Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:31:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 323
Total: 326

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What is a Disability Queen?  (Read 14679 times)

Offline BUZZCUTT

What is a Disability Queen?
« on: November 16, 2008, 12:35:01 pm »
Hi Everyone!

I think i kinda know what this means - i have recently been diagnosed with aids - my doctor has discussed going on disability, i dont know if this is the route i want to take - i work full time and some days are better then other days heath wise.  I recently found your website while researching my meds and have been reading lots of the posts.  Can a person go out on disability with a diagnosis of Aids?  and why do they call them disability queens?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 01:22:02 pm by BUZZCUTT »
Buzz ♥

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: What is a Disability Queen?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 12:42:42 pm »
A "disability queen", in my opinion, is a derogatory term used to describe people whose health has led them to have to seek out public assistance in order to pay for essentials needed to stay alive.

It is nearly always spoken by people who don't know how good they've had it.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 01:00:34 pm »
and why do they call them disability queens?

Who exactly is "they"?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 01:27:56 pm »
I've never heard that term before but it sounds like a derivative of the old slur "welfare queen". I wouldn't use either term.

I was also told to go on disability, didn't do it, wouldn't unless I had no choice.

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 01:35:42 pm »
I feel the same as you GSO - I work for a major entertainment company and deal with guests daily which i think is good for me but there are some days where i just dont feel like i can go on - but some how manage to drag myself out of bed and go - I havd FMLA which helps for the days that i cannot make it to work.
Buzz ♥

Offline SoSadTooBad

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 02:20:30 pm »
Buzz - I would go on as long as you can without going on Disability.  Tune out any disparaging terms that people may say - there is nothing luxurious or glamourous about being on disability, and anyone who uses the term "Disability Queen" is likely beyond fortunate without even realizing it - as thunter34 points out.

Is there a specific health issue that is causing you to feel like you can't go on?  Perhaps it is worth digging into a little further in any case, because your quality of life is important whether you work or not.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 03:16:39 pm »
Buzz - I would go on as long as you can without going on Disability.  Tune out any disparaging terms that people may say - there is nothing luxurious or glamourous about being on disability, and anyone who uses the term "Disability Queen" is likely beyond fortunate without even realizing it - as thunter34 points out.

Is there a specific health issue that is causing you to feel like you can't go on?  Perhaps it is worth digging into a little further in any case, because your quality of life is important whether you work or not.

It's been 10 yrs. for me and yes ,  there is nothing luxurious or glamorous about being on disability, not when my income was reduced to about 150% to 200% below the Federal Poverty line, I used to make good money, so, I agree, if you can keep working ( to keep your good income & keep your health Ins.)
do it no matter what it takes............being on disability is NO panic, and NO party  ??? for those of you who don't know what it's like to be on disability......... I find that term "Disability Queen" loathsome  >:(
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 03:21:18 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 04:18:56 pm »
Hi Everyone!

Can a person go out on disability with a diagnosis of Aids?  and why do they call them disability queens?

Welcome to the Forums,

I have never heard the term before but, I would find it insulting unless, I was using the term to describe myself.

Personally, I wouldn't be in a huge rush for disability.  During the first year, when you are on State Disabilty, you can almost live a normal life.  Then, SSI or SSDI becomes your sole means of support.  I remember, losing my job, the insurance and having to survive.  I was on a 2 year waiting list, to get on the waiting list for housing support (Section 8).  After nearly 5 years of waiting, I got approved if I moved.  I did move over 500 miles away for a free house which belonged to my family and when they sold that place, I did not qualify for housing assistance because my disability income (at 100% below poverty level) was $10.00 per month too high.  You have to be creative to get the things you need to survive on disability.

Then there are all the rising costs for utilities, energy, gasoline and food.  In some, but not all communities there are available vouchers and charity programs, having a job is always better.  Funding for HIV services is being cut, while the cost of those services keep rising.  You don't know what your circumstances will be in your living situation or your health concerns will be in 5 years.

This is an excellent time to start planning.  Get out of any debt you may have, save some money, start looking for affordable healthcare... There is a long list and it is all better than being on disability.  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 04:52:45 pm »
Like the others' replies, disability is just that.  It gives you the ability to long for a body that will work an 8 to 5 job, but in the end, the body always fails you.  Of all the things in life I miss the most is the ability to go to work every day and make a living that will produce the kind of money I am/have been used to in the past.  Alas, reality bites and I just cannot do that anymore.

I've been on it since 1995 and had no problem getting it, and was approved in a day.  However, today it is alot different and actually getting SSDI is quite a challenge in itself.  Outside of being wheeled in on a gurney, I wouldn't even contemplate it.  Your doctor is correct; in that you just about have to have full AIDS or else they won't approve.

Then the last thing is the money.  I used to make a fine salary back in 1987 when I quit my job at Eastman Kodak to go out on my own and start a business.  Then I applied for SSDI in 1995 and almost missed the grace period from 1987, but then the angels of ignorance stepped in and I got it with the regular three month wait.  I now take home less than a third of what I was making in 1987, which in this day is no picnic, but certainly a lot more money than many make on SSDI, so I would advise to wait as long as your body will take working a full time job.  Also, your therapy will take hold in time and your body will more than likely rebound to far better health and then you would be in a fix if you had to return to work and loose all your chances of ever getting it again.

just my thoughts, and welcome to the forums.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 06:19:08 pm »
Whomever is calling people names such as "disability queen" - ignore "them". 

