Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:53:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 614
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 581
Total: 581

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Key to a SAAB Story  (Read 3777 times)

Offline Oceanbeach

The Key to a SAAB Story
« on: January 23, 2008, 11:55:51 pm »
Not long ago, when I still had the Whale Gusher (Chrysler LeBaron convertible), I got an email from Aunt Linda.  Aunt Linda is not really my Aunt, she is the Aunt of my Second Cousin Lyn but, since we are all about the same age, I have always called her Aunt Linda (even in elementary school).  Anyways, She sent this warning email about covering up the vin # on our cars because someone who would want to steal our cars could get a set of keys from the dealer.

I told her no, I drive a Chrysler LeBaron convertible and no one steals them.  But, when I got rid of the Whale Gusher and got the Saab convertible, I knew it needed a new ignition switch.  I went to the SAAB dealer in Santa Rosa but my paperwork was not in order so... they refused to sell an ignition switch until I got the registration in order.  And I forgot about it.

Yesterday, I was going to get some presto logs because I ran out of firewood and the radio started messing up but, the engine kept running.  I bought my Presto Logs and the SAAB Story would not start or even turn over.  Finally, I got out my trusty tool box and started tinkering... would not start so the Presto Log people offered a jump.  It started, I got home and figured the problem was the battery.  My MG has a new battery so I swapped them out.

Today, I wanted to go to San Rafael so I get in the car and it would not start.  I turned the key and it broke off in the ignition.  I have two old cars and no cell phone and this could mean a long walk on short notice but... Now, I do have to buy the ignition switch for the SAAB Story and the dealer is about 20 miles away.  It takes 2 hours each way to get to the downtown bus terminal and another hour for another bus to get to the SAAB dealer.  That is 6 hours round trip to get a $50.00 part which is only about 25 miles away.  I can gert a ride in a couple of days and since I have everything I need at home... You good people are stuck with me for awhile ;D Have the best day
Michael 

Offline bear60

Re: The Key to a SAAB Story
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:37:28 am »
MIchael Michael
You know how I love SAAB stories! This is a classic. I sympathize because in my younger days I was in love with a 1967 Volvo 122S two door.  It ran great. Her name was Hilda...short for Hildegaard.  But she had an annoying habit of dropping things ......like door handles and the horn never worked, the windshild wipers were a problem, and of course the key tried to break off in the ignition on many occasions.
I finally discovered that one could walk into a new car showroom and actually buy a new car. I chose Subaru and became an honorary lesbian.
And never looked back.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 06:52:34 pm »
In San Francisco, in the 60's at a sportscar dealership on Van Ness Avenue, the Sales Manager noticed a dirty hippy girl and wanted her OUT of the showroom.  He told one of the sales people to get her out of the building.  The sales guy approached this girl with flowers in her hair and wearing no shoes.  He tried to tell her to leave and she would have none of it.

She asked, "What kind of car is this?

Well miss, it is a Lamborghini

How much does it cost?

$35,000.00

Does it come in pink?

For $35,000.00, you can have in any color you want, now you have to leave

She pulled the $35,000.00 out of her bag and said she wanted a pink one

Three days after delivery, Grace Slick wrecked her pink Lamborghini on the Golden Gate Bridge.

In today's market, $35,000.00 does not buy a Lamborghini but there are many new cars at that price.  I am limited to the kind of car one gets for $500.00  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 10:06:54 pm »
Oh Michael, do you remember when $500 would buy a really nice car?  I used to have a '69 Ford Galaxy that I paid $500 for.  I was 16 when I bought it.  It was a car from Arizona, so no rust, nothing wrong with it.  I ended up selling it for $135.  That was back when I used drugs pretty heavily and I needed a fix.  Anyway, it's amazing that now for $500 you probably couldn't even get a car that needed an engine.  Not around here anyways.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 12:20:10 am »
Hi Betty,

I bought the Chrysler LeBaron convertible for $500.00 last year and immediately found wrecking yards had a surplus of these cars (which had never been wrecked).  I sold the Whale Gusher for $500.00 and bought the Saab convertible with the same $500.00.  I have found only three Saabs in the wrecking yard.

My parents bought me a red 1958 Corvette for my 16th birthday.  I sold that the year I transferred from the community college to Humboldt State.  That car appreciated in value so much, I used the money to pay for 3 semesters tuition, books and the move in costs for an apartment off campus.  Not bad for a $500.00 car in 1966.  ;D Have the best day
Michael

Offline bear60

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 12:09:44 pm »
Michael
imagine what that 1958 Corvette is worth today!
True, its called sticker shock.  What 2,500 used to buy is now 25,000 (or more).
You'll love this. In 1970 I paid 700 dollars for the Volvo and sold it in 1986 for 700 dollars.  IN the meantime I drove it from the east coast to the west coast and back again.  I met people in San Francisco who introduced me to friends who lived up near you. San Francisco was just turning nasty: the hippie flower people replaced with  heroin and the hard stuff.  Height Asbury was full of head shops.
The Volvo was of course  broken into and I had some clothes stolen in San Francisco. Right near Castro too. 
These guys had a lovely cabin in Laytonville at the top of a hill with a steep driveway and I do not remember what they did to earn money. Everyone was so "counter culture" then.  We mostly said we were "artists".
I did try to maintain the Volvo  well. But at some point I realized that duct tape was not going to be an attractive repair. People had started to point and wave at me right before I sold Hilda, assuring me that she still looked good and had achieved vintage status.  But someone else was going to have to take over the repairs.
I love Grace Slick....I'll bet Janice Joplin did the same thing.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 06:32:12 pm »
Michael
imagine what that 1958 Corvette is worth today!

