Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:06:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 231
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Lab Results & Chili-Cheese Fries and Ice Cream have come home to Roost  (Read 14115 times)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
My 'throw caution to the wind' diet has finally caught up with me. My Cholesterol is high for the first time ever in my life. I'm wondering if the meds have caused this, specifically the Epzicom.

Tri- 189
Chol- 230

Nothing drastic yet, but Doc is starting me on Fish Oil 2x/daily.

Regarding the chest pain and dizziness while jogging, She is sending me for an EKg, and then most likely will follow up with a stress test. In the meantime she says I can continue to exercise, but no jogging, only walking.

In other news, I am Ud with a CD4 of 812.

Guess I will go eat some celery. ::)

-Will

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: Lab Results & Chili-Cheese Fries and Ice Cream have come home to Roost
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 07:30:44 pm »

Great Numbers Will, I'm Jealous , now lay off the Fast Food, and that's an ORDER  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 07:43:42 pm »
Great CD4s and VL numbers Will -

Suggestion that won't cramp your love of fast food too too much -

lay off the fried foods - get the burgers but no fries and throw in at least 2 or 3 salad dishes a week -

Also, don't add salt to anything.

I did just those few things above and cut my triglycerides from over 300 to 153 (just a few points above the high point of normal)

It may have also helped that doc put me on Lopid twice a day - but to be honest - I usually only take it 3 days a week, one time a day...

Let us know how the EKG and stress test go.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 09:36:12 pm »
I'm wondering if the meds have caused this

That's right girl -- crappy diet and now you want to blame your meds.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Growler

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 11:27:02 pm »
I have one word to say, Bulimia.
You can have your chilli fries and eat them too!

100 million teenage girls can't all be wrong! (Ok, with the glaring exceptions of Justin Beiber and Twillight and ....oh shit, forget I spoke)

Growler
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 03:20:16 am »
Congrats on the CD4 and VL though Will.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 04:36:59 am »
Also, don't add salt to anything.

This is going to depend on your diet.  I absolutely hate the taste of salt and have never added it to anything.  My sodium levels have always been low and really bottomed out after switching to my new diet last year.  It was suggested to me to add salt to my vegetarian diet by my doctor.  It's important to review your electrolytes when switching diets.  Most people receive more than is adequate and therefore need to reduce the intake but there is the flip side.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 04:38:50 am »
Great numbers Will.  Tofu and spinach should become your friends. ;) 

Wolife

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 09:33:05 am »
Will,

It's time to cut up your Sonic card.  I'll send you a gift card for Sprouts markets instead.   ;)

Seriously, your lipid numbers should be easily improved with some changes in diet and exercise.  I don't know if Epzicom would influence your lipids.  But I did know that Philly would chide you for bringing that up.  Fortunately, your CD4 and viral load are excellent. 

I hope your EKG and stress test go well -- don't put them off!!

Cheers,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 09:53:35 am »
will  you have  seen some  great advice  here and from the Dr....TAKE IT TO HEART...... fat and salt  will definately have to go..... otherwise great numbers  ...you  granddaughter wants you to be around to spoil her

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 10:30:33 am »

C'mon Willaye, time to tighten up that diet.

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 11:15:10 am »
This is going to depend on your diet.  I absolutely hate the taste of salt and have never added it to anything. 

I've never been much of a salt man, I dont add any table salt to my meals. Of course clearly I have been getting more than enough in my Big Macs and other such delicasies.

Will,

It's time to cut up your Sonic card.  I'll send you a gift card for Sprouts markets instead.   ;)

Henry

WTH?! Let's not go crazy.

I drowned my sorrows in a big plate of Pancakes last night (used the last of my Vermont Maple Syrup), but will get some fish oil today and start thinking about making some changes.

I don't know if Epzicom would influence your lipids.  But I did know that Philly would chide you for bringing that up. 

Henry

I do this just to rattle her cage.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 05:50:47 pm »
......and start thinking about making some changes.

Listen Granny -- you either make changes or you don't -- what is this "thinking about" shit??

You know -- you need not go whole hog (pardon the pun) -- you can make one change at a time.  Like the suggestion already made -- skip fries with your Big Mac.  Then work your way to skipping the Big Mac.  Then cut up the Sonic card.

I know you won't do it for you -- so start the journey for your granddaughter.  Someone needs to show her the proper way to flirt with the young boys.........   

Seriously though -- your results aren't awful, but you should start changing your diet now, before things get even worse.  Remember, you aren't 29 anymore.

Hugs,
M

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 07:02:45 pm »
Will,

I won't chide you to change your ways, because if you don't, your body will not last.  It really is that simple, unless you plan to die before 50, now is a good time to change your evil ways.  If you won't do it for you, do it for your friends and family.

Joe

Offline buginme2

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 08:22:49 pm »
Will,

I won't chide you to change your ways, because if you don't, your body will not last.  It really is that simple, unless you plan to die before 50, now is a good time to change your evil ways.  If you won't do it for you, do it for your friends and family.

Joe

Thats a bit dramatic.  His Cholesterol is a little high and you peeps are arranginging who best can sing Ave Maria.  He lives in Texas for Petes sake.  Land of the big!! Not to mention Whataburger.

