Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:45:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 369
Total: 369

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "The Age of AIDS" PBS Documentary  (Read 7223 times)

Offline tednlou2

"The Age of AIDS" PBS Documentary
« on: May 18, 2010, 11:46:04 pm »
I think this has been talked about before on here; however, I just watched the PBS documentary, "The Age Of AIDS" again tonight.  I believe it originally aired in 2006 and that's when I first saw it.

I thought for anyone who hasn't seen it, it is a very good documentary.  It is a 2 part special.  You can watch free and without the annoying ads below:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/video/flv/generic.html?s=frol02p6b&continuous=1

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: "The Age of AIDS" PBS Documentary
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 08:19:14 am »
It is an excellent documentary. Thanks for posting it.  I see an appearance by Peter Staley in segment 5 "A death gives AIDS a face" About 5 minutes in.  I've also seen this before.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 08:33:27 am »
Yes, very good. Thanks for sharing

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:15:00 am »
I love the PBS Frontline narrator guy's voice. 

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 08:11:12 pm »
Thanks for the link. I will definitely check this out.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 12:25:59 am »
Some impression I had from watching the documentary again:

The young guy who first tested the new triple cocktail and agreed to have biopsies of his tonsils and other tissues deserves a lot of respect.  I'm sure there are others that weren't profiled.

The political aspect--  It proves once again the dems aren't perfect, but they do try to help the poor and sick.  Clinton wasn't perfect, but was the first president to take it seriously.  And I realize Nelson Mandela did a lot for his country, but like Reagan he never talked about AIDS.  I wonder why he gets a pass on that.  Reagan ignored AIDS while going all ape-shit over "tainted" Tylenol.  Didn't that Tylenol scare turn out to be nothing?

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 01:03:54 am »
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline gemini20

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 03:29:48 am »
And I realize Nelson Mandela did a lot for his country, but like Reagan he never talked about AIDS.  I wonder why he gets a pass on that.

I think you'll find he's done a great deal!

"Former South African President Nelson Mandela has been instrumental in raising global awareness of HIV/AIDS. During his presidency (1994 to 1999) he was relatively quiet on the HIV/AIDS front, but he has since become a global voice in the fight against the epidemic.

His most prominent contribution is probably through 46664, the music-led HIV/AIDS awareness campaign named after his prison number during his imprisonment on Robben Island.

Mandela has financed various HIV/AIDS projects through the Nelson Mandela Foundation and Nelson Mandela Children's Fund ranging from scientific surveys to programmes for AIDS orphans.

On January 6, 2005, Mandela announced that his last surviving son, Makgatho Mandela, had died of an AIDS-related illness.

"Let us give publicity to HIV/AIDS and not hide it, because the only way of making it appear to be a normal illness, just like TB [tuberculosis], like cancer, is always to come out and say somebody has died because of HIV", Mandela said shortly after his son's death in an article published on CBS News Worldwide.

His most notable HIV/AIDS speeches include the closing addresses at the 13th and 14th AIDS conferences in Durban, South Africa, in 2000, and in Barcelona, Spain, in 2002."

I've been fortunate enough to be working with 46664 for the past year and so have first hand experience of the great amount of work being done on HIV/AIDS both in South Africa and worldwide.

Emma
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 03:33:17 am by gemini20 »
Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 12:28:08 am »
I am nearing the end of part 2 and I am so appreciative of this post. This was a very informative documentary. Quite sad to see the history of this virus and where we are today (very thankful but still baffled that we are only so far in conquering this).  I was just a child when Regan was in office and did not know much about his Presidency.  My god he was an ignorant bastard!!! It's disturbing.  Although I hate 99% of what GWB stands for, he did break some serious ground. Even though only 1B of the 15B promised went towards research, it is still quite remarkable.  This documentary has my own situation feeling quite thankful that I do live in America and have access to a daily supply of medicine in my own battle against this virus.  It makes me want to become more active. It makes me sad.  It just stirs up a ton of feelings.  This pandemic is still not in the forefront of issues like it should be.  As in many diseases, unless you are personally affected, many are ignorant.  I was ignorant of HIV too until I was infected.  This was just a moving documentary. Thanks. I will be forwarding this link to those close to me and hope they will become informed of this too.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 01:40:50 am »
I am nearing the end of part 2 and I am so appreciative of this post. This was a very informative documentary. Quite sad to see the history of this virus and where we are today (very thankful but still baffled that we are only so far in conquering this).  I was just a child when Regan was in office and did not know much about his Presidency.  My god he was an ignorant bastard!!! It's disturbing.  Although I hate 99% of what GWB stands for, he did break some serious ground. Even though only 1B of the 15B promised went towards research, it is still quite remarkable.  This documentary has my own situation feeling quite thankful that I do live in America and have access to a daily supply of medicine in my own battle against this virus.  It makes me want to become more active. It makes me sad.  It just stirs up a ton of feelings.  This pandemic is still not in the forefront of issues like it should be.  As in many diseases, unless you are personally affected, many are ignorant.  I was ignorant of HIV too until I was infected.  This was just a moving documentary. Thanks. I will be forwarding this link to those close to me and hope they will become informed of this too.

It is a very good documentary.  It is good to know how far we've come and who fought the fight.  It reminds me just how self-involved I was.  I got my first job in news at the age of 19 in 1996.  I remember seeing the story about the new meds; however, it didn't make any impression on me.  It should have.  I was in a high risk group.  I had seen a family friend die of AIDS in 1992.  I would have thought I would have been more interested in that awesome news.  I guess I was just young and too self-centered.  I think I thought HIV would never affect me.  I suppose many young people don't think too much about diseases or politics when they are 18 or 19. 

I would now like to see a documentary that follows newly infected people through their journeys.  I know when I was diagnosed, I was clueless about where to go, what tests I needed, what I needed to do to stay healthy, etc.  I remember looking for a documentary like this.  I didn't know what ADAP was.  I really didn't know much about CD4 cells or viral load info.  I'm looking forward to seeing the new documentary, "The Other City" about HIV in D.C.   

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 05:23:54 am »
Just a couple more thoughts......

I can't believe part of the Bush plan gives $1 Billion to abstinence education.  $1 Billion!!  When Clinton gave a grant for educating truckers in India about safe sex and condoms, the program said a study showed infection rates dropped by a third.  Abstinence education doesn't work.  And Sen Brownback (or Bareback) was so cruel in the way he said those countries could stop teaching condom use or not get the money.   

The doctor who talked about telling a patient he was probably going to die was very moving.  She said she will never forget the look in his face and eyes.  And, the little girl who asked the doctor why she is positive was very sad.  I kinda think that little girl was too young to be learning so much. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.