Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:39:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 228
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Woman Tries To Crash Car Into W.H. Gates and Then Capital  (Read 11723 times)

Offline tednlou2

Woman Tries To Crash Car Into W.H. Gates and Then Capital
« on: October 03, 2013, 03:07:06 pm »
http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nbcnews.com/53177382

Modified to add another link.  The one above is LIVE coverage that will come to an end. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/03/capitol-lockdown_n_4038560.html
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:11:25 pm by tednlou2 »

Offline mitch777

Re: Woman Tries To Crash Car Into W.H. Gates and Then Capital
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 08:46:32 pm »
the continuous news coverage of one unstable women is flabbergasting. sometimes the media is as bad at prioritizing what is important more than politicians. ::) :o
this event might have been worthy of a mention but it all ended in minutes yet the coverage went on for hours.
1000 more important issues to bring to our attention. they constantly report on others lack of priorities but don't seem to realize that they do the same thing.
ah... networks, ratings, $$.
rant over.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 09:14:56 pm »
the continuous news coverage of one unstable women is flabbergasting. sometimes the media is as bad at prioritizing what is important more than politicians. ::) :o
this event might have been worthy of a mention but it all ended in minutes yet the coverage went on for hours.
1000 more important issues to bring to our attention. they constantly report on others lack of priorities but don't seem to realize that they do the same thing.
ah... networks, ratings, $$.
rant over.

Mitch , you are going to offend our junior reporter Tedscooplou if you keep knocking the news   ;)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 10:21:27 pm »
Will it start a trend ?
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 01:16:00 am »
Mitch, I get what you're saying.  Having said that, I do think this was newsworthy, especially given the political climate.  When someone has tried to climb the White House fence, that is usually something that gets a small mention on the news. 

But, attempting to breach barricades and leading agents on a chase to the Capital is something that deserves more coverage, when she was shot and killed with her baby next to her.  And, this woman putting her baby at risk makes me wonder what caused her to snap.  I mean, when Michael Jackson died, all the networks were on with special reports.  The Today Show led their broadcast today with the news of the Jackson/AEG verdict.  Now, that is ridiculous. 

But, I get what you're saying.  The cable news channels just go on and on, repeating the same things.  They stretch it out to get the most out of it.  But, they would just be airing Crossfire and other yelling match shows.  Yes, Crossfire is back.  The networks came on with special reports, but were off the air within 30 minutes.  The network evening newscasts led with it, but then went on to cover other stories. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 10:55:30 am »
Mitch , you are going to offend our junior reporter Tedscooplou if you keep knocking the news   ;)

lol. I guess I watch too much MSNBC. got cranky. :(  Tedscooplou knows I love his reporting. :)

Mitch, I get what you're saying.  Having said that, I do think this was newsworthy, especially given the political climate.  When someone has tried to climb the White House fence, that is usually something that gets a small mention on the news. 

But, attempting to breach barricades and leading agents on a chase to the Capital is something that deserves more coverage, when she was shot and killed with her baby next to her.  And, this woman putting her baby at risk makes me wonder what caused her to snap.  I mean, when Michael Jackson died, all the networks were on with special reports.  The Today Show led their broadcast today with the news of the Jackson/AEG verdict.  Now, that is ridiculous. 

But, I get what you're saying.  The cable news channels just go on and on, repeating the same things.  They stretch it out to get the most out of it.  But, they would just be airing Crossfire and other yelling match shows.  Yes, Crossfire is back.  The networks came on with special reports, but were off the air within 30 minutes.  The network evening newscasts led with it, but then went on to cover other stories. 

I agree in was newsworthy, just not THAT newsworthy. Those TV talking heads need to get back to basics. It happens every day but I just chose yesterday to get pissy about it. I feel better now.  :)

Thanks Ted. You go gurl. :)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 10:59:48 am »
There is a nice story out there now about Big Foot ... Ted , get on it .  ;)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 02:49:50 pm »
There is a nice story out there now about Big Foot ... Ted , get on it .  ;)

I saw that on Facebook and how there is "high-def video or pics or something, but I passed over it.  It could be the real deal, though.  I gave that story to my more junior reporter-- see below. 

