Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:45:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 486
Total: 487

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Is unprotected oral sex really safe?  (Read 14393 times)

Offline worriedchen

Is unprotected oral sex really safe?
« on: December 10, 2009, 08:50:41 am »
Why I read a case that only exposed to unprotected oral sex tested positive in the forum?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Is unprotected oral sex really safe?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 09:33:01 am »
Do you have a specific incident which you are concerned about? We prefer to focus on specific details of a possible risk.
Andy Velez

Offline worriedchen

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 10:14:59 am »
This is my story. I had a sex with a Chinese sex worker in Singapore Geylang 3 months ago. She did two times of unprotected oral sex on me. I did not cum. However, I did not remember if I noticed any blood. I was so careless that I did not check. Worse, stupid as I was, I also tongued her ***** area for a few seconds. As I remembered, I did not dig into her vagina. She was dry and I did not taste any vaginal fluid. However, I can't said that I have a perfect oral health condition, as I do have bleeding (not too serious) sometimes during brushing. Moreover, I had a meal 30 mins prior I visited the house, soft food and I don't think I damaged my teeth/gum in any way. However, I can't be sure if any her vaginal fluid get into any open cut in my month. She then helped me to put on a condom and we started intercourse. At the middle of the intercourse, she said she felt pain and then I ask her to put off the first condom. I asked her to put in another condom and I continued until finished. So the vaginal sex should be protected.

Now, my questions are what's the level of my risk contacting HIV in that my very first and single incident? After searched and read hundreds of posts in this and other forums, I known that oral sex posted a low risk. However, I still cannot calm my feeling, I am so scared to get tested which I think I might be found out as the 'unlucky' one. I also heard that Singpore government is very strict on controlling the sex industry. They require the working girls to go for mandatory monthly checking including HIV monthly.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 10:56:18 am »
In the entire history of the epidemic there's never been a single case confirmed of a guy getting HIV from receiving a blowjob. Not one. So it's safe to say you aren't going to make history by becoming the first.

As far as giving oral, while it is theoretically risky, in the real world of HIV transmission just doesn't happen that way. Your saliva has over a dozen elements and proteins which very effectively prevent the transmission of viable HIV.

You are worrying needlessly. Just make sure you are consistently using condoms for vaginal and anal intercourse and you will be well protected sexually from HIV. 
Andy Velez

Offline worriedchen

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 04:43:14 pm »
Thanks. I am worried after reading nycpoz post in "Just Tested POZ" forum. He seems saying that he got HIV from just receiving unprotected oral sex.

Offline worriedchen

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 08:56:17 am »
Any answer to my question?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 09:04:50 am »
Reread all his posts. He had unprotected sex.

Offline worriedchen

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 10:08:29 am »
Thanks...

I know there is not a documented case of infection because of insertive oral-penis sex.
How about man giving cunnilingus, is there a documented case? I read some forum said there is a few cases.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 03:17:16 pm »
Giving oral is theoretically possible. But in the real world of HIV transmission just doesn't happen that way.

Your saliva has over a dozen elements and proteins which very effectively prevent the transmission of viable HIV.

You are worrying needlessly. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline worriedchen

Theoretically, what is the risk ranking?
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 08:12:37 am »
1. Giving fellatio
2. Receving fellatio
3. Giving Cunnilingus
4. Receiving Cunnilingus

Practically, which one(s) has(have) documented cases.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 08:40:17 am »
Chen, I have merged your latest thread with previous ones. Please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread.

You have already received responses to your concerns. We're not here for you to work the same territory again.
Andy Velez

Offline worriedchen

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 09:07:22 am »
Just want to know which action is the riskest? May I?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 09:14:13 am »
Receiving either are no risk. Giving is theoretically risky but the overwhelming evidence is that transmission doesn't happen from giving. Saliva is a very effective barrier against the transmission of viable HIV.

Give it up and get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline worriedchen

Cunnilingus HIV Risk (again)
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 07:58:09 am »
Why the experts in this forum said cunnilingus has no risk, but this document said that there was a case female-to-female infection, and another female-to-mail infection case?