Will, hint on the fish pills.  Store them in the freezer and take them at bedtime.  It lessens the fish burp.  Oh an but enteric coated.  They sell enteric coated at Costco. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 08:34:12 pm »
Living in Texas is no excuse for gluttony.

Who shall give us flesh to eat? We remember the fish which we did eat in Egypt freely; the cucumbers and the melons, and the leeks and the onions and the garlic

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 08:50:12 pm »
Thats a bit dramatic.  His Cholesterol is a little high and you peeps are arranginging who best can sing Ave Maria.  He lives in Texas for Petes sake.  Land of the big!! Not to mention Whataburger.

Will, hint on the fish pills.  Store them in the freezer and take them at bedtime.  It lessens the fish burp.  Oh an but enteric coated.  They sell enteric coated at Costco. 

Maybe it was a little dramatic, but he needs to be planning long term.  There is a good chance he has another 50+ years and if he changes some things now, his body will thank him later in life.  Nobody expects him to become a Vegan, but I also assume he doesn't want to have major health issues as he ages.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 09:23:27 pm »
All very good advice, and I WILL be making diet changes starting immediately.  ;) I also got my first bottle of Fish Oil today.

-Will (who is quite impressed by P's Bible quotes)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 09:24:24 pm »
::wonders what Wumpy had for dinner tonight::

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 09:37:30 pm »
::wonders what Wumpy had for dinner tonight::

sigh.

OK! I'll start tomorrow.

, Spaghetti with Homemade sauce. then I had homemade Apple Crumble for Dessert. Also made Rapsberry Jello with a can of fruit cocktail in it. Washed down with several glasses of Dr.Pepper 10(of which I am not buying any more after this 2 liter is done)

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 09:41:04 pm »
Jello with a can of fruit cocktail in it.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 11:54:20 pm »
Good luck with the changes to your diet.  I've got to make some changes, too.  I've tried to only eat at home through the week and eat out on the weekends.  I eat too much Chinese food.  Who knew it wasn't so good for you, even with the veggies?  But, as you said, your numbers aren't that bad. 

My friend and I were just talking about this---how we are at the age where we need to start making changes.  My cholesterol is in the normal range, but my triglycerides were 250.  I need to cut out fried foods and sugar.  And, my liver ultrasound showed a slight amount of fat developing.  So, that is a little worrisome.  It is time for me to stop using my elliptical as a place for clothes.  That is the biggest problem--not exercising like I use to.     

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 03:00:02 am »
Hey Will.

As the reining que ... er, king of cholesterol battles, let me just say that making gradual changes is more likely to succeed than trying to change 30 years of bad eating habits overnight.

Here is an example of a yummy yet nutritious dinner I made yesterday:

Grilled tofu served with gluten free, reduced sodium, teriyaki sauce, served with steamed beet greens drizzled with balsamic vinegar, brown rice and a seaweed salad, served with my own homemade dressing of balsamic vinegar and honteri sauce.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 07:46:32 am »
Grilled tofu served with gluten free, reduced sodium, teriyaki sauce, served with steamed beet greens drizzled with balsamic vinegar, brown rice and a seaweed salad, served with my own homemade dressing of balsamic vinegar and honteri sauce.

Ummm, Mark -- why are you trying to scare Will all the way to Sonic??   ;D

I love me some vegetables, but beet greens and seaweed salad???  Not too sure about those dear.

Hugs,
M

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 11:26:18 am »
Here is an example of a yummy yet nutritious dinner I made yesterday:

Tofu. Beet Greens. Seaweed Salad.  uhh, no. Isn't this the Welcome dinner they give you when you arrive in Hell?

This morning I nixed my normal 2 breakfast tacos and had Quaker Oats.  ;D

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline buginme2

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 11:37:11 am »

-W

Baby steps!  A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 12:33:06 pm »
I'm right there with you, Will. It is a struggle to eat healthy all the time.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 08:05:25 pm »
Will,

Believe me, ... Anything you can do, to get this under control through diet and exercise, is the way to go.  Nobody wants to have to take another pill if they can avoid it. And changing diet is never easy. One step at a time. my suggestion is to get  a journal started, of two weeks, ( or longer) of everything you eat and drink, and present it to your doctor or better yet a nutritionist, and go from there.

Good luck---Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 08:30:10 pm »
Tofu. Beet Greens. Seaweed Salad.  uhh, no. Isn't this the Welcome dinner they give you when you arrive in Hell?

-W

Good job Willy!
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Growler

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 01:27:40 am »
WTF is a Breakfast TACO ???

BTW I defend any Man's right to eat tinned fruit in jelly.....In Australia it's tradition!!

In fact, on the occasion of our her Majesty the Queen's wedding in 1947 Australia sent 500 cases of tinned pineapple as a wedding gift!

GROWLER (who always stands to attention when the Queen enters the room)
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 09:14:35 am »

Breakfast taco = tortilla + eggs + bacon or ham or sausage or potato + salsa

Breakfast taco = delicious

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 09:25:33 am »

fake gringo food not actually encountered in the principal parts of Mexico... think of a fajita

Offline wolfter

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 10:05:33 am »
Mark's meal sounds delicious except for the seaweed salad.  You can substitute a fresh spinach salad spritzed with heated vinegar.  Delicious! 

