Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:43:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 218
Total: 219

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Interesting idea for a thread.  (Read 59883 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Interesting idea for a thread.
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2012, 09:59:37 am »

As in any field, there are the good and the not so good (although, officers are, and should be, held to a higher standard - by nature of the profession).

What about doctors, by nature of their profession.  Life and death. Sickness and health. Pain and comfort. What about elementary school teachers, we trust them with our kids!  What about engineers?  Or Air traffic controllers...  I was in a near miss air crash over Newark.  I heard through the grapevine the controller involved is a very bad seed. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2012, 10:02:19 am »
What about doctors, by nature of their profession.  Life and death. Sickness and health. Pain and comfort. What about elementary school teachers, we trust them with our kids!  What about engineers?  Or Air traffic controllers...  I was in a near miss air crash over Newark.  I heard through the grapevine the controller involved is a very bad seed.

Whatevas
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2012, 10:03:21 am »
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline zach

« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2012, 10:26:38 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEXLm_o1T10&feature=BFa&list=SP0C7C018EE16D13A8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik&feature=related

Ihre Papiere, bitte!
[/size][/color]

3 Types of Police Encounters, and a fourth scenario when they knock on the door.                                         

Remain Calm

(1) Conversation,                  Level of Proof, none

This is where the cop is just chatting, don't be fooled. He is  working to build a case.                                                                                                     
My response; Am I being detained or am I free to go? If you're free to go LEAVE ASAP! If you are being detained, step 2

(2) Detained                         Level of Proof, reasonable suspicion                 

My response, Officer, I am going to remain silent, I would like to see a lawyer, I do not consent to any searches.

(3) Arrest                               Level of Proof, probable cause                           

My response, remain silent until lawyer arrives, do not sign anything without the lawyers advice.

(4) At your Door. If the police knock on the door, ask for a warrant, do not invite the police in, remain in the house behind a locked door. I talk to police at my door through a locked screen door. Without the warrant, they dont come in.

Dont give up your rights, know them, and exercise them. 4th covers searchs 5th covers remaining silent
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:01:23 pm by zach »

Offline buginme2

« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2012, 10:33:43 am »

(Who is Trayvon Martin?)

Really?  Wow
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2012, 10:47:40 am »
We have a nice scandal developing in the Philly police department. Last month a video went viral of a police officer punching a woman in the face during the Puerto Rican Pride Parade. It was so bad that the commissioner fired the officer. Then what happens? The police union decides to have a $30/person fundraiser for the officer.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline buginme2

« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2012, 11:01:13 am »
What was her crime that entitled her to a punch in the face?

Here in Seattle, after years of "patter of excessive force in violation of the constition" the US justice department now is in control of our pd.

The same thing has occurr at LAPD and New Orleans.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul/27/nation/la-na-nn-seattle-police-reforms-justice-20120727

That brings me back to my first point,  can we really trust local police to protect its citizens civil rights?  So far history says no..IMHO

Offline RemyG1971

• E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa Try it to end the panic
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2012, 11:30:55 am »

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2012, 11:32:59 am »
What was her crime that entitled her to a punch in the face?

Here in Seattle, after years of "patter of excessive force in violation of the constition" the US justice department now is in control of our pd.

The same thing has occurr at LAPD and New Orleans.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul/27/nation/la-na-nn-seattle-police-reforms-justice-20120727

That brings me back to my first point,  can we really trust local police to protect its citizens civil rights?  So far history says no..IMHO

This is in order to receive Federal $$$ they must undergo Federal oversight but nothing really changes because as a Police Officer you are always under Federal oversight.

So far history says no that a local Police Dept cannot protect the citizen civil rights? Your credibility just flew out the window.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:35:09 am by RemyG1971 »

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2012, 11:36:49 am »
We have a nice scandal developing in the Philly police department. Last month a video went viral of a police officer punching a woman in the face during the Puerto Rican Pride Parade. It was so bad that the commissioner fired the officer. Then what happens? The police union decides to have a $30/person fundraiser for the officer.

