Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:16:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773223
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 607
Total: 609

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Guy I'm seeing is HIV- and panics after hand jobs  (Read 5028 times)

Offline Koopahtroopah

Guy I'm seeing is HIV- and panics after hand jobs
« on: January 10, 2014, 05:43:01 pm »
Hey everyone,

I found out in October that I'm HIV+, have been on Truvada and Tivicay for about 5 weeks now and will check my viral load next week.  I've been seeing a guy who has been through all of this with me and is really amazing.  BUT, he is very worried about contracting it from me and honestly, it makes me feel really shitty...like I'm the reason I give him anxiety and worry.  We haven't had anal sex since I've found out and have only given each other hand jobs.  I've been telling him that there's no evidence that you can get HIV from hand jobs but every time he gets a cold or feels shitty in the morning, he panics.  I feel like I want to tell him that it's safer to have sex with someone who knows they are HIV+ and on meds than someone who doesn't know or got tested 5 or 6 months ago.  But I also don't want to tell him not to worry because I think that might come off wrong.  Anyone with a similar experience?  Maybe I should just end it. 

KoopahTroopah
10/16/2013 - Oral Rapid Test rective
11/4/2013 - CD4 523 30%; VL 104,000
12/7/2013 - Start Truvada and Tivicay

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Guy I'm seeing is HIV- and panics after hand jobs
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 06:26:57 pm »
I've been telling him that there's no evidence that you can get HIV from hand jobs but every time he gets a cold or feels shitty in the morning, he panics. 

He needs to get over this.

YES tell him:  I feel like I want to tell him that it's safer to have sex with someone who knows they are HIV+ and on meds than someone who doesn't know or got tested 5 or 6 months ago.

He might sing a different tune when you are undetectable.

That said, we all know the rules for avoiding hiv transmission and if he can't feel comfortable, knowing the facts, its HIS job to get over it.  And I don't think you need to wait until you are undetectable for him to learn the facts and either emotionally deal, or not.

He gets over it, or you move on. But, it is just a few months since your diagnosis so it does take time.

You realise we older folks had over a decade of sex lives before there was ever a hope for treatment... We didnt all stop to screw.  But yeah, some people can never really deal with serodiscordant sex.

Condoms.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline aaware72

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 07:08:37 pm »
In my opinion he needs to educated himself on HIV/AIDS. 
"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 12:06:44 am »
Koopah;  I think Aware is right - he would benefit from some education.  I had the benefit of my partner getting information from our local ASO -- which has been great.  Are you in an area that has an organization that does safe sex education/outreach?

Hearing it from a someone else, and a professional at that, may help quite a bit.

Best,
JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 08:09:40 am »
Koopah;  I think Aware is right - he would benefit from some education.  I had the benefit of my partner getting information from our local ASO -- which has been great.  Are you in an area that has an organization that does safe sex education/outreach?

Hearing it from a someone else, and a professional at that, may help quite a bit.

Best,
JM

Be careful about this - make sure that "professional" has a sex-positive attitude and doesn't engage in scaremongering. In other words, make sure you take him to a professional who really does know the truth about transmission risks.

There are far too many doctors and other health care workers who are stuck back in 1985 where hiv risk factors are concerned. We see evidence of it all the time over in the Am I Infected? forum, with people being told by their doctors that handjobs and other risk-free activities are risky.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline auspoz

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 08:30:10 am »
I'm with Ann (no surprise!)

I've met soooo many doctors who have no fucking idea of HIV. 4 examples:

1) went to get antibiotics for a throat infection. She said "How is it you're not on HIV meds???"  (My CD4 was about 750 and VL 1000)

2) went to the ER as i had a boil on my leg (yuk, painful). Intern said HIV patients had to be admitted for IV antibiotics for 3 days. Ugh.

3) had kidney stones (yeah I should drink more water) had a sleep at the hospital for a short moment after having morphine and sweated on the pillow. Nurse said "Ah, that'd be your meds". Me "I'm not on meds. I actually think it's my sleep apnoea".

4) most precious. The Dr I went to during my mysterious "flu", who'd told me to go home and drink water and sleep. Years later went back with a throat infection. When I said "you missed my HIV" he said: "oh. How long have you had AIDS?"  I told him to fuck off and give me a script. (I have never had AIDS- he didn't care that there was a difference!)

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 03:00:28 pm »
Be careful about this - make sure that "professional" has a sex-positive attitude and doesn't engage in scaremongering. In other words, make sure you take him to a professional who really does know the truth about transmission risks.