Mitch, I didn't take offense.  I knew you were basically aiming at the cable networks for the non-stop coverage. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 03:12:31 pm »
I saw that on Facebook and how there is "high-def video or pics or something, but I passed over it.  It could be the real deal, though.  I gave that story to my more junior reporter-- see below. 

Mitch, I didn't take offense.  I knew you were basically aiming at the cable networks for the non-stop coverage. 

Cute cub reporter. :)

I knew you knew Ted. It was just Jeff trying to stir up trouble again. :)

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 06:00:57 pm »
Will it start a trend ?

Well, there are news reports (just now) of a man setting himself on fire on the National Mall.  This isn't as spectacular as a car chase, so I doubt this gets the non-stop coverage. 

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 06:51:07 pm »
I'd much rather see Harry Reid getting testy with CNN's Dana Bash over Kids with cancer than people setting themselves on fire, or car chases.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 07:01:19 pm »
These days, there's plenty of news available about everything and anything, big or small deal.  Its not like you can't learn about big events, if the mainstream coverage of the day is something seemingly small, or trivial...

Is it true most americans are watching just FOX News?   Well that's a travesty bigger than cnn losing its mojo....   I only see the clips on Daily Show.  What he showed from FOX News the last few days made my brain melt.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:03:22 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mitch777

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 07:05:01 pm »
These days, there's plenty of news available about everything and anything, big or small deal.  Its not like you can't learn about big events, if the mainstream coverage of the day is something seemingly small, or trivial...
ya. bla. it's still pathetic.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 07:09:01 pm »

Is it true most americans are watching just FOX News?   

Yes.

and Before Miss Pee pounces... I primarily watch/listen to CNBC during the day, but I do switch back and forth between Fox and CNN early in the morning or late at night. You really have to do that to get an Idea of what is REALLY going on, the truth is somewhere in between those 2.

Although IMHO CNN does better breaking news coverage. ie- Car chase shoot-outs.

And that MSNBC *shudder*, well that's something else.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mitch777

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 07:16:50 pm »
this ^ from a Texan. grain of salt. ::)
(thought I would save Miss P. the time)

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 07:24:49 pm »
MSNBC is obviously left.  Having said that, I do think they do factual reports on the issues they do choose to cover.  They will pounce on Republicans, but hey, it's so easy.  But, they don't just make up stuff like FOX.  I don't care for Ed Shultz.  Chris can be annoying how he interrupts.  Rachel is good.  And, during the day, out and proud news anchor, Thomas Roberts is good, as well as Tamron Hall. 

Compare their morning shows.  Many may not care for Morning Joe, but they do try to have honest debates.  FOX and Friends is worse than Hannity.

Offline mecch

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 07:47:28 pm »
What I see on Daily Show of Fox News is always baldfaced lies and spin.
Why someone would think the truth lies between Fox and CNN is beyond me...
More like between CNN and MSNBC.  I don't think Rachel Maddow makes things up whole hog.... 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 11:46:17 pm »
What I see on Daily Show of Fox News is always baldfaced lies and spin.
Why someone would think the truth lies between Fox and CNN is beyond me...
More like between CNN and MSNBC.  I don't think Rachel Maddow makes things up whole hog....

Way off topic here..... Is it bald-faced lies or bold-face lies?  I always say bold-faced.  However, my late Harvard uncle would always argue it is bald-faced.  I noticed Miss P used bold-faced recently, and we know she is smarts.  Perhaps I should have put this in the I'm Bored thread. 