That is why Captains and above are no longer members of the Union because Captain and above you become a staff Officer. The Officer pays dues and Union 99.99% of the time will defend the Officer because that is exactly what they paid their dues for, right, wrong or indifferent.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2012, 01:15:50 pm »
This is in order to receive Federal $$$ they must undergo Federal oversight but nothing really changes because as a Police Officer you are always under Federal oversight.

So far history says no that a local Police Dept cannot protect the citizen civil rights? Your credibility just flew out the window.

Not quite, the US Justice Department was called into Seattle by the community due to the long standing misconduct within the Seattle Police Department which ended with police shooting an killing a man who was carving a totem pole on the side of the road.  Google John T. Williams.   The justice department gave the city a choice, agree to federal oversight or get sued. 

As far as history, look at the last 100 years in the US.  We have a history of civil rights violations from the abuses in the south, to lapd, to Cincinatti, Chicago, New Orleans, the list goes on a on and on to the most recent case where the Justice Department had to step in during the Trayvon Martin case.   If you take a look at US history during the past 100 years its local law enforcement that has lost all credibility. 

You know for someone who was a former cop you are pretty uneducated on the subject.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2012, 02:56:04 pm »
Not quite, the US Justice Department was called into Seattle by the community due to the long standing misconduct within the Seattle Police Department which ended with police shooting an killing a man who was carving a totem pole on the side of the road.  Google John T. Williams.   The justice department gave the city a choice, agree to federal oversight or get sued. 

As far as history, look at the last 100 years in the US.  We have a history of civil rights violations from the abuses in the south, to lapd, to Cincinatti, Chicago, New Orleans, the list goes on a on and on to the most recent case where the Justice Department had to step in during the Trayvon Martin case.   If you take a look at US history during the past 100 years its local law enforcement that has lost all credibility. 

You know for someone who was a former cop you are pretty uneducated on the subject.

I know I said I was out of this thread, but I can't let this asinine take on law enforcement stand unchallenged.

You, darling, do not speak for ALL.  The vast majority of the public do have faith in the police.  It's easy to take the bad examples as all that happens (and there are ample examples of the bad), because that is what gets highlighted in the national media.  However, for every example of a bad cop or a city with some less than stellar ethics, there are scores of examples in local papers that attest the lives and property saved by the police. 

What pisses me off the most about your "contributions" to this thread is that they resemble the barrage of political ads that are hitting my area.  All about bits and pieces of info, often out of context, rarely complete and all skewed to buttress your particular take.  What you say here, may be true, but you simply refuse to say anything positive about the law enforcement community -- you can't be so daft as to actually believe they do no good at all?  You are trying to use the lowest to paint them all -- on that I have to call BULLSHIT! 

Just what do you think this country would be like without the local police??

Mike

Offline buginme2

« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2012, 03:23:31 pm »
No where in this thread have I or anyone else said that all police officers, or all police agencies are bad.   Nor have I made the assumption that I speak for anyone other than myself.

What I have said is that I do not agree with the statement "there are just some bad apples" as an excuse for the history in this country of police misconduct.  It has been quite a history also. 

We (the United States) has a long history of police misconduct with regards to civil rights and corruption.  I do not agree that it is just media bias.  The amount of intervention the US justice department has done, in just the last 20 years shows its not just one sensational story but more of a pattern of abuses.

I also think the experiences that many people have shared on this thread speaking to how they were mistreated by the police add validity to that.

I'm sorry my opinion pisses you off.

As far as what I think the police force should look like.  Thats a good question and I dont begin to think I have all the answers but I do support more federal control.  I just dont think local governments have demonstrated they can handle the task.