Geez, as if people with AIDS don't have enough challenges...

I pray my ID is correct when he promised me "normal life" will continue.

I am sorry that you find yourself in this situation. I agree with most here - you should do everything possible to get the best medical care to try to become strong to work again, or continue working without stopping.  If you need the money and like the work and colleagues and purpose, that is. 

If you have plenty of friends, plenty of money, plenty of social support - hell - go ahead and stop working and do what you want.

Disability queen sounds so insulting.....
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline weasel

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 08:16:26 pm »
Sorry Virginia , THERE IS NO DISABILITY QUEEN !

I have never heard this term ,I would assume with 2 million people in las Vegas
when I lived there chances are i would have heard any and all derogatory terms !

I have been on disability for ONE year YEY !

I am very lucky  the Veterans Association pays ALL of my mediacal and HIV MEDS  :)

Our home is new  and paid for  :)

If I had one wish ?

Make me better so I could go to work and work 40-50 hours a week and regain
my self worth ,that is in the dumps !

I survive on one quarter of what I took home !

The money part ,well  i have heat and electric  and scrunch to pay insurance bills .

You MUST be true to your self ! If you can work and not suffer ,GOD bless you !

But for those of us that can not at times even leave the toilet for days ,
or are so depressed , week , painfully falling apart , Why would anyone insult us with
another slur ?????????????????????

I recently had a relative make reference to welfare , I point blankedly told them
to go "f" them selves .

karl , no queen of any sorts  ::)

" Live and let Live "

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 08:23:26 pm »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 08:27:33 pm »
btw, here's a good write up that comes from some community meeting in San Francico at the end of 2005:

‘Disability queens’

While the evening was energetic, one invited panelist’s absence
overshadowed the event. Jeff Sheehy, UCSF AIDS Research Institute
communications director and Mayor Gavin Newsom’s AIDS policy adviser,
objected to the term “disability queens.” Sheehy declined his
invitation, calling the forum topic, “What do we think of disability
queens?” a way to replace a doctor’s objective diagnosis with what he
views as judgment. He questioned whether the topic was part of a health
department agenda instead of a community-initiated topic. The SFGMCI
was started by people who work for the Department of Public Health.

“Deciding the health status of another individual is not a subject for
community debate,” said Sheehy. “What is the relevance of that question
to community building? We’re passing judgment on people living a life
of medical duress,” whose condition is defined based on specific
criteria and circumstances - serious opportunistic infection or
progression to full-blown AIDS and CD4 counts under 200.

A
vibrant-looking gay man may have “a carefully calibrated lifestyle that
preserves their physical resources,” said Sheehy in his RSVP to
SFGMCI’s Doug Sebesta.

Addressing misconceptions, debunking myths, and changing attitudes results from open dialogue, countered Sebesta.

“As one panelist said, it’s the elephant in the room that everybody
makes reference to,” said Sebesta, a DPH epidemiologist. “Whether in
jest, whether or not it’s based on fact or not fair, it’s out there.
Who is hanging out in the Castro during the day - the Starbucks boys.”

Disability queen is an inflammatory, derogatory label for many people
living and struggling with HIV, agreed Sebesta. “But, there are many
healthy people who get to hang out.”

The DPH staff who
brainstormed the forum’s topics included Frank Strona, the recently
deceased Mike Pendo, and Sebesta, who noted they’re all longtime
members of the gay community.

Sometimes called “AIDS
exceptionalism,” the disability queen label is potentially
stigmatizing, implying taking advantage of the system, said Klausner,
who noted that PWAs fought for their resources and are still
underserved in areas such as financial support and housing.

Offline weasel

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 08:40:19 pm »
some terms should just DIE

night night

going to bed tired

love to all  :-*

karl

" Live and let Live "

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 08:49:50 pm »
Bit early for bed, no?  Plus the Wizard of Oz is on TBS!

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 10:49:51 pm »
Absolutely everyone has cover this song so, we can sing it together without being sued for failure to pay royalties.  If we change the words from "Mississippi Queen" to "Disability Queen" the lawyers may be calling about plagiarism.  We don't want that to happen.

Mississippi Queen

Mississippi Queen, If you know what I mean
Mississippi Queen, She taught me everything
Way down around Vicksburg, Around Louisiana way
Lived a Cajun lady, We called her Mississippi Queen
You know she was a dancer
She moved better on wine

While the rest were'a gettin their kicks,
Buddy, beg your pardon, I was gettin mine!
(blah, blah, blah)

You sing the lead, I'll sing the Blah, blah, blah's  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 04:32:55 am »
Hmmm, and what is wrong being a Queen? Just kidding, I wouldn't like it put that way either but I am always a Queen no matter what and I take pride in that.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Gary85741

• Native Virginian living in Tucson AZ
    • Good guy, good heart
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 08:36:15 am »

Then there are the personals ads in which a writer will state "you must be employed."  And these are from--you guessed it--HIV and POZ personal sites no less.  Maybe we should ask THEM what 'disability queen' means as I'd bet they would have some sort of answer, naive as it would be.

Gary
Poz since '89. 
Current regimen: Rescriptor, Emtriva, Kaletra, Invirase, Acyclovir, Lisinopril, Lipitor, Prilosec, Valium, Testim, Nandrolone, Loperamidr, Marinol.

