Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 05:19:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 160
Total: 160

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Yippy New Norvir  (Read 11381 times)

Offline AndyArrow

Yippy New Norvir
« on: April 28, 2010, 05:49:17 pm »
I just picked up my meds and like always reminded the tech that there was one more prescription in the refrigeration and she told me not any more.  They now carry norvir in tablet form.  It just made my day ... one less thing to worry about especially for traveling.
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Yippy New Norvir
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 06:12:55 pm »
I've had mine for about a week and a half now. The first five days were a little touch-n-go - leaning a little heavy on the having "to go" side of the deal. A couple days of immodium and things settled down though. ;)

I like that it wasn't so big either, so now not only can I take everything at once (reyetaz, norvir, truvada, and a valtrex) but everything fit's into a small pill fob, so I can always carry a dose with me if I get the chance to eat out.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline weasel

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:05:59 pm »

Now I will have to check with the V.A.   

They seem to be behind the times ..................

I had to fight for truvada  :o

But Norvir that does not clump would be nice  :)

I won't have to worry about melting when I am in Las Vegas for the party  :D

See you all there ,
                                                                                   Weasel
" Live and let Live "

Offline lforsyth

• Standard
  • Instaurator Ruinae
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 01:07:47 pm »
I just got my Norvir prescription refilled and the pharmacist gave me the regular version.  I'll have to ask them about the type that doesn't need refrigeration.

Thanks for the information.
Tested POZ in 1986, knew there was something wrong in 1985. 04/2010 CD4: 975 Viral Load undetectable. Prezista, Norvir, Truvada, Acyclovir, Plavix, Lisinopril, Metoprolol and a bedtime snack of Lipitor (YUM)

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 09:59:30 am »
I just picked up my meds and like always reminded the tech that there was one more prescription in the refrigeration and she told me not any more.  They now carry norvir in tablet form.  It just made my day ... one less thing to worry about especially for traveling.

I'm really loving the new Norvir-tabs, after a few days, I've noticed, that I have less Bloating, Gas, and Diarrhea, this was way over due, and nice NOT to deal with those nasty side-effects from the old Norvir gel-caps anymore, now if they only made this for the Aptivus, as that has this nasty side-effect as well  :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline jm1953

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 09:48:11 pm »
Denb45,

That's good news about your experience with Norvir tabs.  I personally hate the stuff.  So making it easier to take and tolerate would be great.  My HIV doc isn't so crazy about it for some reason.  But he said he'd prescribe it if I want it in tablet form.   Next prescription I'll try it.

Also, my pharmacist told me with the old Norvir it can be non-refrigerated for up to 30 days if at room temp.  That's the only way I remember to take it is to have it out with my other meds.

Best always,

Jeff
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 10:54:37 pm »
My HIV doc isn't so crazy about it for some reason.  But he said he'd prescribe it if I want it in tablet form. 
that's why it pays to do your research and be your own health advocate. ;)

I actually knew about the release of the tablet a week before my doc. He too wasn't too keen on prescribing it. (could it be because he might have to monitor me a bit more because of the change? or did he not know enough about it and was worried about what differences it might have?) I never let my doctor(s) be the last word in my health care, even when I like them and trust them. It's my life that hangs in the balance ;)

I totally despised those norvir gelcaps, and after just a couple days of diarrhea during the changeover (probably because the absorption rate is different), I haven't had another issue and really like the convenience of it being a smaller pill and not having to be in the frig.

I do see that the tablet cost $3 more than the gelcap (even though my meds are covered through medicare/medicaid); but the convenience is worth it.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline denb45

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 10:48:59 am »
I'm really loving the new Norvir-tabs, after a few days, I've noticed, that I have less Bloating, Gas, and Diarrhea, this was way over due, and nice NOT to deal with those nasty side-effects from the old Norvir gel-caps anymore, now if they only made this for the Aptivus, as that has this nasty side-effect as well  :D

I take all of this back........the Bloating, Gas, and Diarrhea is even WORSE now, after a whole month, but that's ok, I can always take more loperamide(Imodium)  ???
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline unclespongebob

• im the on on the right in the red shirt
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 10:13:16 pm »
i love mine this way ,dont have to worry about anything now
friends are gods way of apologizing to us for our familys. / a real friend os one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. / everybody wants to ride with you in the limo,but what you need is sombody who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down./ one friend in a lifetimeis much; two are many; three are hardly possible.

Offline denb45

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 08:10:35 pm »
My Bloating, Gas, and Diarrhea is even WORSE now  :-[ I'm doubling my loperamide(Imodium), but it's NOT helping me much...........time to talk to my doctor about what the hell is going on with my bowels  ???

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 09:17:16 pm »
So go back to the old formula. That's what I've done.  Of course, I guess at some point they'll stop making it but I'll worry about that later.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline denb45

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 11:30:48 am »
So go back to the old formula. That's what I've done.  Of course, I guess at some point they'll stop making it but I'll worry about that later.