We can agree to disagree though
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:47:12 pm by buginme2 »

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2012, 03:23:43 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trayvon_Martin

I haven't watched the news or read a newspaper in years probably why I never heard of this story. I did not read the article but I am guessing the hispanic guy shot the black guy and the world ended. By the looks of the back of his head he will beat any charges that he may face solely based on the way the law is written, GBI (Great Bodily Injury) is defined by stitches and if you have a legal right to be where you are when then shooting takes places with the fear of GBI you can use deadly force and for that reason and that reason alone if they filed charges he will walk.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 03:30:51 pm by RemyG1971 »

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2012, 03:26:37 pm »
No where in this thread have I or anyone else said that all police officers, or all police agencies are bad.   Nor have I made the assumption that I speak for anyone other than myself.

What I have said is that I do not agree with the statement "there are just some bad apples" as an excuse for the history in this country of police misconduct.  It has been quite a history also. 

We (the United States) has a long history of police misconduct with regards to civil rights and corruption.  I do not agree that it is just media bias.  The amount of intervention the US justice department has done, in just the last 20 years shows its not just one sensational story but more of a pattern of abuses.

I also think the experiences that many people have shared on this thread speaking to how they were mistreated by the police add validity to that.

I'm sorry my opinion pisses you off.

As far as what I think the police force should look like.  Thats a good question and I dont begin to think I have all the answers but I do support more federal control.  I just dont think local governmebts have demonstrated they can handle the task.

Our Presidents are liars and corrupt so I guess there are bad apples in every bunch. You have the right to your opinion that is what makes this Country great but if you never wore the badge and simply commenting from the outside looking in then you are well misinformed. The way you write statements lets one believe that there are more bad than good, the same could be said about almost every job.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2012, 04:24:40 pm »
The teen headed for his room was he running away? Who does that?

The officers were trying to arrest him, even though he wasn't the person named on the warrant, and he was trying to get away from the officers, all the while telling them he wasn't their man.  Would you let the police arrest you falsely?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-05/nra-backed-law-spells-out-when-indianans-may-open-fire-on-police.html

Don't forget, here in Hoosierville, citizens can use deadly force against officers who go unauthorized into someone's home. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 05:00:39 pm by BT65 »
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2012, 06:53:22 pm »
The officers were trying to arrest him, even though he wasn't the person named on the warrant, and he was trying to get away from the officers, all the while telling them he wasn't their man.  Would you let the police arrest you falsely?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-05/nra-backed-law-spells-out-when-indianans-may-open-fire-on-police.html

Don't forget, here in Hoosierville, citizens can use deadly force against officers who go unauthorized into someone's home.

I had not heard of that Law that kind of seems insane.

My advice if you are being arrest lawfully or unlawfully is not fight or run and to take it up with your Attorney, the Criminal Courts & the Civil Courts when you sue. When you run and/or fight it only makes you look dirty in the eyes of the Law. When I worked gangs there used to be a saying you run, get caught & want to fight the only thing that is going to beat you to the Hospital in the Ambulance you are in. Officers are paid to do a job and not paid to lose fights.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2012, 07:00:07 pm »
I had not heard of that Law that kind of seems insane.

My advice if you are being arrest lawfully or unlawfully is not fight or run and to take it up with your Attorney, the Criminal Courts & the Civil Courts when you sue. When you run and/or fight it only makes you look dirty in the eyes of the Law. When I worked gangs there used to be a saying you run, get caught & want to fight the only thing that is going to beat you to the Hospital in the Ambulance you are in. Officers are paid to do a job and not paid to lose fights.

The law Betty is talking about is no more insane than an officer (or anyone for that matter) thinking they can enter my home without at least announcing themselves.....  This would probably be one of the only times when I would be a proponent of the stand your ground law.... A police officer picks my home by accident and thinks he/she can enter - I will shoot first and the cop can take it up with the law (judge) later. Why should I have to let them in my home (unlawfully) and me take it up with the law..... and guess what... I bet any jury in the world would side with me...

Oh and your comment about someone who runs from an officer ending up in an ambulance as cops "are paid to do a job and not lose fights" speaks volumes about just the things that have been brought up on this thread regarding SOME law enforcement officers being worse than the criminals they are after..... 