About CNN, I would love to ask Jon Stewart what he'd have them change.  It is obvious that he thinks they have lost a lot of their credibility and stature.  He hated Crossfire and they canceled it-- although they have brought it back from the dead.  He makes fun of how they were using "holograms" to interview people.  People prefer news channels that lean toward their political views.  CNN is stuck trying to play it unbiased, which can be boring for many.  And, being objective doesn't mean you have to do tit for tat-- "Obama says this and Boener says that.  You decide who is telling the truth."

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 12:36:44 am »
Sort of related, if you want a real flavour of America, trying reading the comments in the New York Times and then go to Fox, especially Todd Starnes columns.  The difference is beyond stark and I had no idea of the hatred held by so many Republicans.  The language and sentiments are obscene and there is little, if any, actual dialogue and facts are strictly forbidden.

Thank you Congress, for allowing American education to be stripped to the bones.  Now I KNOW how these folks get elected.

Joe

Offline mecch

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 04:46:59 am »
Peoples beef with CNN is the same one raised in this thread.  Saying too many trivial and speculative things to fill a 24 hour news channel.  There is an "event" so you go to the "event", go live, and end up saying anything and a lot of it is stupid. 

While you might have rather done some reporting about something real and significant.  Somewhere locally, nationally, or internationally.  But reporting is expensive and takes time...

___

Obviously people prefer news that reflects their place on the political spectrum. The mistake these days is that Fox News isn't a very good news source, its intent seems to be propaganda for the Right.   Its 24-hour spin, propaganda and lies.  Well thats the impression I get. 

It's not IRONIC that we see in politics the same thing we see in the media landscape. A majority of people willing to live by facts and negotiation and compromise, for the common good, and smaller band of zealots who manage to have enough power to be muck things up.

When i lived in NY I read the WSJ and the NYT every day and the WSJ wasn't a pile of lies and there were some things I really liked about it.

Maybe society deserves a paradigm shift for television news...  Clearly the US could use a "responsible" right media outlet, just as it could use a responsible, fact based Republican party... 

CNN can still be OK. BBC is good but they don't produce podcasts for the international market.   Al Jazeera has done good investigative reports for several years now and they are available as podcasts. 

I watch most of my American news as podcasts so I watch the NBC nightly news (maybe a few times a week, and also if Im interested in the lead story or not) and Rachel Maddow, and CNN has a good daily podcast of 3-4 short news items called StudentNews.  I'll watch nightly news from Paris once or twice a week, same for French language news in Switzerland.  I don't speak German and I'd guess they have an interesting news culture with some serious products, so its a pity for me.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_the_correct_term_'bold_face_lie'_or_'bald_faced_lie'_or_another_variation
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:00:20 am by mecch »

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 08:17:44 am »
News should NOT have a political slant.  News should be the reporting of facts.  Some may stray much farther from that standard than others -- but it seems that they pretty much all do stray now.  The news shows are more concerned with generating revenue.  You do that by delivering eyes and one way to do that is have "Breaking News" (notice how breaking news now remains "breaking" for hours, if not days.....).

The blending of vapid talking heads into the "news" has been the downfall.  I don't really care what a news anchor "thinks" about a story.  If I wanted that sort of entertainment, I'd put on a talk show. 
(I know I'm going to slammed for this, but the only difference between a Palin and a Maddow is how far they are willing to bend the facts to fit their worldview.)

M

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 08:23:40 am »
News should NOT have a political slant. 

Barbara please. Surely an astute reader of history would be aware of the political slant of The Pennsylvania Chronicle in 1770. Unless, of course, you consider yourself more intelligent than Benniebenben Franklin.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 08:26:30 am »
I learned in my studies and my career there is really not much hope of any representation of facts to be neutral. There is always bias in what is selected, how it is edited, and what is said by the news presenter.. 

But in general, I agree. At least we want facts, not fabrications. 