Offline weasel

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 09:55:34 am »
New day  :) ,

hey Philly , I get up at 6-7 am Central time , work on house
                 try to get something done .
                 I am sort of not amused with looking at 2x4's and unfinished rooms  :o

I LOVE QUEENS  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

My comment on ,no queen of any sort was  rude and untrue ,
               I was tired ! It was directed at the term " Disability Queen "

I have been warned by Peter Staley ,If a topic sends me to the MOON .
               JUST back off and turn off computer ! Do NOT be baited .
             ****   This is not a quote ,but the general idea Peter had told me ****

I see no need to offer any credability <sp> to the term "disability  Queen "
               What purpose does it serve ?

I tend to like most people ,unless they prove they do not deserve my
               life in theirs !

Rude , crude , ugly terms of   UN-endearment are not part of my vernacular .

I will NOT  let them live , let sleeping dogs  lay ,and maybe they will wonder off
                  and be forgotten ............................................

love to all ,

Bob and I are off to buy house plants , because  we have
                                      Nine Million lady bugs in the house ,and they need a home  :)

Karl  :-*
" Live and let Live "

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 11:37:32 am »
Thank you everybody for the warm welcome and advise and support - I will continue to work as long as I am able - I have FMLA for the days I cant get out of bed  :-\

I put disability in the search field of this website and it brought up a ton of articles on disability queens however i could not open the articles to read them

Hey Sono I like your Mississippi Queen song.
Buzz ♥

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 12:09:46 pm »

I put disability in the search field of this website and it brought up a ton of articles on disability queens however i could not open the articles to read them

Honey, some of us are on disability here -- we already indicated that this term is derogatory so why do you insist on still using it?

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 01:25:29 pm »
Philly, I was just stating that is where I came up with the question.  I was just searching for information on disability.  I do not use any derogatory terms and did not mean to offend anybody with this question.
Buzz ♥

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 04:51:59 pm »
I think i kinda know what this means

I think it is an insult, pure and simple.  Some people almost seem jealous of people on disability. But I can't imagine why -- from accounts I've heard here, it's no picnic.   I think some people believe others are getting special treatment that they are not getting, but disability doesn't sound so "special" to me (well, at least not "special" in a good way).

It's easy to make arms-length judgements about whether someone should or should not receive disability.  You really have to have all the facts / history / background to be able to make that decision.  I'm sure our government is not perfect at making these decisions.  But neither do I think the granting of disability totally capricious, or excessive.  Though I wouldn't be surprised if someone wished to argue this.

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 06:35:33 pm »
Hey Sono I like your Mississippi Queen song.

Much Thanks.  I like the song too but, we do have our own real Queen here, Queen Tokelove reigns supreme and all other Queens are merely Impostor Queens  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 06:48:52 pm »
we do have our own real Queen here, Queen Tokelove reigns supreme and all other Queens are merely Impostor Queens  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

*snap, snap*.....I'm glad someone knows the deal, there can be only one Queen around these parts!!!! But our lovely forum does have it's share of divas, *paging Ms. Philicia*. Everyone else is part of my royal court but this Queen wouldn't be who she is if it wasn't for my Ladies In Waiting who puts up with me in the Women's Forum.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline weasel

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 08:00:53 pm »
GOD save the Queen  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

You are the prettiest Queen i have seen .

Much love ,reign Surpreme honey  :-* :-* :-*

karl , glad we have a pretty leader  :)
" Live and let Live "

Offline denb45

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 10:09:42 pm »
*snap, snap*.....I'm glad someone knows the deal, there can be only one Queen around these parts!!!! But our lovely forum does have it's share of divas, *paging Ms. Philicia*. Everyone else is part of my royal court but this Queen wouldn't be who she is if it wasn't for my Ladies In Waiting who puts up with me in the Women's Forum.

You go Girl.......... :D *snap snap* make that 3 snaps*** up
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline mewithu

• mewithu
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 11:29:24 pm »

The US Social Security Administration defines disability in terms of inability to perform substantial gainful activity (SGA), by which it means “work paying minimum wage or better”. The agency pairs SGA with a "listing" of medical conditions that qualify individuals for benefits.
1997 is when I found out, being deathly ill. I had to go to the hospital due to extreme headache and fever. I fell coma like,  two months later weighing 95 pounds and in extreme pain and awoke to knowledge of Pancreatis, Cryptococcal Meningitis, Thrush,Severe Diarea,  Wasting, PCP pneumonia. No eating, only through tpn. Very sick, I was lucky I had good insurance with the company I worked for. I was in the hospital for three months that time. 
(2010 Now doing OK cd4=210  VL= < 75)
I have become resistant to many nukes and non nukes, Now on Reyataz, , Combivir. Working well for me not too many side effects.  I have the wasting syndrome, Fatigue  . Hard to deal with but believe it or not I have been through worse. Three Pulmonary Embolism's in my life. 2012 520 t's <20 V load

Offline denb45

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 12:08:34 am »
The US Social Security Administration defines disability in terms of inability to perform substantial gainful activity (SGA), by which it means “work paying minimum wage or better”. The agency pairs SGA with a "listing" of medical conditions that qualify individuals for benefits.

Yes, and the US Social Security Administration doesn't just give out benefits to anybody, there is a lot involved in it's determination in regards to who's disabled or not, and who gets benefits or not, it's not a simple process  ::) and, it's not just given out, to just anyone who thinks they need it, the process just doesn't work that way ??? for those of you who aren't aware of this  :o
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 12:10:51 am by denb45 »

Offline SirPrize

• SirPrize!
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 10:29:11 am »
I scanned the thread but didn't see your question "Can a person go out on disability with a diagnosis of Aids?" answered.  If I missed the answer sorry for the repetition.  The answer is NO.  SSA does not care that you are diagnosed with AIDS.  You have to prove to them that your "disability" is one that is severe enough to preclude you from performing any work within the national economy.

