Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:58:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 632
Total: 633

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How to deal with fat re-distributed...to non exercise/diet reach areas...  (Read 5750 times)

Offline flashdance

• Reach out and touch me....
One of my biggest issues while dealing with CRIXIVAN (1996-2003) is "fat re-distribution". I used to have photos of "before-Crixie" and "after-Crixie" and my jowls ballooned to extreme proportions. My neck size is probably a 4XL and my body is XL.

I doubt I can ever wear a tie again.

Good exercise and diet regimes never help this neck area....and as much effort that I put into staying fit...it hurts when I look in the mirror and see the fat jowls that came about the first few months on Crixivan.

I look at the "fat re-distribution" of being a side effect that probably took my genetic future expected jowls and hyper-sped the fat to accumulate under my chin.

Recently...I started using a wrap around the front side of my neck to help dehydrate and deflate the mass. After a quick test...it might be working but so slowly that it would end up costing over $500 with the results that I would be happy with. If you like to "read" about it...give me feedback...the stuff I am using is associated with the web site "my it works".com without the spaces and parentheses. I really would not be surprised if someone thought it was a bad idea to even try it.

I just wondered if anyone has had similiar experiences.
You are never alone...and if you start to feel lonely....search me out...or grab your cat!

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Howdy Flashdance,

I, too was on Crixivan - from 1996 to 2007. I have the goiter-like neck to prove it.

I also had the hump on the back and at the base of the back of my head. The jowls are there too, but not as pronounced as you are describing.

There is no exercise that will rid you of this. I tried everything, diet, exercise, wrapping it in those fat loss wrap things, etc.

I finally bit the bullet and had them surgically remove the hump and the lumps at the base of the back of my head. It was not a pleasant experience, but it worked.

The hump as grown back slightly, as have the lumps at the back of the head, but not nearly as bad, at least, not yet.

You don't mention if you have the visceral fat. I do, and no exercise will rid you of that, either.

The best I have found is that exercise will help build muscles that will help you hold your belly in check.

I know some people take Egrifta, but that is outrageously expensive and if you stop, the fat returns.

I wish I had better tidings.

By the way, the doctor wouldn't remove my flappy neck. The insurance would not cover it and the plastic surgeon wanted another $5,000 to remove the neck fat.

I still have it and have gotten used to it.

I still cannot find shirts to fit. My neck, as you noted, it quite large, but the rest of me is just a large or extra large, depending on the shirt and style of shirt.

Let me know how things go.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline konkrypton

• Everything works...in theory.
    • Pan/Satyr Lover
I'm in the same situation as you two. My solution has been Egrifta, which is helping the visceral fat around my organs and reducing my fat between my shoulder blades. However, so far my neck isn't reducing. Unfortunately my Egrifta is on back order until later this month, no word on when. I understand that bodybuilders are using it now, to "cut" the fat around their muscles so they are more defined. I wonder if that's why there is a shortage.

I'm disabled, so Medicare D is picking up the cost of the drug. It's a once-a-day shot, but I already take insulin so that's not a problem for me. Just some info in case you are interested.

Kevin
KK
--
I distrust morning people. I suspect they setup the rules of life while the rest of us slept.

Offline flashdance

• Reach out and touch me....
Thanks for the replies....ONE...because I finally found someone else with the issue....and TWO....maybe it brings me back to reality.

The wrap that I have only spent $25 on to test addressing my neck...I may have access to another box of treatment for free. The funny thing...I like the smell!!! Hey, I am 57 but the smell of the wrap takes me back to some crazy times from my younger sports days.

I addressed this issue with my long time HIV doc...and his "funny" reply was...."Well, you may try something to get rid of the extra fat around your neck...but you probably would not like the results.".....

Thanks, again!!
You are never alone...and if you start to feel lonely....search me out...or grab your cat!

Offline aztecan

Hey Kevin,

I thought about Egrifta, but when I checked with my insurance company, I found it would cost me a copay of $400 a month.

I just can't afford that. I already pay more than $300 a month in copays for all the other meds.

I am glad it is working for you, though. Right now, I am fearful the humps are returning. We'll see, I guess.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
Hey Kevin,

I thought about Egrifta, but when I checked with my insurance company, I found it would cost me a copay of $400 a month.

I just can't afford that. I already pay more than $300 a month in copays for all the other meds.

I am glad it is working for you, though. Right now, I am fearful the humps are returning. We'll see, I guess.

HUGS,

Mark

Mark I am sorry to read that.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline aztecan

Mark I am sorry to read that.

Hey Michael,
It isn't that pronounced as yet, but I noticed a bit of it coming back. If it does, it stays. I am not going through that surgery again.

But, who knows, it may just be my imagination. :)

HUGS,

Mark

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.