September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2012, 07:13:08 pm »
The law Betty is talking about is no more insane than an officer (or anyone for that matter) thinking they can enter my home without at least announcing themselves.....  This would probably be one of the only times when I would be a proponent of the stand your ground law.... A police officer picks my home by accident and thinks he/she can enter - I will shoot first and the cop can take it up with the law (judge) later. Why should I have to let them in my home (unlawfully) and me take it up with the law..... and guess what... I bet any jury in the world would side with me...

Oh and your comment about someone who runs from an officer ending up in an ambulance as cops "are paid to do a job and not lose fights" speaks volumes about just the things that have been brought up on this thread regarding SOME law enforcement officers being worse than the criminals they are after.....

I did say, run/caught & wants to fight, not run/caught, run/caught I will give the person the dignity they deserve, run/caught and wants to fight that is a WHOLE different story.

If you can live with shooting someone on an accident more power to you. I have actually pulled a trigger and hit what I was aiming at and that is something you have to live with everyday for the rest of your life second guessing if there is anything you could of done differently to prevent it from happening. It is is a horrible thing to have to live with because once that hammer drops there is no taking the bullet back.

As for lawfully or unlawfully that was meant as a generalization for arrests, you fight an Officer you will lose and lose badly and those are charges you do not want to be facing. If you are willing to take your chances with a jury and see what happens when you freedom is on the line when it is something that could of been prevented is ludicrous.

I will give this one example that happened to me 'Radio Call' of man outside of apartment complex selling narcotics. We arrive and come in back of apartment complex and low and behold drug deal going on right in front of us. We ID ourselves and the guy bolts. We chase him, catch him and the fight is on. The guy is juiced on PCP the smell of ether was potent. It is my partner and I against this guy juiced, straight out of prison and yolked BIG TIME. The fight goes on for maybe 3 minutes, down to the ground, back to feet, run, tackle back & forth. At the end the guy goes to hospital, my partner dislocated knee and me with broken ribs. The case gets to the D.A. the D.A. drops all charges except fighting us. The guy is offered 5-7 years in prison, says 'nope I want to take it to the box (JURY)' found guilty and sentenced to make sentence 25 to life. I imagine he regrets not going with the 5-7, instead 3rd strike and a BAH BYE.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2012, 07:34:17 pm »
As I’m still not entirely sure the original intent of this thread, I’ve only been passively participating.  I guess I recognized that this would be one of those that should have died a premature death but because of its nature, just opened a box of emotions.

A relative new member sneaks in a controversial thread that most us recognize will cause heated words.  I’m now witnessing so many here that I care about and respect allowing this ignorant thread to cause hostility.

The OP recently joined and then started this to support us and offer his expertise?   
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2012, 07:42:50 pm »
I did not read the article but I am guessing the hispanic guy shot the black guy and the world ended.

He was a 17 year old black male who was walking back from a convenience store after buying some Skittles and some tea.  The only reason he was followed and cornered was because he was a black male.

I'm sure by your comment above you view the world as a better place when things like this happen.

Typical pig, oink oink!

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2012, 07:55:47 pm »
As I’m still not entirely sure the original intent of this thread, I’ve only been passively participating.  I guess I recognized that this would be one of those that should have died a premature death but because of its nature, just opened a box of emotions.

A relative new member sneaks in a controversial thread that most us recognize will cause heated words.  I’m now witnessing so many here that I care about and respect allowing this ignorant thread to cause hostility.

The OP recently joined and then started this to support us and offer his expertise?   

At this point I don't even care to read his history. 
I have actually pulled a trigger and hit what I was aiming at and that is something you have to live with everyday for the rest of your life second guessing if there is anything you could of done differently to prevent it from happening. It is is a horrible thing to have to live with because once that hammer drops there is no taking the bullet back.