You've received much advice to continue working as long as possible.  On the other hand you also need to be advised that if you are currently in a position where your physician will substantiate that your medical condition does not allow you to perform any work (and that means documented clinical evidence and opinion on how your condition precludes you from any work; not just the symptoms of your illness) it would behoove you to strike while the iron is hot! The reason I mention this is that I initially filed for SSDI on December 13, 2003.  I"M STILL WAITING for a hearing with an Administrative Law Judge.  In fairness, after my first denial 3 months later I had a family emergency and could not appeal the decision.  I later filed a new claim in September 2005 which started the whole process over again.  Another asset that you may need in the future is a lawyer whose expertise is dealing with the SSA on balf of HIV+ individuals.  You can visit www.positiveoutlook.org to peruse the subject further.  She is in Michigan BUT since SSDI is a national program you do not have to have local representation.
Due to current economic conditions, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily turned off!

Offline denb45

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2008, 11:09:32 am »
I scanned the thread but didn't see your question "Can a person go out on disability with a diagnosis of Aids?" answered.  If I missed the answer sorry for the repetition.  The answer is NO.  SSA does not care that you are diagnosed with AIDS.  You have to prove to them that your "disability" is one that is severe enough to preclude you from performing any work within the national economy.

Here are the requirements needed for HIV/AIDS Classification, you need at least 2 or 3 of these OI's  to be considered as disabled, NOTE: having any of the below, and being treated, still IS NOT a guaranty of payment or fulfillment of SSDI benefits

14.08 Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection With documentation as described in 14.00F and one of the following:

A. Bacterial infections:

1. Mycobacterial infection (for example, caused by M. avium-intracellulare, M. kansasii, or M. tuberculosis) at a site other than the lungs, skin, or cervical or hilar lymph nodes, or pulmonary tuberculosis resistant to treatment; or

2. Nocardiosis; or

3. Salmonella bacteremia, recurrent non-typhoid; or

4. Multiple or recurrent bacterial infections, including pelvic inflammatory disease, requiring hospitalization or intravenous antibiotic treatment three or more times in a 12-month period.

OR

B. Fungal infections:

1. Aspergillosis; or

2. Candidiasis involving the esophagus, trachea, bronchi, or lungs, or at a site other than the skin, urinary tract, intestinal tract, or oral or vulvovaginal mucous membranes; or

3. Coccidioidomycosis, at a site other than the lungs or lymph nodes; or

4. Cryptococcosis, at a site other than the lungs (for example, cryptococcal meningitis); or

5. Histoplasmosis, at a site other than the lungs or lymph nodes; or

6. Mucormycosis; or

7. Pneumocystis pneumonia or extrapulmonary Pneumocystis infection.

OR

C. Protozoan or helminthic infections:

1. Cryptosporidiosis, isosporiasis, or microsporidiosis, with diarrhea lasting for 1 month or longer; or

2. Strongyloidiasis, extra-intestinal; or

3. Toxoplasmosis of an organ other than the liver, spleen, or lymph nodes.

OR

D. Viral infections:

1. Cytomegalovirus disease (documented as described in 14.00F3b(ii)) at a site other than the liver, spleen or lymph nodes; or

2. Herpes simplex virus causing:

a. Mucocutaneous infection (for example, oral, genital, perianal) lasting for 1 month or longer; or

b. Infection at a site other than the skin or mucous membranes (for example, bronchitis, pneumonitis, esophagitis, or encephalitis); or

c. Disseminated infection; or

3. Herpes zoster:

a. Disseminated; or

b. With multidermatomal eruptions that are resistant to treatment; or

4. Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy.

OR

E. Malignant neoplasms:

1. Carcinoma of the cervix, invasive, FIGO stage II and beyond; or

2. Kaposi's sarcoma with:

a. Extensive oral lesions; or

b. Involvement of the gastrointestinal tract, lungs, or other visceral organs; or

3. Lymphoma (for example, primary lymphoma of the brain, Burkitt’s lymphoma, immunoblastic sarcoma, other non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease); or

4. Squamous cell carcinoma of the anal canal or anal margin.

OR

F. Conditions of the skin or mucous membranes (other than described in B2, D2, or D3, above), with extensive fungating or ulcerating lesions not responding to treatment (for example, dermatological conditions such as eczema or psoriasis, vulvovaginal or other mucosal Candida, condyloma caused by human Papillomavirus, genital ulcerative disease).

OR

G. HIV encephalopathy, characterized by cognitive or motor dysfunction that limits function and progresses.

OR

H. HIV wasting syndrome[/b], characterized by involuntary weight loss of 10 percent or more of baseline (computed based on pounds, kilograms, or body mass index (BMI)) or other significant involuntary weight loss as described in 14.00F5, and in the absence of a concurrent illness that could explain the findings. With either:

1. Chronic diarrhea with two or more loose stools daily lasting for 1 month or longer; or

2. Chronic weakness and documented fever greater than 38oC (100.4oF) for the majority of 1 month or longer.

OR

I. Diarrhea, lasting for 1 month or longer, resistant to treatment, and requiring intravenous hydration, intravenous alimentation, or tube feeding.

