Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:11:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 218
Total: 219

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Another new med  (Read 12665 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Another new med
« on: March 25, 2014, 08:27:30 pm »
I had a bit of an issue yesterday and when I mentioned it to my doctor in passing today, he decided I needed another medication.

It is nitroglycerin.

As some of you know, I have battled lipids for some time, in part probably because of heredity, but also in part because of years of taking protease inhibitors.

I also have a strong family history of cardiac issues - on both sides.

I also smoked for 32 years.

Add all this together, and you have a good probability of cardiac issues.

Well, I have had a few episodes in the past, but didn't think much of them. They went away after a while and I went on with my life.

Yesterday, I had another episode: the crushing pain in the chest, that ran up to my neck and shoulders. This time, it was pretty poignant.

It happened while I was driving. I didn't lose control or anything, but it wasn't a pleasant drive.

I had trouble standing when I stopped. Not really bad, but trouble nonetheless.

OK, the doctor is probably overreacting. But, I now have a vial of nitro in my pocket and a date with a cardiologist and a stress test and ultrasound next week.

Getting older isn't for sissies, and neither is being an LTS.

Put them together and it is a royal pain at times.

But, it beats the alternative.

Onward and upward.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Another new med
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:45:57 pm »
I'm wishing you the best . Please take care of yourself we need you ya know .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 11:20:51 am »
Better to be safe dear Mark , so I am with the Doc on this one , so phone, keys, credit cards , pepper spray and Nitro all lined up in the Hall ready for your departures .  Pip-Pip-
m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline AusShep

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 11:41:00 am »
Glad you mentioned it to your Dr., best not take any chances.  I've had a couple of cardiac scares myself, they're no fun.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 12:45:40 pm »
Good luck with you upcoming tests Mark!
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 04:08:21 pm »

OK, the doctor is probably overreacting. But, I now have a vial of nitro in my pocket and a date with a cardiologist and a stress test and ultrasound next week.

Mark

Hi Mark,

In this situation it's probably best to overreact. Wishing you the best on the tests next week.

Getting older isn't for sissies, and neither is being an LTS.

Onward and upward.

HUGS,

Mark

You got that right Mark !

Take care of yourself----Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 04:39:30 pm »
Mark,

I am glad you are not ignoring your symptoms, and hope that your date with your cardiologist goes well.

Hugs,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 05:03:11 pm »
Wow, Mark.  That would have scared the crap out of me.  I'm glad your doctor gave you that nitro, since the episodes seem to be getting worse, don't they?

Good luck with the stress test etc. and I will be looking for updates. 

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 01:04:33 pm »
mark   so sorry  the  family  history is catching up  with you   but  pleased  you are  treating it  as the  obviously  very  correct  thing to  do......  I have similar  family history  (  heart problems, high BP, diabetes, breast  cancer, and high  lipids)   so far  have  kept  control of  all  but  the   diabetes  starting to  kick in..keep getting marginal test results,  looks like  starting  some  control with meds soon...

so  just add it to the  ritual  pill taking  and go on with life... you know there are dozens of us out there  praying,sending happy thoughts...

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline aztecan

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 12:41:15 am »
Well, the stress test/echocardiogram was done. I finished the full six or seven minutes on the treadmill.

I haven't seen any results as yet.

However, I almost didn't get to do the test. As I was being hooked up, they did a preliminary EKG.

Now, I am not typically too nervous, but I have to admit I was pushed a bit off center yesterday morning when they prepped me.

As the tech is reading the preliminary EKG, I hear her say, "Hmmm, that's not normal.

She then called the other tech, who was probing me with the echocardiogram thing and asked him to come look at the EKG read out.

They were trying to be quiet about it, but I hear him say, "That doesn't look right."

Of course, they wouldn't tell me what they saw.

They did turn around and tell just to relax and they they were going to have to show the EKG to the cardiologist before they could continue with the stress test.

OK, at this point, I am watching my blood pressure going up on the computer screen - without the need of getting on the treadmill.

So, I waited for about 20 minutes while both techs hightailed it out the door looking for the cardiologist.

I was finally given the green light to get on the treadmill. I still have no idea what is was they saw.

The only thing the first tech would tell me was, "I am not sure is this is a good not normal or a bad not normal."

Not reassuring.

So now, I am just waiting to see what the results were.

Oh what fun we have as we get a bit more seasoned.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline Theyer

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 06:57:29 am »
Well dear heart you did not need that sort off patronizing behaviour, the last time a similar thing happened to me I,m afraid I picked up the chart saying, I think you will find I have full copyright on my own body,

So lets get back you did the full test and am now awaiting the results , will they be delivered by your ID doc or at least a Doc you have a good relationship with . I am assuming there has been no more blips since the one you posted , the one while you where driving.