How many doughnuts did you have to eat to drown your sorrows?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2012, 08:13:51 pm »

That's my entire point, HE doesn't have a history here.  Coming from a huge family of military and law enforecment family, I find most of his views idiotic and will not allow him the benefit of raising my blood pressure one point.

I personally will never allow someone who completed a six week academy course teach me the realities of anything.

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2012, 08:19:36 pm »

That is exactly why I started the thread to simply answer questions ones might have in regards to this realted to Police but out came the worms.

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2012, 08:24:27 pm »
He was a 17 year old black male who was walking back from a convenience store after buying some Skittles and some tea.  The only reason he was followed and cornered was because he was a black male.

I'm sure by your comment above you view the world as a better place when things like this happen.

Typical pig, oink oink!

As I said I have not heard about this case, not read about this case, watched no news coverage about this case BUT when a juvenile Black male is killed by someone of another race the world does end. When Blacks kills Blacks it is horrible and underreported. I would have some questions in regards to how that Hispanic got got bloody. I was simply stating the way the law is written is GBI (Great Bodily Injury) is defined by stitches and if you can argue GBI and had a legal right to be exactly where you were when that shooting takes place then that shooting will be justified, you might face charges but you will not be convicted because the law is their for your protection. If that hispanic guy was not legally in the place he was when that shooting took place then that would be a different story but that is not the case.

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2012, 08:27:54 pm »

How many doughnuts did you have to eat to drown your sorrows?

I did serve in the Military for several years Active duty and several years in the Reserves.

I have eaten my share of doughnuts in my lifetime but if I was to guess the last time I had one was maybe a year ago. I am quite addicted to surfing, running, yoga and eating Organic so I think making pastries a habit would go against everything I believe in.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2012, 08:29:43 pm »
That is exactly why I started the thread to simply answer questions ones might have in regards to this realted to Police but out came the worms.

From my history here in these forums, you might want to calm it down a bit because there are some strong personalities here.  I was initially confused why anyone would need to know what the police in our society do but after reading all the posts, everyone has their own viewpoints and I see nothing but a thread meant to incite.

I too didn't make a great appearance in these forums, but that was because I was AIDSY sick, but don't make the mistake of thinking.....oh well, I hope you got it by now.

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2012, 08:31:45 pm »
That's my entire point, HE doesn't have a history here.  Coming from a huge family of military and law enforcement family, I find most of his views idiotic and will not allow him the benefit of raising my blood pressure one point.

I personally will never allow someone who completed a six week academy course teach me the realities of anything.

The Academy is 7 months, I also rec'd my Masters of Science in Criminal Justice basically for promotion purposes only but left the Department to take advantage of the private sector.

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2012, 08:34:33 pm »
From my history here in these forums, you might want to calm it down a bit because there are some strong personalities here.  I was initially confused why anyone would need to know what the police in our society do but after reading all the posts, everyone has their own viewpoints and I see nothing but a thread meant to incite.

I too didn't make a great appearance in these forums, but that was because I was AIDSY sick, but don't make the mistake of thinking.....oh well, I hope you got it by now.

If you scroll up you will see the first initial posts were questions and answers, that was the intent of the thread. When invalid points are brought up I think it is only fair to address them. I do not expect anyone to accept my view points as their own.

Offline ds4146

« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2012, 10:13:28 pm »
I haven't watched the news or read a newspaper in years probably why I never heard of this story. I did not read the article but I am guessing the hispanic guy shot the black guy and the world ended.
You scare me. Years?

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2012, 04:50:01 am »
The teen was not fighting, nor running since he was in a house; he was simply trying to get to his bedroom, all the while telling the cops they had the wrong person. 

Are you saying that by his attempting to go to his room to stop a false arrest, that justifies the officers tasing him??

And here's the thing, I've seen it happen multiple times.  If a cop wants to arrest someone, they will come up with charges, whether or not those charges are justified.  A while back they sent 3 cops to (different) prisons because they were meat eaters, surely you're familiar with that term.  They were selling drugs they were busting other people for.  They would take so much out before they turned the drugs in as evidence, and sell them. 

