Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:33:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 194
Total: 194

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Worst move of my life  (Read 29205 times)

Offline chotu

Re: Worst move of my life
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2006, 01:55:38 am »
Hi All,

Im really going nuts now...I cant sleep and its cause that I have swollen nodes everywhere (neck, armpits, groin).  I see that this and a fever are the main symptoms that occur with HIV infection.  It was exactly a week after my unprotected vaginal sex incident that they became swollen.  Thus far, I havent had any other symptoms as of yet but I feel flushed in my head and sometimes my legs become very tired.

Andy, you said that the symptoms to you dont seem to be HIV specific?  What do you mean by that?  And what symptoms are HIV specific according to you? 

Its been 2.5 weeks since the exposure and I cant sleep anymore.  I dont know what to do. 

Has anyone on this forum come across an incident like mine where all the nodes were swollen after a possible infection?  And if so, what was the outcome?  I hope I have luck on my side and god cause I just dont know what I will do if I were to be infected.  Please help.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2006, 03:30:26 am »
chotu, ARS does not start a week after exposure as you have indicated your symptoms started. What Andy meant is that you can not go by your symptoms of swollen nodes to diagnosis HIV. You can have swollen nodes for a number of reasons.  If you were going thru ARS, you wouldn't only have ONE symptom appear. Swollen nodes in ARS do not cause pain. So whatever you are having is different than what you would have for ARS. You need to go back to the doctor and see what is causing it and quit putting so much worry on HIV.

Offline chotu

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2006, 02:07:22 pm »
Thanks Rapid Rod for the response...another question...if I get a fever accompanied w/ rashes or other symptoms related to HIV, would the swollen nodes count as another symptom even though they occured a week after exposure and the rest of the symptoms happened 1.5-2 weeks after the initial swelling of the nodes?

Ive also noticed a stuffy nose lately as well...also, I felt nodes in my groin area and the chain of nodes located on the right thigh near the groin.  Is this relevant in this case?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2006, 03:09:48 pm »
chotu,

There is not one symptom that is relevant when it comes to hiv infection. Symptoms are meaningless - hiv can ONLY be diagnosed through the appropriate test at the appropriate time. A negative result at six weeks would be an excellent indication of your true hiv status, but must be confirmed at the three month point.

You are just going to have to wait until the right time to test. In the meantime, stop looking at your body through the lens of hiv. You have an excellent chance of testing negative. Stay productively busy, stay off of hiv internet sites and the time will go quicker than you would imagine.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Darkfiber

« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2006, 03:13:14 pm »
Chotu

I know you don't want to hear it at that point time. But you will understand once you get over your fear!

Forget about the symptoms! P-l-e-a-s-e !-!-!

It's meaningless. Because some experience symptoms other don't. Some have major symptoms an require to be hospitalized others believe it's just an allergy to something. Some have to throw up and count little monsters in the corner of the bathroom while others just sleep as nothing has happend.

There is no predictive value if you you experience symptoms or not.

You are most welcome to ask questions but please stop with questions about symptoms.

Regards

Darkfiber

Offline chotu

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2006, 02:59:44 pm »
Hi again guys,

OK, I went to the doc's office today to tell him about what my symptoms are and my fears are.  I told him that I engaged in unprotected sex exactly 20 days ago and that after a week, I noticed swollen nodes everywhere and they were concerning me.  Also, my throat has become irritated and just to have a check up.  He looked around and said that my throat was a little red.  He checked for strep and that was negative...but he prescribed Amoxicillian since he didnt like the way my throat looked. 

He also felt the nodes in the back of my neck and said that they were normal.  This is where I was confused cause you are not supposed to feel your nodes at all until they swell right?  Like if everything was fine, I wouldnt be able to feel my nodes correct?  Cause I def felt the nodes and so did he but this is a grey area for me.

