Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:23:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 207
Total: 210

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Women's input needed about HIV and the criminal law  (Read 4584 times)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Women's input needed about HIV and the criminal law
« on: July 03, 2012, 09:27:01 am »
Recently, Solo_LTSurvivor posted a thread in the Living forum concerning a survey about hiv and the criminal law.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HIVandtheCriminalLaw

Quite a few people responded, but one of the authors got in touch with us asking us to help them get more women involved. Here's what she wrote:

Dear all,

For those who don't know me, my name is Laurel Sprague and I am the Regional Coordinator for the North American affiliate of The Global Network of People Living with HIV (GNP+NA). I am writing to ask for your help in recruiting women to participate in an on-line survey about HIV and the use of the criminal law. This is the largest and most comprehe nsive survey of its kind ever done in the United States and it is truly a grassroots effort. Sean Strub and I (with The Sero Project) have worked closely to create and implement the survey and we received a tremendous amount of community input, largely from other people living with HIV, into the questions that are asked in the survey.

I am really pleased about the number of people who have completed the survey so far (over 2500). However, only 18% of respondents have identified themselves as women. Because women's experiences of HIV and the criminal law may be quite different from men's, it is tremendously important to me to do everything I can to make sure that enough women's voices are included. If enough women respond, I will be able to break the survey results down by gender to see if there are meaningful differences (and it looks already like there will be differences).

Would you consider taking the survey and/or forwarding it to any groups or people in your address book who might be interested in adding their experiences and opinions to this survey? We want as many people as possible from all groups to be involved, but are particularly looking for women respondents.

The survey has been designed primarily for respondents in the U.S.(or from the U.S. living outside the country) who are people living with or otherwise affected by HIV - including key populations, family members, people who work in the field, affected communities, and people who just simply care. If you are not from the U.S., you are still welcome to fill out the survey. There is a place where you can indicate your country.

Here is the link to the survey:

With great appreciation for your time and warmest regards,
Laurel

Lecturer, Eastern Michigan University
Regional Coordinator, GNP+NA
The Global Network of People Living with HIV, North America
Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

I took the survey and it doesn't take too much time to complete. I'd like to urge all our women here to also do it, regardless of where you live. Our voices need to be heard too!

If any of you know other women who may be interested in taking the survey, please forward the survey URL to them as well. The more the merrier!

Here's the address (URL) again:

None of your personal details are kept - you don't have to give them your email address or anything like that.

Thank you to all you ladies out there who take some time out of your busy day to complete this survey.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Women's input needed about HIV and the criminal law
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 04:33:37 pm »
If this is the same one that was posted on the Poz website, I took it. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 07:34:05 am »
If this is the same one that was posted on the Poz website, I took it. 

Yes, it's the same one being done by the SERO Project, with Sean Strub being one of the people behind it.

Solo also posted about it in the Living forum, but as Laurel Sprague (one of the authors) asked us to help them get more women involved, I posted it here in the hopes that some of our poz women who don't always venture into Living will see it and take the survey.

There is a great need for there to be more women's voices heard and I'm thrilled to know that the SERO Project has noticed our silence and are being proactive about getting us more involved.

Thanks for taking part, Betty. :)

By the way, I asked my daughter to take the survey and she has asked some of her friends to take it as well. You don't have to be poz to take the survey, although they are hoping that any hiv negative participants have some sort of connection to people with hiv.

Do you think your daughter might take the survey, or any of the women you work with? Please ask any women you can think of to take part.

WE ARE WOMEN, HEAR US ROAR! lol

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 04:44:25 pm »
I will definitely pass on the link. :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.