Offline mecch

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 08:28:17 am »
I think the current dilemma has something to do with this frequent leftist critique. What we have now is "flat Earth and round Earth" presented as if its two reasonable counterpoints.... 
(Round Earth is fact.  Flat Earth is not.)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2013, 08:31:09 am »
I learned in my studies and my career there is really not much hope of any representation of facts to be neutral. There is always bias in what is selected, how it is edited, and what is said by the news presenter.. 

But in general, I agree. At least we want facts, not fabrications. 

Agree
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 08:38:21 am »
I have noticed that many of the senior citizens I know have trouble distinguishing between what is fact and what is punditry , actually its not just seniors lots of people do that .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2013, 09:27:15 am »
My grandma in her 90's had the tv on all day and she had impressive critical thinking skills.  She never stopped learning. For example, she went to university after she retired. 

Life-long learning is one of the education buzzwords in recent years...

Offline mitch777

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2013, 05:19:22 pm »
I think one of the smartest people in news today is Chris Hayes. Nerdy cute, a great sense of humor, and usually has both points of view presented. Sure he is a lefty but he seems to have more integrity than most.
He gets into the nitty-gritty details of a topic by using a more fact based analysis.
Did I say he is cute?

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 06:48:48 pm »
I think one of the smartest people in news today is Chris Hayes. Nerdy cute, a great sense of humor, and usually has both points of view presented. Sure he is a lefty but he seems to have more integrity than most.
He gets into the nitty-gritty details of a topic by using a more fact based analysis.
Did I say he is cute?

I think he is the male Maddow.  I thought for a year he was family, but learned he was a breeder.  ;) Maddow has a way of explaining issues, so even someone with trouble following things could follow it.  She doesn't do the shout-downs.  It really feels like you're in a university class, but one more interesting.  Palin and Maddow??  Death panels vs what?  As I said, MSNBC obviously has a point of view.  But, they use facts.  They want progressive ideals to succeed-- helping the poor, middle class, environment, etc.  I liked Olbermann, but his style got too annoying.  I think his style had a place, when the media was given Bush a free pass after 9/11 and leading up to Iraq, and after. 

FOX wants mega-wealthy folks to have more money, while pushing conspiracy theories about the IRS, Benghazi, and how Obama's patriotism is still questionable.  FOX has been known to put Democrat by the names of republicans in a scandal.  They did that with Mark Foley, the gay repub trying to molest pages.  I think they thought their viewers wouldn't know who he was and would just assume a gay Congressmen was a dem. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2013, 09:07:24 pm »
  I thought  Palin and Maddow??  Death panels vs what?   

exactly.
 Mike, enough of playing "sitting on the fence". I often don't know where you stand by your statements. This forum is not the corporate world that you live in. It's just us. Palin, Maddow? I get your point but I wish you tell us what you really believe.

ps- you know I love you dear. :)

Offline bocker3

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2013, 11:13:30 pm »
exactly.
 Mike, enough of playing "sitting on the fence". I often don't know where you stand by your statements. This forum is not the corporate world that you live in. It's just us. Palin, Maddow? I get your point but I wish you tell us what you really believe.

ps- you know I love you dear. :)

What?  Someone can not be between Palin and Maddow?  Really???  The us or them, with no crossing is why we are where we are today.  I am not sitting on a fence, I am just being me, an independent.

For the record, I am far closer to Maddow than Palin, but I can not stand Maddow's show.  She may not make up facts like Palin, but she picks those that fit and ignores the others.  Of course, I do not really watch any talking heads with any regularity.  I would rather listen to Judge Judy.

So, if you want to know what I believe - ask.  I am not shy and thought I've been clear.

M
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:15:35 pm by bocker3 »

Offline mitch777

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2013, 03:52:26 pm »

(I know I'm going to slammed for this, but the only difference between a Palin and a Maddow is how far they are willing to bend the facts to fit their worldview.)

M
I guess I see far more differences between the two. A hypocritical hate mongering selfish lying stardom seeking idiot politician vs. a liberal minded intelligent reporter who presents things in a factual manor.

