Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:58:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37645
  • Latest: ravsam
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773226
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 239
Total: 239

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: is it possible for HIV meds to increase BAC? I got charged with a DUI  (Read 5531 times)

Offline scottieman

I recently got stopped for DUI, and although the BAC blood tests aren't back yet, I am wondering if HIV meds (I take Stribild) could increase the BAC level more than normal?
August 19, 2011 Negative Oral Swap
August 30-September 4, 2011 (Thought Strep throat really sero-conversion)
October 5th, HIV Diagnosis
October 22 labs, CD4 619, VL 21,000 21%
November 13th, Started Complera
January 9th, Labs CD4 631, VL-UD 28%
March 28th Labs CD4 610, VL-UD 31%
July 2nd CD4 792, 34% VL-75
August 7th, 2012 CD4 899, 35% VL-97
September 17th, 2012 CD4 989, 33% VL-27
November 8, 2012  CD4 850, VL-UD, 39%
December 6, 2012 CD4 849, VL-UD, 39%
April 2, 2013 CD4 904, VL-UD, 33%
July 17, 2013 CD4 988, VL UD, 38.2%

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: is it possible for HIV meds to increase BAC? I got charged with a DUI
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 11:25:41 pm »
I wouldn't think it would matter from a legal standpoint . Im curious to know why you are asking this ... are you thinking about challenging the validity of your arrest ? 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline scottieman

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 11:33:59 pm »
Jeff, was just looking for information.  Don't care if it would or wouldn't matter from a legal standpoint, and have no idea if I would challenge the arrest, not is it any of your business.  The only question I had was is it possible for ARV's to raise BAC, which you offered no insight into.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 11:36:11 pm »
Jeff, was just looking for information.  Don't care if it would or wouldn't matter from a legal standpoint, and have no idea if I would challenge the arrest, not is it any of your business.  The only question I had was is it possible for ARV's to raise BAC, which you offered no insight into.

Are you drunk now because your acting kind of pissy for no reason .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 11:40:22 pm »

I was going to suggest that you google HIV and legal isssues to see if there was any precedent to challenge a DUI thusly, wvwn though there's not scientific validity that I know of.

Perhaps that a cursury look at the medication list does not contraindicate alcohol, therefore suggesting that they do not. If they did, there would be a fairly serious warning on the label as this could lead to alcohol poisoning.

Also, not sure if you understood that Jeff was trying to help and not judge. Perhaps a little less defensiveness will provide a better experience in the forums.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 05:56:11 am »
I have a feeling that the onus would still be on you. If you're on meds (any meds), it's your responsibility to know if they're going to help a small amount of alcohol put you over the legal drink-driving limit.

I know it's probably not the answer you want, but knowing what I know about drink-driving laws, if you were over the limit - whatever the reason - you're probably screwed.

For example, I know of a similar case, although the prescription drug involved wasn't an hiv med (it was an anti-inflammatory that didn't actually carry a "don't drink on this med" warning, and she'd only recently started taking it).

The woman tried to fight it, but the judge told her she had no business drinking on any med she was unfamiliar with and driving.

It may behove you to look into this matter further, preferably with an hiv pharmacologist or your regular pharmacist - for future reference.

Any meds that are processed through the liver would have the possibility of causing your liver to process alcohol more slowly, which could in theory help put you over the legal alcohol limit more quickly and with a smaller amount of alcohol.

I've got my fingers crossed for you that this episode doesn't end badly for you. Good luck!

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 08:24:43 am »
The reason I asked the question I did was because I got a DUI once and prescription drugs were a part of it .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline scottieman

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 08:33:29 am »
Ann, as always thank you for your well thought out response.  I was curious to know the answer to this, to have a better understanding should the BAC come back higher than I anticipate.  As I've found out with my HIV diagnosis, knowledge is power.  I agree that regardless the impact on the BAC, it would be my responsibility to have understood that impact in advance.

Offline Larsen

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 03:22:08 pm »
If your hæmatocrit levels are a little on the low side – even at the lower end of the 'normal' range - which isn't at all unusual for many of us living with HIV, that can theoretically invalidate the assumptions used in the calculations done by SOME breathalysers and therefore lead to an incorrectly high BAC reading.

If that is the case, the standard blood test will clear that up.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 03:24:14 pm by Larsen »
In a far better p[lace than this minging shithole

Offline Larsen

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 03:43:29 pm »
Here is the explanation of the hæmatocrit problem: The Effect of Anemia on Breath Tests
In a far better p[lace than this minging shithole

Offline scottieman

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 04:18:59 pm »
Thank you!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.