Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:34:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 348
Total: 348

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What exactly is the definition of a suppressed immune system?  (Read 6263 times)

Offline Newguy

What exactly is the definition of a suppressed immune system?
« on: August 25, 2013, 09:42:41 pm »
Hi all

Driving me crazy with this definition. I read sometimes "HIV positive people with a suppressed immune system" I have HIV but is my immune system suppressed? I am on treatment and my CD4 is well over 500.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: What exactly is the definition of a suppressed immune system?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 10:01:11 pm »
Hi all

Driving me crazy with this definition. I read sometimes "HIV positive people with a suppressed immune system" I have HIV but is my immune system suppressed? I am on treatment and my CD4 is well over 500.

Arguably yours is not, but at least in determining immune health, my clinic uses the lowest recorded CD4 count to determine whether a person should take the precautions aimed at "suppresed Immune System" folks. So in that case I will likely always qualify.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 05:13:16 am »
Generally speaking, a "suppressed immune system" due to hiv is when the CD4s are under 200 - the threshold under which a person should be on antibiotic prophylaxis to prevent certain OIs, such as PCP pneumonia.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Rhaegar

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 07:16:10 am »
Arguably yours is not, but at least in determining immune health, my clinic uses the lowest recorded CD4 count to determine whether a person should take the precautions aimed at "suppresed Immune System" folks. So in that case I will likely always qualify.

So, even if your CD4 count improves to a presumably normal level they would still keep you on prophylactic medications?
05/19/2011: Diagnosed.  CD4 159   VL 284,000.
04/29/2013:  CD4 789,   VL <20

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 07:30:57 am »
So, even if your CD4 count improves to a presumably normal level they would still keep you on prophylactic medications?

A person can normally go off antibiotic prophylaxis when they've had CD4s over 200 (some doctors prefer 250) for at least six months to a year, again depending on the doctor and also the patient. A patient who actually had an OI while their CD4s were low might be kept on the prophylaxis for longer than one who didn't.

Most treatment guidelines are "rule-of-thumb" and not really a one-size-fits-all rule - hence being called "guidelines" and not "rules". Each patient's individual circumstances (including living circumstances) and health history needs to be taken into consideration when treatment issues are being decided.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 09:03:56 am »
Generally speaking, a "suppressed immune system" due to hiv is when the CD4s are under 200

I disagree, it means either (1) under 350, or (2) under 500 or (3) under normal range for you location (400-500).

In the context of immunisation advice, it may mean under 200, but this is probably because the guidelines/evidence used is older.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline moxieinme

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 10:16:17 am »
My understanding was that a compromised immune system was defined by NIH standards as one or more of the following:
1) A CD4 count below 350
2) A CD4 percentage below 14
3) A detectable viral load

When your CD4 count is 350 cells/mm3 or less, it’s time to consider treatment. A CD4 count of fewer than 200 cells/mm3 is one of the qualifications for a diagnosis of AIDS.

I agree that the nadir (lowest) CD4 count recorded for a person dictates how much leeway they have in things like treatment interruptions. For someone like me, who has had an OI and CD4s in the double digits, a treatment break is not an option.

But I'm also really curious about CD4 percentages, and just asked a friend about this recently. It's one of the AIDS-defining factors but I hear so little about it from people. I've had low percentages, but fortunately they're creeping up. What are people's experiences with CD4 percentages vs. actual CD4s and viral loads? Is this truly another indicator of immune system health?
Salvage therapy wrangler, riding the poz bronco and dodging bullets for over 24 years.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
CD4 at diagnosis 1989 = 330
Began treatment (AZT) 1989
Lowest labs 1998: CD4=74, 7%, VL=750,000
First sustained undetectable VL in 20 years (2009); CD4=315
Current labs (12/13): CD4=637, 27%, VL=<20
Current meds: Prezista, Isentress, Intellence, Norvir