Anyways, he also ordered blood tests for all the different hep's, syphillis, and HIV.  He told me that we would have to re-test since its too early but ordered it anyway.  He didnt mention what type of test for the HIV and I didnt think to ask until I left.  Do you think that he will use the reg Elisa Lab Corp test as he did last time for me?  Or do you think that since it was early, he ordered the PCR-DNA one?  I gave blood to measure all these tests. 

At this point, I still feel the nodes, everywhere I might add, and the back of my tongue is white coated, I have an irritated throat, and I feel like I have a head cold...still no fever, chillls, or rash at this point.  Im approaching 3 weeks past exposure right now. 

I hope to god that I test negative at the 20 day mark but know that I will have to re-test at the 42 day mark and then again at the 90 day mark if negative.

Please answer my questions that I stated above and please send me your thoughts/comments.

Thanks again.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2006, 03:10:55 pm »
Chotu,

I certainly hope for your sake the doctor didn't order a PCR test, because they are not approved for diagnostic purposes as they have a very high rate of false positives. You'll go nuts if you get one of those. If he has any sense, he will have ordered a standard antibody test.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days, so an antibody test at this time is not totally meaningless. However, while a negative result now is good news, it MUST be confirmed at the three month point.

This lymph node thing is where many people go wrong. Everyone is different and depending on factors such as body fat and positioning, it is altogether normal for some people to have nodes that can be felt or even seen when there is nothing wrong with them. You need to know that constantly touching and poking at your nodes can MAKE them swell and keep the swollen. Keep your mitts OFF.

In the meantime, you are just going to have to wait until the right time to test. Stop looking at your body through the lens of hiv. You have an excellent chance of testing negative. Stay productively busy, stay off of hiv internet sites and the time will go quicker than you would imagine.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline chotu

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2006, 02:37:37 pm »
Hi Ann,

Wanted to let you know that I tested at the 3 week mark, as you stated is still too early, but none-the-less, I tested and the result was negative (thank god), and I know I have to test again 9 more weeks down the road. 

Got a question though, I woke up this morn and I happened to notice a rash on my left shoulder where the joints meet.  I have never had a rash before and Im flipping out.  Later on in the day, I noticed that it went away a bit, but there is still some there, and that it some of it mightve expanded to the back of arm, tricep area.  If a rash happens in relation to HIV, how long does it last and Ive heard that it primarily happens around the trunk, waistline of your body.  Is this true?  I feel that the nodes arent as swollen as they were 2.5 weeks ago, but I have no idea what to take from that.  I have no other symptoms except for minor fatigue for a week to two weeks after the exposure.

What do you take from this if anything?  Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2006, 03:19:36 pm »
chotu,

I don't take anything from that. Symptoms or even the lack of symptoms means nothing when it comes to hiv infection. ONLY testing will reveal your hiv status.

That rash could be anything. If it worries you, see your doctor. Try to not look at your body through the lens of hiv. You'll drive yourself batty.

You have a very good chance of continuing to test negative. I've yet to see a guy become infected through a vaginal condom break and I don't expect you to be the first.

Ann

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline chotu

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2006, 03:52:18 pm »
Ann,

I actually had another exposure and it was merged into this thread which was before...it was unprotected vaginal intercourse with a girl of unknown status. 

I also heard that the tests that are being used today, esp from Lab Corp and such, can detect anitbodies from 3-6 weeks as opposed to the older tests back in the day.  And this is why the CDC tells everyone to be tested at the 6 month mark to be conclusive.  Have you heard the same or any arguments on that matter? 

Thanks.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2006, 07:15:50 pm »
chotu, the six month test went out in 2001. You can get your conclusive test at 3 months.

Offline chotu

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2006, 03:46:55 pm »
Ann,

I tested 3 weeks after unprotected sex, both oral and insertive vaginal sex, Im a hetero male, and the result was negative.  First week after exposure, there were nodes all along both sides of my neck that were enlarged and confirmed by a doc.  I still feel them on the left side but not on the right.  Is it possible that the nodes are fighting the infection, and if it was HIV, that its still not registered within my blood stream as of yet. 

