Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:06:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 358
Total: 358

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

Should we launch a new forum called "Someone I Care About Has HIV"?

Yes
53 (62.4%)
No
23 (27.1%)
I don't care either way
9 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: New forum called "Someone I Care About Has HIV"?  (Read 18612 times)

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
Re: New forum called "Someone I Care About Has HIV"?
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2006, 11:02:08 am »
Jeffrey,

I too would like to know what you mean by watered down? I'm not trying to call you out or anything but I am taking everyone's thoughts into consideration. I had said previously that I didn't care but Jeromy and a few others have made some valid points for having a room open for people that are affected through others. I didn't vote one way or the other,so..... :-*
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline J220

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2006, 11:18:14 am »
I say yes, and only because I see this simply as a matter of organization. It is much easier and concise to go to the forum you are interested in reading if the topic is better narrowed down.

While on the subject of forums, think the "Clinical Trials" forum should be changed to "Research News". This would be more in keeping with the vast majority of posts there. J.
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2006, 02:46:06 pm »
While on the subject of forums, think the "Clinical Trials" forum should be changed to "Research News". This would be more in keeping with the vast majority of posts there. J.

Good suggestion, J. 

We changed the title to "Research News and Studies".

Peter

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2006, 02:49:26 pm »
Yeah....what Queen said.  For the record, I'm not trying to 'call anyone out' or anything.  I am still pretty new on here, so I don't have the scope of perspective that some of the more long-term members have. 

~+
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2006, 06:36:14 pm »
I would have to say yes for the exact same reasons as when the 'newly infected' forum was debated.  Growing site traffic and a spoken need/want for it.

How has the newly infected forum fared in comparison to when it was debated?

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2006, 12:50:28 pm »
I already voted yes but I just wanted to add to my comment.

The other day I was talking with my best friend on the phone. She told me that she had been speaking with a friend of hers who knows her brother is positive but also knows he hasnt told his partner. Long story short, she told me that they started talking to each other about their concerns: my best friend's concerns about me and her friend's concerns about her brother. I didnt ask because I didnt actually realise till I got off the phone, but I got the distinct impression that she felt relieved she finally had someone she could talk to about her thoughts and feelings about my health and issues I've been struggling with that she would like to help me with.

It suddenly hit me just how affected the family members and friends we disclose our status to can actually be by our hiv status. Even though I've always been aware of the 'burdening' effect that disclosure can have on the person who is told, I never really thought about how they can be affected in the long-term, with respect to needing to ask questions and discuss their thoughts and feelings etc. I now realise they may well have questions of their own they need to ask and discuss with others in the same boat as them. I guess I realised its not necessarily only us - the infected - who need a support network. The ones who care about us often need help coping too.

Melia
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline Rhino

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2006, 06:56:01 pm »
There have been a quite a few questions I would liked to have asked but didn't because I was afraid to offended or upset anyone here. Maybe if there was a specific place I could have addressed these concerns I would have been able to interact with the poz people in my life a little better.

Offline Longislander

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2006, 07:00:32 pm »
Melia (as usual) makes perfect sense.

There are probably many questions that 'people who care' have , but are too embarassed, uncomfortable or unsure whether to ask the HIV person themselves.

I hope it happens, even on a trial basis. It can also give HIV+ people an inside look at what our friends/family may be thinking.
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2006, 10:50:33 pm »
Yes....

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2006, 11:17:33 pm »
That's kind of what I was trying to express in my 'yes' vote, but Melia said it so much better!  (As usual...Gosh, what a way with words that gal has!)  I will repeat myself again to say I see a great chance for opening up lines of communication on such a broad scope here.  The idea seems so worth it to me to try.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2006, 03:05:26 am »
Yes, I AM Supporting You!

Hey Peter...

It is amazing how your perception changes when you look at the same topic again. What came to mind was our member Maestro. He was or is in the situation where he was caring for someone who has HIV. He posted in the Living With Forum and he received a lot of support as well as suggestions. A perception.

"Don't You Dare Give Up, Don't You Dare Give In...Because It Is ALL Within YOU to WIN!!!"
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 03:07:33 am by Eldon »

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2006, 11:29:46 am »
Thanks for the input everyone.  The YEAS have it. 

I've created the new board.  If, in a few months, folks don't think it's working out, we can always merge it into the Living With board.

Happy New Year!

Peter

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2006, 12:30:30 pm »
Yea!  I'm very happy about that!  I still don't see the forum on the left hand side.  When is it due to roll out for us?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2006, 12:44:13 pm »
Never Mind.....TA DAH! 

Thanks, folks!
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline lovingdaughter

« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2006, 10:34:42 pm »
I voted Yes! Although I have always felt welcome here, & have had great support from all of you, I sometimes find myself feeling a little guilty (for a lack of a better word) when I am venting about what my family goes through with my dad's poor health & recurring hospital stays & asking questions from all of you, who are actually going through the same thing, first hand. I don't want to be separated from you guys, as you have become family to me. But at the same time, I read what you are going through & sometimes it just seems a little selfish of me to "cry" on your shoulders. Please don't misunderstand, I know none of you feel this way and you have always been there for me, I don't think I would have learned as much as I have without you guys and sometimes you are the only thing that gets me through to the next step. I'm just saying that, SOMETIMES, family, loved ones,etc. need an outlet of their own, on their level.

My best to all of you,
                                             Lisa

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.