy was just evil ..... plz I'm serious has there ever been cases when people where infected on purpose by evil people

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 07:35:18 pm »
Scared, we're not here to indulge you in whatever "what ifs" you come up with. The fact is you have no cause to be concerned about HIV at this point (that's good!) and your latest self-scare scenario is frankly, ridiculous.

Stop with this self-indulgence and get on with your life is what I say.

Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.