I am convinced that the people attracted to Radiology / any high tech testing are the ones with the worst inter personal skills. I reduced one Doc after a Cat Scan to stuttering by the heathen crime off asking questions .

lots off love
m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 06:47:04 pm »
Mark, wishing you the best on receiving the results of your tests.  I know how anxious the whole situation can make you.

And Theyer, gold twirl snaps on your bit about having "the full copyright on my own body". Fierce!
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline aztecan

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 11:56:20 pm »
Well, the results are back and the news is pretty good.

The doctor told me my heart function is better than 85 percent of men my age.

I guess that is pretty good.

Oh, the things the techs were looking at on my EKG turned out to be little additional beats my heart makes.

The doctor said it was more or less an extra flutter or two and not particularly worrisome.

So, that was good news, too.

We have no idea where the pains came from. I still think it has something to do with my back, but my doctor isn't convinced.

But, it isn't my heart, and for that, I am very grateful.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline Theyer

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 07:12:20 am »
That counts as good news Mark  , whatever caused the episode you did the right thing , On wards onwards . m

Offline mitch777

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 11:16:26 am »
That's great news Mark! Good to hear your heart is strong. It even seems to have enough strength to pound out a few extra beats.  :)

I've been through two cardio tests in the past 6 or 7 years due to odd pains but they found nothing either time. I still wondered what the cause was but I doubt I ever will.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 06:02:27 pm »
Glad everything is ok with the results.  With your severe lipid issues, did you Cardiologist check to verify you don't have any clogs happening?  I had those same crushing pains predating both of my heart attacks and continued on until I switched doctors.

Long story short, I had one artery with an approximate blockage of 90%.  After a simple procedure of installing a stint, I've not experienced any further pains.

Additionally, that's when I truly decided to deal with my horrid lipids and I now have them to optimal numbers.  It wasn't diet alone, as I tried experimenting with eliminating the pravastatin and saw an immediate decline in my numbers.  I've simply accepted that I'll remain on that statin.

hugs
greg
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline deibster

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 10:27:40 pm »
I'm glad your tests went well Mark. I also have cardiac issues on both sides of my family; I'm the only sibling who's not on blood pressure meds.
Big hugs, Deiby
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 04:50:32 pm »
Mark, I'm glad your test results are good!  Cardiac issues are no fun. 

Your heart (which is a heart of GOLD!) deserves to be healthy.

HUGS -- Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline LongTimeSurvivor

• I don'no...there may be Zombears...in theres...
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 09:54:45 pm »
Just wanted to say I have the same thing...extra beats. Doc says not to worry...only worry if you start missing some beats... ;D
Of course it's important. It's an email...

Offline aztecan

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 10:17:05 am »
When I received the usual copy of my records from the doctor (I always get a copy of the labs and such), they had added another new diagnosis to the list - angina pectoris.

From what I have read that means I had chest pains most likely related to blood flow to the heart.

I guess they had to put something in there after all the testing, etc.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline wolfter

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 10:26:48 am »
Does that simply mean they can't determine the cause of the angina attacks?

OH, and a huge ole happy birthday to you.  Hope you have a wonderful day buddy.

hugs
greg
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline aztecan

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 10:30:23 am »
Hey Wolfie,

Yes, I think that is pretty much what it means.

Oh, and thanks you!

HUGS,

Mark

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 10:30:31 am »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARK  !
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline aztecan

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 10:33:36 am »
Thanks, Jeff!

Offline mitch777

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 10:40:41 am »
Happy Birthday!  :)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 04:12:56 am »
Happy birthday Mark!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 08:56:03 am »
Just wanted to say I have the same thing...extra beats. Doc says not to worry...only worry if you start missing some beats... ;D

As they used to say on the old Dick Clark Show, American Bandstand: "It has a beat and you can dance to it!"   ;)

And Mark, Happy the Day you first tumbled out into the world and said "Hello Everybody!"   :D
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 02:17:20 pm »
Mark, I tried to read back through but don't see it:  are you taking carvedilol?

I nominate Coreg (carvedilol) as my "favorite" miracle drug. (yeah, the HIV meds are miracle drugs, blah blah blah, but they make you feel like shit and cause a ton of other problems).  Coreg REVERSED my Congestive Heart Failure!  When I was first dianosed in the late 90's, my Ejection Fraction was approx 20%.   Now, it is in the normal range, at about 55%.   It has never had any side effects (for me).

I have some mild angina, but it is very infrequent, and doesn't bother me too much.
Glad you have the nitro, it makes you feel better to have it around.  Mine is in a bottle, in a huge rubbermaid container, under my bed, with all my other meds.  Probably not so smart, huh?   :P

Love from Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline aztecan

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 09:06:07 pm »
Thank you all for the great wishes!   ;D

Hey Alan,

No, I'm not taking carvedilol, just the nitrostat.  I guess I really should get serious about dropping my cholesterol even further, but you know my history of doing that isn't all that great.

But, I will mention the drug to the doc to see what he thinks.

Thanks much!

BIG HUGS,

Mark

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.