"In between"?  I'm just not understanding this whole way of thinking as it was presented. I have my doubts Palin is capable of having a world view but if she somehow actually has one her world view is overshadowed by who she is as a person. It's not left vs. right, it's right vs. wrong. I'm all for listening to different sides  when logic and truth are involved but Palin has neither. You may not like Maddow's style but their differences go far beyond fact bending.

I respect your independent political beliefs but putting those two on the same playing field in your statement just through me for a loop. My apologies for replying inappropriately earlier. :-[

As far as Rachael goes, yes she presents topics with a strong liberal focus but so do most others no matter which political party they favor. I honestly think her reporting is based on facts.

I too wish logic and compromise were able to happen but we seem to be in a cycle of extreme polarization
due in most part IMO to the mindset of the tea party. Sometimes you just have to put the blame where it belongs. (and vote them out of office if that's even possible these days)

Offline bocker3

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2013, 04:15:09 pm »
I respect your independent political beliefs but putting those two on the same playing field in your statement just through me for a loop. My apologies for replying inappropriately earlier. :-[

Well, to be honest, I used Palin to get folks attention -- the names were simply representative of the far right and far left.  Believe me, I put Palin in the same category as Bachman -- that being batshit crazy.
My point was that it doesn't matter what polar end you are on -- left or right -- the bias exists and blinds you to seeing anything outside of your beliefs (a gross overgeneralization, but directionally pretty on point, I think).
I am definitely left of center, but I am in the minority on these forums, where folks are far more to the left than I, so I may, at times, "over-steer" in my posts.

BTW -- I do believe that this current shutdown is absolutely a one-sided affair.  The Tea Party has the ball-less John Boehner doing their bidding for fear of losing is position.  That is beyond the pale, in my mind.  If the Continuing Resolution was brought to a vote in the House, I believe the Dems and the moderate Repubs would get the government open again.  The Debt Ceiling crisis (if it happens) will also be all on the Repubs -- I do not think we should negotiate the next budget, while holding the current expenses hostage.  The debt ceiling needs to rise due to Congress' earlier spending authorizations, not because of the next budget.
Once we get past these two things, I think we will see the problem of heel digging from both sides again and , yet again, Congress will not pass a budget.

So -- no need to apologize dear. I try not to take politics personally with friends.  Reasonable people can disagree and still be reasonable.

Hugs,
Mike

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2013, 04:28:50 pm »
Any one old enough to remember Dan Ackroyd and Jane Curtain doing point counter point on Saturday Night Live , you guys remind me of them LOL .

Jane , you ignorant slut , not only am I for abortion I would have performed the procedure myself if I was around during your mothers pregnancy .

That was my fave .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2013, 04:39:30 pm »
Well, to be honest, I used Palin to get folks attention -- the names were simply representative of the far right and far left.  Believe me, I put Palin in the same category as Bachman -- that being batshit crazy.
My point was that it doesn't matter what polar end you are on -- left or right -- the bias exists and blinds you to seeing anything outside of your beliefs (a gross overgeneralization, but directionally pretty on point, I think).
I am definitely left of center, but I am in the minority on these forums, where folks are far more to the left than I, so I may, at times, "over-steer" in my posts.

BTW -- I do believe that this current shutdown is absolutely a one-sided affair.  The Tea Party has the ball-less John Boehner doing their bidding for fear of losing is position.  That is beyond the pale, in my mind.  If the Continuing Resolution was brought to a vote in the House, I believe the Dems and the moderate Repubs would get the government open again.  The Debt Ceiling crisis (if it happens) will also be all on the Repubs -- I do not think we should negotiate the next budget, while holding the current expenses hostage.  The debt ceiling needs to rise due to Congress' earlier spending authorizations, not because of the next budget.
Once we get past these two things, I think we will see the problem of heel digging from both sides again and , yet again, Congress will not pass a budget.

