Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:34:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 371
Total: 371

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: healthcare worker  (Read 10768 times)

Offline lord2004

healthcare worker
« on: January 17, 2008, 06:09:52 pm »
hi,

i am a health care worker @ a local hospital. I'm really concerned about this needle prick accident i had 3 months ago ( 13 weeks ago ). needle was 23 gauge hallow bore, part of a vacutainer system. Pt. was Hep B, which i am immuned for and hospital has done the surface testing and i'm ok for HBV. My major concern is Hiv although i have tested negative 13 weeks later. I have no symptoms and i was not given any PEP from the hospital , since they thought it was a slim to none risk. My question is if the 13 week testing for my situation is enough??......oh yeah the guy whose needle i was stuck with is negative according to him. He hasn't taken the HIV test since the incident although he said he would. so am i ok @ 13 week's test result or should i wait another 3 months........thnx :-\ there was no visible blood in or on  the needle and when i was stuck with it my finger did bleed.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: healthcare worker
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 06:11:51 pm »
Your 13 week test is conclusive. You are HIV negative.

Some workplaces have 6 month testing policies for these sorts of incidents, but such policies are about insurance/legal stuff. They have no basis in HIV science.

Clinically speaking you do not need to test for HIV any further.

Be well,

MtD

Offline lord2004

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 06:14:53 pm »
hey ,

that was extremly fast. You guys are doing a great job. i really appreciate it. so no worries for me then right although i don't even know the guy's HIV status.

thnx

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 06:16:17 pm »
You don't need to know the patient's sero-status.

The only thing that matters is that you were tested at the appropriate time (ie 13 weeks post incident) and that test result was negative.

You don't have HIV.

Take care,

MtD

Offline lord2004

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 06:18:56 pm »
thnx much for ur help. I feel much better after getting the answer from u

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 06:22:06 pm »
Not at all. I'm glad you've found our exchange helpful.

Be well,

MtD

Offline lord2004

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 11:56:06 am »
my 13 week test is conclusive( atleast that what i thought ), but why do the doctors & nurses in the hospital keep asking me to test again at 6 months. Do i still have to worry for another 3 months. it was a needle stick injury, would it take more than 13 weeks to show up??

thnx

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 12:02:13 pm »
Lord,

As I noted earlier, there are probably legal and insurance reasons why they insist that you test at 6 months. Have you sought the advice of your Union delegate?

Nevertheless, if you tested HIV negative at 13 weeks, then you don't have HIV. I know this is hard to believe when you have your colleagues saying otherwise, but really it's true. I have no reason to lie to you about this.

MtD

Offline lord2004

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 12:26:15 pm »
matty,

Its so kind of u to answer back so fast. I was just wondering if needle stick injuries took longer time than sexual encounters as far as HIV goes??? don't have a union in this hospital, we are a catholic hospital. i know u have no reason to lie to me and i appreciate u getting back to me.

thnx for all of ur help again

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 12:43:36 pm »
No mate, there is no difference between needle stick exposure and sexual exposure in terms of seroconversion.

If your 13 week test is negative then you don't have HIV. I'm really pleased for you here. Congratulations on a good outcome.

Best regards,

MtD

Offline lord2004

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 12:51:25 pm »
hey matt,

u r a gr8 guy. thnx soooo much.

God bless u

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 12:53:20 pm »
Not a problem doll. I'm glad we've been able to help you.

Be well,

MtD

Offline lord2004

worried again!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 07:38:21 am »
hey guys,

sorry to bother u again, last night i had this awful experience, itched all over my body, especially neck, chest and abdominal area. now i have these red spots and itchy sensation on my neck chest and abdomen......is this any way related. upper back feels itchy too. i'm at work now and my neck is itching again :'(

Offline lord2004

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 07:46:06 am »
ooh yeah i forgot to mention my arms were itchy too and after i lscratched and left them alone for a while, they fon't itch anymore but there are red spots on both of them after 6 or 7 hours now and i'm a pretty tanned skin guy......

