Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:36:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773266
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 346
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: First Trip to the Doc's  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Ravhyn

• Nerd Alert
First Trip to the Doc's
« on: February 03, 2010, 10:30:14 pm »
So I took my first 60 mile drive today to Nashville for my appointment was hoping too see what my viral load results were but nothing has reached them yet.

They took my blood here at home for the viral load/cd4 count, then called me back and said they had to do the test again and still no results on it. So the hospital in Nashville took my blood again too do the test along with a lot of other stuff.

My doc here says she believes the virus is still dormant in me, which cheered me up. I have my first appointment with an actual doc next month I am really looking forward too it. They say she's one of the best and that she's been all around the world. 

the lady I spoke with today though was really upbeat and positive. After talking to her today I walked away feeling a bit more positive about being positive.  Even my husband had cheered up a lot, which of course made me even happier. 

April 2006 - Sero-Conversion
December 2009 - Diagnosed
Jan 2010- VL 3,800 CD4 152
Summer 2010 VL UD, CD4 over 200
September 2010 VL UD, CD4 324
March 2011 VL UD, CD4 477
May 2011 VL UD, 338

Offline tednlou2

Re: First Trip to the Doc's
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 03:22:42 am »
I wish ya good news on your labs.  It is very possible your body will control the HIV for many years.  Some progress very quickly, though.  So, your husband is negative and you met him after being poz?  Or, you got HIV from former partner but just found out?  I guess if you were just diagnosed and already married, then I guess I answered my own question.  Has he been tested?  What does he think about it?  It sounds like he's being very supportive.

Best of luck!

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 05:52:17 pm »
Ravyn,
  Hopefully your labs will turn out great.  Everything always seems to take longer when you are waiting on it.  :)  It's always good to remember that HIV is a 100 mile marathon, not a 50 yard dash.  Patience and perserverance carry the day.  I always like to relax and meditate a bit before going to the doctor's office.  I always take something to read.  That lessens the opportunity for me to be frustrated when things are slow, mistakes are made, and I feel like I could be doing something else besides listening to the Crisis News Network.
-Brian
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 09:55:16 am »
My doc here says she believes the virus is still dormant in me, which cheered me up. I have my first appointment with an actual doc next month I am really looking forward too it. They say she's one of the best and that she's been all around the world.

The sooner you can see the "actual doc" the better sez Matty the Damned.

HIV does not lie dormant. It is always active, chipping away at the cell mediated immune system. There was a time (back in the 80s) when HIV was believed to lay dormant biding its time and twiddling its glycoproteins, but now we know much better.

You owe it to yourself and your intimates to get this stuff sorted out.

Be well,

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 11:09:22 am »
I have to wonder if your first VL test result came back undetectable and that's thrown doctors with little hiv experience into confusion (hence the repeated tests). I've read through your story both here and on your blog and things just aren't adding up. I'm wondering if your positive antibody results aren't false positives due to something like an underlying, undiagnosed auto-immune disease (which is something that is know to cause false positive hiv antibody results).

If you were infected by your partner who died from aids related causes, then you would have tested positive back then, provided you tested out to three months following your last incident of unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse with him. If you tested too soon and never re-tested, you could have been positive for all those years without knowing.

Just because your current husband tests negative doesn't mean you weren't positive with a detectable viral load. Hiv is much more difficult to transmit from a woman to a man and it's not unusual for a man to remain negative despite unprotected intercourse with an hiv positive woman.

Could you please clarify whether or not you tested out to three months following your last unprotected intercourse with your late husband?

If you DID test out to three months with negative results following your last unprotected intercourse with your late husband, then either you became infected from someone else between your late husband and your current husband, or you aren't positive. As I said, it is possible to get false positive results due to other reasons.

And as Matty said, hiv does not lie dormant. A person can remain asymptomatic for years, but the virus is not dormant and antibodies are always produced, usually by six weeks following initial infection. There is no such thing as a dormant hiv infection. Dormant implies the virus is not replicating or doing unseen, unfelt damage. Asymptomatic implies the person is feeling no ill-effects because the damage is not yet great enough to cause symptoms. There's a HUGE difference.

When will you get the results of your latest tests?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ravhyn

• Nerd Alert
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 09:41:26 pm »
Hello everyone, sorry been running around lately like a chicken with my head cut off LOL. 

Ann the test I took was only a couple of weeks after we found out his diagnosis.   But, I do think another test was taken I just can't remember at what time but it was with the same hospital. She said dating back two years show's nothing.  I'm very forgetful.

With partners though there was no one in between.

I do have one concern, although I haven't looked into it. I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) I've been told it puts me at a high risk for hypothydriosm (I know my spelling is terrible) Could something like that cause the test too go awry? I know it's rare to test as a false positive on both test. The lady I saw in Nashville told me of one such case that a woman was pregnant, and for some reason her hormones were just out of whack more then usual and it caused her to be false positive on both test.   With PCOS, I have a mountain of testorone in my body and not half as much estrogen. 

Hotpuppy

I understand what you are saying =). I actually already at times forget I have it.  Except when I come on here or the aids tribe which seem to be less and less everyday.  I try to focus on my artwork and it helps =)
April 2006 - Sero-Conversion
December 2009 - Diagnosed
Jan 2010- VL 3,800 CD4 152
Summer 2010 VL UD, CD4 over 200
September 2010 VL UD, CD4 324
March 2011 VL UD, CD4 477
May 2011 VL UD, 338

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.