Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:52:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 233
Total: 234

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Major celebrity to announce he's HIV positive  (Read 8703 times)

Offline ChaplinGuy

• Eat my left foot
Major celebrity to announce he's HIV positive
« on: February 22, 2007, 11:49:21 am »

I thought that'd get everyone's attention.

But the reason for this post is to ask a question:

Given all of the medical advances and public exhaustion on the issue of HIV/AIDS, do you think an announcement from a celebrity that they are HIV positive today would have an impact? In other words, if some of the known high riskers (drugs, sex) of today's pop-culture (Lyndsey Lohan, Colin Ferrell, Pam Anderson, etc) disclosed tomorrow, would it be as relevant as it was with Magic Johnson, Arthur Ashe, or Greg Louganis?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Major celebrity to announce he's HIV positive
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 11:56:30 am »
Yes, it would have an impact.  But perhaps not as big as when Magic announced.  That was a feeding frenzy.  Also would depend on who it is.  Like, imagine Brad Pitt announcing he was HIV+

ps:  have you seen Brad on the cover of the new Interview.  Still looks fab in his 40's!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 12:07:35 pm »
I think it's well past time for one of them to come forward.   I'm stunned it's been what 15 years since anyone has.  However, I have no idea who this Ashe person is.

Pam's already told everyone she has Hep., or well does she?  She made sort of a mess out of that.

I think it depends on the celebrity.   I don't know what that other post was about Kelly Osborne outing some relative or whatever.

We all know that there have to be celebrities with HIV .   You'd think at least one of em would have the Balls to come forward by now.

And for all Magic does he's really not on tv much.  All anyone cares about is Africa so I guess it probably wouldn't make the impact now.

I think Britney Spears or one of the other trashy starlets could make a huge impact.   
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 12:12:46 pm »
My first question would be would we want this person to disclose, would it simply connect the dots between a 'certain' lifestyle and sero-conversion which, in the case of Magic, was anything but the case for the most part.  And since we can't get one obvious gay pop singer to follow Michael Feinstein or one actor to admit that he is even gay, what are the chances?  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 12:21:12 pm »
However, I have no idea who this Ashe person is.

He was an African-American professional tennis player.  From Richmond.

Won Wimbledon men's singles in 1975.

He got HIV from a blood transfusion he needed to have for heart surgery and died from AIDS-related complications in 1993.

The City of Richmond put up a statue of Arthur Ashe in 1996 on Monument Avenue.  To date, he's the only person not associated with the Confederacy to be so honored by Richmond. 

Unfortunately, the statue is poorly designed and is something of a joke around here... namely, that it looks like he's beating those kids with a tennis racker.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 12:27:07 pm »
My first question would be would we want this person to disclose, would it simply connect the dots between a 'certain' lifestyle and sero-conversion which, in the case of Magic, was anything but the case for the most part.  And since we can't get one obvious gay pop singer to follow Michael Feinstein or one actor to admit that he is even gay, what are the chances?  Win

LOL @ the beatings Benj.

But Win you are correct.   It's pretty much got to be a white woman or someone empathetic and innocent like Dolly Parton?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 12:29:42 pm »
You mean the lead singer of Erasure didn't count?

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 12:35:17 pm »
LOL @ the beatings Benj.

How ironic ???.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 12:37:47 pm »

My thoughts exactly, Win.  George Michael (the UK singer, not the sporscaster) coming out as HIV+ would reinforce the perception of Gay men as promiscuous and deservedly diseased.  Similar situation with any of the rehab entrants du jour, even if they are female and heterosexual--it would just feed the negative image of people with addictions.  Then again, the days of transfusion-related transmission are gone, so it becomes a question of someone who can talk openly about their risk behaviors and what s/he could have done differently, e.g. use condoms or clean needles.

As for Pam Anderson, I thought she was out already as hep C-positive, though "it was from a tatoo needle."

Ummm, no.... really old news for me; and <donning flame-retardant suit> the current pop culture just translates it as "another one [fairy] bites the dust."
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 12:39:15 pm »

Interesting point Philly.   I'd forgotten about him.   Hmm, I haven't seen much media coverage about him other than a bit on the LOGO channel.