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Transmission_9963.shtml.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Cunnilingus HIV Risk (again)
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 08:17:54 am »
Return to your original thread.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 08:32:49 am »
Chen, I have merged your threads. Please follow the rule which you ought to be familiar with by now and keep all of your entries in this one thread.

Of course you choose to focus on a SINGLE CASE out of the uncounted trillions of such sexual acts which have taken place. If you choose to be concerned there is a simple solution. Either don't have cunnilingus or if you do then use dental dams for that activity. After all, anytime you have sex with anything other than your hand there theoretically the possibility of risk. But given the rarity of such a case of transmission you have a way better chance of winning the lottery or getting hit by a bus than of getting infected through cunnilingus.

Make the choice for yourself that you are prepared to live with.
Andy Velez

Offline worriedchen

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 08:33:22 am »
Sorry Andy, RapidRod,

I will remember to stay in my thread.

I still cannot give up the thinking that I might be the unlucky one to get infected from oral sex, because there are so many websites say that there are a few documented cases.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 09:37:58 am »
Well keep on surfing the net and you will definitely come up with material to feed your worst fears. All without any solid basis in HIV science, but we can't stop you from doing that.

However, I can tell you that we are not going to discuss each and every tidbit you come up with to scare yourself with.

We've evaluated your situation. No risk. Period. If you continue to just come back with more about that you will very quickly find yourself getting a Time Out from the site for 28 days. If we thought you'd had a genuine risk we would have told you so. Get on with your life and stop indulging in all this unnecessary drama is what I have to say to you now.
Andy Velez

Offline worriedchen

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 08:50:20 am »
I still too scared to get test. Recently I caught a small illness and I recovered without taking antibiotic, but it takes me around 1 week. I am wondering how soon will HIV virus cause damage to one's immune system after contracted?

Moreover, I did not have any ARS symptoms for the past 4 months. Statistically, what's the percentage of people who contracted HIV do not have any ARS symptoms.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 08:55:08 am »
You didn't have ARS or would you, because you never had a risk as you have been advised.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 09:23:44 am »
You're "too scared" to get tested but you want to continue coming back here to have us take seriously a situation in which you have already been told you weren't at risk.

I can tell you that is not going to work here. If you can't let go of this unwarranted fear then get tested and collect the inevitable negative result. But if you just continue returning here to pick over details and symptoms and worry, well you are you going to very quickly find yourself getting a 28 day Time Out from the site.

You can put an end to your HIV worries very simply by getting tested. It's your choice.

Andy Velez

Offline worriedchen

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 07:02:41 pm »
To ann:

Do you have more information regarding the following?

"The third obstacle to transmission this way is having hiv present in the first place. The female secretion where hiv has been shown to be present is the cervicovaginal fluid. This fluid is actually a thick mucus that covers and protects the cervix.

The fluid a woman produces when sexually excited comes from the Bartholin's glands, located on either side of the vaginal opening. I have yet to discover one shred of evidence (and believe me, I've looked) that shows this lubricating fluid to have any more hiv present than other bodily secretions such as saliva, sweat or tears. Saliva, sweat and tears are NOT infectious fluids."

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 07:18:32 pm »
chen,

More information how? It's self explanatory.

For the last time, going down on a woman is NOT a risk for hiv infection. Keep coming back here to fret about this is going to end with you being given a time out.

PLEASE CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED FOR THE VERY LAST TIME!!!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline worriedchen

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 07:59:49 am »
Ann, sorry for my over post. I truly want to believe your accessment of the risk of my exposure. However, a part of myself don't allow me to given up. Reading your above statement regarding cunniligus is really a big relief. I just wondering if you can send out any link, referrence or documents that support the statement. That will be a BIG help to me.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 08:15:36 am »
Chen,

I know what I know about hiv transmission due to years of reading up on the subject, as well as living it in my own life. I don't really have time to search out the links you want. Presumably you also have Google?

Have a look at the oral transmission chart I've provided below. Please note the bottom line where the number of hiv transmissions for any kind of oral is ZERO right across the board.

I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

[attachment deleted by admin]
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.