Offline aaware72

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 10:20:20 am »
I agree I been told different answer to this question.  How it was explained to me  is that years ago if someones CD4 cell were below 200 you then had AIDS if it was over 200 you had HIV.  My ID doctor tells me this is no longer used.  However when I was first found out I was positive my CD4 count was 230 and my ID did not want to give me any vaccination until my CD4 was up over 400 over several months. 
"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 06:30:16 pm »
This is actually an interesting topic. I honestly never gave it much thought until I read this post. Just today I wrote, on a medical form prior to her MRI, that Mim is "immune compromised".  However, according to the definitions discussed here and her recent numbers, she isn't.  I assumed that HIV always equaled a compromised immune system. But now I'm reading that it doesn't.

Huh!  After 13 years of living with HIV, I'm still learning something new.

Mum

Another thought: I hope I'm not the only one who does this, but I usually write "immune compromised" so I don't have to write HIV+.  If her HIV is an issue or thought to be related to the issue to be discussed, then of course I include that she's HIV+.  However, on tests like her DEXA, MRI, EKG, EEG, etc., I figured "immune compromised" would suffice.
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Newguy

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 09:46:13 pm »
Hi everyone

This question drives me nits regading "compromised immune system". Last year people close to me took time off work because of flu and sickness, multiple cold sores on peoples lips and the guy with the "compromised immune system" had none of this. It seems everyone around me was sick except me. So that is why I asked. I am not satisfied with the medical terminology used in this example as it can sometimes lag current realities.

Best

Offline JungleJungle

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 03:04:45 am »
Maybe (i am just guessing) you are on ART and it gives you extra protection against viral infections (flu, herpes and all that stuffs are just viruses)... The meanest problem with immuno deficiency are OI like tubercolosis and pneumonia that are caused by bacteria and mycotic infections
Just my point of view...
You need coolin', baby, I'm not foolin',
I'm gonna send you back to schoolin',
Way down inside honey, you need it,
I'm gonna give you my love,
I'm gonna give you my love.

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 11:09:34 pm »
Maybe (i am just guessing) you are on ART and it gives you extra protection against viral infections (flu, herpes and all that stuffs are just viruses)... The meanest problem with immuno deficiency are OI like tubercolosis and pneumonia that are caused by bacteria and mycotic infections
Just my point of view...

Yeah, but I don't think influenza or herpes virus use reverse transcriptase, which is what, in the case of Atripla for example, is what's inhibited by ART. They also don't use integrase as far as I'm aware. So, no dice there.

Maybe we don't get sick as often because we see doctors regularly whereas most people don't, and we all get our flu shots. ;)
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 12:26:07 am »
I rather think those of us on treatment tend to monitor our health better than the average person, and are less likely to get routine colds. Though for some of us, whose CD4s have been ravaged and might never fully recover, GETTING one of those nasty bugs is a much bigger deal. I know I have become a lot more paranoid, especially in public and especially during flu season.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Newguy

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 05:54:40 pm »
Yeah, but I don't think influenza or herpes virus use reverse transcriptase, which is what, in the case of Atripla for example, is what's inhibited by ART. They also don't use integrase as far as I'm aware. So, no dice there.

Maybe we don't get sick as often because we see doctors regularly whereas most people don't, and we all get our flu shots. ;)

You are correct about reverse transcriptase ( a super cool enzyme by the way), however I think I read somewhere that integrase shares a lot of 3-D structure/homology with terminase found in many of the Herpes family viruses?

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 06:33:50 pm »
You are correct about reverse transcriptase ( a super cool enzyme by the way), however I think I read somewhere that integrase shares a lot of 3-D structure/homology with terminase found in many of the Herpes family viruses?

That's amazing because I mostly just make shit up.

Tell us more about what makes reverse transcriptase super cool. I was taking an online virology course, but I dropped it because I had things to do. As a result, I know nearly nothing about reverse transcriptase.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.