I think Win's point was it'd have to be someone with credibility that doesn't fit the typical stereotype.  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 12:41:11 pm »
I'm convinced George Michael is.  Even if he's not he's a big ole fucking tired drug mess.

Offline Val

• Praxitèles -- Satyre au repos
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 12:55:42 pm »
Well, his boyfriend died of AIDS complications just some years ago...!

Val
___
___
P.S. I love G.Michael
Arthus Bertrand
http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/yann2/affichage.php?reference=TVDC%20YABFR084&pais=France
Ali Mahdavi
http://asyoudesireme.online.fr/index.htm
Richard de Chazal
http://www.richarddechazal.com/
Daniel Nassoy
http://www.danielnassoy.com/pages/galeries_portraits_2.html
Photography:
The word comes from the Greek words φως phos ("light"), and γραφίς graphis ("stylus", "paintbrush") or γραφή graphê, together meaning "drawing with light" or "representation by means of lines".

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 02:50:57 pm »
And don't forget ....someone famous could always be unlucky enough to get HIV by cutting themselves on a piece of glass, right?  At least that's what I have heard is one of the common transmission risks.
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 03:06:09 pm »
Honestly, it wouldn't impact me at all, why should it? I'm not trying to be a bitch or anything but why is it so special? It's not like someone famous is gonna come to my crib and wanna know my experiences. Maybe if someone famous get infected they will think about those here in the States that need help. I agree with Wesley on that even though I don't have an issues with the Red Campaign. It states who they are helping. But what about some celebs starting some charity here at home.

(who is kinda emotional today)
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline med forum

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 03:10:42 pm »
I think that it would continue to tell society that anyone can get this.....would it be different than when Magic came out, yeah it would be but I think we would continue to put HIV and AIDS in the forefront. I definitely think that there needs to be more people of celebrity status either coming out and/or taking a stand.
Look at what Bono has managed to do......granted I think he needs to put a little bit more emphasis on
the problem here in the US.....but that's a whole other thread....

I'm curious what more people think about this
Peace & health

Offline zeb

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 06:36:45 pm »
Well, it would make (some) difference I think. Though I hope nobody gets infected.

So I think it would be a better idea when someone already hiv positive would become a celebrity.

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 11:48:32 pm »
You'd think at least one of em would have the Balls to come forward by now.

Why?  If a person famous or otherwise chooses not to disclose that decision should be respected.  it doesn't mean they don't have the balls.

If a celeb announced he or she was HIV+  it would get its 15 minutes of fame and then be replaced by Brittany's or Paris' next caper. 

I think what has more relevancy is for any HIV+ person to tell their friends and family.  Only by more of us coming "out of the HIV closet" will the stigma of being HIV+ change.  Just last night I told my minister, she said that I was the first person she had ever known that was HIV+ and she was glad I had shared my status with her.

Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 12:01:42 am »
That what HIV needs, a new celebrity endorsement.

I would feel so much better about myself if I knew Ryan Seacrest had HIV. There would be tearful interviews on Oprah, shocking E! exclusives about who gave it to him and a Time magazine cover stories on the millions of Americans that walk among us who have HIV. There would be an outpouring of support, Paula would cry... again, and Simon might even give Ryan a hug, which would be shown ad nauseam in slow-mo on every news channel. Everyone loves Ryan and therefore everyone would love me. Because somehow Ryan Seacrest having HIV matters but Alanbama or Queen Akasha or Matty (who isn't even American) having HIV doesn't.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 12:07:34 am »
Why the hell do they need to be infected to talk about it?
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 12:10:22 am »
Crap like that irritates me. And yeah, I am probably more irritable these days, but the culture of celebrity is such a turnoff.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 01:18:39 am »
Elton John talks about HIV all the time. He rocks....but that's his job to rock.
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 08:47:34 am »
I was never into Elton's music but he DOES rock.

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 09:02:45 am »
i think if someone like PARIS HILTON came out and said that she was hiv+,people would be startled and it would be a headline for days just like ANNA NICOLES' DEATH.IN THE END people would be none the wiser.in my opinion i would love for paris hilton to get infected!!

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 09:04:58 am »
ELTON JOHN IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF A CELEBRITY THAT  IS HIV+.HE HAS DONE GOOD WORK IN THE BATTLE TO FIND A CURE !

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.