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 07:50:26 am »
l,

You have tested conclusively hiv negative. Your rash has nothing to do with hiv. You do not have hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline lord2004

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 08:09:59 am »
thnx ann for ur prompt reply. i was wondering for my general info, that if this rash that  i have was to be hiv related would it itch this much , intiallt atleast?
or itch at all?? ???
thnx again

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 08:14:22 am »
Honey,

Don't do this. Don't do the whole panicky symptoms thing. Don't start questioning your conclusive negative HIV result. It never ends well.

If you're having problems coping with what's happened you should arrange from face-to-face counseling for yourself. You're a health care worker, you should know this stuff. We're not able to provide you with the kind of support you need.

Now go and do yourself a favour. Get some professional help.

MtD

Offline lord2004

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 08:15:57 am »
thnx matty.....sorry......got really scared after last night :-\

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 08:29:01 am »
l,

The rash sometimes associated with hiv seroconversion does NOT itch. Whatever is causing your rash, it is NOT hiv. You are hiv negative. End of story.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ypmemories

need help??
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 08:54:41 am »
i have been seeing this girl for last 5 months. had sex many times with her. always used condoms. in october i did her in the butt with a condom on, but when i was finished and pulled out, the condom had slipped off and it was still in her. 80 days later i tested negative for hiv ( that was in january of this year ). do i have to be worried about this incident? condom did not break as long as i was in her. my cum was still inside the condom. but the condom was not on my penis when i pulled out. :-\

Offline ypmemories

Re: need help??
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 09:23:57 am »
can someone help me plzzz :-\

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 09:24:54 am »
Nope. You don't have to be worried about HIV because of this incident. Even though you took this girl up the shit-chute it makes no difference. The intercourse was protected and so were you.

And her.

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and follow the links to our Lessons to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted.

MtD

Offline ypmemories

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 09:31:37 am »
thnx mtd.  ;D

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 09:54:07 am »
You are well and truly HIV negative. The condom protected you throughout. And testing negative at 80 days simply confirmed your HIV negative status.

Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 03:23:23 am »
yp,

Can I ask why you are using different usernames while posting to our forums? Thus far, you have also used lord2004. I approved the new account and gave you the benefit of doubt because you are posting from your place of work and could have been another person. I can see plainly from your writing style that you are indeed one and the same.

Please realize that this kind of activity is disrespectful of other forum members, as well as our moderators. People spend a considerable amount of time helping others in these forums. Using multiple accounts is at the very least annoying, if not deceiving and disrespectful of others. It is also against our Terms of Membership which you agreed to when you became a member. This information is also contained within the Welcome Thread, which you should have read by now. So really, you have no excuse.

You must realize that the answers won't change, no matter how many names you post under.

I would appreciate a reply to this message, and I hope you will commit to using just one account - preferably your original one. If not, you will be banned from further access to the forums.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline lord2004

for ann
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 07:34:57 pm »
hey ann,

indeed the other name ypmemories was from the same place i work and its my coworker that has made that account. i was the one who told him about this forum and we both asked the question. is that ok?? :'(........as far as the writing style goes i typed it for him, since we were talking 'bout his concern with this gal. no disrespect to u or the other mods.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 04:22:30 am »
Pull the other one, mate, it's got bells on.

I've merged your threads and disabled your second account.

Stick to one account or be banned. It's as simple as that.

Ann
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 06:51:12 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline lord2004

quick question
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 06:12:50 pm »
hey guys,

I'm back with another situation. what if u don't insert and just rub Ur penis on girl's wet vagina for a long time. lets say 15 mins...and yes that's of course without a condom

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008, 06:14:08 pm »
No insertion == no risk. HIV is transmitted inside the body.

And stop with the what-ifs and hypotheticals. We don't do that here.

MtD

Offline lord2004

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 06:25:16 pm »
sorry matty,

didn't mean to get u upset. sorry for asking the question starting with " what if "........next time i will just ask.......

thanks for ur quick response.... u guys r great

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.