OR

J. One or more of the following infections (other than described in A-I, above). The infection(s) must either be resistant to treatment or require hospitalization or intravenous treatment three or more times in a 12-month period.

1. Sepsis; or

2. Meningitis; or

3. Pneumonia; or

4. Septic arthritis; or

5. Endocarditis; or

6. Sinusitis documented by appropriate medically acceptable imaging.

OR

K. Repeated (as defined in 14.00I3) manifestations of HIV infection, including those listed in 14.08A-J, but without the requisite findings for those listings (for example, carcinoma of the cervix not meeting the criteria in 14.08E, diarrhea not meeting the criteria in 14.08I), or other manifestations (for example, oral hairy leukoplakia, myositis, pancreatitis, hepatitis, peripheral neuropathy, glucose intolerance, muscle weakness, cognitive or other mental limitation) resulting in significant, documented symptoms or signs (for example, severe fatigue, fever, malaise, involuntary weight loss, pain, night sweats, nausea, vomiting, headaches, or insomnia) and one of the following at the marked level:

1. Limitation of activities of daily living.

2. Limitation in maintaining social functioning.

3. Limitation in completing tasks in a timely manner due to deficiencies in concentration, persistence, or pace.

14.09 Inflammatory arthritis. As described in 14.00D6. With:

A. Persistent inflammation or persistent deformity of:

1. One or more major peripheral weight-bearing joints resulting in the inability to ambulate effectively (as defined in 14.00C6); or

2. One or more major peripheral joints in each upper extremity resulting in the inability to perform fine and gross movements effectively (as defined in 14.00C7).

OR

B. Inflammation or deformity in one or more major peripheral joints with:

1. Involvement of two or more organs/body systems with one of the organs/body systems involved to at least a moderate level of severity; and

2. At least two of the constitutional symptoms or signs (severe fatigue, fever, malaise, or involuntary weight loss).

OR

C. Ankylosing spondylitis or other spondyloarthropathies, with:

1. Ankylosis (fixation) of the dorsolumbar or cervical spine as shown by appropriate medically acceptable imaging and measured on physical examination at 45º or more of flexion from the vertical position (zero degrees); or

2. Ankylosis (fixation) of the dorsolumbar or cervical spine as shown by appropriate medically acceptable imaging and measured on physical examination at 30° or more of flexion (but less than 45°) measured from the vertical position (zero degrees), and involvement of two or more organs/body systems with one of the organs/body systems involved to at least a moderate level of severity.

OR

D. Repeated manifestations of inflammatory arthritis, with at least two of the constitutional symptoms or signs (severe fatigue, fever, malaise, or involuntary weight loss) and one of the following at the marked level:

3. Limitation in completing tasks in a timely manner due to deficiencies in concentration, persistence, or pace.

14.10 Sjögren’s syndrome. As described in 14.00D7. With:

A. Involvement of two or more organs/body systems, with:

1. One of the organs/body systems involved to at least a moderate level of severity; and

2. At least two of the constitutional symptoms or signs (severe fatigue, fever, malaise, or involuntary weight loss).

OR

B. Repeated manifestations of Sjögren’s syndrome, with at least two of the constitutional symptoms or signs (severe fatigue, fever, malaise, or involuntary weight loss) and one of the following at the marked level:

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/14.00-Immune-Adult.htm#immunodeficiency
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:29:36 am by denb45 »

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 02:56:52 am »
Just wanted to add my take on the "disability queen" term.  I've heard it and read it.  It's used in the gay community.  I believe it originated when HIV meds began restoring people w/aids to relatively good health.  Some of those old timers that were restored to good health had probably been out of the work force for so long, they couldn't see themselves being able to make the climb back up to join the working. 

Now you might be able to see how some might see these people in the same vein as people once viewed welfare queens.   That's what a disability queen really means... a person that is actually able to work, but yet remains on disability.

I agree the term is derogatory because of the lack of compassion for the challenges one faces when trying to reenter the work force.  I guess you just have to lie on the old resume and fill in the dead space with a fabrication (probably 'self-employed' works best) and hope the employer doesn't question it.... along with other challenges like giving up your subsidized apt before you have enough cash to pay for the deposit and first months rent on your new apt.  ... and others.

Offline carousel

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 05:27:10 am »
Haven't heard the term disability queen before, but it doesn't surprise me.

I probably thought and said a few offensive things myself, when I was on the other side or whatever you call It.  Here in the UK, before they downgraded HIV to what they laughingly call a manageable condition, a diagnosis was enough to get social housing and the state stepped in with benefits, as the prognosis was pretty terrible. 

That's changed and until you are in a very bad way, it is much harder to get anything.  Most people who I know who are on disability have been living with HIV for many years.  I seem to remember that the Government was going to reassess thousands of claims to see if they should have their benefits changed, though I don't personally know of anybody who has actually been through the process and lost their benefits. 

I hope I'm never in a situation that I will have to go on benefits, but it's a strange conundrum that your health needs to deteriorate until you get any help. 

At the same time, with rent and bills in London being so expensive, I can see that people might be resentful of people getting benefits and housing from the state.  It doesn't take into account actually  having to live with HIV, but there are plenty of people who feel that way.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 04:57:21 pm »
Now you might be able to see how some might see these people in the same vein as people once viewed welfare queens.   That's what a disability queen really means... a person that is actually able to work, but yet remains on disability.

