Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:10:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 207
Total: 209

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Finally a treatment I can get behind -Chronic  (Read 12756 times)

Offline buginme2

Finally a treatment I can get behind -Chronic
« on: February 13, 2014, 01:16:00 am »
There have been previous studies that show marijuana is beneficial to hiv positive people and may combat hiv itself.

Here is another study recently conducted by Louisiana State University that showed monkeys infected with monkey aids who were given marijuana daily were able to fight their HIV better than the straight edge monkeys.  Toke up.

http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/pdf/10.1089/aid.2013.0182?noFrame=true

http://www.cannabisculture.com/content/2014/02/12/Marijuana-Might-Stop-Spread-HIV
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline xinyuan

Re: Finally a treatment I can get behind -Chronic
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 10:09:00 pm »
SIV does not equal HIV. Monkeys do not equate to humans.

I'll be fascinated to see an IRB reviewing and approving a long-term human study and the safety monitoring board overseeing it.

Toke up as you choose. However, if it impairs people's ability to take their ART's and themselves, I can't recommend it.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 10:42:50 pm »
Just a hunch....but you could probably use a j

Offline xinyuan

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 11:03:11 pm »
Health care workers are banned from using the stuff. We're drug screened.

You really want us high, making critical decisions and doing procedures on you?

Didn't think so.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 11:06:36 pm »
Health care workers are banned from using the stuff. We're drug screened.

You really want us high, making critical decisions and doing procedures on you?

Didn't think so.

LOL . I would not want a drunk doctor either but I do not mind him having a drink on his on time .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline xinyuan

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 11:10:17 pm »
Heh. I can do good beer or liquor with friends :)

Next drink will be dedicated to you, Jeff.

Offline gavelkind

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 11:46:40 pm »
Hmmm. I'm a pothead. And smoking has never impaired me from taking my meds. Personally, I find it hypocritical you don't seem to be as judgmental of alcohol as you are of weed?

Also, SIV doesn't equal HIV? Is that true? Thought it had the same effects. The only difference is the simian vs human wording, no?

As for HIV and pot, I was always surprised my CD4 levels have always been so high. I really expected them to be much lower starting off considering how long I think I had it by that point.

Also, I've yet to be sick even though I'm the opposite of a germaphobe and one of my roomates is always getting colds. Oh, and I'm in great shape, even though I don't work out. Studies also indicate that potheads maintain lower levels of weight. I agree. I eat really well. I mean, I got the munchies and ate crap when I first started smoking, but when you become a pothead, the munchies go away.
2/13- Diagnosed
3/13- CD4,  885/39%   VL, 135,542
5/13- CD4,  867/46%   VL, 553
6/13- CD4,  720/42%   VL, 32
7/13- CD4,  1095/36%  VL, <20
10/13- CD4, 884/47%   VL, 42
1/14- CD4,  1165/48%  VL, 31
2/14- CD4,  1214/46%  VL, <20
5/14- CD4,  1715/49%  VL, <20
9/14- CD4,  1135/48%  VL, <20

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 09:28:51 am »
Just a hunch....but you could probably use a j

Zing!
Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline Mishma

• HIV drugs are our Allies but hardly our Friends
    • Marquis de Vauban
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 01:11:31 pm »
We have tons of anecdotal and thousands of years of historical evidence of marijuana's effectiveness but what we are lacking (thanks to unenlightened drug policies) is today's  gold standard: Double-blind, placebo controlled drug studies. Fortunately basic science has elucidated a few of the central roles cannabinoids play in neurology, pain perception, autoimmunity and the like.

To be safe(r) we recommend vaporizing the drug so as to mitigate any harmful effects associated with smoking it.
2016 CD4 25% UD (less than 20). 30+ years positive. Dolutegravir, Acyclovir, Clonazepam, Lisinopril, Quetiapine, Sumatriptan/Naproxen, Restasis, Latanoprost, Asprin, Levothyroxine, Restasis, Triamcinolone.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 04:22:30 pm »

To be safe(r) we recommend vaporizing the drug so as to mitigate any harmful effects associated with smoking it.

I recommend the Pax.   Small, portable, fits in your pocket.   Perfect for the on the go pothead.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 04:34:29 pm »
We have tons...
To be safe(r) we recommend...
How is "we"?

Agree there's lot of good in weed.  ;D :-*
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline xinyuan

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 09:15:44 pm »
Hmmm. I'm a pothead. And smoking has never impaired me from taking my meds. Personally, I find it hypocritical you don't seem to be as judgmental of alcohol as you are of weed?

I am equally judgmental with alcohol. I wouldn't be caught dead with it on the job. Jeff was saying on personal time (i.e., not on the job). Plus, it has been proven in small amounts to be beneficial to heart health. I also don't binge alcohol. I'm especially critical of binging alcohol and having it affect compliance and health.

We understand the human body's metabolism of both substances. Problem with Mary Jane is that it lingers for days, if not weeks, in the body. Like it or not, it does affect thinking. I'm not going to go into the data on its overall harm vs. benefit, as that's controversial (and supporters tend to cherry pick their evidence).

