Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:27:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 220
Total: 222

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: electric clippers at haircut  (Read 20081 times)

Offline gmandgman

electric clippers at haircut
« on: July 10, 2006, 07:57:26 pm »
I first want to apologize for signing on with a new screen name, it has been over a year since I was on this site and I forgot my username.

Last Monday I was going to get a haircut, while I was waiting for the guy to cut my hair there was a customer in the chair. He used a pair of electric clippers on him.When he was done he put the clippers in a drawer and closed it. Then  it was my turn, It was about 5 mintues before he used the clippers on me and he did not clean them or spray anything on them. It really did not bother me until he was done and when I got to my car I was checking the back of my neck for any cuts or scrapes and I did not feel or see any blood. I am nervous about this because my wife and I would like another baby.  Is this anything to worry about?

David

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: electric clippers at haircut
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 08:08:32 pm »
gman,

We all had to create new accounts when the forums upgraded it's software a month or so back. So don't sweat it.

Let me assure you that there is absolutely no risk of HIV transmission from electric hairclippers.None at all. Zero, zip, zilch, nada.

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread which contains links to our transmission lessons.

I repeat, this is not an HIV situation.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 08:33:34 pm »
David, you have a case of the what ifs.

There's never been a case of tonsorial transmission and you aren't going to become the first. Nicks, cuts, scrapes and such in the barber shop -- that's not how HIV is transmitted.

Your time would be better spent reading the lesson on transmission, a link to which you can find in the first thread in this section. This is not an HIV situation. Do yourself a favor and become educated about the real risks. This wasn't one of them.
The lesson on testing also has a laundry list of things to NOT  worry about.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline gmandgman

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 08:47:38 pm »
Thank you for responding to my question. Your right about the what if's, its a terrible feeling when you can't control your feelings. I went as far as taking a napkin and rubbing it all over my head and neck to see if there was any blood.

What about the next time,is there anything I can do to prevent this for the next time?

David

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 08:49:21 pm »
If you have that much fear of getting your hair cut, don't cut your hair.

Offline gmandgman

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 09:00:40 pm »
I don't have fear of getting a haircut, it was the fear of the clippers that were not cleaned.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 09:07:16 pm »
Like they have all told you. You did not have a risk.

Offline gmandgman

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 09:12:56 am »
I would just like to ask one more question in regards to this situation. I read Andy's post in regards to razor transmission in where the person was using a straight razor and the risk was theoretical

In regards to my situation, is there a difference between the two, razor vs electric clippers.

Last night was the first night that I slept and I woke up not feeling to good. Sore throat, I know that you cannot equate symptoms or no symptoms with HIV.

David

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 09:19:12 am »
gman,

The main difference I can think of between a straight razor and electric clippers is that you don't get cut from electric clippers.

You did NOT have a risk of hiv infection at the barbers - unless you were having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse while you were there. Brings a whole new meaning to "short back and sides", eh?

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline gmandgman

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 09:25:34 am »
I shave with an electric razor and I have nicked myself from that.

I think that I am just scared in relations to this event. My wife and I would like to have another baby.

She knows about the haircut and she thinks that I am crazy. I am sorry if I am bothering anyone with this, but please understand my situation.

David

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 10:00:52 am »
gman,

The only person you are "bothering" with this is yourself... and possibly your wife.

You did not have a risk for hiv infection in what you bring to us. Thankfully, hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is primarily successfully transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. Once hiv finds itself OUTSIDE the human body, it quickly becomes damaged and unable to latch onto the cells it needs to in order to infect a new host. These cells are not found on the surface of your skin.

Good luck with the baby attempts. You have no worries about hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline gmandgman

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 10:06:33 am »
Thank you so much for all of your help.

I went over everything that happened at the barber and I did not miss anything. There is nothing to add so thanks to all of you I can move on

David

Offline clarke

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 11:33:46 am »
Hey, the worst thing you might get from "uncleaned" clippers are head lice or maybe skin irritation.  You should ask the person who cuts your hair to clean the clippers.  After all, it is your $$$ and they will understand.  IF he doesn't, go to another barber or cut your own hair.  I do once in awhile, and use the 1/2" attachment, and my wife does the back.

Offline gmandgman

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 07:29:28 pm »
The only thing I would want to ask, would be what if the customer before me got nicked and then he used the clippers on me, I did not feel any cuts or see any blood

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 07:35:40 pm »
NO, a nick won't be cause for HIV infection. You can keep asking the same question over and over again and you'll still get the same answers. NO RISK>>>

Offline gmandgman

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 08:58:26 am »
I have come to the conclusive that I need to talk to someone about my fear. I thought I could put it out of my mind, but I keep searching the internet and I keep reading other sites about this incident.

For whatever reason, I feel like I would be the first person to acquire this from a haircut. It does not make sense, but I feel like that. 

I keep going over and over the incident in my head and I know that I did not feel any type of nick or cut but this is bothering me. I read that the CDC has cases in which they do not know the way the disease got transmitted and that confused me even further.

David

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 12:41:38 pm »
Gmandgman,

If you were nicked by those clippers you would definitely noticed it...... it really hurts.  An experienced barber does not often cut people with electric clippers.  They find that their customers are not fond of the beesting feeling it imparts. That said even if you were nicked, and the guy before you was too, you still had no risk. 

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline gmandgman

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 05:43:38 pm »
One thought though,

The guy used the electric clippers to clean the hair off my neck, I know my neck was a little red but I did not see or feel any blood. Any change in this regarding HIV

David

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 06:47:47 pm »
You can keep asking the same question over and over again and you'll still get the same answers. NO RISK>>>

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 06:59:28 pm »
I can see no further benefit to continuing this remarkably circular conversation.

You do not get HIV from a haircut. Period.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 09:11:15 pm »
Gmandgman,

No.  Are you reading the replies in this thread??

Stop obsessing and go have some fun..... just stay out of barber shops (and off the internet).

Morgan  ;)
Morgan Landers

Offline gmandgman

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2006, 05:29:24 pm »
Just a quick thanks to all.

I woke up this morning and I realized that this is all in my head. This is my last post regarding this subject and I want to thank everyone for there words of wisdom and great advice.

I am moving on.

SO LONG

David

Offline gmandgman

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2006, 05:33:46 pm »
Please remove my password so that I cannot ask any more questions also

David

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 01:39:31 pm »
One thought though,

The guy used the electric clippers to clean the hair off my neck, I know my neck was a little red but I did not see or feel any blood. Any change in this regarding HIV

David

David-

Although you can't get HIV from a haircut using contaminated clippers, you CAN get LICE...  but that's an entirely different ailment forum, alltogether.  :)  Check out www.licemeds.com

-joseph

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.