I agree the term is derogatory because of the lack of compassion for the challenges one faces when trying to reenter the work force.  I guess you just have to lie on the old resume and fill in the dead space with a fabrication (probably 'self-employed' works best) and hope the employer doesn't question it.... along with other challenges like giving up your subsidized apt before you have enough cash to pay for the deposit and first months rent on your new apt.  ... and others.

In the past 10 years, I have sent out over 400 resumes and had few interviews.  I filled the gap in employment with "self employed" and actually, I was, just not being paid.  My last interview was when I moved to Sonoma County and found an opening for Safety Manager in the Department of Water.  The first part of the application/interview was in essay form.  The question was what would do in order to decrease worker injuries in the Sonoma County Department of Water?

My interview/essay was nearly 30 pages, very through, thought out and my letter for the in person interview stated, I was the highest qualified applicant for the position.   I met with the Director and three other Safety Managers.  Each presented two questions and at the end, I was asked to sign the release for personal references/information.  That was the hire signal of all time because the background check is very expensive and only two applicants get that.

The Director of Safety walked me out to the front door.  PN and the pain of every step was obvious and I could not hide it very well.  A more qualified applicant was found.  Being able to work and finding a job is two different things  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2008, 12:21:00 pm »
The Director of Safety walked me out to the front door.  PN and the pain of every step was obvious and I could not hide it very well.  A more qualified applicant was found.  Being able to work and finding a job is two different things    Have the best day
Michael

Hi Micahel - thanks for the post - what is PN?
Buzz ♥

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2008, 02:44:38 pm »

And how would you explain away a glaring 10-year hole on your resume when you try to re-enter the workforce?  "Hi, I have AIDS!... but I'm all better now."  Easier said than done, even in a supposedly liberal environment like NYC.  Not many employers relish openly knowing/hiring such a person -- not so much for any "ick" factor but because they think it would drive up their medical insurance group policy premiums, etc.

I think the term was more for those folks who had PRIVATE disability policies, not us poor sots that exist on our paltry SSDI checks -- the ones that are able to supplement SSDI with a private policy are the ones that get to jet off to St. Barts yearly, etc.  Anyway, people went off on disability more in the 90's as a form of early retirement -- impending death will cause one to do this.

But whatever, only a cretinous queen uses this nasty term in this day and age -- and they're the same ones that camp on a bar stool whispering about who has the Killer Plague and who does not.  Of course, they don't get laid very much either.

Offline denb45

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2008, 03:00:16 pm »
And how would you explain away a glaring 10-year hole on your resume when you try to re-enter the workforce?  "Hi, I have AIDS!... but I'm all better now."  Easier said than done, even in a supposedly liberal environment like NYC.  Not many employers relish openly knowing/hiring such a person -- not so much for any "ick" factor but because they think it would drive up their medical insurance group policy premiums, etc.

SO true hunnie, like you and so many others on this form who are so over-qualified, but no one will hire any of us, due to this AIDS-stigma  ??? this just make me wanna CRY  :'( and, after 10yrs. I still remain on SSDI
cuz NO-ONE will take a change and Hire me..........
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 07:45:11 pm by denb45 »

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2008, 04:49:09 pm »
- what is PN?

PN is Periferal Neuropathy, (spelling correct?) is a problem in the legs, feet and if I am not mistaken, for some people the hands.  Some people experience numbness, some pain and others both.  In my case, it was pain with every step and in my life, I often had to walk a mile to go to the market.  I have been seen walking with a big bag of dog food and my German Shepard on leash.  My brother and his wife were in town twice each week for a year w/ two cars and couldn't be bothered to stop by my house to see if I needed any help.

My Healthcare Provider could not get an ID doc in the facility (also for over a year) and they were clueless on treatment but never failed to have tests done.  One month, there was an MRI, an EKG and 30 days of Physical Therapy.  Their doc said, I should buy my shoes in  different store because Big 5 had seconds for $5.00.  For a few years, thee was also a foot drop problem, associated with PN and I could trip and fall over a crack in a sidewalk.  PN is caused by being on the same medication for too many years.  I think in my case it was Epivir.

When I moved to Sonoma County, I got a real HIV Specialist, who changed my meds and said it would take a long time to heal.  I also had Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) and that was treated too.  Later, I developed Osteopenia, which was treated by medication and Physical Therapy.  I could fall on my face in the middle of a street and Kaiser (my dog) would stand guard over me until I could get up.

After 10 years of unconditional love, I have to take my Kaiser to the vet tomorrow because he can no longer walk himself and he has to be put down.  There is a non-profit which will pay for this service IF it is under $85.00 so, Kaiser will be destroyed in the vets office, (a place of terror) because a "house call" is a hundred bucks and I have less than 20 bucks for the rest of this month.

Over the past few months, Walter has slipped me a few hundred dollars for pain medication and vet bills for my Kaiser.  Some times, he would mail a check, other times there would be a hundred bucks show up in my pocket.  If he calls today, I will ask him for the money but for fear of being thought of as a "Disability Queen" I will not call him to ask for more money.  The last time Kaiser got really bad, I called several vets for the costs of euthanization and found the next day, Walters dog had a heart attack, she was 13 and blind.  He said, she saw him and said goodbye, right before she died.