Tofu really is versatile and can be substituted in many meals.  I've reduced my carb intake but on occassion make a tofu spinach lasagna which tastes like the real fat laden version.

Wolfie

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 08:28:57 pm »
fake gringo food not actually encountered in the principal parts of Mexico... think of a fajita
\

oh great, there goes the uppity-yank splitting hairs again  ::)

Wolfie and Mark, I really cant do Tofu- I like it cubed in my hot and sour soup but thats about it.

I jazzed up my Oatmeal this morning with Splenda brown sugar blend and some cinnamon. Yum.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 09:56:13 pm »
Don't forget --- no white bread.... go whole wheat!!!

Also, take the skin off the chicken!!!  And if you must do KFC - go grilled, not fried!

Oh, and Corona ---- lots of it  ;D
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 10:47:14 pm »
fyi Wumpmaster Flex -- the McRib is back ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_t8phybHHY
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:49:16 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2011, 10:35:09 am »
fyi Wumpmaster Flex -- the McRib is back ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_t8phybHHY

HOLY SHIT! Im going to start eating lots of butter :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByfO4tIzcSs&feature=related

btw, I am starting to get the disgusting fishy belches. Its not cool at all. I am going to try freezing the capsules as previously suggested.

Also, has anyone tried the MeEga-Red Krill Oil? its supposed to not give you the burps.

-W
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:41:26 am by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2011, 10:46:32 am »

btw, I am starting to get the disgusting fishy belches. Its not cool at all. I am going to try freezing the capsules as previously suggested.

I think it did that to me at first and then went away after a while.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2011, 10:49:59 am »
Good luck with you lipids Willy . You didn't say if its the prescription fish oil you are taking but I have found that the prescription Lovasa didn't give me the fish burps . It also was covered under my insurance so it was the better deal . I cant take Lovasa any more because of some side effects but most people have no problem with it . Lovasa cut my high lipid numbers by half , wish I could take it again .    
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2011, 10:58:45 am »
Good luck with you lipids Willy . You didn't say if its the prescription fish oil you are taking but I have found that the prescription Lovasa didn't give me the fish burps . It also was covered under my insurance so it was the better deal . I cant take Lovasa any more because of some side effects but most people have no problem with it . Lovasa cut my high lipid numbers by half , wish I could take it again .    

No, it's just an otc bottle from Walgreens, Natures Bounty Brand.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2011, 11:02:41 am »
My GI-Doctor took me off of the 1,000 x 6 a day fish oil caps, and said that it wasn't a good fit for you, as you already have GI-disease, my ID-doctor also agreed w/ him  ???
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline buginme2

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2011, 11:37:09 am »
Will,

Fish burp suggestions for ya.  Buy the "enteric coated" brand at Costco.  The shell of the pill is thicker so it takes longer to disolve.  Its only a few extra dollars and well worth it.  Also try freezing them.

Krill oil is supposed to be less fishy however, ive heard some issue about their environmental friendliness.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 11:39:09 am by buginme2 »

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2011, 06:32:34 pm »
Will,

Ditto the others....try the enteric coated fish oil.  I use Natures Bounty also, but buy the pharmaceutical grade triple strength version.  You use less of it...two a day is a full dose.  The coating prevents most of the fish burp which you will most likely adjust to anyway.  Your trigs numbers are nowhere near high enough to be prescribed Lovaza (my doctor won't let me have it either.)  You will adjust to the fish oil...it does work along with diet and exercise.  There are medication options (Lopid or TriCor) if these methods don't work.  There has been lots of discussions on this forum about this phenomenon (excessive lipids.)  No doubt our American diet contributes to this (and so much salt is hidden in processed food) but I am convinced our HIV+ status is an additional contributor.  Take it a day at a time...there's plenty of reasons to believe these steps will lower your lipid levels.

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2011, 08:57:56 pm »
Will,

Ditto the others....try the enteric coated fish oil.  I use Natures Bounty also, but buy the pharmaceutical grade triple strength version.  You use less of it...two a day is a full dose.  The coating prevents most of the fish burp which you will most likely adjust to anyway.  Your trigs numbers are nowhere near high enough to be prescribed Lovaza (my doctor won't let me have it either.)  You will adjust to the fish oil...it does work along with diet and exercise.  There are medication options (Lopid or TriCor) if these methods don't work.  There has been lots of discussions on this forum about this phenomenon (excessive lipids.)  No doubt our American diet contributes to this (and so much salt is hidden in processed food) but I am convinced our HIV+ status is an additional contributor.  Take it a day at a time...there's plenty of reasons to believe these steps will lower your lipid levels.

Gary

Thanks Gary. Also, I still think it is some component of my meds or the HIV itself as you suggest (queue the rolling eyes of MissP). I've never had a prob with my lipids, matter of fact several years ago I had a doctor remark that he couldnt beleive how low my chol was considering how I ate.

But "it is what it is".

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.