We really don't know your background.  You say nothing dishonest ever happened in your department.  You were either blind, or taking part and don't want to admit it. 

Another thing, when giving advice on certain "laws," you do know laws differ from state to state, and county to county.  For instance, the county I live in, a person has to be arrested 3 times for shoplifting (criminal conversion) before it becomes a felony.  One county over, the very first time, even if it was just a pack of gum, it's a felony when someone attempts to steal something.  I realize there are similarities in laws, but there are also differences.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 04:56:36 am by BT65 »
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2012, 08:52:05 am »
Dear All,

Just a word of caution here to keep this particular pot from boiling over. I recognize the signs of when that is in danger of happening.

Express yourself if you want to but keep it non-attacking, please.

Thanks all  for your cooperation.
Andy Velez

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2012, 06:21:57 pm »
You scare me. Years?

Correct years, when I took an early retirement from the Police Dept. I stopped watching, reading and/or listening to murder, death, kill on the news or in the newspaper. I had seen enough first hand during my time with the PD.

My home is within walking distance to the Beach. I have quite a few pets so my free time is either spent with them or surfing, practicing yoga, skateboarding, beach cruising, cooking, creating art in my garage and volunteering with Beach cleanup organizations. At home I do not have a television nor do I have internet access. I do have a work cell phone but I do not own one of my own. The only computer I have is for work and the only time I am on my computer is when I am at work and basically killing time.

I have no desire to hear about what is going on outside of my circle of friends & family. I do not believe in facebook and all that jazz.

There is a great song by one of favorite artists:
Well, you win:
It's your show now,
So what's it gonna be?

Cause people
Will tune in;
How many train wrecks
Do we need to see?

Before
We lose touch, oh
And we thought this was low...

Well, it's bad,
Getting worse, oh
Where'd all the good people go?

I've been changing channels,
I don't see them
On the T.V. shows

We've got heaps and heaps
Of what we sow

They got this,
And that,
With a rattle-a-tat

Testing -
1, 2
Man, whatcha gonna do?

Bad news,
Misused -
Got too much to lose

Gimmie some truth now
Who's side are we on?

Whatever you say -
Turn on the boob tube,
I'm in the mood to obey

So lead me astray
And by the way, now -

I've been changing channels
I don't see them
On the T.V. shows

We've got heaps and heaps
Of what we sow

Sittin 'round,
Feelin far away,

yeah

So far away,
But I can feel the debris

Can ya feel it?

You interrupt me
From a friendly
Conversation

To tell me how great
It's all gonna be

You might
Notice
Some hesitation

'Cause

What's important to you
Is not important to me

Mm mm mm mm...

Way down
By the edge
Of your whole reason

Well, it's beginning to show
And all I really wanna know is

I've been changing channels
I don't see them
On the T.V. show

We got heaps and heaps
Of what we sow

(Where'd all the good people go?)
They got this,
And that,
With a rattle-a-tat

Testing -
1, 2
Man whatcha gonna do

Bad news
Misused
Gimmie some truth

You got too much to lose
Who's side are we on?

Every day
Every way
Okay -
Whatever you say

Run the resolute,
But in the mood
To obey

Station to station
Desensitizing
The nation

Goin, goin, gone...

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:40:03 pm by RemyG1971 »

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2012, 06:31:37 pm »
The teen was not fighting, nor running since he was in a house; he was simply trying to get to his bedroom, all the while telling the cops they had the wrong person. 

Are you saying that by his attempting to go to his room to stop a false arrest, that justifies the officers tasing him??

And here's the thing, I've seen it happen multiple times.  If a cop wants to arrest someone, they will come up with charges, whether or not those charges are justified.  A while back they sent 3 cops to (different) prisons because they were meat eaters, surely you're familiar with that term.  They were selling drugs they were busting other people for.  They would take so much out before they turned the drugs in as evidence, and sell them. 

We really don't know your background.  You say nothing dishonest ever happened in your department.  You were either blind, or taking part and don't want to admit it. 

