Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:22:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 633
Total: 637

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Re: Lipoatrophy on the soles of feet:  (Read 10467 times)

Offline jm1953

Re: Lipoatrophy on the soles of feet:
« on: July 27, 2010, 10:59:05 pm »
Hey Members,

During the past year or so I have been going to the foot doctor for various reasons, facing some surgery in fact.  But in the past six he has seen a significant amount of foot atrophy in my soles both front and back.  It hurts to stand or walk for over an hour.  Plus I have other issues where I can only where clogs or flip flops because of an infection in my heal.

I've read some of the posts and found other people having the same problem.  My foot doctor says he has seen an increase of this with LTS folk. 

Last June I switched to a regimine of Prezista, Norvir, Emtriva, and Sustiva.  A few months later I began atrophy in strange places like my feet.  Wondered if there might be a connection.

Any comments greatly appreciated,

Jeff
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Re: Lipoatrophy on the soles of feet:
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 11:26:54 pm »
I first started to get lipoatrophy on the soles of my feet around '97 or so, after only 4 years of meds.  I would assume mine came from years of taking Zerit.  A few years later it had progressed to the point that I saw a podiatrist but at that point there wasn't so much knowledge of lipo except in the face and buttocks that she diagnosed me as needing surgery to alleviate pressure from what she saw as a lowered third metatarsal bone.  I never followed up on this though, and once it became apparent that I had lipo with my soles I thought maybe it was a faulty diagnosis.  Lately I've been considering having this reevaluated as my foot pain seems to be greatly increasing.  The soles of my feet are a never ending series of thick callouses.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 06:49:50 am »
Does anyone know of any studies about this phenomenon? It's the worst "side effect" that I have to deal with. Miss P I bought this device at da Rite-Aid to scrape off the callouses that provides some relief.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 09:41:04 am »
Miss P I bought this device at da Rite-Aid to scrape off the callouses that provides some relief.

Oh, I've been cutting them off with scissors for a decade (not hygienic I know) then using a pumice stone.  I bought a device at once time but it wasn't as effective, but if you think this is something new fangled I'll go look for it and see.  The callouses rebuild in 10 days.  It's honestly never ending, plus this all makes me walk on my feet incorrectly causing other pains, which then I can figure out what's from this and what's from PN.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 09:54:46 am »
I've been having a hell of a time with this problem lately.  I wore some of those rubber Croc-type shoes to the camp, to be out around the pool last weekend....I obviously kept them on and walked too much, with no socks....my left big toe is so sore I can hardly stand to touch it.

I have some of those Dr. Scholl's "custom" orthotics in my sneakers, but they don't do much for the toes...

Hugs, Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 10:08:26 am »
Oh, I've been cutting them off with scissors for a decade (not hygienic I know) then using a pumice stone.  I bought a device at once time but it wasn't as effective, but if you think this is something new fangled I'll go look for it and see.  The callouses rebuild in 10 days.  It's honestly never ending, plus this all makes me walk on my feet incorrectly causing other pains, which then I can figure out what's from this and what's from PN.

I don't know the name but you should be able to find it in the feet area of the store. It has a blue handle with a razor in it. You can't cut yourself because of the guard, but it is very effective in "shaving" down a callous. I use about every two weeks and it works!

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 10:30:26 am »
You know, I thought I was just imagining things when it seemed the soles of my feet were thinner than they used to be.

I used to be able to walk barefooted on gravel, etc., without a problem.

Now, I find it painful when I walk from the dressing room to the indoor pool at the gym, and it is just plain concrete.

Regarding the painful callouses, etc., along with the pumice stone, etc., I use an ointment containining emu oil. It seems to keep the feet from cracking and becoming as painful.

I get it at Target. It comes in a small jar with a blue lid and says Cracked Heels on it.

It really has helped me. It might be worth a shot for others in the same boat.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 11:01:45 am »
I cannot walk bare-footed, or stand on them bare-footed, for any length of time, but, I can wear shoes, that seems to help, my bare-footed days ended back in the the late 90s around 96 or so, and got even worse after the PIs, it hurts to stand up in the shower on the balls of my feet and heels of them too
maybe I should wear some Jap-flaps that might help some while in the shower, but, a HOT BATH feels so much better than a shower  ???
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 11:16:05 am »
I don't think I've ever seen this phenomena mentioned in any pozzie magazine article either.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 07:41:49 pm »

I have definitely  lost some of the padding on the bottoms of my feet. I was noticing this about three years ago. Just don't have the cushioning I used to have. Doesn't seem to be getting any worse either.

Fortunately, it's not to the point where there is constant pain.  I still do my mile walk a day, and can get through that with no problem. My legs actually feel better , when I am on the move.

