Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Can Someone HELP answer some questions?

(1/3) > >>

Humanitarian:
Hi Everyone,

Just last night I placed my first post, certainly it seemed like an abstract of my book. If you had an opportunity to read it, you may recall that I was waiting for my genotype results. I called this morning and they confirm the results have come in, but the nurse told me that she could not review such results with me, that it would be best for my Dr. to review them with me tomorrow. And of course, I STARTED TO PANIC!!! I asked if my genotype had come back resistant to any meds, and she once again told me that it would be best my Dr. review the results with me. So, WHAT DOES THAT MEAN??? As an over compulsive person, I began to ask more questions and the nurse told me that she is not in position to review such results with me, but that I would be OK and she told me that I will have some options. What does she mean by SOME options???

OK, so I am freaking out and all I can think is that my genotype in fact came back resistant to some medications, but how many is my question? Can it be possible to be resistant to ALL medications? Funny it is that just yesterday I was feeling 'Great' and thought I had my emotions under control, but I guess I was in for a surprise...I AM VERY SCARED RIGHT NOW!!!  I called my therapist, we are meeting later today.

For those of you who have tenure and experience with this virus, its labs, medication regimens, etc... CAN YOU SHED SOME LIGHT MY DIRECTION???  Here are my questions:

1. Can it be possible to be resistant to ALL HIV medications?
2. Can it be possible that other medical conditions, like cancer, be found through a genotype?
3. Should I be concern about medicine resistant, or are their plenty of multiple combinations out there that I will be fine?

I want to go about my day, certainly this emotional status is not helping my immune system, I appreciate any information.

P.S. Please do not think I am going against what I said on my first post, I am actually attempting to take my own advice, but like many, this is still new to me. I also fear, like right now, the fact that I don't want to die, not yet, I have a lot a want to do. I just want to have enough medicine combinations to keep me healthy and suppress this virus so that I can go on with accomplishing all that I want to do in my life.

Thanks,

Humanitarian.

Anna Karenina:
Hiya! 

1.  It is extremely, extremely unlikely that you are resistant to all HIV medications.  In sub-saharan Africa, where medication compliance is difficult we are seeing strains of HIV that are extensively drug resistant but I am unaware of this happening outside of there (someone please correct me if I am wrong)

2.  Medical conditions such as cancer cannot be detected through the genotype you had done.  Presence of cancer is determined through histopathological examination i.e cut the suspect piece of you out, stain it, put it on a slide, look at it under a microscope to check the cells.  Certain molecular features of various cancers can be determined using genomic methods, to see which genes they are over-expressing or under-expressing (this can help us tailor individual treatment or can be for research purposes), but that is something that would be done to tissue that we already know is cancerous.  Certain alleles (alleles are variants of the same gene) that give you increased susceptibilty to a certain type of cancer (such as mutant alleles of the BRCA1 gene indicated in familial forms of breast/ovarian cancer) also be detected through genotyping, but these are very specific (and expensive) tests and they would not have done that test on you.

3.  Of course it's realistic to be concerned about drug resistance, but yes there are regiments that address this.  And definitely don't worry until you have spoken to your doctor.  I know this is probably impossible but try not to read into what the nurse said too much, she might just say that to absolutely everyone, regardless of their results.

All the best!
Anna

BT65:
Humanitarian,

I think Anna did a very thorough job of answering your questions.  I just wanted to add that nurses do not usually give genotype results.  They're really not qualified to do this.  Take some deep breaths and have a good visit with your therapist.  I'm sure you have many options available to you, med wise.
  luv,
Betty

YaKaMein:
Welcome Humanitarian,
Great posts. Your responses are very NORMAL. There's a lot for you process right now in handling such news. It may seem remote but you will be okay. You're arming yourself very well to best deal ... by gaining knowledge!! Consider finding ways to better deal with your stress and anxieties [get a Rx for something at your appt, like Ativan] as they arise. Here's a article about how stress affects our health I heard on NPR:   http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92975996

Another thing I suggest is to get a hard copy of ALL your medical records, i.e. labs, consults, etc. tomorrow. It good to keep a set for yourself. Especially since it seems like you may be looking for a doc closer to you.

Good luck with your appt tomorrow. It sounds like it will go well. Keep us posted.  -YaKaMein

wow1969:

P.S. Please do not think I am going against what I said on my first post, I am actually attempting to take my own advice, but like many, this is still new to me. I also fear, like right now, the fact that I don't want to die, not yet, I have a lot a want to do. I just want to have enough medicine combinations to keep me healthy and suppress this virus so that I can go on with accomplishing all that I want to do in my life.

I tested POZ about a month ago and I can understand what you mean by wanting to remain healthy to accomplish your goals in this life. My main goal is staying alive long enough to see my son grow up. Today I had the first visit with my virologist. What he told me was very encouraging. HIV is not considered "terminal" any longer. It is now considered "chronic".  For me, this means I can live with it. Then, he told me that with the current medical technology I have a very very good chance of dying from old age and I'm 38 right now. Which means that I have enough time to accomplish my goals in life. I suspect the same is true for you as well. I get my CD4 and Tcell counts on Friday so we will see, but he's optimistic. Hang in there, it will be alright. I don't know about you but I've found that the NOT KNOWING is the worst part of all of this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version