Another thing, when giving advice on certain "laws," you do know laws differ from state to state, and county to county.  For instance, the county I live in, a person has to be arrested 3 times for shoplifting (criminal conversion) before it becomes a felony.  One county over, the very first time, even if it was just a pack of gum, it's a felony when someone attempts to steal something.  I realize there are similarities in laws, but there are also differences.

I was not there nor were you, we are both commenting on a situation that has been dissected & then reported.

I do not know what the Use of Force policy is for that Police Dept. but the Police Dept. in which I worked for that would not constitute the use of a Taser. On the Dept. I worked for the Use of the Taser was only for aggressive / combative or above; aggressive/combative is fighting stance or actually fighting.

As for the statement of False arrest, these are the facts:

Anyone that is being arrested by a police officer who feels it is wrongful can resist arrest. The person being wrongfully arrested can tell the officer that it is wrongful. Once that statement is made, the officer has to demand that the person present evidence that the arrest if wrongful. If evidence presented proves that the arrest is wrongful then the officer cannot lawfully arrest the person any longer. If no evidence is presented then the person being arrested must cooperate with police entirely. The resistance of arrest cannot be violent or harmful to the officer in anyway.

Once the arrest has been made, because there was no evidence presented, then the claim can be made again in the presence of a lawyer. Not all courts will allow the suspect to prove their claim because of the fear that the person will flee the area.

I have never heard the term meat eaters, I do not pretend that corrupt Police Officers do not exist I am saying that the unit in which I worked consisted of 30 guys. During that time the majority of the time is spent just you and your partner. I never observed anyone plant evidence or steal money.

As for Laws being different, I agree with that but they are basically the same and the attempt was to answer questions regarding such. The elements might be a tad different but what is a traffic violation in California is usually the same in Florida, was is Robbery in New York is usually the same in Oregon.

Offline zach

« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2012, 06:57:18 pm »
remy, i think you started this thread with good intentions. unfortunately some feathers got ruffled. some feelings were too sensitive, and a couple of your statements neatly encapsulate the undercurrent of tension that many people feel towards the police. and not sure where you're going with the song lyrics.

you lost me with your 2% line. the problem with that is its subjective to your viewpoint. you don't get to decide who is in the 2% of the population that its ok to treat like scum. i profile right into that 2%, cops don't seem to like me. never mind that i'm a military veteran.

its been my experience that a citizen exercising their rights in a police encounter is going to be challenged in a confrontational way.

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2012, 07:14:27 pm »
remy, i think you started this thread with good intentions. unfortunately some feathers got ruffled. some feelings were too sensitive, and a couple of your statements neatly encapsulate the undercurrent of tension that many people feel towards the police. and not sure where you're going with the song lyrics.

you lost me with your 2% line. the problem with that is its subjective to your viewpoint. you don't get to decide who is in the 2% of the population that its ok to treat like scum. i profile right into that 2%, cops don't seem to like me. never mind that i'm a military veteran.

its been my experience that a citizen exercising their rights in a police encounter is going to be challenged in a confrontational way.

The 2% figure is a term used by the City Council, the Mayor, The Police Chief, Community Activists & Officers. I do not believe you are part of the 2%. I do not believe you are selling drugs on the street, breaking into cars, homes, schools etc. that is the 2%. People assume that areas like South Central L.A. are areas of Los Angeles where if you walk down the street you will be robbed or something worse, the fact is those areas are occupied by hard working people raising families that are terrorized by the 2%. The 2% have gang injunctions filled against them and if they are on probation or parole are stopped, searched, questioned and if in violation arrested. When dealing with these people who self-admit to being gang members there is a zero tolerance policy meaning if there is a violation they will either get a ticket or go to jail 100% of the time.

As for the song lyrics, that is just a song that addresses why that artist also a fellow surfer no longer watches TV and/or listen to the news.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2012, 08:47:22 pm »
Just out of curiosity can you be a cop and be HIV positive? What we should do is change the arcane drug laws in America. Then maybe we wouldn't have the most prisons and prisoners in the whole wide world.

