Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 05:36:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 203
Total: 203

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mark S. Dorough (1958 - 1990)  (Read 16099 times)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Mark S. Dorough (1958 - 1990)
« on: February 02, 2008, 08:32:08 pm »
You left way too soon, honey.    You were a character, that's for sure.   I can't tell you how many times I've laughed at our antics together, growing up queer in Alabama.   Ah, for the days you could made good prank phone calls....caller I.D. has eliminated that!  All our piano recitals, our trips, and even my first time to a gay bar...we sure packed a lot into your 30 years on this planet didn't we?

Who would have ever guessed that a little hairdresser like you would have had it in you to FIGHT like you did!   You fought a good fight honey, but AIDS was so much stronger, and we had nothing to battle it with except that awful AZT.
We even tried going to that quacko doctor who was heating peoples' blood and putting it back into them.....but you were just too far gone.

I can still see you, less than 100 lbs, KS lesions all over you, and carrying a protest sign at the CDC in Atlanta.  I know you wouldn't believe that I am still here today.....when you were dying, I was still relatively healthy and only "HIV positive".....then came full-blown AIDS, disability, the protease drugs, and voila...I'm an old man of 51!  If only you could have held on awhile longer.   I'm sorry I never made your quilt panel like I promised you, but I haven't given up on the idea.   I checked, and the Names Project is still accepting panels!  I am thinking of maybe making a combined one for you and Kevin....Diz and Viv, memorialized together.

You would have been so proud of your Mother and Dad.   I sure was.   They stepped up to the plate and took care of you.   The shame and embarrassment they had to go through was unbelievable.....that funeral home wouldn't embalm you, but would only put you in a body bag.   When I went in their bathroom, I peed on their wallpaper.....at least I got a tiny bit of payback.

We'll all be together again one of these days.   Save me a seat, ok?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 08:48:53 pm by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline AlanBama

Re: Mark S. Dorough (1958 - 1990)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 07:59:45 pm »
Here's your Quilt Panel honey......

I know, I know.....it only took me 18 years to get around to making it!

It has your favorite things on it:  music, musical instruments, and dogs.   I couldn't find any fabric with little hairdresser scissors on it.  Actually, my friend Sue did the sewing.   If I had my own machine, it would have been MUCH more flawless...a few rhinestones, at least.   She thought a "quilt" had to be quilted and pieced and made like a quilt....obviously, she has never seen the AIDS Quilt. But I'm thankful to her for it, she did a great job.

I submitted it to the Names Project, along with a bio and photograph.   Too bad your Mom didn't get to see it.

with love always,

Alan

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 11:23:47 pm by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline AlanBama

Re: Mark S. Dorough (1958 - 1990)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 12:35:00 pm »
Another birthday passes, and you are not here so we can celebrate it.

I still love you and miss you tremendously honey.....

Love you, Aunt Diz...

:'(

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.