So -- no need to apologize dear. I try not to take politics personally with friends.  Reasonable people can disagree and still be reasonable.

Hugs,
Mike

Thanks Mike.

While you do tend to "over-steer" at times, I tend to "over-react". lol.

It's nice to hear your views especially when you come down on one side or the other. I know being independent doesn't mean you side equally on all issues but we all have to call a spade a spade at times.
I especially liked when you called out Boehner as ball-less and Bachman as batshit crazy. Plenty more spades in the tool shed. :)

I'd ask you who compares on the other side of the aisle but I'm afraid. Very afraid. :) A topic for another day, or not.

Hugs,
Mark

ps-lol Jeff.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2013, 05:04:53 pm »
I read there are 195 Dems and 21 or 23 moderate repubs to get a clean CR passed and stop this shutdown today.  But, Boner is looking out for himself.  He doesn't want to lose his position.  He has to go along with the tea-baggers, even though he wished they were gone.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2013, 05:24:56 pm »
A ball-less Boner. Such a disappointment. :)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 05:35:07 pm by mitch777 »

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2013, 06:32:12 pm »
Here is a prime example of the difference between FOX and MSNBC. 

A FOX anchor takes a story from a parody news site that Obama is going to personally pay to keep the Muslim Museum open.  She goes on to say how the RNC is paying to keep the WW2 memorial open, to say repubs are true patriots and Obama really is the Islamic sleeper cell. 

While MSNBC does have a big slant toward progressive issues, they would not have fallen for this or ran with it.  FOX didn't even bother to fact check it, because their fact checking team is a rat in Sean Hannities dressing room.  Even if they make a correction, the damage is done.  But, I'm sure most their viewers wouldn't believe the correction anyway. 

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/fox-news-mistakenly-airs-parody-of-obama-offering-to-personally-fund-muslim-museum-233837793.html

Offline mitch777

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2013, 06:47:47 pm »

A FOX anchor takes a story from a parody news site that Obama is going to personally pay to keep the Muslim Museum open.  She goes on to say how the RNC is paying to keep the WW2 memorial open, to say repubs are true patriots and Obama really is the Islamic sleeper cell. 

While MSNBC does have a big slant toward progressive issues, they would not have fallen for this or ran with it.  FOX didn't even bother to fact check it, because their fact checking team is a rat in Sean Hannities dressing room.  Even if they make a correction, the damage is done.  But, I'm sure most their viewers wouldn't believe the correction anyway. 

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/fox-news-mistakenly-airs-parody-of-obama-offering-to-personally-fund-muslim-museum-233837793.html
Pathetic. Just another day in the life of Fox News.

ps- I'm sure the rat is fed well. Hope to god that he never needs food stamps or medical care.

pps- Faux News IS a parody news site.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2013, 10:26:50 pm »

Yes Ted, MSNBC is "less bad" than Faux News.  If that is your sole criteria, than you are correct.

However -- with that, I will step away from here, because none of you are catching my point.  So maybe I'm not being clear or I'm simply wasting my time.

Mike

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2013, 05:00:08 pm »
Why wait through television commercials to watch someone read the news from a teleprompter when the internet provides more detailed information from more sources even faster?

Offline mitch777

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2013, 05:56:38 pm »
Times have changed in politics and media. They both react to one another and it is a reflection of life in America today.

Would it be nice to have the news media be more unbiased? Would it be nice if politicians could actually listen to each other? Are we more polarized today as a society? Yes, yes, yes.

So what has happened in recent years? A bunch of batshit Teaparty Republicans have taken a strong foothold in the congress in large part due to Gerrymandering.
They IMHO are incapable of logic or compassion. The trend in media today reflects this. I wish I could have more hope that reasonable minds could come together but at this point in our countries history I do not. How does one negotiate with those that think along the lines of Bachman, Cruz, etc.? Should they?? Should politicians have negotiated with McCarthy? Helms? Should the media have remained neutral?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.