The problems I seem to be noticing more, are around the ankles. Sometimes it feels as though, I have big ole rubber bands around the ankles, just squeezing...

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline jm1953

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 09:37:55 pm »
It seems this problem is more common than I thought based on your post.  Thanks for everyone's suggestions. 

Miss P, it does seem like there should be an article somewhere about this.  The only doctor of many that I go to that knows of this problem is my foot doctor who sees several HIV patients.  He actually said my feet are those of someone 20 years older than my actual age which is 57. Kinda scary.

Thanks again for your posts,

Jeff
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 07:06:37 am »
I bought this device at da Rite-Aid to scrape off the callouses that provides some relief.

If this is the "callous shaver," I have one of those also.  I use it every Saturday, on both feet.  My callouses get worse mainly on the balls of the feet, and for some reason, the bottoms of the big toe.  The shaver is basically a razor stuck between two pieces of metal.  I've more than once had to wrap a bandage around my toes, because of "shaving" too deeply. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline jm1953

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 08:52:20 pm »
This adverse effect is one of the most difficult, no easy fix. See the following:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:T3SzsTqUK70J:www.iom.edu/~/media/Files/Activity%2520Files/HealthServices/SSAHIVDisability/SSA%2520HIV%2520Meeting%25202%2520Presentations/Currier.pdf+lipoatrophy+on+the+soles+of+feet&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgPSZYZXc4MuwHJCiUHIM7o3ODLWxp8nc4uCE5fg8L-ZRyVDbFbnNVnhomjDDpBrMyrUjcl-g1FQqE-ZCVg4sBnWI9gVeoZwt5RyiLyxY9qoxWkWknMS3Hu2Oy8xpI6b_5aClJr&sig=AHIEtbSKDK3DscfT0qMJnd8wlYWBoq_7ag

http://www.retroconference.org/2006/Abstracts/26135.htm

I believe sculptra is being tested for use on the feet, at least in the UK.

v

This is very interesting as I have Sculptra treatments twice a year for my face.  Have since 2004.  I will run this by my foot doctor.  Makes sense to me!  I have had very good success with Sculptra.

Thanks for all the information.

As Miss P pointed out, a major study or article should be put out concerning foot atrophy as it seems many LTS people suffer from it. 

Many thanks,

Jeff

Offline veritas

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 05:50:49 am »

Glad to help Jeff.  I believe they lump all fat loss under lipoatrophy, the face gets top billing cause it's obvious. Yes there should be more about the feet due to the unigue issues concerning fat loss there.

v

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 09:52:43 am »
I have to say that the idea of sticking Sculptra in the soles of my feet is rather worrying -- when you do it in your face it's not like you'll be exerting force on that area all day long.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 01:27:57 pm »
Have had this issue since late 1990s  after a few years of  zerit and other oldmeds.... only "solution" is decent footwear...I found several  pairs of Sketcher brand shoes / trainers that have  just the right amount of cushion and flexibility   ...as for barefoot  can only do  soft carpet   even smooth wood floors are too much....My  Dr's both ID  and plastic surgeon  do not recommend any "fillers "for this condition

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline veritas

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 01:59:39 pm »

Nick,

Did your docs give a reason for not using them? A lot of women use it on their soles to relieve the pain from wearing high heels.

v

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 01:51:17 pm »
veritas  the Plastic surgeon said that the available "approved"  fillers were not appropriate for that application  ( Radiesse, Sculptra  and  the silicone )  he has had to "remove and repair several who tried it  so he wont do it in any "high impact" areas
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline aztecan

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 05:35:31 pm »
veritas  the Plastic surgeon said that the available "approved"  fillers were not appropriate for that application  ( Radiesse, Sculptra  and  the silicone )  he has had to "remove and repair several who tried it  so he wont do it in any "high impact" areas

I rather figured it might be something like that. It makes sense that injecting something like a filler into an area that is under a great deal of pressure and stress might not be the best idea.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline aztecan

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 05:36:00 pm »

I rather figured it might be something like that. It makes sense that injecting something like a filler into an area that is under a great deal of pressure and stress might not be the best idea.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline CitizenWill

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 10:42:04 am »
I have this problem to. Walking barefoot is a no, no these days. I practicly live in my Grandpa Simpson slippers.

I have also had those painful callouses for years. I have been using my Dremel tool to sand them off then slather up with lotion.

On really bad days I have even resorted to putting duct tape on them just for some relief. 

You do what ya gotta do.

I'll have to try out some of the other options mentioned.

Will
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:20:46 pm by CitizenWill »

Offline veritas

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 04:40:12 am »

Thanks for the info Nick. I was just wondering if it was an HIV thing, since some plastic surgeons do advertise such procedures for women with the high heal problem.

v

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.