Also, my main question, have you ever heard of anyone testing pos after testing neg after the 3 week mark?  Wether you read about it or know someone or heard something like that...please let me know.  I will go again in the beggining of Nov to test again.

Thanks.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2006, 04:08:41 pm »
You do not get any symptoms, if you get any at all, that early. Testing positive after three weeks negative? Of course, you don't take a test at three weeks for one, it to early for some people to begin making enough antibodies that can test.

Offline chotu

« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2006, 04:14:30 pm »
OK, understood, are you saying that you have come across an incident where someone tested pos after testing neg around the 3 week mark or even earlier?  I just want to know, since a lot of people have dealt and are continuing to deal with this virus, if this scenario has ever happened?  Please let me know, anyone.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2006, 04:22:14 pm »
Yes, it is common. Please read the "Welcome" thread.

Offline chotu

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2006, 04:30:56 pm »
So you can tell me that you have heard of people testing pos after a neg result posted at the latest, a 3 week mark?  Just looking for a yes or no answer here.  Thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2006, 04:59:27 pm »
chotu,

Three weeks is too early and yes, people can test positive after testing negative at three weeks. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by SIX weeks, not three. A SIX week test is unlikely to change, but a three week test could.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline chotu

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2006, 08:37:09 pm »
Ann,

Thanks for the comments but I just wanted to know if anyone has ever come across or heard of a situation where someone tested positive after 3 weeks or less from negative?  I understand that it can happen, but I just wanted to know if you or anyone else have ever come across this situation?  Just a yes or no answer...it wont change anything that Im thinking, Im just curious and I know that others are too.

Thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2006, 05:52:50 am »
Chotu,

The only people I've seen testing that early in this forum either had no risk whatsoever, or had very little chance of testing positive anyway. The only thing a three week test will tell you for certain is that you were reliably hiv negative three months prior to taking the test. We don't recommend testing at three weeks because a three week test CAN change when there has been an actual risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline chotu

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2007, 11:22:03 am »
Please tell me your thoughts...

Im a heterosexual male and got a sex worker who proceeded to give me a blowjob, unprotected.  While doing that, she fingered my anus for about 10-15 seconds and stopped...I did not stop her but I realize that she couldve had a cut finger or something.  After a couple of weeks, I feel completey tired, lymph nodes are enlarged and I feel as if I'm in a terrible prolongated flu stage.  Pretty much, cant shake it.  Does this inhibit cause for concern?

Also, I may have genital warts on my penis, near the head.  If that is the case, does that increase the chances while receiving a blow job to transmit the virus? 

I know how questions are redundant for you guys so I will not ask anymore after these.  Thank you.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2007, 11:25:58 am »
No, and reread the answers you were given in your other post. Oral sex is not a risk of HIV infection.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2007, 11:26:54 am »
chotu,

Please read and re-read your thread. We've answered these questions for you before and the answers aren't going to change even if it is a new incident and a new partner.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline chotu

« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2007, 11:28:52 am »
Just wanted to know about the additonal concern of the warts??  Can they increase the possibility?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2007, 11:38:23 am »
Chotu,

When it comes to hiv and getting a blowjob or having your anus fingered, there isn't an  risk. If there were exceptions to that rule, we would have told you.

You did not have a risk. Re-read your thread instead of coming back with the same question worded differently.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline chotu

« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2007, 11:48:34 am »
Ann,

I understand and thanks...just wanted to know about the Wart thing...is that considered an open wound or a sore?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2007, 01:18:18 pm »
chotu,

If you are concerned about your warts, please see your doctor.

You aren't listening. Getting a blowjob is not a risk for hiv infection.

You are a post away from a time out. Read the posting guidelines found in the Welcome Thread before continuing. Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.