Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:37:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 301
Total: 301

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Latest results - mini-crisis on hold  (Read 3277 times)

Offline gemini20

Latest results - mini-crisis on hold
« on: April 11, 2007, 12:20:03 pm »
Remember that mini-crisis just over a month ago when my t-cells were falling fast? Well I did nothing about it (apart from some counselling to try and address my 'issues' with treatment), and decided to hold out for the next set of bloods.

Today the numbers are in:

T-cells have risen ever so slightly from 157 to 177

% has dropped from 15.2 to 12.2%

Viral load has gone up from 8,633 to 24,022

I am hugely relieved as I was fully expecting t-cells to be down in territory that I have never been i.e. below 100 but thankfully not there yet.

And so my decision remains the same - I am staying off the HIV meds at this point in time and for the foreseeable future. However I will continue with Septrin while my counts are below 200.

My doctor wants me back in 8 weeks which suits me fine, the caveat being that if I feel unwell at any point between now and then, I must go straight to the clinic and get checked out.

Phew, I am so relieved and thankful to get another two months addition to my treatment break. I will continue to do my best to stay well and healthy but recognise also that there are risks in my strategy.

Just wanted you all to know where things are with me.

Best wishes,

Emma  :)

Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Latest results - mini-crisis on hold
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 12:27:26 pm »
Thanks for the update, Emma. That sounds like a good, watchful plan. It's always good to hear of a doc who's paying good attention.

Keeping fingers crossed that the numbers go the right way.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline macholicious

• Teacher by day Hooker at night.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 12:32:04 pm »
I hope your numbers continue to rise.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 12:32:23 pm »
Emma, have your ever thought, you might go like this for years and years, doing it your way  :)

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline gemini20

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 12:39:08 pm »
Matt - I'd like to think I could go for a few more years doing it 'my way' - after 16 years with HIV I seem to have worked out what works for me so I'll stick with it until I get proved wrong!

Emma

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 09:03:01 pm »
Oh Emma......

good, good, good, good, good. 

I like this.  And now that winter is finally over and spring has sprung, I think you'll do just fine (at least I'm hoping!)

robert

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 09:10:21 pm »
"HIV Emma's Way" - Sounds like a top seller.....   Please keep your watchful I on everything Em....  If it aint broke don't fix it....

Love Ya Hon..

Eric
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 10:00:25 pm by Life »

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 09:22:30 pm »
how long have you been off drugs

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 09:28:15 pm »
Such good news Emma, considering the circumstances. I hope you're able to stay med free for as long as possible too. Just keep an eye on that sneaky CD4 %. ;) :-*

With great fondness,

MtD

Offline gemini20

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 03:02:14 am »
Jack - I have been off meds for 18 months now. My last treatment break was from 2000-2004, I don't expect to last another 4 years this time around but I'm happy getting each extra month.

and yes Matty I will keep an eye on the % - it was down at 10% a couple of months ago so I'm just pleased it didn't fall back to that this time.

Emma

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 03:08:00 am »
and yes Matty I will keep an eye on the % - it was down at 10% a couple of months ago so I'm just pleased it didn't fall back to that this time.

I know what ya mean babe. My % was 10 in January up from 5% in November 2006. Ghastly.

Huggles,

MtD

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 08:06:25 am »
Hi Emma,

I hope things stay stable this way for a long time. Because I am interested in your approach but have far less experience: did you have a genotype resistance test after your first stint of the meds?

thanks

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 08:15:22 am »
gonna start calling you Frank  :)  :)

keep up the good work..

kate

Offline dad1216

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 09:49:14 am »
Emma....

I am so glad you are happy with your current numbers, I know that you were really concerned.  I would do a happy dance for you, but the body refuses to cooperate. 

There are few of us that are taking this approach of "HIV Emma's Way" and you know that I support your decision.  You are an inspiration to me.

So I have to quote you again:

Ultimately I know that I go to bed each night happy in the knowledge that I am in control of my own destiny

.....that has given me peace and strength many times as I let nature take its course....

:-* :-*

Bob
23 years HIV+ (Oct 88)
11 years AIDS (March 00)

CD4=83  VL=47,000  (May 2011)
CD4=63  VL=78,470  (Oct 2010)
Prezista..Norvir..Truvada

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.