Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:29:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 179
Total: 181

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What I’m Thankful For Every Single Thanksgiving  (Read 4063 times)

Offline slb

What I’m Thankful For Every Single Thanksgiving
« on: November 24, 2018, 02:42:41 pm »
And then there's my friend Bruce, one of the most engaging people I ever met in my entire life, who was diagnosed HIV+ soon after my own diagnosis in October 1985.  As our grim prognosis became clear, and as we grappled in our late twenties with the reality of our undeniable death sentences, we both decided to go to grad school in 1989.  I entered a history Ph.D program, he a rigorous, multi-year program studying acupuncture.  Bruce was already quite established as a RN, but he wanted to pursue his dream of mastering Chinese medicine.  Our bond as friends solidified further as we both embarked on this irrational and ridiculous venture to reinvent our professional lives when our lives had already been deemed to soon be over. 

I would call Bruce on the phone and ask in my typically self-doubting and obsessive manner:  “Are we the only people on this planet crazy enough to be starting graduate programs that are the very essence of delayed gratification, of working long and hard for a goal many years in the future—  when we’re completely aware that we don’t have that future??” 

That question certainly applied to Bruce, whose acupuncture program would take three or four years to complete; but it was even more true for me, as history Ph.D programs take on average some seven years to complete, and quite typically take longer.  Were we really that crazy to be entering four- and seven-year programs when we were already in our fourth year since our diagnosis and when the life-expectancy of people diagnosed with HIV was no longer than seven years?  Why would I be stupid enough to start a Ph.D program in September 1989 when I was expected to  be dead by the end of 1992?? 

I will never forget Bruce’s sardonic answer to my anguished question:  “Don’t worry.  You’ll be fine until you graduate.  Then you’ll drop dead.”

And that’s exactly what happened to him.

When he died less than a year after graduating, all of us who loved and adored Bruce couldn’t help but wonder whether it was that god damn acupuncture program, with its long hours and grueling work, that did him in— not exactly a frivolous question, since he died not long before the cocktail appeared on the scene in 1996.  We now know that 1995— that fateful year before the cocktail’s appearance— saw the largest number of people die of AIDS in the US.  Just another bit of painful irony of the AIDS years.  How many of our loved ones had to hold on for just a few more months, a few more weeks, a few more days, before being blessed to experience the Lazarus Effect that the cocktail brought forth?  How many would still be here if they had reduced their stress level just a little bit, or had taken pains not to push themselves too much, in those final few months before salvation?  So, it’s more than natural to wonder whether Bruce would have survived had he stuck to nursing and not pursued that crazy dream of his.  But, at the same time, it’s natural to wonder whether he would have perished even sooner had he not pursued his passion and threw himself into work that sustained him. 

These were questions that preoccupied me as I pushed forward in that Ph.D program of mine, as I spent two years doing research in Eastern Europe, and as I worked around the clock writing my dissertation (my “magnum opus” that I considered to be my life’s work).  Was it this work and passion of mine that was keeping me going?  Was I beating HIV because I had something to live for?  Is this the secret to survival?

I had read somewhere that Golda Meir, the Prime Minister of Israel in the early 1970s, had secretly suffered from leukemia the entire time she was Prime Minister and had endured regular bouts of chemotherapy throughout her tenure.  But she was able to hold off the disease— until she left office.  Once she was no longer doing her “life’s work,”  however, she was a gonner— and she died six years later. 

So I worried what my fate would be when I finally finished my Ph.D and finished my "magnum opus."  Would I be a dead duck as well?  A month after my dissertation was published, I confided to my friend Barbara that I feared that the only thing keeping me alive was this work I was doing, and that I would decline and die the minute I was done. 

“It doesn’t work that way,” she angrily replied.  She spoke from experience, as her husband (even more creative and productive than I) had just died after a long illness.  Three weeks later, she herself would die in a freak accident, even though she had everything to live for, had productive work that more than sustained her, and had a whole slew of creative projects lined up.  I guess it really doesn’t work that way.  Her senseless death taught me that there's no sense to any of it. 

I now know that I’m alive not because I have work to do, not because I have a fervent passion in my life, but simply because I drew the luck of the draw:  I am among the mere three in a hundred who have the genes to hold off the virus (not forever, but three times as long as everyone else).  And what my genes were able to do for twenty-nine years, the HIV drugs have continued to do over the subsequent nine. 

So I want to publicly and uproariously scream out my thanks for beating the odds and being allowed to continue on in my life, while mourning all those wonderful souls who weren’t so lucky.  And I pray with all my being that I continue to live a life worthy of such a blessing. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 02:57:07 pm by slb »

Offline em

Re: What I’m Thankful For Every Single Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 11:11:21 am »
thank you for sharing your story a great inspiration

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.