I saw a 59 Corvette last night on EBAY.  The "buy it Now" price was $59,000.00.  My brother had a 1960 Corvette with two 4 barrel cards on a 327, he got $10,000.00 for it right after the 4th (of 5) daughter was born.  My mom had a 1962 with factory FI and Wonderbar radio.  My dad sold it after she died for $20,000.00 because his new wife didn't like it and gave her the money when he died (along with the house, trucks, and other cars).

There was an article in the San Francisco paper titled "There's Gold in Them Thar Hills" about the time Hilda was in Laytonville.  The story centered on the ghost town of Garberville, it past and it's new prosperity.  Those nice polite young long haired people were paying off their land in a year and buying new 4 wheel drives.  The market price for a pound of weed was set at an all time high of $1000.00 and the demand was high.  I went to a weekend party in Laytonville one summer.  Sly and the Family Stone, Malo, and Santana were performing.  It was on private ranch property and lasted for two days and two nights.  The guys collecting garbage were not collecting garbage.  The "artists" in the Laytonville cabin probably were artists but art doesn't always pay the rent.

Janis Joplin drove a Porche 356 B Cabriolet, it was a rolling hand painted mural with The Beatles on the right front fender.  Big Brother and the Holding Company played at a high school dance and I was grounded so could not go.  Jefferson Airplane did play at my prom.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 04:10:01 pm »
I suppose Prestige Motors in Santa Rosa is a nice dealership with all the latest equipment that money could buy but an ignition switch and cylinder were like too much cashola and they wouldn't even order the parts until paid if full.  Then, an order paid on Friday, would be called in on Monday and delivered to Prestige a week later.

I went online Thursday night and ordered the parts (at a huge savings) and two day delivery (my house).  Two days turned out to be two business days with delivery on Tuesday.  I got a return call from a fellow named Eric who said, their warehouse was in San Francisco and he hoped to offer Saturday delivery.  This morning, a nice person in a mini van delivered (next day), at the two day rate.  They even rebated a couple of bucks on the two day delivery ate.

At 10:00AM in cold rain, I get the thingie taken apart to find the whatchamadoodle requires a special tool.  There are instructions online to cut a #10 craftsman socket to fit, too much trouble.  My mechanic neighbor said he has an assortment of weird tools and something will fit the nuts and bolts.  His children are visiting this weekend so... first a special family day in Santa Rosa then the Saab Story will be running by tonight.  All within 6 days before the friends at Prestige Motors could deliver the part.  Having been stranded for about a week... what will I do on my first trip away from the house?  I think a J&B rocks w/ a water back at Rainbow Cattle Company  ;D Have the best day
Michael

Offline bear60

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 04:30:03 pm »
Ah Michael.  Arent metric parts  (read foreign car parts)  just faaaaaaaaabulous.
The only car that could (possibly) beat the SAAB story was the 1957 Renault Dauphine that my Dad purchased.  Everyone else bought VW's.  So in his infinite wisdom he went out and bought a Renault.  It was serviced by the Ford people. They had no clue.   It was a very strange car.   It had a tendancy to fishtail and roll over.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 04:38:16 pm »
Ah Michael.  Arent metric parts  (read foreign car parts)  just faaaaaaaaabulous.
The only car that could (possibly) beat the SAAB story was the 1957 Renault Dauphine that my Dad purchased.  Everyone else bought VW's.  So in his infinite wisdom he went out and bought a Renault.  It was serviced by the Ford people. They had no clue.   It was a very strange car.   It had a tendancy to fishtail and roll over.

My Aunt Mae had one of those, she rolled it on the Todd Road overpass when it was only a couple of years old.  Two of my friends from high school had them too, their cars survived   ;D ;D ;D  We pronounced Renault differently then Have the best day
Michael

Offline bear60

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 04:49:45 pm »
Michael.
Aunt Mae survived I hope. I remember the day my Mom rolled it.  Down a rather steep bank I might add. We carpooled since we lived out in the country and the bus service was slow or non existing.... I dont remember.  Any way....my family and two other families car pooled.  It was after school and Dr Larsh  picked  us up to take us home.  With that VERY serious face that grown ups get...that makes you go "uh oh, we are in trouble now!"  ...he said to my brother and me that our Mom was in the hospital.  She had broken something etc etc and we had to be brave and etc etc and be good boys.  Luckily my Mom survived it.  My Dad did go on to own a VW or two but no more Renaults.  Dr Larsh drove a 1958 Impala station wagon and smoked big fat cigars.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 05:08:47 pm »
Michael.
Aunt Mae survived I hope.

Hey Joel,

She lived for another 30 years for a total of 15 husbands.  She was married to Uncle Scott at that time and again in the 70's.  She was buried in Eloy Arizona with most of her sisters and at least 1 of her ex-husbands.  I rented a black IROC Camaro for the funeral.  ;D  We are planning on opening up the tomb this spring to add my mom and another of the sisters. Have the best day
Michael

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 10:39:02 pm »
I have been feeling a little crappy lately, having an "AIDS" week? ot two.  Awake all night and sleeping all day just like the undead.  Woke up this afternoon, the sun was shining and it was warm outside but more importantly, Dominic was finishing the work on the car.  It's all so simple now:
1. Put the key in the ignition and turn... the engine starts
2. Put he car in reverse, let out the clutch and it goes backward
3.  Put the car in 1st, let out the clutch and it goes forward

Something which never happened since I bought this car... Open two clamps, push a button and the top goes down and this is the really important part because... Sports cars are for sport ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.