Today, I am digging a hole in the yard for Kaiser, his favorite toys, dog dish w/ food and what is left of the giant bone he got as a puppy from Mr. Gong (the neighborhood butcher).  That bone was bigger than the dog when he got it.  He is in pain and managed to crawl next to my desk where he has sat for over 10 years.  Sorry for getting off the topic, I have to go dig a hole now  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline denb45

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2008, 07:58:19 pm »
PN is Periferal Neuropathy, (spelling correct?) is a problem in the legs, feet and if I am not mistaken, for some people the hands.  Some people experience numbness, some pain and others both.  In my case, it was pain with every step and in my life, I often had to walk a mile to go to the market.  I have been seen walking with a big bag of dog food and my German Shepard on leash.  My brother and his wife were in town twice each week for a year w/ two cars and couldn't be bothered to stop by my house to see if I needed any help.

My Healthcare Provider could not get an ID doc in the facility (also for over a year) and they were clueless on treatment but never failed to have tests done.  One month, there was an MRI, an EKG and 30 days of Physical Therapy.  Their doc said, I should buy my shoes in  different store because Big 5 had seconds for $5.00.  For a few years, thee was also a foot drop problem, associated with PN and I could trip and fall over a crack in a sidewalk.  PN is caused by being on the same medication for too many years.  I think in my case it was Epivir.

When I moved to Sonoma County, I got a real HIV Specialist, who changed my meds and said it would take a long time to heal.  I also had Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) and that was treated too.  Later, I developed Osteopenia, which was treated by medication and Physical Therapy.  I could fall on my face in the middle of a street and Kaiser (my dog) would stand guard over me until I could get up.

After 10 years of unconditional love, I have to take my Kaiser to the vet tomorrow because he can no longer walk himself and he has to be put down.  There is a non-profit which will pay for this service IF it is under $85.00 so, Kaiser will be destroyed in the vets office, (a place of terror) because a "house call" is a hundred bucks and I have less than 20 bucks for the rest of this month.

Over the past few months, Walter has slipped me a few hundred dollars for pain medication and vet bills for my Kaiser.  Some times, he would mail a check, other times there would be a hundred bucks show up in my pocket.  If he calls today, I will ask him for the money but for fear of being thought of as a "Disability Queen" I will not call him to ask for more money.  The last time Kaiser got really bad, I called several vets for the costs of euthanization and found the next day, Walters dog had a heart attack, she was 13 and blind.  He said, she saw him and said goodbye, right before she died.

Today, I am digging a hole in the yard for Kaiser, his favorite toys, dog dish w/ food and what is left of the giant bone he got as a puppy from Mr. Gong (the neighborhood butcher).  That bone was bigger than the dog when he got it.  He is in pain and managed to crawl next to my desk where he has sat for over 10 years.  Sorry for getting off the topic, I have to go dig a hole now  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

4 yrs. ago I had to put-down my Chow Chow (sable) she was 14, blind in her left eye, and deaf in her right ear, also, she could no longer walk, but she lied-down by my side (like she did for 14 yrs.) untill the last days of her life, I'll never forget my Chow Chow teddy bear dog ???  I too have peripheral Neuropathy in my feet and lower legs, it comes and go's and is the worst in the Winter months Nov thur March  ???  Kaiser, your German Shepard has been your pal for a long time, but it's time for him to go now..it's ok to let him go now, he will always be in your heart FOREVER  ;) and in sprit He'll always be right by your side :( man I'm getting choked up here  :-[
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 08:02:31 pm by denb45 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2008, 09:13:11 pm »

But whatever, only a cretinous queen uses this nasty term in this day and age -- and they're the same ones that camp on a bar stool whispering about who has the Killer Plague and who does not.  Of course, they don't get laid very much either.

Probably the same types who don't test very often - if ever - as well. ::)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2008, 09:29:47 pm »
Sorry to hear about your pup Michael.

I didn't feel like much of a queen when I received 786.00 a month for disability.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2008, 02:24:58 pm »
In Honor and Respect for 50's Game Shows on TV...

The host needs to say, "Only One can be 'Disability Queen' for A Day."  I remember that show, women would take turns in front of the camera, telling their stories and why SHE should be "Queen for a Day".  The Winner would get a Crown and Roses while the prizes were announced.  The prizes could be a new stove, a fur stole and what ever...  The studio audience was always in tears.

I called the local vet, who is going to want a hundred bucks (I have less than 20) and asked that he come by the house today, I am waiting for a return call.  They will send a bill if doggie doctor can even schedule a house call today.

I used to go to the studios with my friends to try and get on "The Price is Right", it was a 4 hour wait in line to get seated, interviewed and they gave us little postcards (promotional) with a picture of Bob Barker and it said, "You can see me on "The Price is Right" on XXX date.  Rod Roddy never said, "Sonomabeach, Come on Down!" and we never saw ourselves in the studio audience.  For all these years, I have been playing Rod Roddy at the foot of the steps saying, "Kaiser Permanente, Come on Down!"