I did this when I somehow ran out of the Norvir tabs, but I don't think it's the Norvir tho, I've stopped the 4grms of fish oil, and the pump-inhibitors (RANITDINE 300mg), and the coffee (I drink a lot of that stuff)
all-tho the (LOPERAMIDE-IMODIUM 2mg) I can only take (1 cap) every 8 to 12 hours, I've also been eating a lot of baked potato's and toast, crackers to stop this agony  ??? I do however understand that the Diarrhea is part of my disability, as I've battled with this for the last 12 yrs. just when you think you have this under control, you suddenly find out that you DON'T, it's a constant reminder of HIV/AIDS  :'(
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 11:48:59 am by denb45 »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 11:37:02 am »
I did this when I somehow ran out of the Norvir tabs, but I don't think it's the Norvir tho, I've stopped the 4grms of fish oil, and the pump-inhibitors (RANITDINE 300mg), and the coffee (I drink a lot of that stuff)
all-tho the (LOPERAMIDE-IMODIUM 2mg) I can only take (1 cap) every 8 to 12 hours, I've also been eating a lot of baked potato's and toast, crackers to stop this agony  ???

So take more loperamide.  1 cap twice a day isn't a lot, and there's no danger in taking more.  I take 3 of them twice daily, and have done so for over a decade.

My problem with the new Norvir tablets wasn't diarrhea so much (as I take so much loperamide) but what happened was this odd, persistent, anal leakage.

Offline denb45

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 11:43:40 am »
So take more loperamide.  1 cap twice a day isn't a lot, and there's no danger in taking more.  I take 3 of them twice daily, and have done so for over a decade.

My problem with the new Norvir tablets wasn't diarrhea so much (as I take so much loperamide) but what happened was this odd, persistent, anal leakage.

Tell me about it, I have to change underwear a lot, so your saying I can take more loperamide? OMG
you take 6 of them a day?..... that's a lot, but hey if that works for you, I'll give that a try, instead of
1 every 8 to 12 hours , I'll try taking 2 every 8 to 12 hours and see how well that works, thanks for
the tip, at this point and after almost a whole month of shitting my brains out, I'm willing to try just about ANYTHING  :D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 11:45:45 am by denb45 »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 11:58:53 am »
Tell me about it, I have to change underwear a lot, so your saying I can take more loperamide? OMG
you take 6 of them a day?..... that's a lot, but hey if that works for you, I'll give that a try, instead of
1 every 8 to 12 hours , I'll try taking 2 every 8 to 12 hours and see how well that works, thanks for
the tip, at this point and after almost a whole month of shitting my brains out, I'm willing to try just about ANYTHING  :D

I also take psyllium seed husk tablets, 1 twice daily, for fiber intake supplementation.  Sometimes 2 twice daily depending on circumstance.  Like anything of this nature take care to be hydrated.

Offline denb45

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 09:40:59 am »
After 2 weeks I still have VERY BAD Diarrhea, and very discomforting Nausea, eating and keeping anything down has become a real chore, although I haven't been vomiting, it's still very uncomfortable to hold anything down food-wise (right now all I can eat is white-toast, tea, coffee, and Meds) I have a very funny feeling that this is something more than just (side-effects of Meds) for yrs. this condition has been passed off as (OH It's AIDS by a lot of HIV-Doctors) and nothing ever get's done about this chronic GI- problem I've lived with for the last 15 to 20 yrs. so, something just doesn't feel right about all of this  Diarrhea and
Nausea, so I'm now going to be very pro-active and ask to be referred to a GI-doctor, and this time like many other times, I'm NOT gonna take that old saying by 20 yrs of HIV-Doctors writing this off as side-effect-of HIV-MEDS, at least that way I'll find out form a REAL GI-Doctor what-the-hells-going
down in my gut  ???

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 09:49:19 am »
I would still switch back to the old Norvir immediately just to see what happens.  Technically it's a different prescription, so even being on ADAP they won't make you finish out the current "new Norvir" bottle.

Offline denb45

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 10:47:46 am »
I would still switch back to the old Norvir immediately just to see what happens.  Technically it's a different prescription, so even being on ADAP they won't make you finish out the current "new Norvir" bottle.

I ran-out of the tabs (I don't know why) last moth, and had to go back to the gel-caps for about 4 to 5 days, ADAP admitted that they made a mistake, and that I shouldn't have run out of the tabs, so this month they corrected this by adding one more bottle of the NORIVR-TABS, I've always had VERY BAD Diarrhea, but it got WORSE when i made the switch, the problem w/ this is, I'll ran-out of the gels-caps
and will be FORCED into taking the tabs again, as ADAP tells me "We don't have anymore gel-caps, as they have been discontinued  ???....I know that hopefully I'll get used to this change, but almost after 2 weeks of VERY BAD Diarrhea and uncomfortable Nausea, my life hasn't been NORMAL, I can't even work-out, and ride my bike the 9 miles like I used to, and taking more loperamide really doesn't stop
the Diarrhea ( I still have it no matter how much I take), and it makes me feel like I swallowed a ROCK
or Play-dough, and I can't fit into any of my pants as the bloating is so bad  ??? I'm still gonna see a GI-Doctor when ever I can get into see one, it's a 3 month waiting period just to see one  :'(
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 10:49:58 am by denb45 »

Offline Lakis

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 10:19:46 am »
Im taking new Norvir for couple of months now....NO problems at all :-)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.