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #138 on: October 15, 2012, 08:59:09 pm »
Just out of curiosity can you be a cop and be HIV positive? What we should do is change the arcane drug laws in America. Then maybe we wouldn't have the most prisons and prisoners in the whole wide world.

You can be HIV+ and still be an Officer. You do not have to disclose to anyone and in some cases it is considered on duty related incident and will be covered by the Dept. 100% for the rest of your life.

As for the drug laws, I agree with 100%, the laws need to be changed, mandatory sentences need to removed. It is easier for someone underage to buy Marijuana or Cocaine than it is to buy cigarettes or alcohol and that is just insane. I support the legalization of all narcotics but that is a death sentence for a politician so chances are it will never happen.

Some reports indicate that 1/3 of the Mexican economy is supported by illegal drugs funds funneling back into the Country. If we were to legalize all narcotics in the United States and cut off the flow of drugs from South to North the United States would have a massive amount of people illegally crossing from Mexico to United States as the Mexican economy collapses.  I am very close to the border and a war is taking place there every day. Innocent people are being slaughter and something needs to be done ASAP. I believe legalization is the only course of action we have left.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 09:04:13 pm by RemyG1971 »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #139 on: October 15, 2012, 09:01:18 pm »

Remy, have you arrested anyone for possession for Marijuana?

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #140 on: October 15, 2012, 09:09:37 pm »

Remy, have you arrested anyone for possession for Marijuana?

The City in which I worked you couldn’t arrest someone for possession of Marijuana. The Watch Commander of Area Captain would never allow it.

I have never arrested anyone for simple possession of Marijuana.

I have arrested Gangsters for Possession for sales when I was working narcotic surveillance many years ago but that was exactly the job and really had no choice in the matter. Upon them being arrested and seeing some of the sentences handed down changed my view on ever doing that again. The last time I came across a Gang member who had a large quantity of Marijuana, I knew, he knew that he was in deep doo doo and the only way to get out of that HOT water was to give us someone BIGGER which he did and he was let go.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 09:13:38 pm by RemyG1971 »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #141 on: October 15, 2012, 09:16:00 pm »

How is the stuff you're smoking right now? Is it that primo stuff I read about in High Times?

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2012, 09:25:07 pm »

How is the stuff you're smoking right now? Is it that primo stuff I read about in High Times?

I do not use, I am a supporter of those who do. As of California resident I can state that getting a Rx card in this State is very easy but I do not believe anyone should have to possess a card to smoke something is a plant that was put on this Planet for a reason.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2012, 09:41:35 pm »
I do not use, I am a supporter of those who do. As of California resident I can state that getting a Rx card in this State is very easy but I do not believe anyone should have to possess a card to smoke something is a plant that was put on this Planet for a reason.

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=43991.0

Offline RemyG1971

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2012, 09:49:47 pm »
You did say smoking didn't you?

If you wanna get technical.... you did say you didn't use, right?  I suppose this is what you call a Clinton moment.

Offline zach

« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2012, 09:51:58 pm »
doh, should have remained silent remy. was wolfie right? we don't really know you. inconsistencies start small and pile up

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2012, 09:55:37 pm »
If you wanna get technical.... you did say you didn't use, right?  I suppose this is what you call a Clinton moment.

I am not silly enough to believe that the posts and/or responses cannot be reviewed by other members as I have searched out others posts as well. I should of phrased it better, I have nothing to hide about myself to anyone who wants to know. If you ask me any question I will never remain silent.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2012, 09:56:53 pm »
... nothing like being caught in a lie. Now where is my free donut?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2012, 09:59:12 pm »
... nothing like being caught in a lie. Now where is my free donut?

Since the theme of this thread seems to be how California is the center of the universe regarding all things law enforcement.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 10:03:03 pm by Solo_LTSurvivor »
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.