I just got a call back on the house call euthanasia, they won't come out because I don't have the money, they won't bill, the charges would include a house call, sedation and the shot to the heart all at $240.00, not the $120.00 originally quoted. They suggested I call Animal Control.  This is not a fair way to treat a dog for all these years of unconditional love.  He eats, he drinks his water and I will let him die at home in peace.  I refuse to accept the "Disability Crown and Scepter"  I have run out of Game Shows   ;D  Have the best day
Michael
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 02:26:51 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2008, 11:36:06 am »
Michael my heart goes out to you- i wish i could help some way - i hope somthing gives for you so the vet can come to the house - is your dog suffering badly? I know i read another thread where the poster had to put his lifetime companion friend down and his ASO was able to give him some money.to assit with the vet bills - God be with you ♥
Buzz ♥

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2008, 02:12:54 pm »
Hey Buzz,

Here in Sonoma County we have PALS, (Pets Are Loving Support), they just had a parade in Guerneville on Sunday and normally have an answering machine for all incoming calls.  They are a volunteer, non-profit with limited funding, $85.00 per person, per year.  They will pay The Humane Society, if I take my dog to them, or Animal Control would pick him up with their nets in a truck.  Neither option is acceptable because I can not carry my dog to the car, it hurts him when I try and of course Animal Control would have to bring their nets into the house and take him away.  I don't think Animal Control is known for being kind but their people are subject to bites and do need to take care of themselves. 

Kaiser takes Rimadyl for pain and that does allow him some comfort here where I can care for him.  After giving much thought to my options, I have chosen to let him die at home.  I have been disabled for over 12 years now, the dog has been here for 10 of those years, I can be at home to care for him.  Dying with dignity does include our pets.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2008, 04:11:01 pm »
Michael, having had two beloved pets die in my arms in the last two years, I think I know a little of what you are going through. Not having instant disposable income meant, for me, watching a beloved ferret writhe in agony for hours with a blocked intestinal tract. It meant watching another one scream like a child during a seizure that everyone assures me he did not feel. Even though several people extended hands and wallets to help, the illnesses came on so quickly that there was simply no time. Had I gobs of money to throw at vets, I could maybe have saved one of them. But instead, they died in my arms, without much pain thanks to the assistance of kind hearted folks at a local ferret shelter.

There is no more impotent feeling than watching those who love and trust you suffer. Pets consider us to be close to Gods, and they simply do not understand why the pain is there, and why we can not make it stop.

It rips your heart out. Believe me, I know.

Having an "income" of less than seven hundred dollars a month is hardly living large off the government, especially in these difficult times. Whats amusing is when bill collectors call and threaten to sue. I always wish them the best of luck with that.

I know some people probably get loads more money from SSDI than you or I. And maybe a few of them are way healthier, and have been savvy enough to work the system to it's fullest extent. Maybe there ARE disability queens. Far fewer now, I imagine, than ten years ago when HIV still brought shivers down the spine.

Most of the "Ladies Who Lunch" as my friend used to call them, the muscled, handsome guys who were A and B-List material, who got on disability yet somehow managed to stay in their midtown condos and keep the Mazda Miatas and eat out a lot, are dead. They lived large, looked beautiful, and died.

Me, I follow my late father's advice, blog notwithstanding. I keep a low profile, live as simply as I can stand it, entertain myself at home, and have become an amazing cook. I am alive because of federal disability insurance, because of SSDI and SSI and the ability to intellectually function as well as I have.

Anyone who thinks eighty bucks a month in food stamps and less than a hundred dollars in spending money a month is glamorous, ought to try it. Its fun, discovering a zillion ways to make pasta. Or rice. Or beans. Its great to have fish once a month because it's exotic and expensive. It's terrific to live and eat like a college student into your 40s.

Quite the Queenliness.

Whenever I hear someone mention that term, I bristle. It has all the validity of "you can't get it from being a top."
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2008, 04:36:00 pm »
Well, duh -- that's because total tops are a myth.  A bag of tina will flip anyone.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2008, 04:56:32 pm »
Possibly somewhat off the original thread, but since were on the subject of pets, I'll add my experience.  At least at my vet's office, there is no charge for euthanizing an animal.  I've had to have a few put down over the years... most recently our cat Maggie.  We were present when she was given the injections.  The first one pretty much just knocked her out (purring and looking totally content 'til she was out).  The second injection stopped her breathing.  There was no charge for this or for disposal, although we chose to have her cremated.  I think I might, under certain circumstances, attempt to euthenize a pet myself (after a lot of research, of course).  Michael, I hope your dog goes peacefully and as painlessly as possible... for your benefit as well as his.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline ga1964

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2008, 12:40:24 am »
I have never heard the term, but there again I'm fairly new here, (2yrs.) and still learning, but I am very offended by the term Disability Queen.  I have tried to pay my way as best as I can.  I have gone thru $20,000.00 in savings and have borrowed over $10,000.00 from my parents since being diagnosed.  I continue to work and will continue till I can't and if I have to go on Disability, it won't be because I did not try to stay off assistance as long as possible.

Don't we have enough to deal with without putting more derogatory labels on people trying to get by.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2008, 06:00:49 pm »
Back to the original topic of Disability Queen...I terminated the friendship with my best gal pal Marie a few months ago because, she called her lawyer and reported back to me that, "I could never own a share of Walters law firm unless we were legally married and divorced."  She said, I could sue for half of his firm in a divorce settlement and it was a question, I never asked or ever thought about.

I am doing some marketing/public relations work, a salary was offered but I'm doing it for lunch and travel expenses.  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline denb45

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2008, 10:02:28 pm »
Back to the original topic of Disability Queen...I terminated the friendship with my best gal pal Marie a few months ago because, she called her lawyer and reported back to me that, "I could never own a share of Walters law firm unless we were legally married and divorced."  She said, I could sue for half of his firm in a divorce settlement and it was a question, I never asked or ever thought about.

Humm? sounds like she has some sorta problem with that subject, to even bring it up, SOMETHING must be up with her  ??? I know, it sounds a little strange, that she would say such a thing, doesn't it?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.