Speaking of cherry picking. The plural of anectdote is not data.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

Also, SIV doesn't equal HIV? Is that true? Thought it had the same effects. The only difference is the simian vs human wording, no?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simian_immunodeficiency_virus

Related to it. But not HIV.

Otherwise, the many miracle SIV cures in monkeys would have already led to HIV cures.

As for HIV and pot, I was always surprised my CD4 levels have always been so high. I really expected them to be much lower starting off considering how long I think I had it by that point.

Cochrane review of MJ in HIV.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23633327

Basically, we have no idea if it helps in the ART era. Someone will likely try to do a study. And there'd be no shortage of people wanting to sign up. :o)

Offline Mishma

• HIV drugs are our Allies but hardly our Friends
    • Marquis de Vauban
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 05:19:15 pm »
"You really want us high, making critical decisions and doing procedures on you?

Didn't think so."

But sleep deprivation is OK?

Our daughter put in multiple 100 hour + weeks during her surgical residency and even today in her practice, with constant shift changes, she makes mistakes. Having collaborated with physicians for decades (I'm a retired researcher) at times I'd rather you were stoned than sleep deprived. Additionally, even with your heads screwed on correctly, medicine is still more of an art form than a scientifically grounded discipline.

Cherry picking is more the norm than we'd like to admit. Pot is still a drug and NO drug is without deleterious side effects. Everyone of them involves a trade off.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 05:22:57 pm by Mishma »
2016 CD4 25% UD (less than 20). 30+ years positive. Dolutegravir, Acyclovir, Clonazepam, Lisinopril, Quetiapine, Sumatriptan/Naproxen, Restasis, Latanoprost, Asprin, Levothyroxine, Restasis, Triamcinolone.

Offline xinyuan

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 07:25:56 pm »
But sleep deprivation is OK?

1) None of these situations are ideal for healthcare workers.

2) You've completely subverted this thread to an entirely different topic.

Offline zach

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 07:49:33 pm »
my only issue. due to the recent cold snaps i grew overly concerned for my young plants, and put the lights too close. i burned a good 20 babies. i mourn their loss. you folk can go back to bickering now, i'm gonna go smoke a joint

Offline xinyuan

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 08:05:54 pm »
Well, I hope you got to inhale some in memory at least :)

Offline Nasty Weather

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 04:28:00 pm »
I am convinced that my daily use of marijuana has made my meds and this disease more tolerable, I haven't been sick once in 7 years and I got diagnosed 4 years ago, been on meds for 2.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 04:51:05 pm »
 I'm treating myself right now

Offline xinyuan

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 09:44:11 pm »
http://www.poz.com/articles/HIV_pot_761_25203.shtml

From the poz.com web site itself.

Thank you all for contributing to the inaccurate reporting.

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 10:38:48 am »
http://www.poz.com/articles/HIV_pot_761_25203.shtml

From the poz.com web site itself.

And thank you for being a hater. 
Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline buginme2

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 11:55:58 am »

Are you high?  How has anyone here contributed to inaccurate reporting?  Besides, inaccurate hiv reporting...now that's something new.   If I recall another headline this year was "HIV cure in months!" That's how news sites generate revenue.   

The real question is..why are you so negative?

Offline xrel0aded

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 01:54:09 am »
Weed <3 helps everything.

Offline xinyuan

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 08:28:45 pm »
I come to this forum section to find hope in progress.

Many readers aren't necessarily in the best mood for humor.

Some may take these false hopes / conclusions seriously. Possibly at cost of caring for themselves.

And that, I fear.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 08:41:12 pm »
I come to this forum section to find hope in progress.

Many readers aren't necessarily in the best mood for humor.

Some may take these false hopes / conclusions seriously. Possibly at cost of caring for themselves.

And that, I fear.

I respect you opinions or reservations but for some people cannabis is much needed medicine . I know that the drugs I take for pain have a stigma attached because they are narcotics and that has happened to people who use cannabis for medicine far more frequently than what I have endured .

I used cannabis when I was in chemo and it helped me immensely . It also acted as a mood stabilizer when I was pumped full of steroids during chemo . Cannabis has real value as medicine if you can get past the myths and the refusal of those that have never had a need to use it to concede it helps people live a better life .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 09:11:23 pm »
your posts about cannabis are intentionally inflammatory, you are judgmental, and arrogant in your opinions. you claim to know the one truth, when truth is so much more complex and multifaceted. you have an agenda, and you are working that agenda.

your judgement means nothing to me.

we may share a disease, and in that alone i will call you my brother. but i find you to be a troll on this topic.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 01:23:17 pm »
Zach, you can dislike and disagree here but you can't call people names. It's not allowed and it will very quickly get you a Time Out or even banned if it happens again.

Enuf said. Thanks for your cooperation.
Andy Velez

Offline zach

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 01:48:01 pm »
i guess i am beyond the time limit to edit my own post, i would have simply stricken the entire post if you had got to me sooner andy. agreed, enough said.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.