There are far too many doctors and other health care workers who are stuck back in 1985 where hiv risk factors are concerned. We see evidence of it all the time over in the Am I Infected? forum, with people being told by their doctors that handjobs and other risk-free activities are risky.

My recommendation was to seek out an ASO that does safe sex outreach/education -- not to just go to any "professional".

JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 03:08:40 pm »
My recommendation was to seek out an ASO that does safe sex outreach/education -- not to just go to any "professional".

JM

Even "professionals" at ASOs are sometimes very sex-negative when it comes to hiv positive people having a sex life, particularly when discussing having a sex life with an hiv negative person. They might talk-the-talk when speaking in general terms, but if you get one-on-one with them, some of them will start trotting out crap that is basically CYA-based, rather than fact-based. I've had first-hand experience of this when I was in a serodiscordant relationship. :-\

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 03:37:13 pm »
Even "professionals" at ASOs are sometimes very sex-negative when it comes to hiv positive people having a sex life, particularly when discussing having a sex life with an hiv negative person. They might talk-the-talk when speaking in general terms, but if you get one-on-one with them, some of them will start trotting out crap that is basically CYA-based, rather than fact-based. I've had first-hand experience of this when I was in a serodiscordant relationship. :-\

I have only had experience with one ASO - and I have to say that they probably saved my relationship.  I can't speak for all ASO's (positively or negatively), but my experience was good.  Like anything else in life...Caveat Emptor.

JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 03:39:45 pm »
Like anything else in life...Caveat Emptor.

Exactly what I meant. :)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 04:04:06 pm »
I guess I'm the odd man out here -- we're talking about hand jobs, not penetrative sex. I'll assume the partner in question is similar in age (26) to the OP, which means they have been sexually active (most likely, which I admit is an assumption on my part) for probably just shot of a decade.

If he's communicating anxiety and worry to this degree then (also an assumption) he's probably in the midst of a panic attack with every hand job.  Does he actually finish the hand job fully to orgasm or does he panic mid-way -- as in can he even allow globs of your horribly AIDS semen touch his body? I mean, hasn't the thought crossed his minds with the dozens of other guys he's had sex with by the age of 26 that at least a quarter of them had HIV whether or not he knew it?

So, IMO, and because it's hand jobs we're discussing I don't think any amount of "counseling" will get him past this in any fashion -- he might say so after a couple of sessions but it won't really. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd say there's a 95% chance that I'm right. And you just met him going from your recent posts, it's not like you've been partners for five years. Am I completely crazy to think it's not worth your time bothering with any of this?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 04:48:39 pm »
I guess I'm the odd man out here -- we're talking about hand jobs, not penetrative sex. I'll assume the partner in question is similar in age (26) to the OP, which means they have been sexually active (most likely, which I admit is an assumption on my part) for probably just shot of a decade.

If he's communicating anxiety and worry to this degree then (also an assumption) he's probably in the midst of a panic attack with every hand job.  Does he actually finish the hand job fully to orgasm or does he panic mid-way -- as in can he even allow globs of your horribly AIDS semen touch his body? I mean, hasn't the thought crossed his minds with the dozens of other guys he's had sex with by the age of 26 that at least a quarter of them had HIV whether or not he knew it?

So, IMO, and because it's hand jobs we're discussing I don't think any amount of "counseling" will get him past this in any fashion -- he might say so after a couple of sessions but it won't really. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd say there's a 95% chance that I'm right. And you just met him going from your recent posts, it's not like you've been partners for five years. Am I completely crazy to think it's not worth your time bothering with any of this?

^^^ This.

KoopahTroopah,

A relationship is meant to fuel your soul and spirit.  If he is so afraid of HIV, that means he will always be afraid of a part of you.  Each of us is responsible for how we react to others and obsessing over HIV infection should not be part of any relationship.  I would hope that you have more respect for yourself, than having to accept the interest of someone, who deep down, will always be afraid of you.

Joe

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 06:04:28 pm »
I think it's a little early to be throwing the BF out the window just yet.

You haven't even been positive for 90 days yet.  There's going to be an adjustment period for both of you.

If he is afraid of a hand job,  he needs some serious education.  If after that education he still treats you like you are toxic then it's his problem not yours.

To what extent have you sat down and discussed this with him?   Explained the real risk to him (non-existent)?  Told him how you feel about this?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.